ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Re: Official Random Thoughts Thread - Part 3 

Post#1741 » by Induveca » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:All time low for this board in the 13 years I have posted here.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

You mean in terms of participation?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#1742 » by dobrojim » Mon Dec 1, 2014 3:40 pm

dobrojim wrote:so happy not to be travelling on the I95 corridor today

I kinda spoke too soon. Took my daughter back to Roanoke yesterday (Sunday).
I forgot about all those Tech and JMU kids also going back to school. 81 was a
nightmare. A drive that normally takes 3-3.5 hours took more like 5+.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#1743 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Mon Dec 1, 2014 6:42 pm

montestewart wrote:
Higga wrote:Anybody else hitting up the free concert in D.C. tonight? Gotta get out of work early to get there since I figure it's gonna be chaotic.

I went. Wasn't that chaotic, considering how huge it was. Seemed pretty well organized. George Lopez had one MFer, and Eminem had all the rest (many). Crowd seemed to like the Rihanna/Eminem segment and Metallica the best, but everyone was pretty good.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_c3GBrWsao[/youtube]

Metallica? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I last saw Metallica at the Cap Centre in 1992 and they rocked but Metallica has not been relevant for over 20 years now. They tried to come back with Death Magnetic but the thrash community moved on a long time ago. There are about a half dozen thrash bands from that same era who are still releasing quality thrash. They never compromised themselves and never changed their sound like Metallica did.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1744 » by closg00 » Mon Dec 1, 2014 7:34 pm

I was at that show WTA, prime Metallica

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1745 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:53 pm

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:
montestewart wrote:
Higga wrote:Anybody else hitting up the free concert in D.C. tonight? Gotta get out of work early to get there since I figure it's gonna be chaotic.

I went. Wasn't that chaotic, considering how huge it was. Seemed pretty well organized. George Lopez had one MFer, and Eminem had all the rest (many). Crowd seemed to like the Rihanna/Eminem segment and Metallica the best, but everyone was pretty good.

I last saw Metallica at the Cap Centre in 1992 and they rocked but Metallica has not been relevant for over 20 years now. They tried to come back with Death Magnetic but the thrash community moved on a long time ago. There are about a half dozen thrash bands from that same era who are still releasing quality thrash. They never compromised themselves and never changed their sound like Metallica For decades, neo-Nazis have traveled to the southeastern German town of Wunsiedel, where Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler's deputy, was buried until 2011. The right-wing extremists march through the town in commemoration of Hess year after year, glorifying the horrors of the Third Reich.

did.

Staying true to your sound. That's what it's all about. Can't get much worse than irrelevant thrash.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#1746 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Dec 2, 2014 4:37 am

I am not a die hard fan of thrash but if it was irrelevant then why was the most known band of the genre in your own words seemed liked by the crowd the best?

You should try playing in a thrash band that plays shows and tours all over the world and has for over 30+ years sometime. I guarantee your opinion of the genre would change after just playing a handful of shows.

Your modern, disgusting, gentrified H Street, ironic bearded band & laptop skinny jean DJ scene is garbage.

Everyone in the area knows the Capital Center and Baltimore Civic Center shows were far superior to any current gentrification era establishment in DC including the Verizon Center.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1747 » by montestewart » Tue Dec 2, 2014 5:52 am

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:I am not a die hard fan of thrash but if it was irrelevant then why was the most known band of the genre in your own words seemed liked by the crowd the best?

You should try playing in a thrash band that plays shows and tours all over the world and has for over 30+ years sometime. I guarantee your opinion of the genre would change after just playing a handful of shows.

Your modern, disgusting, gentrified H Street, ironic bearded band & laptop skinny jean DJ scene is garbage.

Everyone in the area knows the Capital Center and Baltimore Civic Center shows were far superior to any current gentrification era establishment in DC including the Verizon Center.

Also, the weed was better back in the day. I'm sure you make much more sense now.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1748 » by fishercob » Tue Dec 2, 2014 6:42 pm

Good for Joe Alexander netting D-League POW honors! You don't usually see draft busts claw their way back this far; very admirable of him. It would be very cool to see him work his way back on to an NBA roster.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1749 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:06 pm

fishercob wrote:Good for Joe Alexander netting D-League POW honors! You don't usually see draft busts claw their way back this far; very admirable of him. It would be very cool to see him work his way back on to an NBA roster.

