Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Re: Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I 

Post#1461 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:The guy I really want at PG is Trey Burke. If he's available in the teens, we need to move heaven and earth to acquire a mid-first round pick and draft him.

Yup, even if it means trading a future 1st.

One thing that gives me some hope is that an awful lot of lower ranked teams already have young PG's in place.

As of right now, the guys picking in the middle of the round are as follows:

7. Cleveland (Irving)
8. Minnesota (Rubio)
9. Detroit (Knight)
10. Toronto (Irving)
11. Philly (Holiday)
12. Dallas
13. Portland (Lillard)
14. Lakers (Nash)
15. Milwaukee (Jennings)
16. Houston (Lin)
17. Boston (Rondo)
18. Utah
19. Chicago (Rose)
20. Golden State (Curry)

It looks like Burke is a pretty sure bet to slip to at least #12 in Dallas (I suppose Detroit is a small possibility). If he gets past Dallas, then the Lakers and MIlwaukee might consider him. If not, he falls all the way to #18.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1462 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 pm

popper wrote:What about Erick Green as a combo guard with one of our second round picks? Also DX has Porter as the 15th selection which sounds ridiculous to me as I think he goes 4-7. Am I crazy?

Yeah, I posted about Erick Green in December. He should be at least effective.
Bye bye Beal.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1463 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:27 pm

If you draft Trey Burke, you probably have to get rid of Wall. That would be a drastic shift in the direction of the build. I don't know if that's wise. But I do know the team won't do it.

I think our choices in the class are fairly good and common sense. I think Zeller and Noel are easy choices but we're probably not going to pick high enough to get them. Following that I think Porter is a no brainer for us and is likely to be in our draft range. Len makes sense too but is less desirable now than Porter would be. If one of those four is available at our pick, we should be picking them.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1464 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 pm

tontoz wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yup, even if it means trading a future 1st.

I think Noel still goes #1, but there will be a very good front court player available with the Wiz pick. Bennett is still worth seeing how he does in measurements (particularly standing reach) and even how he impresses teams in workouts. He's a compelling talent - though I wonder if he's injured - based on his stats from the last 2 games.

He has a shoulder injury which has apparently been bothering him for awhile.

Good. I was hoping there was a good excuse.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1465 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:The guy I really want at PG is Trey Burke. If he's available in the teens, we need to move heaven and earth to acquire a mid-first round pick and draft him.

One thing that gives me some hope is that an awful lot of lower ranked teams already have young PG's in place.

7. Cleveland (Irving)
8. Minnesota (Rubio)
9. Detroit (Knight)
10. Toronto (Irving)
11. Philly (Holiday)
12. Dallas
13. Portland (Lillard)
14. Lakers (Nash)
15. Milwaukee (Jennings)
16. Houston (Lin)
17. Boston (Rondo)
18. Utah
19. Chicago (Rose)
20. Golden State (Curry)

It looks like Burke is a pretty sure bet to slip to at least #12 in Dallas (I suppose Detroit is a small possibility). If he gets past Dallas, then the Lakers and MIlwaukee might consider him. If not, he falls all the way to #18.

Yeah, Dallas is probably the key. Maybe Cuban prefers McCallum (sp?) - thinking he can duplicate Lillard's success.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1466 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

7. Cleveland (Irving)
8. Minnesota (Rubio)
9. Detroit (Knight)
10. Toronto (Irving)
11. Philly (Holiday)
12. Dallas
13. Portland (Lillard)
14. Lakers (Nash)
15. Milwaukee (Jennings)
16. Houston (Lin)
17. Boston (Rondo)
18. Utah
19. Chicago (Rose)
20. Golden State (Curry)

Lakers don't have their pick. Phoenix got it in the Nash trade.

So it looks like if he slips, Dallas will scoop him up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1467 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:If you draft Trey Burke, you probably have to get rid of Wall. That would be a drastic shift in the direction of the build. I don't know if that's wise. But I do know the team won't do it.

I think our choices in the class are fairly good and common sense. I think Zeller and Noel are easy choices but we're probably not going to pick high enough to get them. Following that I think Porter is a no brainer for us and is likely to be in our draft range. Len makes sense too but is less desirable now than Porter would be. If one of those four is available at our pick, we should be picking them.

I think you could play Burke and Wall together - with Burke off the ball. It's good to have 2 players able to play the point - and a hedge if Wall is not re-signed.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#1468 » by popper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 pm

I know this has been posted here before but I want to re-emphasis it in relation to our ability to improve the team. If we were to remove Wall's number 1 selection history from the calculation he would be just another inefficient, under-performing PG, one of the worst in the league. The FO needs to start managing this team based on metrics and not emotion. Wall should be traded so we can strengthen the team with an additional pick. Plus we save the hassle of negotiating a difficult extension. As far as I'm concerned if he doesn't miraculously improve over the rest of the season I'd dump him.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1469 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:If you draft Trey Burke, you probably have to get rid of Wall. That would be a drastic shift in the direction of the build. I don't know if that's wise. But I do know the team won't do it.

