ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,780

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#481 » by montestewart » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:36 pm

nate33 wrote:A (Please Use More Appropriate Word) monkey would have drafted them.

nate33, is this an example of self-moderation?

I was thinking the same. I'm pretty impressed overall with the veteran contributors on this team, but they largely are not the future of the Wizards. Of the players that ought to be the future, two of them (Wall and Beal) were pretty obvious choices, and the rest look to be duds for the most part.

For now, I'm trying to be happy the Wall and Beal are apparently not duds.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,057

Post#482 » by FAH1223 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Yeah, this is why we shouldn't have confidence in the draft. We won't be picking top 5, it's a weak class, and EG has shown no ability to draft players.

We're getting another Vesley this June.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#483 » by Upper Decker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Players not suiting up for the memphis game: Beal, Nene, Webster, AJ Price, Ariza. Institutional tank effort. Clear indication Buchers reporting is accurate. EG is safe and they're tanking the season for the lotto.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 821

Post#484 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm

As others have said, not a surprise. Let's see what the offseason brings.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#485 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:52 pm

montestewart wrote:
nate33 wrote:A (Please Use More Appropriate Word) monkey would have drafted them.

nate33, is this an example of self-moderation?

I was thinking the same. I'm pretty impressed overall with the veteran contributors on this team, but they largely are not the future of the Wizards. Of the players that ought to be the future, two of them (Wall and Beal) were pretty obvious choices, and the rest look to be duds for the most part.

For now, I'm trying to be happy the Wall and Beal are apparently not duds.

No. Apparently, you can't even say a politically incorrect thing about a monkey. Looking at wikipedia, I guess the appropriate terminology would be to say "a monkey with an intellectual development disorder" would have drafted them.

It doesn't quite have the same punch.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#486 » by closg00 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:15 am

Upper Decker wrote:Players not suiting up for the memphis game: Beal, Nene, Webster, AJ Price, Ariza. Institutional tank effort. Clear indication Buchers reporting is accurate. EG is safe and they're tanking the season for the lotto.

What report? Gotta link? Thx!
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 10,437

Post#487 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 am

Props to EG. Yeah, I said it! :lol:

I know this won't be popular but's he assembled a pretty good team.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#488 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 8, 2013 2:41 pm

closg00
RealGM

Post#489 » by closg00 » Mon Apr 8, 2013 8:19 pm

Two Wizards appear on this worst-of season list.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... ght-howard

In-addition:

Executive-of-the-Year:

1. Glen Grunwald, Knicks: J.R. Smith on the cheap. Raymond Felton for decent money. Chris Copeland. Marcus Camby. Kenyon Martin. Pablo Prigioni. Someone's got to get credit for how much better the Knicks look, and that's before the genius of Jason Kidd.

2. Masai Ujiri, Nuggets: No one in Pepsi Center can really believe they're as good as they are. They just are. The biggest thing Ujiri may have been wrong about this year is that this team is not a title contender. Pretty good thing to be wrong about.

3. Daryl Morey, Rockets: Got his superstar and managed to build a good team around it, with a great future. Daryl Morey again runs the game.

4. Rob Hennigan, Magic: Their record is horrible. The team is bad. But look at the core, the future cap space, the draft picks. Tobias Harris, Nikola Vucevic, Moe Harkless. That team looks great as a rebuilding squad. Great job by Henngian throughout the season.

5. Billy King, Nets: Look, he spent the money, he got a playoff team, the team made money. Gotta be something for having it worked out, even in a disappointing shade.
closg00
RealGM

Post#490 » by closg00 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 am

I can't wait to read your end-of-season blog Ted.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#491 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 am

Kevin S, Booker, Ves, Singleton, Mack, C Martin

At least Booker has some heart.

Is it time ? This years draft really scares me.

They can't have another 2011
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#492 » by FAH1223 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 am

hands11 wrote:Kevin S, Booker, Ves, Singleton, Mack, C Martin

2010 looks bad too. Sure we have Wall. But Seraphin has regressed and Booker will not be any better than he is now.
hands11
Banned User

Post#493 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:31 am

FAH1223 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Kevin S, Booker, Ves, Singleton, Mack, C Martin

2010 looks bad too. Sure we have Wall. But Seraphin has regressed and Booker will not be any better than he is now.

Yeah, but what else was really in that draft ?

Granted. I liked Eric Bledsoe and that would have been nice to bring him and Wall together.

I don't mind them taking a change on a player like Kevin. He actually does have some skills to go along with a great powerful body. And he does seem to work hard. With him, I think he is more whats between the ears. He seems a bit like a big kid. You have to grade personality and smarts with a lot of weight as well. Gotta only add players that have that fire and smarts... Like Webster has and Wall and Beal have.

Its why a player like Bennett worries me. Just not sure he mind and focus I would want. Great body and he has skills. Just not sold that he has that other important stuff. Its why he get lost on defense.

The biggest thing I think people leave out is all the stuff that fits into the mental and personality part of the equation and really, that stuff is as important if not more then the rest.

Meanwhile, I know Pierre has it. And I know CJM has it. And they have the skills as well. You will never pick a bust if you make sure your picks have all those things along with skills. Its why you know Beal would never be a bust.

And when you can have those things along with the right body, thats when you find stars. Kobe and MJ were way more then just skills athletic players. You kill you with their minds.

But the opposite is a formula for picking a bust. Great body. Athletic. But poor skills and weak mind. You got yourself a bust or at least a low ceiling player. See Ves and Singleton. Booker has the strong mind but to injured and not enough skills. Martin has a weak mind. Bust. Kevin may still make it but he really needs to grow up to get there. It would have to be something he learns. Its not natural to him. I would rather not pick players like that. Beal was 19 and he was completely mature. Its not about age. Its personality and upbringing, etc. Hard to pick one word to describe it but you know what I mean.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,780

Post#494 » by montestewart » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:49 am

T-minus infinity
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,125

Post#495 » by queridiculo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:14 am

If the Wizards make the playoffs next year does anybody really expect Leonsis to fire this dude?

We're going to be stuck with this dude for the better part of this decade, get used to it.
hands11
Banned User

Post#496 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:46 am

queridiculo wrote:If the Wizards make the playoffs next year does anybody really expect Leonsis to fire this dude?

We're going to be stuck with this dude for the better part of this decade, get used to it.

Then this off season may be the right time to make the break.

I understood extending him two years last time. And I wanted them to bring back Randy. But now the team is looking better with some legit talent in Wall and Beal. I think they could attract better candidates at GM more so now then last year.

Would be great if they had an inspiring GM type. There is just nothing inspiring about EG. He has done some good things. And some bad things. I don't hate on him but I could now being a decent window to make a change.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#497 » by verbal8 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 am

queridiculo wrote:If the Wizards make the playoffs next year does anybody really expect Leonsis to fire this dude?

I don't see Ted firing a gm who makes the playoffs. I hold out some hope that he may get fired this offseason.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#498 » by fishercob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Ernie's Kids

and let's not forget...

HOORAY FOR ERNIE's KIDS!!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#499 » by Upper Decker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:49 pm

I've given up hope that EG gets fired. We can only hope that the individual excellence of Wall and Beal push this team to win despite how hard EG tries to ruin it. Ted will never fire EG, he’s too cheap and too “Abe loyal”.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,288

Post#500 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 pm

So now that Ernie's kids failed to even reach the lowered bar of "50% since Wall's return," does EG still get to keep his job?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.

Return to Washington Wizards