Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#81 » by hands11 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 12:07 am

9M over 3 years for Kidd.

Kidd will presumably backup Jeremy Lin if he is ultimately retained as expected.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... z1znQjCY9f

That's not a bad deal. Would have been nice to have Kidd here as the back up to Wall for that amount.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#82 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 6, 2012 12:17 am

The idea of Kidd playing 3 more years is insane. Frankly I thought he should have retired.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#83 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 6, 2012 12:37 am

If I were an NBA player and I didn't have any compelling future plans, I would keep playing for as long as someone was willing to pay me. I wouldn't totally embarrass myself, but for old pros the NBA is like a pickup game. They can run. Why not take the millions if you can contribute?

Juwan Howard could have retired 4 or 5 years ago. Dat, I agree that Kidd is a shell of what he was, but I can't fault the player for taking the deal. IIRC he's got a new wife and family to take care of.

Wouldn't want his kids "starving" like Sprewell's. :)
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#84 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 12:55 am

Jeff Green getting 4 yrs/$40 million.

I'm telling you guys, if this is the way the market is going to play out over the next couple of years, don't be surprised if Ariza opts out and tries for another pay day.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#85 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:04 am

The Denver Nuggets plan on sending three to four big men to work out with 2-time NBA Champion, 12-time All-Star, two-time DPOY Hakeem Olajuwon this summer, and one of those is JaVale McGee. Hakeem Olajuwon said Nuggets expect to send 3 or 4 big men to work out with him in August in Houston

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/ar ... n/11126366

What a complete shocker, Denver not wasting any time doing what the Wizards should have done for their bigs. JaVale asked for this kind of support and Ernie told him he'd have to pay for it himself.

Only the Nets have a worse GM, but at- least the owner will spend money.

Thanks for the link MF23
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#86 » by dangermouse » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:18 am

Some of these deals this offseason are making the Okafor/Ariza trade look like a savvy move.

They are making Blatche's contract look reasonable. So much for that lockout huh boys????
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
closg00
RealGM

Post#87 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:22 am

Craziest thing so-far? The Heat, Hawks, and Knicks are interested in signing Rashard Lewis. This couldn't be true could it?
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#88 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:36 am

closg00 wrote:Craziest thing so-far? The Heat, Hawks, and Knicks are interested in signing Rashard Lewis. This couldn't be true could it?

What do they have to lose signing him for the vet minimum?
closg00
RealGM

Post#89 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:42 am

verbal8 wrote:
closg00 wrote:Craziest thing so-far? The Heat, Hawks, and Knicks are interested in signing Rashard Lewis. This couldn't be true could it?

A roster spot for a productive vet who isn't broken-down.
hands11
Banned User

Post#90 » by hands11 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:44 am

closg00 wrote:So the Bucks offer on the table for Ilyasova, is 5-year $40 mil.

Ps. I think Sullinger is going to be fine with the Celtics, not a bust at all, he can hit from outside and bang and battle in the post. He's a good-fit for the way the Celts play.

He is their big baby replacement.
hands11
Banned User

Post#91 » by hands11 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:57 am

closg00 wrote: 
The Denver Nuggets plan on sending three to four big men to work out with 2-time NBA Champion, 12-time All-Star, two-time DPOY Hakeem Olajuwon this summer, and one of those is JaVale McGee. Hakeem Olajuwon said Nuggets expect to send 3 or 4 big men to work out with him in August in Houston

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/ar ... n/11126366

What a complete shocker, Denver not wasting any time doing what the Wizards should have done for their bigs. JaVale asked for this kind of support and Ernie told him he'd have to pay for it himself.

Only the Nets have a worse GM, but at- least the owner will spend money.

Thanks for the link MF23

They were on strike. right ? I don't think he could have done anything.
hands11
Banned User

Post#92 » by hands11 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:58 am

closg00 wrote:
verbal8 wrote:

A roster spot for a productive vet who isn't broken-down.

He has a entire year to rest up. Maybe he can play a few games. As long as it doesn't cost much, I see little risk in it. Specially if they have him looked over.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#93 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 6, 2012 2:39 am

Reports of Brandon Roy to the T-Wolves. Portland has to match Batum -- they'd be sick seeing ROy and Batum play there.

But man, if they let Batum go, keep a close eye on Lamarcus Aldridge. His trade demand would not be far behind.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#94 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 3:47 am

Roy has no knees, why is he getting $10 million?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#95 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 4:16 am

Rafael122 wrote:Roy has no knees, why is he getting $10 million?

Roy with no knees is better than Wes Johnson who is healthy and upright.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#96 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 6, 2012 5:10 am

Rafael122 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Yep. Better to have cap room with a young, ascending core than with a geriatric, declining core. The Mavs' cupboard is pretty bare.
Exactly.

The Wizards and Mavericks are two completely different situations. For Dallas, the point of creating the cap room was to lure Deron Williams (who many put in a Mavs uni halfway through last season). For the Wizards, it's not so much about signing that prized free agent as having the flexibility to make moves to better the team. My problem wasn't that we used our cap-space. It was WHO we used it on.

But everyone keeps saying we could have done better, but no one has yet to come out and say hey this is who we should have gotten instead.

There are reports that say the the offer sheet Batum just signed with Minnesota is very similar to what Ryan Anderson is expected to get. Looking at most knowledgeable Magic fans, they're reading that and saying "bye bye, Ryan" because they know their team won't match whoever offers that.

I'd take either Batum at 10mil per year or Anderson at the same price over Okafor and Ariza. That would be a smart allocation of resources, in my opinion.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#97 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jul 6, 2012 6:22 am

miller31time wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
miller31time wrote:Yep. Better to have cap room with a young, ascending core than with a geriatric, declining core. The Mavs' cupboard is pretty bare.
Exactly.

The Wizards and Mavericks are two completely different situations. For Dallas, the point of creating the cap room was to lure Deron Williams (who many put in a Mavs uni halfway through last season). For the Wizards, it's not so much about signing that prized free agent as having the flexibility to make moves to better the team. My problem wasn't that we used our cap-space. It was WHO we used it on.

But everyone keeps saying we could have done better, but no one has yet to come out and say hey this is who we should have gotten instead.

There are reports that say the the offer sheet Batum just signed with Minnesota is very similar to what Ryan Anderson is expected to get. Looking at most knowledgeable Magic fans, they're reading that and saying "bye bye, Ryan" because they know their team won't match whoever offers that.

I'd take either Batum at 10mil per year or Anderson at the same price over Okafor and Ariza. That would be a smart allocation of resources, in my opinion.

Batum's deal is actually between $11.5 and $12.5 million:

APNewsBreak: Timberwolves agree to terms with Batum on 4-year, $45M offer sheet with bonuses that can push it past $50M. Batum wants MN

Also, reports are that Portland will match:

WojYahooNBA Whatever Nic Batum decides to do - signs a Minny offer sheet, or not - he'll be a Blazer again. Portland isn't losing him to the Wolves.

WojYahooNBA Minnesota's considered pitching a Derrick Williams-Martell Webster sign-and-trade for Nic Batum, sources say. Portland would reject it.

@KBergCBS Others have touched on this, but Blazers have nothing but contempt for Minnesota's bid for RFA Nicolas Batum. Sorry, Nic, you're staying.

There's more reports than just that one saying as much, but Wojo and Berg have cred.

We'll see what happens with the Rhino; Can't say eight figures a year sounds great to me. Batum probably has greater breakout potential if put on a running team.

Ilyasova sounds to be getting offers in the $8 million range, which sounds pretty cheap in this financial climate.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#98 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 10:48 am

Hoopalotta wrote:Ilyasova sounds to be getting offers in the $8 million range, which sounds pretty cheap in this financial climate.

I think that sounds pretty good compared to say Ryan Anderson at 11-12 million per year. Anderson is a better shooter, but they are pretty close in terms of other stats with Ilyasova having an edge in rebounding.
closg00
RealGM

Post#99 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 11:07 am

I don't have the quote handy, but IIyasova's agent said that they were looking for more $$, somethingin the 10 mil range.
closg00
RealGM

Post#100 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 11:12 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Roy has no knees, why is he getting $10 million?

Roy with no knees is better than Wes Johnson who is healthy and upright.

:lol: Johnson is expiring this year, they probably try to dump him. Still, what kind of production can be expected from Roy over 82 games? Having a great heart doesn't replace shot knees.

Return to Washington Wizards