Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Re: Tomas Satoransky---32nd Overall. 

Post#541 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:34 pm

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball ... satoransky

The nerve of Satoransky.

Considering how over-hyped he proved himself to be during Summer League play, where does he get off sounding like a guy who doesn't feel he has to prove himself worthy of a contract greater than where he was drafted?

Sounds like a case of McGeegotism, where a player delusively overvalues his own abilities, worth, and expects his current team to break the bank in order to retain his rights.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#542 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:00 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wake-call-wizards-will-hold-firm-tomas-satoransky

The nerve of Satoransky.

Considering how over-hyped he proved himself to be during Summer League play, where does he gets off sounding like a guy who doesn't feel he has to prove himself worthy of a contract greater than where he was drafted?

Sounds like a case of McGeegotism, where a player greatly overvalues his own abilities, worth, and expects his current team to break the bank in order to retain his rights.

I don't begrudge him for not wanting to take a significant pay cut to possibly not even get regular rotation minutes for the wizards. I certainly can see the arguments for why it might be in his best long term interests to do so, but there's massive risk involved -- especially when there are multi-million dollar tax free offers on the table in Europe.

Look at the deals Shved, Pekovic, Splitter, Mozgov, Jerebko, Teletovic, etc got initially, and I can completely see why Satoransky wants more than Draymond Green money.

I'd love to see then next CBA address this somehow. I'd like to see nba teams be able to afford the best players.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#543 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:20 pm

I agree Fisher - and I think much of this comes from his agent. His agent is going to go after the best deal - and that will be in Europe. EG isn't going to use a portion of the MLE - and we don't have the bi-annual available - ugh.

He will probably get a $2M+ deal in Europe vs. a min deal here of $507,336. His agent just isn't going to let him take that.

And it is ridiculous to expect him to play in SL - not ridiculous to ask but ridiculous to expect he would come.

The only question is - will he sign a 2 or 3 year contract in Europe and could he be available when he is 25.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#544 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:28 pm

So who would take Webster and Satoransky for an expiring?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#545 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41 pm

closg00 wrote:The Spurs would have Sato in SL & their D-League team for the year until they needed him.

Not every player on the Spurs immediately comes over. Tiago Splitter comes to mind.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#546 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 pm

dckingsfan wrote:So who would take Webster and Satoransky for an expiring?

Honestly. Im not sure how long his contract with Barcelona is that he just signed, but I think he'll have more value to use in 2-3 years as the 3rd guard as a contender.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#547 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:42 pm

dckingsfan wrote:What we need is some buzz by our local writers that make a case that Sat would go in the first round this year. Then the national press picks it up and we might get a late first for him.

This strategy doesn't seem to be working well for the New York Knicks.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#548 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:40 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:So who would take Webster and Satoransky for an expiring?

Honestly. Im not sure how long his contract with Barcelona is that he just signed, but I think he'll have more value to use in 2-3 years as the 3rd guard as a contender.

He hasn't signed an agreement yet from what I heard. He is weighing a couple of competing agreements from European teams. If an NBA team swooped in with a bi-annual he might take it.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#549 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:52 pm

I have no trouble understanding why Satoransky doesn't want to come over and play in SL before having signed a contract -- he's played plenty of basketball at a level that tells you more than SL ever will. In fact, the opposite, I also have no trouble understanding his problem w/ the high-handed manner in which EG is dealing with him.

Might all turn out fine. But, if not, just another nail in EG's coffin -- Jae Crowder, who I and so many others wanted w/ the pick used on Satoransky, is turning into a good NBA player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#550 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:52 pm

OK, now the deal is done. FC Barcelona gana la puja por Satoransky...
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#551 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:59 pm

What bugs me is that EG knew he was going to be signing a contract unless we were willing to use a portion of the MLE. He chose not to - but why not trade the rights to Satoransky to someone that might sign him?

Then again, he might have tried to do just that - either way - we won't see him for 3 to 5 years now.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#552 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

dckingsfan wrote:What bugs me is that EG knew he was going to be signing a contract unless we were willing to use a portion of the MLE. He chose not to - but why not trade the rights to Satoransky to someone that might sign him?

Then again, he might have tried to do just that - either way - we won't see him for 3 to 5 years now.

Another fine piece of drafting by Ernie Grunfool.

Meantime, Jae Crowder -- whom most of us here wanted w/ that pick -- has quickly turned into a solid NBA player, and he has beaucoup upside still!

Arrgh.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#553 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:11 pm

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:What bugs me is that EG knew he was going to be signing a contract unless we were willing to use a portion of the MLE. He chose not to - but why not trade the rights to Satoransky to someone that might sign him?

Meantime, Jae Crowder -- whom most of us here wanted w/ that pick -- has quickly turned into a solid NBA player, and he has beaucoup upside still!

Arrgh.

yep, and kudos to those who wanted to pick Crowder.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#554 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Arrgh.

The guy who has a below average WS/48 playing 16 mpg?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#555 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:57 pm

fishercob wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:Another fine piece of drafting by Ernie Grunfool.

Arrgh.

The guy who has a below average WS/48 playing 16 mpg?

I like the guy, he has improved year over year...
Nivek wrote: Replacement player?

In my metrics he is getting close to replacement player and his value is quite good. I think of him as having better value than Martell Webster his first couple of years.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#556 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Quincy Acy, Khris Middleton, Mike Scott and Kyle O'Quinn were all drafted after Satoransky.

Hence why you would think you would have some urgency to bring him over or turn him into an asset in a trade.

It isn't a huge deal - just all the little things keep adding up.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#557 » by mhd » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:51 am

Well, according to J Michael, he signed in Spain and can't come over for 2 years.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#558 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:54 am

Good now let this thread die. Wish Grunfail would go with it
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#559 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Gotta wonder what Ernie's thought processes were in picking Sato. If he doesn't develop - don't sign him... that part makes sense. But if he does show signs of being a legit player... then what? Was there even a plan - other than let him go to a Euro team that's willing to pay him more than the NBA minimum?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#560 » by Severn Hoos » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:28 am

Ruzious wrote:Gotta wonder what Ernie's thought processes were in picking Sato. If he doesn't develop - don't sign him... that part makes sense. But if he does show signs of being a legit player... then what? Was there even a plan - other than let him go to a Euro team that's willing to pay him more than the NBA minimum?

Well, as I recall, at the time the consensus - though never explicitly stated by the front office - was to get a running mate for Vesely. I suppose they thought picking a fellow countryman might help bring out all that untapped potential they just knew was there all the time. Really, not unlike the Gasol-Navarro rumors that GMs wanted to get the PG to appease/attract the big man. Or like the Heat taking Napier to show their undying love for LeBron.

Well, except that Pau and LeBron are actually good at basketball...
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose

Return to Washington Wizards