ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Re: Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25 

Post#101 » by MJG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 pm

I would trade anything except Wall/Beal/1st, and I don't even particularly like Cousins. I'd start with Seraphin and their pick of any or all of our other youngsters, and hope they bite. If they wanted Nene instead, I'd also go for that. As much as we like Nene the player, he's still owed $40~ million for three more years, and almost certainly isn't going to keep up this superstar level of play long-term.
McGully Culkin
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#102 » by McGully Culkin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:I would trade Vesely and Singleton or Vesely and Booker for Cousins.

Well, of course you would. I would trade a ham sandwich for prime Michael Jordan as well. Let's stipulate that we would all be more than happy to trade fringe players for Cousins. If EG pulls such a trade off, it would be a coup. But I seriously doubt he would come so cheap.

This debate would be much more interesting if people would declare exactly how much they'd be willing to sacrifice in order to acquire Cousins. I think the inclusion of Seraphin is absolutely necessary for Sacramento to even discuss it further, and I wouldn't have a problem with it. The real question is then, what incentive would you be willing to add in addition to Seraphin to convince Sacramento to pull the trigger?

The only players on this team I wouldn't trade are Beal, Wall, Nene, and Seraphin. Everyone else is up for grabs. The reason I include Nene in that bunch is because of his contract, as well as the fact that he isn't healthy, therefore his trade value is low.

But any combination of the other players, 2 or 3 of them. Kings are trying to get sold, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just asking for players on the cheap. We have that.

Just curious as to why Seraphin is off-limits?

I'd be willing to bet that he's one of the targets for Sacto (assuming they'd want to make a deal).

To answer Nate, I'd do something along the lines of any combo including Seraphin/Booker/Singleton/Ves/Ariza/Okafor + top-3 protected pick for Boogie.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#103 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:39 pm

I'd want at least top 7 protection on the pick and probably top 10. Basically, I'm not giving up the 2013 pick unless Cousins leads us to a massive transformation immediately.

My off limits list includes: Wall, Nene, 2013 pick (top 7 at least)

I'm on the fence about Beal. If we included him, there definitely wouldn't be any future 1sts involved and we wouldn't take on any long term salary.

They can have any and all of Seraphin, Crawford, Booker, Singleton, Vesely, Okafor and Ariza. I'd give up a future first but only if it has protection for several years.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#104 » by noworriesinmd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:50 pm

If we give up this years < 5th pick and last years 3rd for Cousins, I'm done with this team. Anyone suggesting we should do this obviously took the EG class for budding GMs.

Giving up Beal = STUPID
Giving up this year's first = STUPID.

I want Cousins bad, BUT for the RIGHT price. We have a position of strength.
Remember last year when it was rumored that NO would give up Ok and Ariz & their 10th. I'm tired of doing stupid moves.
McGully Culkin
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#105 » by McGully Culkin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:55 pm

From TAI:

Kings blogger Jonathan Santiago of Cowbell Kingdom emailed me this trade proposal:

Washington Wizards get: DeMarcus Cousins and Aaron Brooks
Sacramento Kings get: Gordon Hayward and Enes Kanter
Utah Jazz get: Bradley Beal and Jan Vesely

Before I could respond, Santiago followed up with this slightly tweaked trade:

Wizards get: DeMarcus Cousins, Travis Outlaw and Isaiah Thomas
Kings get: Gordon Hayward and Enes Kanter
Jazz get: Bradley Beal and Jan Vesely

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2012/12/do- ... more-26554
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#106 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Illuminaire wrote:I would not sacrifice Beal in a Cousins deal right now. Not when Cousins has a track record of reckless inefficiency on offense and is a known headcase.

Meanwhile, Beal is a 19 year old rookie. Before the season, Nate, you acknowledged that ultra-young rookie guards usually struggle. Beal has struggled. That's the norm, not the exception. We have no idea what his real value will be - especially if his shooting comes around (which his FT% indicates should happen).

To me, it seems far more likely that Beal will develop at this point than Cousins will, especially regarding Cousins' behavioral issues.

+1
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#107 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:57 pm

DCZards wrote:Beal + Seraphin are too much to give up for a headcase like Cousins. And I don't buy the argument that Wall is somehow going to be able to "control" Cousins when the Sac coaches and FO haven't been able to.

