ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Official Randy Wittman Thread - 1 More Year with Option 

Post#501 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:12 am

So who has an updated list of coaches we could get ?

That Orlando coach just got canned.

Magic fire Jacque Vaughn
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12283 ... que-vaughn

he Orlando Magic fired coach Jacque Vaughn after two and a half seasons on Thursday, ending the tenure of the first-time coach brought in to help rebuild the NBA team.

Man, team just feel stuck with Randy.

Wonder is Newman has anything to offer.
bealwithit
Bench Warmer
And1: 616

Post#502 » by bealwithit » Fri Feb 6, 2015 3:33 am

One of the biggest complaints that keeps coming up with Wittman is that we don't shoot enough 3s because Randy believes in the long-2 and taking the shot if it's an open shot. Tonight's game obviously being extremely frustrating it's easy to see where this problem comes in. The Hornets were 6-25 from three while we were 5-10. They still won. I think we all know the NBA has changed into three point shooting and dunks becoming a staple of a ton of offenses. We keep getting praised for being efficient with three point shots while still not taking very many of them, but is it really worth it to be efficient with them? Or is it a better idea to just attempt them if your team is equipped with decent-good three point shooters and hope for the best?

Looking at the top 10 in three pointers attempted (3PA):
1. Houston
2. Portland
3. Golden State
4. Phoenix
5. Dallas
6. LA Clippers
7. Toronto
8. Atlanta
9. Detroit
10. Cleveland
Every single one of those teams are playoff teams except for Detroit.

Looking at the bottom 10 in 3PA:
21. Miami
22. Orlando
23. Lakers
24. New Orleans
25. Milwaukee
26. Charlotte
27. Washington
28. Memphis
29. Sacramento
30. Minnesota
A bunch of crap teams except us, the Grizzlies and the Pelicans. I'll give Milwaukee a pat on the back just because I like Giannis.

Obviously the Grizzlies have been built on playing old school, tough, inside big man basketball because of their excellent combination of Marc Gasol and Z-bo. That's their identity.

The Pelicans have possibly the best big man, if not overall player in the NBA with The Brow. Don't forget Tyreke Evans who is practically a magician when it comes to getting to the rim. Pretty good excuse.

We've got our own big man combination in Gortat in Nene, but this season they have ranged from below average to good depending on the night. Not a great excuse. Wall also isn't the same level of three point shooter compared to the point guards on some of those top 10 teams like Curry, Lillard, Kyrie, CP3, Lowry... you get the point.

Now if you go by just looking at those attempt rankings, coming to the conclusion that it's a better idea to just attempt three pointers and worry about the efficiency later than actually being mindful of your three point efficiency would be logical.

Let's take a look at the 3P% then...
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/ ... eldGoalPct
Decided to just link the rankings instead of copy pasting the whole thing, because the examples I'll be using are all over the place.
Obviously some of the same teams that were top 10 in attempts are also in the top 10 here... Golden State, Atlanta, LA Clippers, Portland, Phoenix... but wait... Milwaukee, New York and Orlando?! Yeah, statistically they are top 10 in three point shooting percentage. They don't attempt very many of them though, very similar to us. So... huh? Then you've also got teams like Houston (14th), Cleveland (13th), Toronto (16th), Dallas (11th) and Chicago (12th) outside of the top 10, sort of in the middle of the pack. Interesting.

So what's my point? All I wanted to see here was if Randy's apparent hate of taking too many threes actually made any sense and from what we've just seen, it doesn't. Clearly, three point shooting isn't what makes a team good or bad. But it has become a huge part of being a successful team in the NBA since 9 out of the top 10 three point attempting teams are in the playoffs. Is it better to actually be efficient with them? Like anything ever, even outside of sports, you never want to be inefficient with something. However looking at where those top 10 3PA teams actually rank in 3P% it doesn't seem to make much of a difference if you're an average 3 point shooting team, as long as you take enough to give yourself a chance to make enough of them. It makes up for itself.

The emphasis on spacing in the NBA has made it much simpler to find and take open 3 point shots fairly easily. Every playoff team seems to understand this except for us. Again, the Grizzlies get a free pass because they can actually pull off their old school big man combo. Z-bo and MGasol are much better than Nene and Gortat. (Not hating on our guys, just being honest)

We need more three point shooting and probably a new coach who understands that you don't really need the three point shot to be the perfect shot. In today's game if you take enough of them, they'll go in and you win games, provided you do a bunch of other things right too. :)
hands11
Banned User

Post#503 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 5:20 am

Main board ranked the 30 NBA coaches.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1370892#start_here

bealwithit... I agree.
I've been posting that same information. Just us and MEM. But they have a different kind of center then we do. And a much better coach.
hands11
Banned User

Post#504 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 8, 2015 5:07 pm

Well. That was interesting.

That was the most PnR and PnP they have run since I can't remember.
They also got up slightly below league average 20 three ball attempts but 20 is 4-5 above the Wizards average

Add that to solid help defense and fast break and what did we get...

A blow out. 37 pts. Lead from start to finish. Yeah it was only BRK but BRK had been on a mini run having lost to TOR in OT, beating LAC then beating TOR in TOR then beating NY.

I saw PnR to Gortat to start the game. PnP to Nene and PnR to even KLife for a nasty dunk.

Why I heard no reporters talking about this is kind of amazing. All they are talking about it the defense. Defense was better, but that is only half the story if that much. They still ran one Nene left post play for Gortat which failed terribly. Besides that....

It was lots more PnR and PnP, and that's what made the offense look so much better. Hell, they even tried a back screen to free up a corner three. But it didn't work and the passed out of it without getting a shot up. They need to kick the rust off that play.

Look at the shot chart.

http://espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=400579051

Plenty of 3s across the rim. Sadly, only one corner three. They need to get that back in their game.
And most the mid range was right side elbow from PP who was shooting blanks.

Other then that, only 2 long twos. One each by Wall and Otto. Otto hit his. Mid range is in his wheel house so him taking one is ok.

Its progress. Keep running the PnR and PnP. And lets add back the corner 3.

Hopefully Bradley is taking notes and comes back doing more catch and shoot and less dribbling, holding and dribbling into long 2s.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,025

Post#505 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 8, 2015 10:16 pm

hands11 wrote:Main board ranked the 30 NBA coaches.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1370892#start_here

bealwithit... I agree.
I've been posting that same information. Just use and MEM. But they have a different kind of center then we do. And a much better coach.

Get rid of the GM first - then the coach...
hands11
Banned User

Post#506 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:26 am

Great break down of what was wrong with that TOR last play..

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/2/12 ... final-play

Not sure when Randy is going to decide to do it, but I thought we brought Paul here to help close game. Give him the ball for that final shot. Let him make a move, pump fake, whatever. He is Paul Freakn Peirce. And he was playing well.

Give him the ball Randy.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... me-2-11-15

As for the first thing he says here. Came out of a time out with a 10 pt 73-62 and turned it over 4 out of 5 possession. Well that why they give you time outs Randy. They used one. How about you use one.

Should have never let more then 6 pts wing happen like that. And no way you let that many turnover happen with out using a time out. Not in a game that was so important.

Randy actually coached a really good game. Up until that point where he brain farted. And then farted again on that last play with what he called. Not enough time to run that play. Doesn't take much from a coach to blow it in a close game. And even then, it took an amazingly tough shot by D Roz to get the lead and win that.

In case anyone didn't remember the turnovers, they were.

John Wall bad pass (Louis Williams steals)
Amir Johnson blocks Paul Pierce 's 27-foot three point jumper
Patrick Patterson blocks Marcin Gortat's layup
Garrett Temple bad pass (Louis Williams steals)

PS.. what the hell is wrong with this site that it keeps trunking the URL you post so they don't work ?
hands11
Banned User

Post#507 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:54 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... -24-Titles

Best-Efficiency-Differential-Team-Has-Won-10-Of-Past-24-Titles

Yes, coaching matters.