Yup. While it was a no-brainer imo at the time that the Bucks should have picked Brook Lopez - and I spent many a post explaining that Alexander's 40" vertical didn't mean he was a particularly good athlete, I thought he would be serviceable. He's also a cautionary tale to be wary of late bloomers who never played well till their senior season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#1750 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Dec 2, 2014 7:17 pm

montestewart wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:I am not a die hard fan of thrash but if it was irrelevant then why was the most known band of the genre in your own words seemed liked by the crowd the best?

Also, the weed was better back in the day. I'm sure you make much more sense now.

The 9:30 club was better back then too.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1751 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 2, 2014 9:35 pm

montestewart wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:
montestewart wrote:I went. Wasn't that chaotic, considering how huge it was. Seemed pretty well organized. George Lopez had one MFer, and Eminem had all the rest (many). Crowd seemed to like the Rihanna/Eminem segment and Metallica the best, but everyone was pretty good.

I last saw Metallica at the Cap Centre in 1992 and they rocked but Metallica has not been relevant for over 20 years now. They tried to come back with Death Magnetic but the thrash community moved on a long time ago. There are about a half dozen thrash bands from that same era who are still releasing quality thrash. They never compromised themselves and never changed their sound like Metallica For decades, neo-Nazis have traveled to the southeastern German town of Wunsiedel, where Rudolf Hess, Adolf Hitler's deputy, was buried until 2011. The right-wing extremists march through the town in commemoration of Hess year after year, glorifying the horrors of the Third Reich.

did.

Staying true to your sound. That's what it's all about. Can't get much worse than irrelevant thrash.

True, and it's past the point where the thrashman here should be made to go away.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1752 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 3, 2014 1:32 am

Ruzious wrote:
fishercob wrote:Good for Joe Alexander netting D-League POW honors! You don't usually see draft busts claw their way back this far; very admirable of him. It would be very cool to see him work his way back on to an NBA roster.

Yup. While it was a no-brainer imo at the time that the Bucks should have picked Brook Lopez - and I spent many a post explaining that Alexander's 40" vertical didn't mean he was a particularly good athlete, I thought he would be serviceable. He's also a cautionary tale to be wary of late bloomers who never played well till their senior season.

Good Lord! How-long can Joe toil-away in the D-League? I wonder why he never went to Europe?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1753 » by AFM » Wed Dec 3, 2014 1:32 am

I bet WTA used to rock to this back in the day

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk[/youtube]
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1754 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 3, 2014 1:36 am

You're confusing Pantera with Panera. WTA likes to stick it to the man with some soup in a bread bowl.
— Steve Martin
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1755 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 3, 2014 2:29 am

Induveca wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:All time low for this board in the 13 years I have posted here.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

You mean in terms of participation?

Participation really spiked Monday, December 1st. Must have been holiday shopping that ebbed it so low ...
Bye bye Beal.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#1756 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Wed Dec 3, 2014 5:57 am

Ruzious wrote:
montestewart wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:

did.

True, and it's past the point where the thrashman here should be made to go away.

Are you trying to gentrify me?
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#1757 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Wed Dec 3, 2014 6:11 am

Screw the D-League!
KISS has their own football team. :D
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#1758 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Wed Dec 3, 2014 8:06 am

AFM wrote:I bet WTA used to rock to this back in the day

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbXvaE39wM[/youtube]

I do not recall listening to Pantera very often.
My girlfriend at the time had me listening to this. :(
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1759 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 3, 2014 10:29 pm

My father often smiled and said, "Son, life is really very simple."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAxsek1ovkA&list=RDAAxsek1ovkA#t=29[/youtube]
His Lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord. Matthew 25:21

R.I.P. Dad

I was lucky to have you for as long as I did. You were my best friend. You were far from perfect. Yet, you were really, really, really good! I really can't fault you for saying, "Son, I wish you were more like me." :)

I will live the rest of my life with the fondest of memories of a wonderful father. You were ALWAYS there for me. You nurtured right to your dying days. You loved me no matter what I was going through. Some how, with all you had going on you were always available.

The laughs and the stories we shared. :D

Most of all I am thankful to God for the Almighty letting you live to an age where you made good with Him and everyone.

You were at peace and you went out pretty much on your own terms. (God is good, all the time.)

Dad, I will "Put some fun in [my] life". That's how you rolled. I am your son. Proud to say so. Thanks.

You were a good soldier and a very good dad! I love you and I will miss you dearly.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1760 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 4, 2014 6:39 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctEOnb7M3hU#t=88[/youtube]
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards