Jordan Crawford

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#561 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 pm

jivelikenice wrote:I really appreciate how Crawford's game has come along and his improved efficiency. That being said, he does seem like our best trade chip and I think we need to think about packaging him for bigger piece to the puzzle now, or no later than this summer. His contract is up after next season and he definitely will get offers as a RFA. I would not want to invest $4-5 MM per on a mullti year contract on Jordan considering what we'll have to invest eventually on Wall and Beal. We can't have that much $ tied into two positions and a scoring 6th man is a luxury that we shouldn't spend on until we're ready to contend. If we wait past this summer, his value deminishes so the time to move him is in the near future.

Good point.

What we need is for Jordan Crawford to continue with his solid season, only couple that with consistent winning by the team. Right now, I think too many view Crawford as "fools gold" who can only accumulate stats as a chucker on a bad team. They may indeed by right about that, but hopefully a sustained stretch of winning in the second half of the season, perhaps with a few more buzzer beater highlights on ESPN, will convince some that Crawford is the next Jason Terry. That could boost his trade value enough so that he is more than merely modest sweetener in some other deal.

The likely scenario is that he'll pan out to be not quite good enough to have much trade value, but too good to be resigned cheaply. Basically, he'll be on the Nick Young track.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#562 » by mohammed10 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
Good point.

What we need is for Jordan Crawford to continue with his solid season, only couple that with consistent winning by the team. Right now, I think too many view Crawford as "fools gold" who can only accumulate stats as a chucker on a bad team. They may indeed by right about that, but hopefully a sustained stretch of winning in the second half of the season, perhaps with a few more buzzer beater highlights on ESPN, will convince some that Crawford is the next Jason Terry. That could boost his trade value enough so that he is more than merely modest sweetener in some other deal.

The likely scenario is that he'll pan out to be not quite good enough to have much trade value, but too good to be resigned cheaply. Basically, he'll be on the Nick Young track.

True, but talk about damning Craw with faint praise...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#563 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm

A lot of people like OJ Mayo a lot, and he has stepped up this season. Mayo's a year older than Crawford. Crawford's stats this season are a lot like Mayo's were last season. If Craw makes that same kind of leap, he'll be somewhat comparable to Mayo - and a nice trade chip.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#564 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:A lot of people like OJ Mayo a lot, and he has stepped up this season. Mayo's a year older than Crawford. Crawford's stats this season are a lot like Mayo's were last season. If Craw makes that same kind of leap, he'll be somewhat comparable to Mayo - and a nice trade chip.

I don't see Mayo as dramatically improved, but in a sense, his improvement is exactly what the Wizards need from Crawford. Specifically, Mayo's improvement so far this season is better shooting from 3pt range, better shooting from the FT line, and 0.7 assists per 36 minutes.

Crawford's current numbers on the latter two are more than good enough. If Crawford could shoot 40% from 3pt range, he'd be valuable.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#565 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 pm

And I expect some of Crawford's future improvement to come from getting more foul shots. He has the ability to drive to the basket, so I expect as he learns more tricks and gains more respect around the Association, he'll get to the line more.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#566 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 am

nate33 wrote:I agree that Wall needs to start, but I wouldn't flip flop Webster and Ariza. As a catch-and-shoot player, Webster is best utilized on a team with other primary options who know how to draw defensive attention and then kick the ball to the corner. Wall and Nene are the best on the team at that. Webster's gifts are wasted on the second unit which mostly runs Crawford and Seraphin isolation and pick and rolls. Also, the 2nd unit isn't in dire need of outside shooting at the SF spot because at least Price can shoot. They can get away with Ariza's less accurate shot and try to make it up at the other end with Ariza's superior D.

That is the stuff I was considering.

Not sure I have the answers which is why I want to actually see both at some point. For now, they should keep Webster at SF starting. But he has to bring it every game. He does tend to disappear sometimes.