I think you could play Burke and Wall together - with Burke off the ball. It's good to have 2 players able to play the point - and a hedge if Wall is not re-signed.

I don't know, it's hard to picture a backcourt of 2 guys who are primarily PGs working out. I mean, if you had, say, Jose Calderon and Brandon Knight, you couldn't possibly play them together, could you? There's no way that pair could possibly hold their own against a top-tier backcourt, right?
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
RealGM

Post#1470 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Finding a way to draft Burke or McCollum to push Wall would be safer and better than trading Wall and starting with a new PG. I would rather play Burke or McCollum with Wall and/or Beal.

I would trade Wall for the rights to Marcus Smart.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1471 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Going PG would 100% be the wrong choice imho.

Drafting a PG now would be akin to throwing in the towel, and would do exactly what people have been blasting Grunfeld for, devaluate an asset.

To me the Wizards have no choice but to wait out Wall's development. That doesn't mean that they can't have a contingency plan. If Smart drops, by all means acquire another draft pick, but let's also keep a close eye on what's going to happen with Eric Bledsoe.

Given his personality and game, he strikes me as a perfect fit as a running mate to Bradley Beal. I'd have no problem trading Wall at the deadline for future draft choices (the Kings/Sonics seem like a good trading partner), and targeting Bledsoe as the replacement.

Addressing the forward position is key as far as I am concerned, and while I favor Oladipo, Porter does seem like an interesting option.

I'd have to think long and hard about Bennett, namely figure out where his head is with respect to the position he'll play in the NBA, but he's got an intriguing skill set and looks like a player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1472 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I don't know, it's hard to picture a backcourt of 2 guys who are primarily PGs working out. I mean, if you had, say, Jose Calderon and Brandon Knight, you couldn't possibly play them together, could you? There's no way that pair could possibly hold their own against a top-tier backcourt, right?

That's simply scartastic.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#1473 » by dobrojim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:

well played
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1474 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Until you look at the Pistons record since the trade and realize they weren't any better than the Wizards..
RealGM

Post#1475 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:06 pm

queridiculo wrote:Going PG would 100% be the wrong choice imho.

Drafting a PG now would be akin to throwing in the towel, and would do exactly what people have been blasting Grunfeld for, devaluate an asset.

To me the Wizards have no choice but to wait out Wall's development. That doesn't mean that they can't have a contingency plan. If Smart drops, by all means acquire another draft pick, but let's also keep a close eye on what's going to happen with Eric Bledsoe.

Given his personality and game, he strikes me as a perfect fit as a running mate to Bradley Beal. I'd have no problem trading Wall at the deadline for future draft choices (the Kings/Sonics seem like a good trading partner), and targeting Bledsoe as the replacement.

Addressing the forward position is key as far as I am concerned, and while I favor Oladipo, Porter does seem like an interesting option.

I'd have to think long and hard about Bennett, namely figure out where his head is with respect to the position he'll play in the NBA, but he's got an intriguing skill set and looks like a player.

I think they need another draft pick to get a PG like Burke.

I would go after Oladipo or Porter before any PG, but I think Smart will become a star they will regret not drafting.
Bye bye Beal.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1476 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Smart has the same vulgar flaws Wall does...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1477 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

If I was the football coach at Oklahoma State, I'd be begging smart to play safety. He's got perfect size, physicality, instincts, and attitude.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#1478 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

nuposse04 wrote:Smart has the same vulgar flaws Wall does...

Yeah, I don't get a good vibe about Smart. Even though he's a freshman, I think he has the physique that gives him a "man among boys" advantage, and advantage he won't have in the pros. He's also a bad shooter. I think his upside is about that of Rodney Stuckey.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1479 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 pm

He's basically Wall as a freshman, athletic, eye popping type explosive plays, but no real skill yet. You only pick him if you're willing to gamble on the fact and unskilled guard is going to develop a true "stars" game. This organization would be idiotic to make such a gamble AGAIN. If they want a PG, go with a known commodity. Otherwise Porter and Noel are the only guys I actually WANT at this point. I could live with Len, Muhammad and Oladipo. Maybe Bennett as well.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#1480 » by Dat2U » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm not against drafting another PG, and I'm still supporting & hoping Wall can address his issues. Whether you want to keep Wall or not, we could use another PG. Not a backup PG. A 3rd guard or combo guard to slide b/w both positions. Someone that should be capable of playing with Wall or Beal. Someone capable of playing 24-28 minutes a night consistently. Ideally someone that has a good outside stroke as well.

So that would kind of eliminate Smart even tho I like him because he's raw like Wall was/is. That would mean C.J. McCollum would be a good candidate. Maybe even Trey Burke.

A guy like Michael Carter-Williams tho would be a bad fit because his skillset is too similar to Wall with no where near the upside.

Return to Washington Wizards