Plus I still have high hopes for Beal becoming a real impact player. :)

+1000000
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#108 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:01 pm

McGully Culkin wrote:From TAI:

Kings blogger Jonathan Santiago of Cowbell Kingdom emailed me this trade proposal:

Hmmm. I'd cut Sacramento out of that deal and make it straight up with Utah. Hayward is better than Beal. Kanter is better than Vesely.

My guess is that Utah would balk at this proposal.
RealGM

Post#109 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:02 pm

The Wizards should offer any two of Booker, Vesely, and Singleton; plus a 2014 first round pick, lottery-protected for Cousins. If teams like Boston offer better, so be it let them trade with the Kings.

Don't include Beal or Seraphin. I would also hold off on including Vesely because he's a glue guy who will find a role when Wall returns. Vesely is fine when other players are scoring and running the court. He's pretty unique at his height and his fault is he should have gone 26th, not 6th in the draft. Vesely just needs some confidence and to play SMALL FORWARD some. Eventually, he will become a Jeffries type who can play a lot of positions.

Cousins has had too many team suspensions to give up value for right now beyond the players/pick I listed above. Even that offer above is generous. I would put Vesely in there only reluctantly. Seraphin I would keep because of his POST DEFENSE and agility. Forget his bad play of late. Kevin is a keeper.
Bye bye Beal.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#110 » by Halcyon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:04 pm

I would flip out if we had to give up Beal without getting some wing player back. And my god we'd need to move somebody in the frontcourt, we would have Cousins, Okafor, Nene, Seraphin, Booker and Singleton.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#111 » by noworriesinmd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm not one of the trade gurus and I'm not one of the smartest people on board.

However, why would I give up last years 3rd pick for the 3rd pick a few years ago?
The Kings should take a penalty for drafting Cousins. Beal is too young to give up on this soon.
Personally I would not do it. I believe everyone and thing on this team is touchable except:
Wall, Beal, Nene (slightly), this year's 2013 pick.

My concern is that we give up Beal for a player that we MIGHT be able to control (Cousins). We are taking a chance, but the price mentioned is too high.

Also, Cousins has a say in this. He could make it clear that he won't sign with any other team if he really wants to play with Wall. Cousins can make this happen too. The choice should be mutual, he gets paid no matter what.

Plus I would put my fist through my new $5000 TV if we declined Beal for Harden, but took Beal for Cousins.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#112 » by gambitx777 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm

Here is the thing with Jan, if we can use him to get D.C. then i say sure. But, he has no trade value right now. He is already labeled as a bust. What we should do is commit to his development, send him to the D-league. It's there job to develop talent down there. He needs 20-40 minutes a night to get his game to an NBA level. He will never get that here with where his game is now, it's just not NBA ready. Send him down, he will get the minutes he needs and the teaching he requires. His game will grow and more importantly he will get his confidence up. that will lead to him either becoming useful to our team or playing his way in to some trade value. Meaning we might be able to use him to pick up a guy like D.C. But that's what we should have been doing from the start.

But, back on track.
we should not give up on Beal yet. A lot of NBA stars had bad rookie seasons. It just takes time for some players. I would not be to opposed to giving up Booker or Kevin. I mean Booker is hurt to often and Kevin is soft on the offensive end. He would rather fade away that take it to the basket.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#113 » by Zonkerbl » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:02 pm

If I'm Sacramento, I would want at least one player of equal value in return. Seraphin is not equal to Cousins. All we have is a draft pick and Beal. Value wise a trade of Beal for Cousins is a no brainer, but that leaves us with an incredibly crowded frontcourt. Logical thing after that trade would be to get a SG of equal value to Seraphin somewhere.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#114 » by Illuminaire » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Value wise, I disagree. Cousins is not (currently) a player who will help a team contend. Neither is Beal, but Bradley has the benefit of being a rookie on a terrible team. Cousins has no such excuses.

Cousins' game has glaring holes, and while correctable, they significantly reduce his value.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#115 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Wizards should offer any two of Booker, Vesely, and Singleton; plus a 2014 first round pick, lottery-protected for Cousins. If teams like Boston offer better, so be it let them trade with the Kings.

Don't include Beal or Seraphin. I would also hold off on including Vesely because he's a glue guy who will find a role when Wall returns. Vesely is fine when other players are scoring and running the court. He's pretty unique at his height and his fault is he should have gone 26th, not 6th in the draft. Vesely just needs some confidence and to play SMALL FORWARD some. Eventually, he will become a Jeffries type who can play a lot of positions.

Cousins has had too many team suspensions to give up value for right now beyond the players/pick I listed above. Even that offer above is generous. I would put Vesely in there only reluctantly. Seraphin I would keep because of his POST DEFENSE and agility. Forget his bad play of late. Kevin is a keeper.

If you're going to keep taking my material, you going to have have to start running credits on your posts. :lol:

I'm glad to see you more positive about the team though. :wink:
hands11
Banned User

Post#116 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 am

Halcyon wrote:

They are only going to keep one of Singleton and Booker. Thats if they don't get ride of both.

Since neither is playing right now, kind of hard to pick between the two. Booker has gone on some good runs but hasn't been able to stay healthy. Singleton has had good flashes but he just isn't getting any Randy love right now. Neither is essential. Right now. Booker has more game though.

While this team has been very injured this year, I do see a difference. They are not rushing anyone back. They didnt rush Nene. They clearly are not with Wall. Kevin was out. Returned and has stayed healthy.

I think that will be true of Wall and Trevor A as well. They are waiting for players to get their health right and then letting them return. I get the feeling we aren't going to see players return and then go right back out injured like we used to.
I would flip out if we had to give up Beal without getting some wing player back. And my god we'd need to move somebody in the frontcourt, we would have Cousins, Okafor, Nene, Seraphin, Booker and Singleton.
hands11
Banned User

Post#117 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:19 am

gambitx777 wrote:Here is the thing with Jan, if we can use him to get D.C. then i say sure. But, he has no trade value right now. He is already labeled as a bust. What we should do is commit to his development, send him to the D-league. It's there job to develop talent down there. He needs 20-40 minutes a night to get his game to an NBA level. He will never get that here with where his game is now, it's just not NBA ready. Send him down, he will get the minutes he needs and the teaching he requires. His game will grow and more importantly he will get his confidence up. that will lead to him either becoming useful to our team or playing his way in to some trade value. Meaning we might be able to use him to pick up a guy like D.C. But that's what we should have been doing from the start.

But, back on track.
we should not give up on Beal yet. A lot of NBA stars had bad rookie seasons. It just takes time for some players. I would not be to opposed to giving up Booker or Kevin. I mean Booker is hurt to often and Kevin is soft on the offensive end. He would rather fade away that take it to the basket.

I agree. Right now, trading Beal wouldn't be my first choice. They don't even need DC right now. What they need is an upgrade at starting SF and a pure shooter SG. I think this team has everything else covered for now if they are healthy.

Hopefully they wait for Wall to return before doing anything stupid.

Trade assets to get what they need. Next year #1 which should be able to bring back a lot since the Wiz currently have such a bad record, no many are going to believe they are going to make the playoffs next year which they would, one of Booker or Singleton, and the scrap pieces of Mack, Price and Martin.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#118 » by dangermouse » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:42 am

If Okafor, Singleton and a top 8 protected first OR Seraphin and we take back a bad contract, isn't enough for the Kings, then we should just say thanks but no thanks.

With those pieces, im sure there is a 3-Way in there somewhere that will work for everyone involved.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
RealGM

Post#119 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:55 am

hands11 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Wizards should offer any two of Booker, Vesely, and Singleton; plus a 2014 first round pick, lottery-protected for Cousins. If teams like Boston offer better, so be it let them trade with the Kings.

If you're going to keep taking my material, you going to have have to start running credits on your posts. :lol:

I'm glad to see you more positive about the team though. :wink:

Subliminal stuff, hands. I have been saying and seeing things differently. I am not intentionally saying what you said. I must have had Kevin is a keeper on a level where i don't remember reading it.

My opinion is lining up with yours on a lot, lately. I have been saying half full and remembering your post with that phrase.
Bye bye Beal.
dandrews
Junior
And1: 4

Post#120 » by dandrews » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:50 am

I have no problem giving up Seraphin in a deal if we can keep Booker (or vice versa). Either one is a good big man coming off the bench behind Nene. Both of them are redundant and unnecessary with Cousins.

If they could somehow swing a deal with Crawford involved, the Kings trying to share a ball between him, Evans, Brooks, and Thornton becomes must watch television.

I'd say the only untouchables here are Wall, Beal, and this years 1st rounder (along w/ an unprotected 2014 pick). Everybody else should be on the table.

Return to Washington Wizards