But as roles get developed, hopefully that happens less.
hands11
Banned User

Post#567 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 am

nate33 wrote:Here's a screen of 35+ foot attempts with 1 second on the clock. These are the truly futile attempts. Crawford has taken 7 of them (making none). If he simply did the Lebron and waitied for the buzzer before releasing, his 3pt percentage would be a respectable .354.

http://bkref.com/tiny/MSRqh

It would be nice if 3PT % was calculated in two numbers One pure and one with shots taken with 1 sec left removed. I beat a lot of PG take a lot of those shots since the ball is in bounded to them and they heave it.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#568 » by jivelikenice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:36 am

Trying to figure out the Wiz's vision here. It's obvious that they like the Wall/Beal backcourt and they envision Crawfrd as that scoring 6th man off the bench. What I'm trying to figure out is has this worked before? Meaning, it seems like most teams that have a scoring guard off the bench in a sixth man role have more of a role player starting at one of the backcourt spots. That way the closing lineup differs from the starting lineup. I'm sure the vision here is to have Beal playing heavy minutes with Wall and playing down the stretch. Theoretically you can play all three together to get enough minutes for both two guards, but with Randy showing no interest in playing a 3 guard lineup, that doesn't even seem like a possibility. Minutes for one of the guards and the corresponding impact on their performances will be a game to game issue here. They almost HAVE to deal Crawford. The question the becomes what's more important; a SF or a skilled stretch 4?
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#569 » by BruceO » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm

i don't follow on your they almost have to trade crawford line of thought..aren't they managing the minutes ok now? doesn't crawford have a role as a sixth man scorer? and even if he's inefficient..( which btw i want to see for usage) compared to the average nba player...he is pretty cheap for what he gives us. thats why he's an asset
hands11
Banned User

Post#570 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:08 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/nam ... on-wizards

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... fjo02.html

Leading scorer on the team. Cost 2M next year. His stock just keep rising and his year over year numbers just keep getting better.

And some of you said he would never get any better and wanted to trade him for a ham sandwich. lol

Mostly it was his 3 ball number that were dragging his numbers down. More specifically his top of the key 3 ball. Crawford January 3 ball is .483%. For the year he is at .338. Last year he was .289

Should be interesting to see how he settles in now that Wall is starting and he is coming off the bench with Price where he can be more himself. That was his best game since returning from injury.

All the sudden with Beal, Webster and Crawford, Price and Trevor A, the Wizard have been a good 3 ball shooting team.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#571 » by jivelikenice » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 pm

BruceO wrote:i don't follow on your they almost have to trade crawford line of thought..aren't they managing the minutes ok now? doesn't crawford have a role as a sixth man scorer? and even if he's inefficient..( which btw i want to see for usage) compared to the average nba player...he is pretty cheap for what he gives us. thats why he's an asset

I dont think minutes have been managed well between Beal and Crawford. Yesterday worked out because it was a blowout, but Beal hasn't been getting enough 4th Q minutes since Craword returned. My point was that if Wittman is unwilling to play all 3 together or give Jordan minutes at the backpack point, I don't see how him and Beal both fulfill the organization's vision of them. Beal long term is more than a 28 mpg player....and Jordan wont be happy only playing 20....if this is going to work, Wittman has to be willing to play small or let Jordan backup John.

In regards to Jordan's value Hands, your reasoning is why his value is at a high. If we deal him it has to be at the deadline or the offseason, otherwise his value will diminish since his cotract will be up after next season. I'm in no way suggesting moving him for a marginal player, but if he's a piece that can help land a legit third piece to add to the front court, go for it....the reality is if we don't, it will be difficult keep him after next season.
hands11
Banned User

Post#572 » by hands11 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:46 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
BruceO wrote:i don't follow on your they almost have to trade crawford line of thought..aren't they managing the minutes ok now? doesn't crawford have a role as a sixth man scorer? and even if he's inefficient..( which btw i want to see for usage) compared to the average nba player...he is pretty cheap for what he gives us. thats why he's an asset

I dont think minutes have been managed well between Beal and Crawford. Yesterday worked out because it was a blowout, but Beal hasn't been getting enough 4th Q minutes since Craword returned. My point was that if Wittman is unwilling to play all 3 together or give Jordan minutes at the backpack point, I don't see how him and Beal both fulfill the organization's vision of them. Beal long term is more than a 28 mpg player....and Jordan wont be happy only playing 20....if this is going to work, Wittman has to be willing to play small or let Jordan backup John.

In regards to Jordan's value Hands, your reasoning is why his value is at a high. If we deal him it has to be at the deadline or the offseason, otherwise his value will diminish since his contract will be up after next season. I'm in no way suggesting moving him for a marginal player, but if he's a piece that can help land a legit third piece to add to the front court, go for it....the reality is if we don't, it will be difficult keep him after next season.

What you are concerned about is something I have been posting about for a while so I get your concern. It is a situation that need monitored. We really don't know what they are thinking or how Crawford feels about his role or this team longer term.

How he is used is something to watch over the next 3 games now that Wall is starting. Nothing wrong with the minutes and production they got from Beal and Crawford last night. And for now, Beal is a little injured so less minutes for him can help him heal.

How things work out longer term...yeah...its something that will most likely involve moving Crawford eventually. Just have to make sure we have something to line up in that slot. Thats one of the reasons we may want to draft C.J. McCollum.

For now, its a good problem to have. They finally have depth at PG and SG.
hands11
Banned User

Post#573 » by hands11 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_ ... n-crawford

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6580/bradley-beal

Beal headed to the locker room in the first half of Wednesday's game due to a sore wrist but was able to return, the Washington Post reports. "It was my wrist, it was really bothering me," Beal said. "I can't use it as an excuse. If I'm out there playing, I have to be doing something. I got to make my shots and free throws, because they're free. I've got to do better." (about 3 days ago)

I think once they are both healthy, we are going to have a really nice combination at SG. For now, I think Crawford is ready to go off. If Beal is hurt, get him some rest. We need them both and a healthy Beal was looking simply awesome.

But lets not forget Crawford has been getting better as well. He has improved his efficiency. And we all know he is capable of just going off. Triple doubles going off. 40 pt games going off. He is doing really well for Jan.

.483 from the field and .500 from 3 over over 10 games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopb2gTXOuY[/youtube]
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#574 » by AFM » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:08 am

I love his jump shot form. So sweet. Also the way he dribbles the ball, almost like hes having a spaz attack.
hands11
Banned User

Post#575 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:11 am

Randy has busted J Craws big balls worse then a nagging wife.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... n-a-slump/

Dudes numbers were going up year over year nicely until Randy yanked his chain one to many times.

I don't think he is a slump so much as they just aren't using him enough for him to get in a rhythm.

If they gave him the 37 minutes like they gave Temple, he would have had 20 pts or more, not 15.

The two games he played before going out to rest his ankle where he got minutes.

35 min, 7-15, 4 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 20 pts
43 mins, 9-13, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 4-5 from 3, 23 pts

It was nice to see Temple have a good game though. I do like him. I guess its up to Crawford to adjust his game again. I think they want him to be a Rip Hamilton. Kind of like they didn't like Nick dribbling. But at least when Craw dribbles, he attacks the basket and passes as part of what he is doing. I don't mind some dribbling if its not all side to side like Nick would do.

If I was Crawford, I would focus on driving and driving and dishing, and rebounding. Save the shooting for spot up corner 3s. Nothing else. That way he won't get yanked for taking a shot Randy doesn't like since only way to get a corner 3 is to have someone pass it to you.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#576 » by jivelikenice » Wed Feb 6, 2013 1:14 am

Crawford isn't in a slump. He's pouting...him and Wittman are butting heads and instead of figuring out how to get out of the doghouse, he makes the situation worse by hoisting up terrible shots and running three pointers. Should he have been in Wittman's doghouse? Not based on what I've seen on the court. Something has to have occurred behind the scenes. His shot selection is bad, but it always has been and its their own fault for giving him the absolute green light as he broke into the NBA.

