ImageImageImageImageImage

The WizFans Washington professional football thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: You down with RG3? (The WizFans 'Skins Thread) 

Post#141 » by Nivek » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Yeah, TGW. Cooley should be on Monday Night Football or have a network analyst gig. I think he'd instantly be the best in-game analyst on TV. I'd hate to see him stuck on one of those insipid studio shows where he has to share time with four other guys who are primarily doing shtick.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#142 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Nivek wrote:Cooley seemed pretty unconcerned with how Griffin has played so far in the preseason. His point yesterday on the radio was that Washington is a) running a preseason offense that isn't looking to create/exploit matchups (or even trying to confuse defenses), and b) they're not game-planning. He said their passing game has been all 5- and 7-step drop stuff, which they'll have in the game-plan, but which won't be the emphasis. He said Gruden's offense operates mostly on 3-step drops, and they've run almost none of that in preseason.

I had the same theory, that they were trying him out in the pocket to see how he could perform if they added a few of those sets. But it doesn't change the fact that he's fumbling snaps, missing open receivers, failing to slide, getting hit in bounds instead of throwing it away or heading out of bounds, hesitating on his throws, and he looks jittery and lost. I suspect he'll get confidence if he is back to his comfort zone, but it is not a vote of confidence by the head coach that he's talking about playing the starters on offense for a few series during the final preseason game to try to get something clicking.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#143 » by FreeBalling » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:05 am

Something to keep in mind about RG-III, the clock is ticking.

They let Joe Gibbs, Mike Shanahan, Lavar Arrington and many other GO!

Robert is on the clock.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#144 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Maybe they're just trying stuff out that seemed to work well in practice, and wanted to see how it would work in live-fire situations...

Which I guess is what doc just said. Hi doc!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#145 » by FreeBalling » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:32 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Maybe they're just trying stuff out that seemed to work well in practice, and wanted to see how it would work in live-fire situations...

Which I guess is what doc just said. Hi doc!

Your saying "it" worked in practice.

Our eyes don't fool us. However, it is preseason and nothing is what it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums -
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#146 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:18 pm

FreeBalling wrote:Something to keep in mind about RG-III, the clock is ticking.

They let Joe Gibbs, Mike Shanahan, Lavar Arrington and many other GO!

And it was all RGIII's fault :lol: :nonono:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#147 » by Ruzious » Sun Sep 7, 2014 3:36 pm

Let's give Rico a break and start posting in the Skins board. Besides, the football site I post at was bought out by USA Today, so I need a new place.

Skins 21
Houston 19

Each team turns the ball over 4 times. A short pass to Darrell Young turns into a 23 yard game-winning TD.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#148 » by mohammed10 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:58 am

Ruzious wrote:Let's give Rico a break and start posting in the Skins board. Besides, the football site I post at was bought out by USA Today, so I need a new place.

Skins 21
Houston 19

Each team turns the ball over 4 times. A short pass to Darrell Young turns into a 23 yard game-winning TD.

Well, that didn't work out so well

Hope this doesn't spiral out of control too quickly
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#149 » by queridiculo » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:48 am

There really isn't any hope for that franchise until the stench of Snyder's tenure is removed. The sort of bad karma you'd expect for somebody that made his fortune scamming people.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 8, 2014 11:28 am

queridiculo wrote:There really isn't any hope for that franchise until the stench of Snyder's tenure is removed. The sort of bad karma you'd expect for somebody that made his fortune scamming people.

I think that's what Los Angeles Lakers fans thought about Jack Kent Cooke.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#151 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:07 pm

queridiculo wrote:There really isn't any hope for that franchise until the stench of Snyder's tenure is removed. The sort of bad karma you'd expect for somebody that made his fortune scamming people.

Okay, we rational people -- all of on this board are rational IMO -- know that superstitious stuff like a JInx or karma does not exist in real life.

That being said as a disclaimer: This franchise *does* seem to be JInxed. And Snyder is suspect #1 for being the bad karma lightning rod. But want can you do....he's owner until he chooses not to be owner. And I suspect that each year of suckage makes him more determined to hang on until the team is Championship caliber. Just so Snyder can say "I told you so".

In short, if he really IS bad karma, his personality ensures that he'll be around polluting the team for a long time to come.

Something to start your Monday morning with.

:nod:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#152 » by Dat2U » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:26 pm

Redskins are not jinxed. It's the fact we've never had a real GM during Snyder's entire time. Incompetence breeds failure. Every year we try to fit square pegs into round holes. Every year we throw big money at free agency while ignoring how guys fit in a particular system. We sign 4-3 DEs to play 3-4 LB. Or signing a 1-gap DT and forcing him into a 2-gap system. How bout signing a big hitting S who's weak in coverage and expecting him to excel in space? We sign bandaid options on the offensive line while throwing tons of money at skill players that don't have time to get open.

