Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: BREAKING: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#41 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Spence wrote:
Nivek wrote:The Wizards say he doesn't need surgery. If you're a cockeyed optimist, that's good news. If you've paid much attention to the Wizards through the years, it's at least even money that Wall DOES need surgery and that he'll end up missing the season.

Let me see if I can fix this post for you, Kevin:
Nivek wrote:The Wizards say he doesn't need surgery. If you're a cockeyed optimist, that's good news. If you've paid much attention to the Wizards through the years, it's at least even money that Wall DOES need leg replacement surgery and that he'll end up missing the decade.

:lol:

:banghead:
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#42 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Nivek wrote:The Wizards say he doesn't need surgery. If you're a cockeyed optimist, that's good news. If you've paid much attention to the Wizards through the years, it's at least even money that Wall DOES need surgery and that he'll end up missing the season.

I want to know what Phoenix's medical staff would say.

Honestly, this is the last darn thing you need to hear about Wall. He puts on weight (muscle is weight) and he immediately hurts his knee. I don't know if Wall wasn't properly stretched, whether he overtrained, or if he lifted improperly, or if he tried something new; but that's usually why these things happen.

Gilbert's demise started off seemingly minor in the eyes of the Wizards doctors. Get John Wall the best of the best and see what they say.

Stretching wouldn't have helped with a stress fracture.

But yeah, agree with you completely on the Phoenix thing.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#43 » by Halcyon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:16 pm

There's no way he's only out for 8 weeks. No chance this timetable will be correct.

Is this something we can bet on in Vegas? Easy money!
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#44 » by DMVleGeND » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Shelvin Mack or AJ Price as starting PG?!

n regards to Wall's injury, this is devastating. The organization was hoping he was going to breakout this yr, and add the the fact that the Wizards medical staff is horrible and has a history of rushing players back from injury. FML.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#45 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

closg00 wrote:This is sad and terrible news. However, this event is why some of us wanted the best back-up we could get within reason. When you fill the rest of your roster with bargin-bin players, you end-up with Price/Mack instead of Aaron Brooks or someone else capable of filling that role at a high level.

If I were EG, I'd try to make a play for Shaun Livingston, he is still in limbo in Houston.

+1. Agreed about making a play for livingston
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#46 » by nuposse04 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:25 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
closg00 wrote:This is sad and terrible news. However, this event is why some of us wanted the best back-up we could get within reason. When you fill the rest of your roster with bargin-bin players, you end-up with Price/Mack instead of Aaron Brooks or someone else capable of filling that role at a high level.

If I were EG, I'd try to make a play for Shaun Livingston, he is still in limbo in Houston.

+1. Agreed about making a play for livingston

The only thing we have in excess of are Forwards...which they kind of already have...what could we give em? They know we're desperate now...
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#47 » by JAR69 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Carlos Arroyo?
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Livingston would fit right in. In my rating system, here's how Livingston compares with Price and Mack (100 = average; 60 = replacement level):

- Price -- 77
- Mack -- 73
- Livingston -- 67
-- Malcolm Gladwell

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#49 » by TheNewEra » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Clippers Fan

Love your team don't think you guys should tank with all the moves that were made. Put Booker or Ves on the block and get the quality PG that you always needed. Barea, Neal,vBlake or later on Robinson could be options
REDardWIZskin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#50 » by REDardWIZskin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:37 pm

So who's gonna start the 2013 draft thread?
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#51 » by Jay81 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

what a disgusting wretched organization. Ted---Clean house you piece of crap. Get rid of everyone who is tied to the old regime....get a new medical staff,GM,etc

this is what Ted deserves for keeping Ernie.

And 2 months in Wizards years is 2 years.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#52 » by DMVleGeND » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:39 pm

People might disagree with me, but this could be a blessing in disguise. With Wall and Nene not healthy yet, we could make another run for a high lottery pick, and if we have another season ending up in the high lottery, surely Ernie will be fired. (although the injuries could give him more excuses). We were well on are way to becoming a mediocre team, but but our course could shift if we have a bad record again.

Obviously I hope Wall's injury isn't long term though.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#53 » by nuposse04 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:42 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Clippers Fan

Love your team don't think you guys should tank with all the moves that were made. Put Booker or Ves on the block and get the quality PG that you always needed. Barea, Neal,vBlake or later on Robinson could be options

Barea is the only one on that list worth trading for. IF it is only an 8 week affair we don't need to do any desperate trades...but that is a massive IF.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:People might disagree with me, but this could be a blessing in disguise. With Wall and Nene not healthy yet, we could make another run for a high lottery pick, and if we have another high lottery pick, surely Ernie will be fired. (although the injuries could give him more excuses). We were well on are way to becoming a mediocre team, but but our course could shift if we have a bad record again.

Obviously I hope Wall's injury isn't long term though.

You've got parts of this wrong. Here's the more likely scenario:

- Wall and Nene out -- Wiz drive the tank and get the #4 pick
- with built in excuse, Ernie gets another year
- Ernie trades #4 pick for Carlos Boozer
- Boozer trips coming out of the hot tub and never plays for the Wizards
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Newk Rollins
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#55 » by Newk Rollins » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm

I remember when Gilbert had his first knee surgery. The W Post said that DURING HIS SURGERY for the primary injury (I think it was his MCL), the Wizards' quack doctor noticed that GIlbert needed microfracture surgery, so, since they were already operating, they did the microfracture surgery as well.

At the time, I remember thinking this was nuts, as microfracture surgery then was difficult, risky and uncommon. And also, normally before doing something like that you'd want a second opinion. And you'd want to find the best microfracture surgeon possible. And then also I thought they should have done prep for that sort of surgery...

Maybe Gilbert needed microfracture surgery all along, and the Wizards just decided to disclose the information in this odd way. Anyway, I remembered this because it just seemed so strange at the time.

So my advice to Wall- get good opinions, and don't let the Wiz doctors (if they're the same guys) anywhere near you. Based on past history, it is certainly possible that the diagnosis is wrong.

It's also very possible that the information we're getting from the Wizards is wrong. About that last thought- suppose you're Ted. The Caps are most likely shut down for the year. The Mystics- I won't go there. Now the Wizards are losing their best marketing and performing asset for perhaps all the year. The season is going down the tubes. In this situation, Ted might say just what they've said. "He's out for 8 weeks." Keep people buying tickets, etc.

BTW, kudos to EG for not getting a competent backup at the beginning when everyone on this board said the Wizards needed one.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Newk Rollins wrote:I remember when Gilbert had his first knee surgery. The W Post said that DURING HIS SURGERY for the primary injury (I think it was his MCL), the Wizards' quack doctor noticed that GIlbert needed microfracture surgery, so, since they were already operating, they did the microfracture surgery as well.

At the time, I remember thinking this was nuts, as microfracture surgery then was difficult, risky and uncommon. And also, normally before doing something like that you'd want a second opinion. And you'd want to find the best microfracture surgeon possible. And then also I thought they should have done prep for that sort of surgery...

Maybe Gilbert needed microfracture surgery all along, and the Wizards just decided to disclose the information in this odd way. Anyway, I remembered this because it just seemed so strange at the time.

So my advice to Wall- get good opinions, and don't let the Wiz doctors (if they're the same guys) anywhere near you. Based on past history, it is certainly possible that the diagnosis is wrong.

It's also very possible that the information we're getting from the Wizards is wrong. About that last thought- suppose you're Ted. The Caps are most likely shut down for the year. The Mystics- I won't go there. Now the Wizards are losing their best marketing and performing asset for perhaps all the year. The season is going down the tubes. In this situation, Ted might say just what they've said. "He's out for 8 weeks." Keep people buying tickets, etc.

BTW, kudos to EG for not getting a competent backup at the beginning when everyone on this board said the Wizards needed one.

Good lord you have a lousy memory. :)

Arenas initial injury was a torn meniscus. The initial surgery seemed to be routine. His recovery was not.

When he went back in for new surgery, microfracture surgery was an un-publicized possibility going in. This is because the surgery for a meniscus tear essentially trims away damaged cartilage. Which leaves a hole in the cartilage. When the doctors got into the knee and could actually see what was going on, they found that the hole in his cartilage had gotten bigger so they did the microfracture procedure, which is supposed to help fill that hole (over time).

When Arenas had the microfracture surgery, it had become routine and common. By the time he had it done, a number of athletes had undergone the procedure and returned to action. In Arenas' case, the likelihood of success from a microfracture procedure was possible to be even higher than for other athletes because it was done on the fibula (non-weight-bearing) and not the tibia (where most athletes have it done).

All that said, I agree with your final conclusion: Wall should not trust that the Wiz doctors have anything correct. He should demand second, third and fourth opinions. He should have his agent identify who the best doc is for this kind of thing. He should go visit James Andrews.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57 pm

I have no specific information on John Wall's injury. Here's a link to an extensive article on patella stress fractures:

http://www.optechsportsmed.com/article/S1060-1872(09)00064-1/abstract

Normal Radiographs, Positive Bone Scan
If radiographs are normal, but a bone scan is positive, then a period of rest is usually sufficient to allow a full recovery to be made.

Hopefully, Wall makes a full recovery after a period of rest. (Wizards luck says don't count on it.)

DMVleGeND, I don't know about blessing in disguise. I'm not feeling it at all. This SUCKS, but I guess all we can do is move forward and try to see it possibly all working out for the best.

I don't know who the Mavs would want from the Wizards, but Rod Beaubois wouldn't be a bad trade acquisition right now. They drafted Cunningham out of Oregon State, and have acquired Darren Collison and Delonte West (a guy Rick Carlisle likes). Beaubois is a really good PG/SG.
Bye bye Beal.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#58 » by sashae » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:17 pm

closg00 wrote:

My thinking exactly. As I understand it, Livingston was waived by Houston? Ugh. UGH.

Maybe it's time to deal 'Mek or Booker for someone non-terrible?
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#59 » by Benjammin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:31 pm

So, who's got the keys to the tank so we can rev that bad boy up?
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#60 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:53 pm

I wish wizards can trade there medical staff to suns for the suns medical staff.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal

Return to Washington Wizards