Wizards Sign Martell Webster

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Wizards Sign Martell Webster 

Post#261 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 9:59 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Good thing Webster like it here and he feel like a core part of what is going on.

I am no cap expert but I assume we will be able to resign him with a cap exemption. Right ?

Plus maybe they can move 4.5M of Booker and Crawford for expiring and picks. That is if they have no place here. Should be interesting to see what happens at the trade deadline.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... t/3-points

Look where he ranks for 3 pt shooter now.

What a total steal. He only cost 1.6M this year.

Yes. We can resign Webster as long as he costs less than the MLE (and God I hope he doesn't cost that much). Signing him will put us close to the luxtax threshold (within $3-5M), but not over.

So without being a homer who wants to underpay him. What do you think is his value.

http://bkref.com/tiny/hcPZH

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... l-forwards

Stats don't lie. He has been playing very well.

He is a top 3 point shooter. Top FT shooter. Dude is a great voice in the locker room. And he is PR/Marketing gold. He even picks up little kids on the side lines and lifts them in the air.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... l-forwards

He is 26.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/milwaukee.htm

Ilyasova is a better rebounder but he is making 8M a year over 4 years with a team option for the 5th.

Webster at 5M a year for 3 years would seem to be a pretty lucky deal for the Wizards. Seeing as he likes it here and that he has some injury history, maybe he would go along with that since that is the best the Wizards could really do for him. 5M is nothing to sneeze at. He could feel good about that and given his injury history, banking 15M doesn't suck if you like where you are and believe in what the team is building.

Remember. He was quoted as saying he loves this organization.

If they could sign him like that and turnaround and sing Trevor A to a similar deal, they would have SF covered for the next 3-4 years. Something this team has needed for a long time. And neither deal would be so bad that they couldn't move to something different if the opportunity presented itself in a year or so. Assets that help you now and well valued to move if needed. That is how you build a team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#262 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:50 pm

Ilyasova is simply a poor comparison. Yes, their shooting numbers are similar, but it's an extremely important distinction that Ilyasova can do it from the PF position while credibly guarding opposing PF's and getting boards. It provides a whole other dimension to Milwaukee's team

You compare Webster to other swing men who post similar numbers (low usage, high efficiency). Good comparisons would be guys like Jared Dudley, Brandon Rush, Mike Dunleavy, Danny Green, Thabo Sefolosha and Dorell Wright. All of those guys make between $3.5M and $4.5M.
hands11
Banned User

Post#263 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 am

nate33 wrote:Ilyasova is simply a poor comparison. Yes, their shooting numbers are similar, but it's an extremely important distinction that Ilyasova can do it from the PF position while credibly guarding opposing PF's and getting boards. It provides a whole other dimension to Milwaukee's team

You compare Webster to other swing men who post similar numbers (low usage, high efficiency). Good comparisons would be guys like Jared Dudley, Brandon Rush, Mike Dunleavy, Danny Green, Thabo Sefolosha and Dorell Wright. All of those guys make between $3.5M and $4.5M.

I pointed out the rebounding part. The search was a simple one.

Filter by SF, 3PT shooter and FT shooting.

I posted the links. You seem to have a few tall SG in there but Ok.

It was meant to start a dialog. So you feel 3.5 to 4.5 can get it done ? Works for me if that is true.

Dunleavy is 3.5M but due for a new contract. That makes that value hard to read.
Jared Dudley may be a good way to gauge his value. $4,250,000 over 3 years.

4M for 3 years with an option works. Get it done Ted/EG.
hands11
Banned User

Post#264 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 am

opps
hands11
Banned User

Post#265 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 am

opps 2x
hands11
Banned User

Post#266 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:21 am

nate33 wrote:Ilyasova is simply a poor comparison. Yes, their shooting numbers are similar, but it's an extremely important distinction that Ilyasova can do it from the PF position while credibly guarding opposing PF's and getting boards. It provides a whole other dimension to Milwaukee's team

I pointed out the rebounding part. The search was a simple one.

Filter by SF, 3PT shooter and FT shooting.

I posted the links. You seem to have a few tall SG in there but Ok.

It was meant to start a dialog. So you feel 3.5 to 4.5 can get it done ? Works for me if that is true.

Dunleavy is 3.5M but due for a new contract. That makes that value hard to read.
Jared Dudley may be a good way to gauge his value. $4,250,000 over 3 years.

4M for 3 years with an option works. Get it done Ted/EG.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#267 » by willbcocks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 am

The most I would offer Webster is 9 million over 3 years. If they can add more by frontloading it onto next year's salary cap, so be it, but I don't want more than 6 million committed over the following two years.

He has been a very solid role player, despite the occasional mental lapses. But we're not in a position to start dishing out our cap to role players.
hands11
Banned User

Post#268 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:48 am

Wow. What a nice find by Ted/EG

Holding strong compared to the best 3 pt shooters. .446
Ranked 5th in percent and only .002 from being 3rd

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... t/3-points

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... ll-webster

At this point, he is having a career year. TS% .623 :o USG 16.2 Now that's efficient.

Couldn't be happening to a nicer guy. Love the way he interacts with the kids during home games. He picks them up. Phil even talked about how he had some young fans passing him the ball during warm ups. They would pass it, he would turn and shoot. Three times and he sank all three. What a throw back he is. Real old school. Could have played on the 70s team with Phil himself and fit right in.
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#269 » by PZiv » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 pm

willbcocks wrote:The most I would offer Webster is 9 million over 3 years. If they can add more by frontloading it onto next year's salary cap, so be it, but I don't want more than 6 million committed over the following two years.

He has been a very solid role player, despite the occasional mental lapses. But we're not in a position to start dishing out our cap to role players.

My idea was is that crawford trade could have been used to dump Ves, that part of Ves salary could have been used to retain Martell on a more decent contract of 3.5m-4.5m per season.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#270 » by dangermouse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 am

Finding this diamond in the rough is probably the only good thing Ernie has ever accomplished as the GM of the Wizards since trading Kwame for Caron.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#271 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:In a sense, the Wizards have traded Blatche for Webster... both players drafted in the 2005 draft out of high school. Ernie essentially swapped the #49 pick in the draft for the #6 pick, albeit 7 yrs after the fact.

On the positive side of looking at it, Webster was a #6 pick. Okafor was a #2 pick, and one with an NCAA championship past. Ariza won a championship with LAL.

Webster could be a busted up player. Or, maybe he'll hit outside shots as needed and also be a good mentor to young players. He had pretty good physical skills pre-injury,

We speculated back in August how the acquisitions might turn out. I was very negative on Okafor/Ariza for Lewis, but speculated on a "perfect storm" scenario in which all of Webster, Ariza, and Okafor all returned to form and played their best basketball. That seemed very highly unlikely, considering all had declining numbers and a couple injury problems over the past 2-3 years.

The great news is the Wizards truly are getting the best of Webster, Okafor, and Ariza.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#272 » by hands11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Now this is a real leader of men. Sorry AJ.

They have to bring him back. Honestly. I really think he is the true team leader among the players.

After basketball, he needs to become a motivational speaker.

This dude rocks.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ec17ed0000
Geraldgreen12
Banned User
And1: 0

Martell Webster draft video Workout 

Post#273 » by Geraldgreen12 » Fri Mar 1, 2013 12:06 am

Martell webster supposing lit it up during his workout with the blazers
Such a nice stroke
Here's an old video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LasAHS4wBdE
hands11
Banned User

Post#274 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:03 am

Web Wow. :lol:

Watch an amazing find.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#275 » by FAH1223 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 am

I'm thinking we need to re-sign Webster. I held back my judgment on it cause of his history with injuries. But, he is a high character guy but he has stayed healthy and been a very positive influence in the locker room. I think you need to keep a guy like that around... at the right price of course.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#276 » by Knighthonor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:56 am

Wow this dude is like a **** Gil out there!!!!

Ghost of Gil strikes again
hands11
Banned User

Post#277 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 am

Only 6 games by M Web was the high scorer in the league today.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailyleaders/_/sort/points

:clap:
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#278 » by TheBigThree » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:00 am

Martell was asked about staying with the team next year in the post game today. Says he loves the area, the fans and was VERY, VERY effusive about the guys in the locker room. But, he recognized it's a business and he's certainly smart enough to know his stock is increasing with each game.

I hope they find a way to get something done that is good for both parties.
hands11
Banned User

Post#279 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:05 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ec17ed0000

Oh No. Webster talking about the West coast and how its a business.

But John Wall already put in his bid to Ted.

What might another team offer him ? You would hope up to the full 5M mid cap would do it. Wouldn't it ?

Its not just what he is doing on the court. He is to important to this team as a leader to let him go.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#280 » by Knighthonor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 am

trade him for lotto pick in 2014 draft. hurry before its too late. Be smart GM like Okc did Harden.

Return to Washington Wizards