ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3 

Post#41 » by Nivek » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:21 pm

If there's something more tedious than reading posts from people reminding everyone of how right they were about everything, I'm not sure what it is. When I see words like... Just like I have been saying for years... I stop reading.

Also wanted to grovel a bit and thank both fish and Sev for spending their time with the little people. They really appreciate that kind of "man of the people" stuff from high-falutin' fellas like us.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#42 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Nivek wrote:If there's something more tedious than reading posts from people reminding everyone of how right they were about everything, I'm not sure what it is. When I see words like... Just like I have been saying for years... I stop reading.

I've said all along that it's annoying when people do that.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#43 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Kev, if there is anything to ratchet up the annoyance factor to 11, it's the guy who says "as I've always said..." and then goes on to say the opposite of what he's actually always said, hoping you won't notice.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a press conference starting at the White House...
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Nivek » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:17 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:Kev, if there is anything to ratchet up the annoyance factor to 11, it's the guy who says "as I've always said..." and then goes on to say the opposite of what he's actually always said, hoping you won't notice.

I usually don't get that far. :D
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#45 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 pm

You guys are missing the point. Today is about me and a celebration of all the good that I've brought into your lives. Can we try to stay on point?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#46 » by miller31time » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:43 pm

It's a shame Nivek has had only a year and a half to get to know us insightful people. And fishercob.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#47 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 pm

miller31time wrote:It's a shame Nivek has had only a year and a half to get to know us insightful people. And fishercob.

I've put in a lot of work with Nivek, but he's coming along. He's like my Kevin Seraphin.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#48 » by hands11 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 pm

nate33 wrote:
Nivek wrote:If there's something more tedious than reading posts from people reminding everyone of how right they were about everything, I'm not sure what it is. When I see words like... Just like I have been saying for years... I stop reading.

I've said all along that it's annoying when people do that.

Though less annoying them people posting about how right they are about something in the present that they are actually going to be wrong about in the future, but since you can't get proved wrong until the future, they come at it with both barrels saying how right they are and how a fool the other person is.

Look, that is 90% of what get posted here. It's people thinking they are 100% right in their views about things today and pocking at or bashing the opposing view, and people coming back and pointing out how those people were actually wrong like they said they were at the time.

Funnier is that even the people that say they are annoyed that people come back and say they were right, they do it also. Thats whats funny.

If people are going to do #1, expect #2 to happen. Falls into the "if you want to dish it out, you better be able to take it" category.

What is more annoying is how many people that do #1 that end up having #2 done on them are actually still seen as insightful.

Remind me of an old Steve Martin skit. "We go down to the wild and crazy swinging single bar and look for the girls with the dog poo-pee on their shoes. Excuse me, is that dog poo-pee on your shoes." Two wild and crazy guys. That was funny stuff for its day.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#49 » by montestewart » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 am

There's nothing wrong with doing #1, and there's nothing wrong with doing #2, but if you do both, you better sit down.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#50 » by Ed Wood » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 am

This is the most passive aggressive page in the history of this site containing no posts by Fokus, also monte is on it.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#51 » by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 am

montestewart wrote:There's nothing wrong with doing #1, and there's nothing wrong with doing #2, but if you do both, you better sit down.

HOF
Bullets -> Wizards
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#52 » by verbal8 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 am

Wow this thing with Billy Hunter and the players union finances is a big mess. I am surprised it has gone on this long without it being made public. I can see why Derrick Fischer wanted an outside audit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nbpa- ... tW0py8vLYF
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#53 » by closg00 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 am

pancakes3 wrote:
montestewart wrote:There's nothing wrong with doing #1, and there's nothing wrong with doing #2, but if you do both, you better sit down.

HOF

What is more annoying is how many people that do #1 that end up having #2 done on them are actually still seen as insightful.

:rofl2: Hands original post is a ^CLASSIC!!! A definite HOF post :lol: Put them both in side-by-side.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#54 » by doclinkin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 pm

closg00 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:

HOF

:rofl2: Hands original post is a ^CLASSIC!!! A definite HOF post :lol: Put them both in side-by-side.

Done.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#55 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:43 pm

(This didn't need a separate post, so I deleted the OP.)

4/25/12 was a pretty sweet day for local pro teams.

--The Wizards won their 5th straight.

--The Nationals won their 4th straight.

--The Orioles won their 3rd straight.

-- Biggest of all the Capitals won game 7 at Boston to advance to the next round.

I cannot recall all the pro teams doing so well as they did Wednesday, 4/25. Today, the Redskins have what could be a great draft for them when they select Robert Griffin III.

Things are looking up.
Bye bye Beal.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#56 » by verbal8 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:(This didn't need a separate post, so I deleted the OP.)

4/25/12 was a pretty sweet day for local pro teams.

--The Wizards won their 5th straight.

--The Nationals won their 4th straight.

--The Orioles won their 3rd straight.

-- Biggest of all the Capitals won game 7 at Boston to advance to the next round.

I cannot recall all the pro teams doing so well as they did Wednesday, 4/25. Today, the Redskins have what could be a great draft for them when they select Robert Griffin III.

Things are looking up.

Saturday was pretty sweet too. The Caps won game 5, Nats won in OT and the Wizards won a close game(against the Miami Lukewarm(missing LBJ, Bosh and mainly Wade)).

I would agree that Thursday was even better.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#57 » by montestewart » Tue May 1, 2012 2:15 am

Stern Disputes Theory Of Injuries Being Injury-Related
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... ry_Related

Great headline. Wizards medical staff probably agrees with that position.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Nivek » Tue May 1, 2012 2:25 am

I actually think Stern could be right. Something happens and people look for The Cause, and they go to the easiest, biggest, most obvious Change. In this case, to the compressed season. But a few injuries -- even to guys who have previously been healthy -- don't make the case that the compressed season caused (or even contributed to) the injuries. There are injuries every year. Guys who have previously been healthy get hurt -- every year.

What's the rate of injury this season as compared to previous seasons? Has there been an uptick in serious injuries?

Those questions (at a minimum) would need to be answered before saying the compressed season caused anything.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#59 » by montestewart » Tue May 1, 2012 3:23 am

^
Yeah, I'm not buying into the theory without even any numbers to back it up, but c'mon, "theory of injuries being injury-related" sounds like Monty Python.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#60 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 1, 2012 12:59 pm

Nivek wrote:I actually think Stern could be right. Something happens and people look for The Cause, and they go to the easiest, biggest, most obvious Change. In this case, to the compressed season. But a few injuries -- even to guys who have previously been healthy -- don't make the case that the compressed season caused (or even contributed to) the injuries. There are injuries every year. Guys who have previously been healthy get hurt -- every year.

What's the rate of injury this season as compared to previous seasons? Has there been an uptick in serious injuries?

Those questions (at a minimum) would need to be answered before saying the compressed season caused anything.

The compressed season got on Amare's nerves and added to his frustration, right before he hurt his hand. 8-)

In all seriousness, the injuries during the playoffs could be related to too much stress on the bodies of key players combined with too short of a rest between the last regular season game. However, Caron breaking his hand was just a fluke play. Rose had lingering injuries. Shumpert's injury however, is a good candidate for something akin to stress fatigue on a structure.

Jeffries or other nicked up players are likely to go down to injury like Rose. I don't think Jeremy Lin should even think about trying to come back in game 4. He could end up like Gil or Grant Hill before him.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards