Post#1441 » by Knighthonor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:58 am

Hi where is the Heat Beal with it Meme?
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#1442 » by Illmatic21 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 am

GhostsOfGil wrote:But Beal is an elite shooter and has all star potential. I just don't see that with Porter (of course I could be wrong). It's funny, everyone is hoping Porter becomes a 15/7 player yet scoffed at the Illy trade.

Well Ilyasova is owed 8m/year, that's twice what we're paying Otto.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,256

Post#1443 » by deneem4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18 am

^^^^ I really wan illyasova look at how easy ariza and Harrington anf booker leakout for open jumpers with wall on the court..imagine having beal webster ersan and Harrington on the floor...we can shoot lights out while not being weak on rebounds
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#1444 » by Kanyewest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 am

Severn Hoos wrote:So I've seen the name Harden pop up a time or two, and of course, Beal would have been the key piece in the theoretical (or not so?) trade possibility with the Thunder for Harden. So I'll ask the question - when you consider age and salary, is it possible that it was a good non-trade in the end? Considering that we would have had to probably send other assets (if only to match salaries), and it would have capped us out, and the fact that Beal is only 20 - maybe we will be glad it didn't go through?

Put another way, if they do the unthinkable and parlay this summer's potential cap space into a difference-maker, might we be better off with Beal and _____ than if we had just had Harden alone?

I know, go ahead and flame me, daring to tempt the curse o' les boulez and all that.....

It is possible- still can't say for certain though at this point. On the plus side, Beal is younger, his style of play can be molded next to Wall. Plus the Wizards may have avoided paying the luxury tax.

Harden has proven himself to be a top 10 player though. This was far from a certainty when Harden became available plus the Wizards had already commited the Okafor/Ariza trade when Harden did become available.

I wonder what the Thunder were willing to settle for. From what I read before, I believe the trade was for Beal, Singleton, and a future first- not simply Beal and Singleton for Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1445 » by montestewart » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:33 am

Illmatic21 wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:But Beal is an elite shooter and has all star potential. I just don't see that with Porter (of course I could be wrong). It's funny, everyone is hoping Porter becomes a 15/7 player yet scoffed at the Illy trade.

Well Ilyasova is owed 8m/year, that's twice what we're paying Otto.

I'm able to visualize the possibility that Wall/Beal/Porter with a decent FA big could be a contender someday, but "Porter might be as productive as Ilyasova someday, and he's owed less now," isn't a very strong argument for Porter over Ilyasova.

PS: I guess that also goes for, "If I really use my imagination, I can maybe see Beal being as productive as Harden someday, and he's owed less now."
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1446 » by Kanyewest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:35 am

montestewart wrote:
barelyawake wrote:PS - The Harden trade talk has been dispelled as fiction. But regardless, I'd rather be where we are. Relax and enjoy the ride.

I just did a search and found countless sources saying the opposite, and not one source dispelling it. In fact, Leonsis' own response to the rumor, though filled with lots of Ted Speak, never actually denied it as far as I can see.
http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.com/2 ... /index.jsp

This link has one Wizards official who denies the trade. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

One Wizards official denied that Oklahoma City had offered Harden in exchange for Beal and Singleton, stating that the Thunder was also seeking an established player — which the Wizards didn’t have — in return.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1447 » by Kanyewest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:53 am

BTW, there is also the possibility that the Thunder preferred the Martin/Lamb and future 1st round pick to Beal/Singleton.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#1448 » by tontoz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am

barelyawake wrote:The nonsensical Okariza trade is going to get us the playoffs and allow us to have expiring contracts. Okafor was also the leader who helped our franchise talent to develop into a leader (which is well-documented). And Harden is paid 40 plus million for the next three years while Beal is only paid fifteen or so. Unsure how you can say that isn't a factor in us acquiring a more talented big. I'd much rather have Beal and Wall than have almost thirty million tied up in smaller players before we reach the post season and before we attract a big. Beal and Wall are going to have a relationship like Francis/Mobley which is rare in NBA history.

PS - The Harden trade talk has been dispelled as fiction. But regardless, I'd rather be where we are. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Once again stating an assumption as a fact. The season hasn't even started yet and you are saying they are already a lock for the playoffs. I doubt they have started printing the playoff tickets yet lol.

Okafor/Ariza/Beal are making a combined $26 million this season FYI. That money could have easily been used to sign a player in addition to Harden. Wall's max extension kicks in this summer in case you didn't know.

And if the Wizards do make the playoffs this year it won't be because of the Okariza deal. Okafor is going to miss significant time and they could have easily signed a player as good as Ariza.

Just because the Wizards didn't seriously consider the Harden trade doesn't mean it wasn't available. Once again you are trying to proclaim your alternate reality as fact. And if it is your belief that the trade was just fiction that begs the question as to why you are arguing that the Wizards are better off having not made a trade that was never on the table.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1449 » by tontoz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 am

Kanyewest wrote:BTW, there is also the possibility that the Thunder preferred the Martin/Lamb and future 1st round pick to Beal/Singleton.

The proposed Harden deal was pre-draft. Harden wasn't traded to Houston until late October.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,878

Post#1450 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:49 pm

barelyawake wrote:Pay it, Wall was injured. Had he not been injured, we would have made the playoffs. You know that. Stop arguing strawmen. And yes, Wall credits Okafor for helping him develop into the leader that he is. He does. He doesn't mention if your bitching helped. I'm certain it did in some regard.

Actually, I think Okafor said that it was my bitching (I mean my perspicacious analyses) that convinced him to talk w/ Wall.

barelyawake wrote:(Wall and Beal)...hang out all the time. Both push each other. Both challenge each other. And the longer they are the court, the more they recognize where each other is going to be a step before they get there. Since that shows already, I believe that will continue to develop. There is no reason not to believe that.

I think we all hope so. And what fans "hope" they tend also to "believe." So, sure, why not?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1451 » by pancakes3 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
montestewart wrote:
barelyawake wrote:PS - The Harden trade talk has been dispelled as fiction. But regardless, I'd rather be where we are. Relax and enjoy the ride.

I just did a search and found countless sources saying the opposite, and not one source dispelling it. In fact, Leonsis' own response to the rumor, though filled with lots of Ted Speak, never actually denied it as far as I can see.
http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.com/2 ... /index.jsp

This link has one Wizards official who denies the trade. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

One Wizards official denied that Oklahoma City had offered Harden in exchange for Beal and Singleton, stating that the Thunder was also seeking an established player — which the Wizards didn’t have — in return.

And Peter denied Jesus... Thrice. In one night. There are zero repercussions in denying this. The fact that it got out and stayed out is convincing enough for me.
Bullets -> Wizards
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1452 » by Nivek » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:37 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote: It's funny, everyone is hoping Porter becomes a 15/7 player yet scoffed at the Illy trade.

Last season, 19 players averaged 15 pts and 7 reb per game. If Porter manages to do that, folks should be happy. Ilyasova was not one of the 19.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1453 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Nivek wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote: It's funny, everyone is hoping Porter becomes a 15/7 player yet scoffed at the Illy trade.

Last season, 19 players averaged 15 pts and 7 reb per game. If Porter manages to do that, folks should be happy. Ilyasova was not one of the 19.

..But he only played 27 minutes per game. His per 36 minute production was 17 and 9 (one of only 8 players to average 17/9 or better). The year before that he averaged 17 and 11 per 36. He shot 45 and 44% from 3 over the last two seasons respectively. If Porter manages to achieve 15/7, of course I'll be happy but that's not my point. We're all hoping he can get there yet brushing off a trade for a guy whose per minute production is already well above that.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#1454 » by barelyawake » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 pm

"Once again stating an assumption as a fact. The season hasn't even started yet and you are saying they are already a lock for the playoffs. I doubt they have started printing the playoff tickets yet lol."

Most sportswriters have us as a lock for the playoffs. Most fans here have us making the playoffs. And I love when people call me out for making assumptions and insist their own set of assumptions are fact.

"Okafor/Ariza/Beal are making a combined $26 million this season FYI. That money could have easily been used to sign a player in addition to Harden. Wall's max extension kicks in this summer in case you didn't know."

The point isn't to sign a player. The point is to attract a star and have the cap and/or expiring contracts to do it. No star was coming to a non-playoff team to team with an untested Harden and Wall. Only once they established themselves as a playoff team with a future would we be able to attract talent. The point was to get to the playoffs and then have the expirings to attract talent.

"And if the Wizards do make the playoffs this year it won't be because of the Okariza deal. Okafor is going to miss significant time and they could have easily signed a player as good as Ariza."

Okafor will be back and an important piece. You have no idea how much his presence last year helped to develop the players we have into the the on the court now. You are assuming the Wall's regression wouldn't have continued without Okafor. That is what we call an assumption.

"Just because the Wizards didn't seriously consider the Harden trade doesn't mean it wasn't available. Once again you are trying to proclaim your alternate reality as fact. And if it is your belief that the trade was just fiction that begs the question as to why you are arguing that the Wizards are better off having not made a trade that was never on the table."

As I said, Rico (I believe) posted several articles that said the trade was never seriously discussed. I don't believe you build a championship team by paying huge contracts to two smaller players before you land a star big, especially when you have a history of not making the playoffs. I like how we ended up -- Beal, Wall, Porter, tons of expiring contracts. Why the hell is that a bad thing that I like that?
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1455 » by Nivek » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:18 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Nivek wrote:

..But he only played 27 minutes per game. His per 36 minute production was 17 and 9 (one of only 8 players to average 17/9 or better). The year before that he averaged 17 and 11 per 36. He shot 45 and 44% from 3 over the last two seasons respectively. If Porter manages to achieve 15/7, of course I'll be happy but that's not my point. We're all hoping he can get there yet brushing off a trade for a guy whose per minute production is already well above that.

I agree with you -- I was just trying to illustrate your point. I've been in favor of acquiring Ilyasova. I'm still in favor of it.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1456 » by tontoz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:32 pm

barelyawake wrote:Most sportswriters have us as a lock for the playoffs. Most fans here have us making the playoffs. And I love when people call me out for making assumptions and insist their own set of assumptions are fact.

Just because sportswriters say something doesn't mean it is a fact. And many of those predictions were before Okafor's injury. Feel free to point out other posters stating their assumptions as fact.

The point isn't to sign a player. The point is to attract a star and have the cap and/or expiring contracts to do it. No star was coming to a non-playoff team to team with an untested Harden and Wall. Only once they established themselves as a playoff team with a future would we be able to attract talent. The point was to get to the playoffs and then have the expirings to attract talent.

Yet another assumption stated as a fact. You are really good at this. Players go to teams that are willing to pay them a lot of money. That is the way that works.

Capspace is always preferable to expiring contracts when making trades.

Okafor will be back and an important piece. You have no idea how much his presence last year helped to develop the players we have into the the on the court now. You are assuming the Wall's regression wouldn't have continued without Okafor. That is what we call an assumption.

As I said, Rico (I believe) posted several articles that said the trade was never seriously discussed. I don't believe you build a championship team by paying huge contracts to two smaller players before you land a star big, especially when you have a history of not making the playoffs. I like how we ended up -- Beal, Wall, Porter, tons of expiring contracts. Why the hell is that a bad thing that I like

Feel free to point out how Wall was "regressing" before Okafor got here. I must have missed it. Whether or not the Wizards seriously discussed the potential trade doesn't mean it wasn't available. After aquireing Okariza it was dead anyway.

Feel free to point out any team that became a contender by tying up a third of their cap in mediocre vets.

There is nothing wrong with likeling Beal, hence my avy. There is something wrong with making assumption after assumption after assumption and stating them as facts.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1457 » by pancakes3 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm

barelyawake wrote:No star was coming to a non-playoff team to team with an untested Harden and Wall.

Didn't Houston just land a major free agent star after adding an untested Harden and Lin to a non-playoff team?
Bullets -> Wizards
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#1458 » by barelyawake » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Hey tontoz, stars absolutely do not just go to teams that pay them the most. In fact, they take pay cuts to go to contenders. So, your smugness is backed by nonsense and your own assumptions not based in history. Stars go to teams they think they can win with. Same with demanding trades. If a player demands a trade this season, and we have the expiring contracts and pieces to trade, we wouldn't be on their radar unless we were a potential contender.

And no, Howard didn't go to a team that didn't make the playoffs. He went to a team that did make the playoffs and he felt was a contender. That was the point.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1459 » by tontoz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 pm

barelyawake wrote:Hey tontoz, stars absolutely do not just go to teams that pay them the most. In fact, they take pay cuts to go to contenders. So, your smugness is backed by nonsense and your own assumptions not based in history.

First of all you didn't name any stars who took paycuts to go to contender. That does happen with role players.Lebron took less to go to Miami but he still got a max deal. No team could have matched what the Cavs could pay him unless there was a sign and trade. Plus Lebron was on his 3rd contract. He had already gotten paid.

Joe Johnson was in the same position as Harden when his rookie contract was up. He was a key player in on a contending team. Instead of resigning with the Suns he went to the 13 win Hawks who paid him a max deal. James Harden went to a non-playoff Houston team rather than resign with a contending OKC team. Elton Brand was the top free agent of his class and went to a weak Philly team. Gilber Arenas signed his second contract with a losing Wizards team. And so on and on...
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#1460 » by Dat2U » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:26 pm

The only ones that still think Okariza was a better option that anything else are in complete denial. If you were told when the deal was made that we'd win 29 games in '12-'13 with a healthy Okafor & Ariza and potentially lose Okafor for most, if not the entire year in '13'-14, no one would be still claiming that this was still a good move.

Return to Washington Wizards