Look how well Steve is going with GS. He took a good team and made them one of if not, the best in the league.

Look at ATL.

Alright Randy. All lights are on you. You get the benefit of the doubt pre ASB assuming some inefficiency is about developing players.

But now its post ASB. Save the development stuff for the offseason and next year.

Lets see what cha got. Lets see a more efficient offense with more PnR, more spread, more motion, and less long 2s from Beal when he returns.
hands11
Banned User

Post#508 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:55 am

It would be hard for me to imagine a stupider approach to play calling then offensive focus given this roster than what Randy did this game. Specially to start it.

What last play in the world I would have run to start the game was Gortat left post Nene iso play. Where does he come up with the crap.

and the offense is pure garbage. Thats why there are so many turnovers. Defenses are in our short because the offense is stupid and they know if they press the passer, there are no easy outlets because no one is moving.

Three ? No.. We don't set up open three anymore. Great at his last year. This year. No. we don't run the same play.

PnR to Gortat ? No.. No more of that.

Randy, thank you for what you did. Love the team is known for their defensive focus. But the team needs someone a bit better then you running the show at this point. Why you remain so clueless in light of so many obvious answers, I will never understand.

You just have no clue how to run an offense or how to use this roster.

Been here before but you won one playoff series and seems to get it for a moment. But you don't. Please leave.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#509 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:12 am

Checkers first then Wittman :)
hands11
Banned User

Post#510 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:30 am

hands11 wrote:Well. That was interesting.

They also got up slightly below league average 20 three ball attempts but 20 is 4-5 above the Wizards average

A blow out. 37 pts. Lead from start to finish. Yeah it was only BRK but BRK had been on a mini run having lost to TOR in OT, beating LAC then beating TOR in TOR then beating NY.

I saw PnR to Gortat to start the game. PnP to Nene and PnR to even KLife for a nasty dunk.

Why I heard no reporters talking about this is kind of amazing. All they are talking about it the defense. Defense was better, but that is only half the story if that much. They still ran one Nene left post play for Gortat which failed terribly. Besides that....

It was lots more PnR and PnP, and that's what made the offense look so much better. Hell, they even tried a back screen to free up a corner three. But it didn't work and the passed out of it without getting a shot up. They need to kick the rust off that play.

Look at the shot chart.

Plenty of 3s across the rim. Sadly, only one corner three. They need to get that back in their game.

Other then that, only 2 long twos. One each by Wall and Otto. Otto hit his. Mid range is in his wheel house so him taking one is ok.

Hopefully Bradley is taking notes and comes back doing more catch and shoot and less dribbling, holding and dribbling into long 2s.

What happen to this game plan above? Good enough to blow out BRK, but he went back to his crap plan of no 3s and no PnR and we got blown out.

What is it with Randy ?

Listen to John http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... me-2-20-15
They ran a lot of PnR. First thing he said. We turned it over a lot. They spread the floor. We got down 20. We started cutting the lead... they hit 3 three and knocked us back out. Again.. he mention they ran PnR. Lucky CLE missed some 3 or they would have lost by nothing 20 pts. LOL

And why do no talking heads take him to task for this ?

This has got to be his last year. We can't keep waiting on the 2016 plan to make a HC move. I can't believe we didn't go after SVG or George. So who is still out there ? Anyone ? I would say Newman but if he is so lamn that he has allow what I have seen to happen, not sure how he is the answer.