We'll continue to fire coaches, change QBs and assign blame everywhere but ignore the real issue. There's no plan. There's no foundation. Things won't ever change until we hire a real GM and give him the power to build from the ground up.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#153 » by FreeBalling » Mon Sep 8, 2014 12:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Please do not insult Mr. Cooke.

Mr. Cooke as the Lakers owner reached 7 NBA Finals and won the 1972 NBA Finals. In 1974 Mr. Cook became the majority owner of the Redskins.

Snyder means well. However, his lost fantasy football vision only hurts the team. Snyder ownership has won one playoff games I believe.

Washington should have won yesterday but the turnover bug was costly, RG-III looked ok. Nothing special and you could argue his performance was below AVG. Our eyes do not fool us when it comes to RG-III passing ability.

The clock is ticking Robert and this might be your last season.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#154 » by TGW » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:22 pm

FreeBalling wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Mr. Cooke as the Lakers owner reached 7 NBA Finals and won the 1972 NBA Finals. In 1974 Mr. Cook became the majority owner of the Redskins.

Snyder means well. However, his lost fantasy football vision only hurts the team. Snyder ownership has won one playoff games I believe.

Washington should have won yesterday but the turnover bug was costly, RG-III looked ok. Nothing special and you could argue his performance was below AVG. Our eyes do not fool us when it comes to RG-III passing ability.

Dude, no offense, but you epitomize everything annoying about the Redskins fanbase. Why is it that a finger has to be pointed at one single person, when it was obvious that the TEAM lost the game?

Did RG3 get beat on a punt block that led to a touchdown? Did RG3 fumble a 40 yard pass reception that could have gone for a touchdown? Did RG3 call multiple pass plays in a row when the run game was working? Did RG3 step on his own foot and bobble a handoff that could have easily been handled?

Don't be one of those guys.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#155 » by Dat2U » Mon Sep 8, 2014 1:34 pm

FreeBalling wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Yep it's all RG3's fault. Obviously we need to start Cousins if were going to win the super bowl this year. :crazy:
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#156 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:35 pm

I was ready to call out the OL yesterday. And there was that one sack where three defensive guys blew by their respective defenders and got to RGIII at the same time.

But those same guys who suck at pass defense did a really good job on the run. So I don't know if the OL sucks or if it's just an OL that's better at the running game than the passing game.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#157 » by FreeBalling » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:49 pm

Dude, no offense, but you epitomize everything annoying about the Redskins fanbase. Why is it that a finger has to be pointed at one single person, when it was obvious that the TEAM lost the game?

^^^^^^^^^
I do not disagree with both of your comments, maybe I came off negative. I was taking up for Mr. Cooke as the owner of the Lakers. That was my main point.

The perception I'm getting from RG-III involves being focused on creating his brand awareness. His own actions draw attention from reporters and arm chair QBs looking for him to fail or produce. He's got some swag to his game but it's time to shut up, produce at the QB position or get out of DC. Hearing how it's someone else fault is not going to cut it this year. His time is limited if his production continues. His passing is awful and changing him to more of a pocket passer is only going to cause more passing issues. Is that situation better suited for Cousins? Maybe...I'm not sold on Cousins until I see more live play.

Robert has been very arrogant in the media. You might not see it looking from the forest surrounded by the trees. When push comes to shove, it's Robert that will be making the command decisions with the pigskin is in his hands. Robert might not be able to win a game by his self as both of you pointed out. However, he can clearly lose one by making poor throws. The NFL has moved to a passing league, it not NFC East ground and pound anymore.

Robert is the leader,,,I expect more and more commitment to winning.

BTW - You two fans see something I do not in RG-III and I enjoy reading your objective views on the RealGM.
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#158 » by Higga » Mon Sep 8, 2014 2:50 pm

The OL isn't good but there are many times when RG3 makes them look worse by not stepping up into the pocket and instead backpedalling and running around right into pressure.

All that said, if we don't fumble twice in their 10 yard line and have a punt blocked we win going away yesterday. That's football.

Gotta sack up, because the Jags next week will NOT be easy. They have legit talent up front that will wreck havoc on us if we don't execute.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#159 » by queridiculo » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:01 pm

Lots of blame to go around, just judging by the numbers RG3 did okay.

That said though, I seriously doubt he's going to make it through the season. Griffin holds onto the ball way too long and as a result gets pummeled on literally every drop back.

Give him credit for delivering passes under duress, but most of it appears self inflicted and it's only a matter of time before he won't get up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 8, 2014 3:35 pm

FreeBalling wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Nevertheless, by the time he sold the Lakers several years later, Mr. Cooke was a much hated owner in LA - and for some good reasons. In DC, he became a beloved figure because of one thing - the Skins won. Nobody in DC cared even a little about his past, because the Skins won. In LA, he was thought of a lot closer to Mr. Snyder.

Return to Washington Wizards