RGIII Has Torn ACL and LCL

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Re: RGIII Has Torn ACL and LCL 

Post#61 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:09 pm

Higga wrote:STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III: "Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season. The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career."

More here, I guess:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... geon-says/
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#62 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:13 pm

I just hate when imitation doctors on a message board think they know what they're talking about.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#63 » by AFM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:31 pm

I know. This board is depressing to say the least. Lots of doom and gloom.
According to this board, RGIII's career is over and Beal was a bust after his second game as a pro.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#64 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:35 pm

The angst about RGIII here is understandable, we are Wizards fans.

Re: The doctor statement, did anyone expect to hear anything different?

I agree about not repeating avoidable mistakes, start Cousins next-year.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#65 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:43 pm

I love when doctors say "the surgery was successful."

I have never, EVER heard a doctor say "dammit, I totally blew the surgery. Sorry."
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#66 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm reading that they did a repair on the the LCL not a graft. That takes out the worse case scenario. Apparently that's what makes the 6-8 month timetable realistic if not certain. So again, not the absolute best news but not the worst either.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#67 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:16 pm

AFM wrote:According to this board, RGIII's career is over and Beal was a bust after his second game as a pro.

At least we still have Strasburg...maybe...:pray:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#68 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:31 pm

Induveca wrote:
Soup's Uncle wrote:He will not be back by opening day. Everyone needs to read the article jon Keim posted on Twitter:
[url][http://washingtonexaminer.com/what-rg3-faces-in-recovery/article/2518024#.UO2uesUz_1U/url]

Excellent read, and accurate. Sadly I think the kid's career is over as a starter. He's not playing next year, and his quick first step is not coming back.

We all saw how quickly speed/explosiveness is taken away with Arenas after multiple surgeries.

He's a QB...not a wide receiver.

Even if he loses a step he still has a gun.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#69 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:46 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Induveca wrote:
Soup's Uncle wrote:He will not be back by opening day. Everyone needs to read the article jon Keim posted on Twitter:
[url][http://washingtonexaminer.com/what-rg3-faces-in-recovery/article/2518024#.UO2uesUz_1U/url]

Excellent read, and accurate. Sadly I think the kid's career is over as a starter. He's not playing next year, and his quick first step is not coming back.

We all saw how quickly speed/explosiveness is taken away with Arenas after multiple surgeries.

Exactly. And by all accounts if he rehabs correctly (and he did so during he previous time at Baylor) he can comeback at least close to 100%.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#70 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:59 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Induveca wrote:Excellent read, and accurate. Sadly I think the kid's career is over as a starter. He's not playing next year, and his quick first step is not coming back.

Exactly. And by all accounts if he rehabs correctly (and he did so during he previous time at Baylor) he can comeback at least close to 100%.

If there are no setbacks. Someone on ESPN said 2 thirds of players who have similar operations do not make it back at all. I assume the science has improved quite a bit over the years, so that 2 thirds is a bit misleading for RG3's case, but it's far from a sure thing that he comes back even close to 100%. Considering this is his 2nd major knee operation, I'd assume that any setback is more likely to happen and more likely to be devestating.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#71 » by Dat2U » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am

I suspect after taking a risk and seeing it blow up in their face the Redskins will be very cautious in Griffin' rehab. And it does help that at least Griffin has the experience in rehabbing his knee before.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#72 » by Nivek » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:11 am

Not knowing where that stat came from, it's difficult to judge its validity. The two-thirds don't make it back may include guys who were marginal players to start with. The Skins have had a few of those. I think a WR -- Espy? -- was one a few years ago. A borderline guy blows out his knee, the team just gives him an injury settlement and finds another borderline guy.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#73 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 am

AFM wrote:Thanks, Higga. Most places are reporting a 6-8 month recovery. Even if that's optimistic, I don't see his "career as a starter as over" like Indu does.

The important thing from the article for me was regarding it being the second injury and what happens when that happens.

I expect a longer rehab as they pointed out. Two ligaments takes longer and the 2x time also takes longer. I expect he will start again and play every effective eventually.

But it sounds pretty clear that the damage will shorten the life of the knee. What does that translate to ? Who knows. Depends in how long he was going to last anyway. But lots can happen. He wasn't going to be a 15 year running QB anyway. Eventually you have to transition your game. As he slows down, the skins will need to adjust with the proper type of lineman. Kid has a strong accurate arm. He isn't just a one trick pony.

Its January. No way he is ready for the season. Actually, I could easily see how he missing next year.

Looks like we may well get a good look at Cousins. Good thing we drafted two QBs after all.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#74 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Posted an update from the latest WaPo article over on the Skins board.

Return to Washington Wizards