The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#1721 » by miller31time » Wed Nov 2, 2022 1:21 am

Sacramento should have a title in 2002 had it not been for clearly fixed reffing in their WCF series against the Lakers.
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#1722 » by Endless Loop » Wed Nov 2, 2022 10:51 pm

So- Snyder may sell the Commanders. It's a fantastic day in DC! Because Snyder is one of the worst owners in all sports, and the Commanders under him have been beyond horrible.

Well, let's do a comparison.

During Snyder's tenure with the Commanders, the team has won 156 games and lost 212. It's a 42.3% winning percentage.

Since 2011 under Leonsis (the first year he controlled the team), the Wizards have won 398 games and lost 468. It's a 45.9% winning percentage.

And how about now? I'd argue that the Commanders are in much better shape than the Wizards. Ignoring ownership issues, they have a decent culture, the players play hard, they are very well positioned vis a vis the salary cap, and their last couple of drafts haven't been all bad. In fact, if Sam Howell turns out well, I'd even say they've been pretty damn good.

The Wizards have one of the worst contracts in the NBA, and it's got 5 years to go. The team culture has gone nowhere. There seems to be no accountability for anything- we're probably stuck with Unseld and Tommy for the next 5 years.

I'm NOT saying Snyder is a good owner. I'm euphoric he's selling.

I'm just saying that the numbers say that Leonsis' results, purely from the perspective of team performance, have been as bad or worse.
Endless Loop
Sophomore

Post#1723 » by Endless Loop » Wed Nov 2, 2022 11:01 pm

Thought I'd add-

If you take the Wizards record over the last 5 years, they are 169 and 221. That's a 43.3% winning percentage.

No better at all than Snyder, with a significantly worse outlook.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#1724 » by payitforward » Thu Nov 3, 2022 1:32 am

Endless Loop wrote:So- Snyder may sell the Commanders. It's a fantastic day in DC! Because Snyder is one of the worst owners in all sports, and the Commanders under him have been beyond horrible.

Well, let's do a comparison.

During Snyder's tenure with the Commanders, the team has won 156 games and lost 212. It's a 42.3% winning percentage.

Since 2011 under Leonsis (the first year he controlled the team), the Wizards have won 398 games and lost 468. It's a 45.9% winning percentage.

And how about now? I'd argue that the Commanders are in much better shape than the Wizards. Ignoring ownership issues, they have a decent culture, the players play hard, they are very well positioned vis a vis the salary cap, and their last couple of drafts haven't been all bad. In fact, if Sam Howell turns out well, I'd even say they've been pretty damn good.

The Wizards have one of the worst contracts in the NBA, and it's got 5 years to go. The team culture has gone nowhere. There seems to be no accountability for anything- we're probably stuck with Unseld and Tommy for the next 5 years.

I'm NOT saying Snyder is a good owner. I'm euphoric he's selling.

I'm just saying that the numbers say that Leonsis' results, purely from the perspective of team performance, have been as bad or worse.

I think 2010 was Ted's first year. We won 23 games that year. In that 12 year span, we've averaged just over 35 wins a year.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Endless Loop
Sophomore

Post#1725 » by Endless Loop » Sat Nov 5, 2022 6:13 pm

More on Ted v Snyder.

To Ted's credit, the fan experience at the arena for the Wizards has been very good, so much better than the Commanders. That matters a lot.

But back to the on the court comparison, we're now at the point where Ted's laziness comes to the front. This is clearly an underperforming team. The yo-yo results this last week show that the issues are off the court. Anyway, Wes has gotten what he wanted this last year. Got rid of Dinwiddie because he alienated the guy. In the offseason he got two of his Nuggets buddies to come in.

You can either trade the whole team yet again, or you can make a coaching change. Fair or not, that's where we are.

But that sort of action is so un-Ted. Which is why his results are just as bad as Snyder's.

One other thing about Ted being lazy. When they went through the big Wizards restructuring two years ago, did Ted lead that effort? No, he hired consultants.

