ImageImageImageImageImage

How do you fix this team?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Re: How do you fix this team? 

Post#901 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Aug 3, 2011 4:57 pm

This year I'd like to keep Young, and pick up FA Aaron Gray to add to the center mix.

From there replace Lewis' roster spot with Harrison Barnes in next year's draft.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#902 » by 7-Day Dray » Wed Aug 3, 2011 6:27 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:This year I'd like to keep Young, and pick up FA Aaron Gray to add to the center mix.

From there replace Lewis' roster spot with Harrison Barnes in next year's draft.

I really like this idea.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#903 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 3, 2011 6:56 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:This year I'd like to keep Young, and pick up FA Aaron Gray to add to the center mix.

How much is Aaron Gray going to cost? If it's a multi-year deal I'd pass. I don't see him as a potential core piece. Just a nondescript backup C who played well for a few games in a playoff series. I ain't buyin'!

Still not all that interested in paying Young long term. If he comes dirt cheap then sure but anything over 3yrs or $15 million guaranteed is going to make me look elsewhere. And I think I'd even hesitate at that number.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#904 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 3, 2011 7:01 pm

I'm with Dat. Either signing is fine -- depending on the price. The lower the better with both guys.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#905 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Aug 3, 2011 7:43 pm

Nivek wrote:I'm with Dat. Either signing is fine -- depending on the price. The lower the better with both guys.

I like Young as a guy still improving defensively, and a flat out scorer at SG and SF with good size/length.

Gray I like because he adds something we lack and need, a big center who can hold his ground inside. He fits in with the youth movement and seems to be still developing and finding his game. He plays hard, and would make for a solid rotation with McGee IMO.

If we can depart Lewis through contract amnesty after the lockout, or move his expiring deal next offseason, Barnes would be a perfect replacement as a potential star tandem with Wall and add a big time perimeter shooter for Wall to dish to, and would be a nice mix with Singleton at SF.

C - McGee, Gray, Seraphin
PF- Blatche, Vesely, Booker
SF- Barnes, Singleton, (Young/Vesely)
SG- Young, Crawford
PG- Wall, Mack, (Crawford)

I'd love that 12 man foundation to build on, alot of youth to continue to develop and mesh as a unit, and reasonable and realistic. Solid depth, nice mix of offensive and defensive talent, and could be very exciting... Wall to McGee or Vesely for the dunk, Barnes and Young knocking down jumpers, Book and Singleton bringing some physicality, etc.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#906 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 3, 2011 7:59 pm

Gray isn't much of a scorer. Very low usage last season; average efficiency. He's a turnover machine. His defensive numbers have been unimpressive. Probably passable as a backup center, but he's not someone to invest much in.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#907 » by theboomking » Wed Aug 3, 2011 8:34 pm

We need to resign Young. After we jettison Lewis, who else do we.have that can shoot? Young is very likely to understand that he isn't going to find a better fit than here. With Wall, Yound isn't asked to do anything but shoot. His lack of ability to attack the rim, and his poor assist numbers are less.of.an issue because the system doesn't require those.things out of him. The only way I see us not re-upping Young is if he gets offered a HUGE contract elsewhere, or if.we.luck into a better SG.

I'm pretty plus/minus on Gray. He likely wouldn't be too expensive, and we do need a backup center. Gray isn't going to make or break us however.

Barnes would be an utterly perfect fit with Wall. I would go crazy if we drafted him, but we'd likely have to draft top 3, which would take.a.lot.of.luck. I look for us to be drafting in the 8-10 range, or.lower if.Wall is great and we get decent play out of McGee and Blatche.

Return to Washington Wizards