I don't feel sorry for either side. Crawford has a history of this(remember last yr when he was taking embarassingly long 3 pointers in Atlanta because he was mad that Nick was starting).....just a poorly handled situation by all parties.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#577 » by AFM » Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:44 am

I feel bad for Crawford. Wittman hates him I think.
hands11
Banned User

Post#578 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:01 am

jivelikenice wrote:Crawford isn't in a slump. He's pouting...him and Wittman are butting heads and instead of figuring out how to get out of the doghouse, he makes the situation worse by hoisting up terrible shots and running three pointers. Should he have been in Wittman's doghouse? Not based on what I've seen on the court. Something has to have occurred behind the scenes. His shot selection is bad, but it always has been and its their own fault for giving him the absolute green light as he broke into the NBA.

I don't feel sorry for either side. Crawford has a history of this(remember last yr when he was taking embarassingly long 3 pointers in Atlanta because he was mad that Nick was starting).....just a poorly handled situation by all parties.

Not sure exactly what Crawford has done so wrong but I can tell you a ton of things he has done right.

He shot to much and had questionable shots no different then any scorer does when on a team that can't score. If it wasn't for Crawford they wouldn't have had anything most nights. He was the only player on the team that could actually create a shot. He has been the best young talent on the team all year. Actually, he has been the best talent on the team period most the year. And if we are talking about questionable shots, Wall has had plenty. Gil did it all the time. Specially his first year when the team had no scoring options and even well beyond that when they did. Hell, Kevin S does it all the time. I don't see him getting hosed like Crawford. What makes him so different ? And Kevin leaves a lot to be desired lots of game. Where is his rebounding. Where is the strong picks. Kevin has taken way more quick shots then Crawford this year.

I would argue Crawford has done everything the team needed to the best of his abilities and those abilities include a couple of triple doubles. Not something the average player pulls off even once in their career let alone several time in 2.5 years as a part time starter.

He started when they needed it. He went to back up SG. He played back up PG. He played starting PG. He even backed up lesser players and he never made a peep. He rebounds and he dishes out assists. He isn't a selfish player. He always dishes it to the trailer on a fast break. He is no Larry Hughes 1 on 4 or Nick1on5. And for his shortcomings, he had gotten better year after year. Actually a player on this team that has developed. And what does he get for that. Treated like an after thought.

And he has been a steady positive voice in the locker room even through all the suck. He never pointed fingers. He always manned up to his part. He never complained when he got yanked around. No. He said every game is a blessing. He has nothing to complain about.

Where does the dis come from? Because he has big balls and wears Steez shades. Because he is unshakably confident. These are bad things ?

If Randy has a problem with Crawford then I have a problem with Randy. F Randy. I think Crawford has done a better job doing his job then Randy has doing his. And you know what. I bet Crawford adjusts again and does well in whatever new role they have for him. You know why. Because he actually has talent. More then I can say about Randy so far.

He is signed through 2014. He has nothing but time to continue to develop his game and that is how he will approach it. He has already played at 3 roles on the team well, if they went him to develop into a 4th, he will. He is slowly developing into a valuable multidimensional play can fit on lots of teams. Specially when he makes this last adaption. He isn't going to say anything. But one day, when the time is right and the advantage turns to his favor, he is going to most likely back hand them with it. And I wouldn't blame him one bit.

For now, sit back and watch him adjust his game again.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#579 » by Knighthonor » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:44 am

I get the feeling that Crawford will be traded and become a superstar and get a title on whatever team he on. Rip situation all over again.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#580 » by jivelikenice » Wed Feb 6, 2013 6:02 am

Superstar???...no chance. Third guard on a good team. Not a bad thing either...just nowhere near a superstar.

Return to Washington Wizards