If you want to turn around an organization, you roll up your sleeves and show up at the office. Ted needs to spend a couple of weeks watching what people in his organization do every day. He needs to talk to players. He needs to understand why the top organizations are rated the best. The answers aren't a secret. Don't worry about hurting feelings. Just figure it out.

Say what you will about Elon, when he bought Twitter he didn't send in a bunch of consultants and wait a few months to figure out what was going on. He showed up, started working 16 hour days, and we'll see the results soon. (This is no comment on his politics or anything else, just an observation about how the most successful business person in the world got that way.).

Ted shouldn't take advice from people with vested interests that differ from his and the team's. He should just do the work.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#1726 » by TGW » Sun Nov 6, 2022 1:25 am

miller31time wrote:Sacramento should have a title in 2002 had it not been for clearly fixed reffing in their WCF series against the Lakers.

I remember that. The NBA should have been investigated after that game.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 602

Post#1727 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=MzkBTapwErLZOu1ufBnrWQ

Not sure why but this made me think about Monumental Sports investments with FTX. Now that FTX has gone bankrupt I can’t help but wonder how much it cost him and how it may effect his bid to buy the Nats. And if it has any impact on his other investments.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1728 » by Frichuela » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:42 am

Amazed the last posting was mid-Nov, time to refloat this and say f***** ya Turd for the pathetic product you are putting on court, and worse than that there is no hope as long as you are pulling the strings. So, pls sell this franchise into better and more competent hands and f***** off.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1729 » by FAH1223 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:08 am

Was at the game tonight

Didn’t see Ted sitting court side at his usual spot. Guess he didn’t want to face Wall
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1730 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:45 pm

Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said his team won't rebuild with Alex Ovechkin on the roster, having promised his star captain that the club will remain competitive while he chases Wayne Gretzky's all-time NHL goals record.

Dumb Ted strikes again, he let's his star players run/control the direction of his teams.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1731 » by FAH1223 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:29 pm

closg00 wrote:
Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said his team won't rebuild with Alex Ovechkin on the roster, having promised his star captain that the club will remain competitive while he chases Wayne Gretzky's all-time NHL goals record.

Dumb Ted strikes again, he let's his star players run/control the direction of his teams.

Atleast Ovie is an All-Time great.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1732 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:50 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Atleast Ovie is an All-Time great.

Not taking anything away from our GOAT, but come-on, Ted's thinking on this is absurd
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#1733 » by lastemp3ror » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:29 pm

closg00 wrote:

It is worse than that, cause a non-star player is controlling the Wizards.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#1734 » by AFM » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:03 pm

Beal may not be a "star" but he's the front runner for MIP (Most Inoculated Player)
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#1735 » by Wizardspride » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:47 pm

closg00 wrote:

In this case I'm with Ted.

Assuming no major injuries, Alex could break that record within the next year or so.

I think the overwhelming majority of Cap fans are fine with this.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#1736 » by doclinkin » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:20 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
closg00 wrote:

In this case I'm with Ted.

Assuming no major injuries, Alex can could break that record within the next year or so.

I think the overwhelming majority of Cap fans are fine with this.

My sentiments as well. If you have an all-time great who gives you a chance to win anything it is worth the effort to put a team around them. It is a good read of what those fans want.

Difference with the Wizards is we don't have an all-time great, and the only chance to get one would be if we fell hard into lottery land then lucked out.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1737 » by FAH1223 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:49 am

Read on Twitter

Wizards catch a stray
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#1738 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:17 pm

Oh man... that's for the ages. Ted ought to be forced to listen to that 10 times a day.

I especially loved
Spoiler:
"...the great Bradley Beal."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#1739 » by AFM » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:14 pm

Thought I'd bump Ted's comment from this past summer:

Read on Twitter
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1740 » by miller31time » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:43 pm

Yeah, just a free agent away. As long as that free agent is Giannis or Jokic.

Return to Washington Wizards