We need an elite coach. It's time. Randy has served his purpose. He was our Doug Collins. Now we need our Phil Jackson
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#511 » by JWizmentality » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:25 pm

^^^ Too little too late. George Karl would have been fantastic. Who is out there now?? Is Jerry Sloan still coaching? Not sure about JVG. Man two months ago I thought the Kings owner was a f*cking moron. Now I wish he were here...
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#512 » by closg00 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:42 pm

Ironic, Hands started this thread as The Randy Wittman Appreciation Thread. Just like EFJ and Flip before him, now it Randy's turn to get the heat. Ernie/Ted hired him on the cheap.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#514 » by dckingsfan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:28 pm

closg00 wrote:Ironic, Hands started this thread as The Randy Wittman Appreciation Thread. Just like EFJ and Flip before him, now it Randy's turn to get the heat. Ernie/Ted hired him on the cheap.

Yep, first we need an elite GM and let him hire the appropriate coach.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#515 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:54 pm

hands11 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Well. That was interesting.

Look at the shot chart.

What happen to this game plan above? Good enough to blow out BRK, but he went back to his crap plan of no 3s and no PnR and we got blown out.

What is it with Randy ?

Listen to John http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... me-2-20-15
They ran a lot of PnR. First thing he said. We turned it over a lot. They spread the floor. We got down 20. We started cutting the lead... they hit 3 three and knocked us back out. Again.. he mention they ran PnR. Lucky CLE missed some 3 or they would have lost by nothing 20 pts. LOL

And why do no talking heads take him to task for this ?

This has got to be his last year. We can't keep waiting on the 2016 plan to make a HC move. I can't believe we didn't go after SVG or George. So who is still out there ? Anyone ? I would say Newman but if he is so lamn that he has allow what I have seen to happen, not sure how he is the answer.

We need an elite coach. It's time. Randy has served his purpose. He was our Doug Collins. Now we need our Phil Jackson

Not to mention that he still refuses to adjust his lineups. Even when Cleveland was pushing the pace, he insists on sticking with an oversized lineup. And we still don't shoot enough threes.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#516 » by gambitx777 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 pm

it was a bad night, they missed a lot of shots. Randy should go, but i don't think ted or EG have the balls to do it mid season.
hands11
Banned User

Post#517 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:33 am

Its kind of funny that we are 27th worst in 3 ball attempts at 16.2 and the team that is the worst has a head coach who Randy got his offense from .. MIN is last at 14.9. The league mean is 22.6. Whats even crazier is that last year we shot 20.8 a game.

But we are 5th best in 3pt percentage at .369

We are 10th best at limiting points at 97.9 which is actually better then last year when it was 99.4
So much for losing TA being the problem.

Higher net pts is a pretty good predictor of where you rank. There is diminishing returns in limiting teams more. While there is a ton of low hanging fruit to be had in taking more 3s. We can be less efficient then 5th best in the league if it nets better TS for the team and better net pts and spread the floor more.

We are only +1.6 in pts. Thats 14th

Just doesn't make any sense to me why they don't run the offense to set up more 3s balls. They did it last year.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#518 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:49 am

I forgot - who took the most 3PAs last year?
hands11
Banned User

Post#519 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:17 am

dckingsfan wrote:I forgot - who took the most 3PAs last year?

Houston. Same as this year. Why do you ask ?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,971

Post#520 » by FAH1223 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:56 am

hands11 wrote:Its kind of funny that we are 27th worst in 3 ball attempts at 16.2 and the team that is the worst has a head coach who Randy got his offense from .. MIN is last at 14.9. The league mean is 22.6. Whats even crazier is that last year we shot 20.8 a game.

But we are 5th best in 3pt percentage at .369

We are 10th best at limiting points at 97.9 which is actually better then last year when it was 99.4
So much for losing TA being the problem.

Higher net pts is a pretty good predictor of where you rank. There is diminishing returns in limiting teams more. While there is a ton of low hanging fruit to be had in taking more 3s. We can be less efficient then 5th best in the league if it nets better TS for the team and better net pts and spread the floor more.

We are only +1.6 in pts. Thats 14th

Just doesn't make any sense to me why they don't run the offense to set up more 3s balls. They did it last year.

The corner 3 was such a staple in 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Return to Washington Wizards