Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 2.0 

Post#1661 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm

^^

Not sure where the "but" comes in short of how they start the year.

I think its less likely they will start the year with Otto starting. But he can get there after 10-15 games.

But even with PP starting, they can pull him early if they want and get Otto in there.

These are the fine line details that will get worked out.

Either way. Otto is going to get plenty of minutes. I suspect min 24. Max 32

But hey, starting Otto to start the year would be a big statement to him if they did it. I'm just not sure they would take the risk. It he doesn't measure up, that just add pressure and exposes him. Why not let Paul carry that and let Otto impress from the bench and find his grove. Keep in mind. As much as he has looked good in preseason, he still missed all of last year and have very little real NBA game experience. They can get him that off the bench. Then look to start him. One step at a time. Let him settle in first again weaker competition and grow his game.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1662 » by Higga » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:43 pm

I think by mid season we'll be actively screaming for Porter to get more minutes.

Yes I am high on him.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1663 » by FAH1223 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:16 pm

hands11 wrote:http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/10/14/6973735/john-wall-xavier-silas-nba-wizards-2014

Wall getting dissed again

Sam Smith is a legendary sportswriter that now posts on the Chicago Bulls' website. He also ranked the NBA's best backcourts yesterday on Bulls.com and felt Wall and Beal were the eight-best backcourt in the League. Yes, eight. Here's why:

"Wall still really doesn’t have an NBA game. Yes, he is very fast and can get to the basket, but his shot is balky and he still has trouble finding shooters in good position or knowing when to shoot or pass. They’d move up if Wall gains a better understanding of playing point guard."

His shot is questionable, yes.

But not knowing when to pass or shoot? WTF :lol: Clearly doesn't watch Bullets games.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,016

Post#1664 » by dckingsfan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Congrats on moving up to #18
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#1665 » by dlts20 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:13 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeF9NBHr2q0[/youtube]
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1666 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I wished they played the full defensive sequence at the 4 minute mark. The speed Wall had get from the post player to the weak side was incredible. On top of that he recovered and closed out on Melo to pick his pocket.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,016

Post#1667 » by dckingsfan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 pm

I liked that he dominated a weaker opponent - I think that would qualify as an upgrade over last year.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1668 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KaiForbath/status/524931268107337729[/tweet]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#1669 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:49 am

FAH1223 wrote:
hands11 wrote:http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/10/14/6973735/john-wall-xavier-silas-nba-wizards-2014

Sam Smith is a legendary sportswriter that now posts on the Chicago Bulls' website. He also ranked the NBA's best backcourts yesterday on Bulls.com and felt Wall and Beal were the eight-best backcourt in the League. Yes, eight. Here's why:

"Wall still really doesn’t have an NBA game. Yes, he is very fast and can get to the basket, but his shot is balky and he still has trouble finding shooters in good position or knowing when to shoot or pass. They’d move up if Wall gains a better understanding of playing point guard."

But not knowing when to pass or shoot? WTF :lol: Clearly doesn't watch Bullets games.

If anything I think a big flaw in Wall's game is that he doesn't look to score enough, sometimes he's too unselfish. It kind of reminds me of what people used to say about Arenas (of course its not a perfect comparison), dude always had two, or at near, 20 ppg players around him and they still said he was a ball hog.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1670 » by Higga » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:38 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

If anything I think a big flaw in Wall's game is that he doesn't look to score enough, sometimes he's too unselfish. It kind of reminds me of what people used to say about Arenas (of course its not a perfect comparison), dude always had two, or at near, 20 ppg players around him and they still said he was a ball hog.

Yeah, how many times did he pass up open shots last year?

If you're wide open, shoot it. We saw what happened Game 5 in Indiana. He CAN shoot, he just needs to shoot with confidence.

Wall will be a stud though, so I'm not worried about him at all. I think he'll even get some fringe MVP votes this year. #homer
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1671 » by Severn Hoos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:12 pm

I was a bit surprised (pleasantly so) to see Wall come in #18 in the ESPN rankings . Not that they really mean anything, but it was good to see him get the recognition. I understand that it is a projection of what the "experts" believe the players will do in the coming year, rather than an evaluation of past accomplishments. Still, I hope he meets - and even exceeds - those expectations.

The other interesting thing, if I am reading it correctly, is that of the 10 remaining players - the Top 10 in the NBA - 4 teams have two each. While it's not the Miami Big 3 of the past 4 years, that's a pretty significant concentration of top-end talent. I guess the target demo for the NBA thinks this is a good thing, but for fans of actual teams (rather than players), this pretty much leaves the rest of the league out in the cold.

The silver lining is that the champs - who many predict to repeat - have no top 10 players, according to this ranking. Here's to a Spurs-Wiz Finals this year! :nod:
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#1672 » by TGW » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:47 pm

CCJ might have a heart attack seeing those ESPN rankings. Wall ahead of Cousins... :laugh:
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1673 » by jangles86 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Lillard is not a better player then Wall. Walls defense put him past Lillard and Irving.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#1674 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:35 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH4bWjtTiUw&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1675 » by Wizardspride » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 pm

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/10/3 ... inal-recap

1. John Wall is good at basketball

After an up-and-down outing against the Miami Heat, Wall bounced back hard against the Orlando Magic. Wall finished the game with 30 points, 12 assists, five rebounds, two steals and two turnovers. Wall took nine trips to the free throw line and came away with eight points.

Wall has dished out 23 assists in his last two games and is shooting 48 percent from the field. It's a small sample, obviously, but those are things you can really get excited about early.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#1676 » by dobrojim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:42 pm

This being an appreciation thread - I appreciate what JW said after the game last night.
He wants to W in the opener after 'losing every home playoff game' to which he must have been
referring only to IND and not to CHI who they won 1 home game against.

I just hope he doesn't let himself or the team get too uptight about it.
Seems like last year they were more nervous at home than on the road.
Relax and play your game (easier said than done perhaps).

Last year's home playoff record was very disappointing though. I'm glad
he's disappointed and eager to redeem himself. We got your back John.
Play smart and play hard. Good things will happen.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1677 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:43 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsRZ-WqMXYM[/youtube]

My favorite play in that game is how he reads the PnR at 3:18. Normally, Wall has some predictable tendencies in PnR situations but the fact that he reacted quickly to the defensive rotation, was awesome to see. Something we've all been calling for.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#1678 » by dlts20 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsRZ-WqMXYM[/youtube]

My favorite play in that game is how he reads the PnR at 3:18. Normally, Wall has some predictable tendencies in PnR situations but the fact that he reacted quickly to the defensive rotation, was awesome to see. Something we've all been calling for.

That was my favorite play too. What was also great about that play and the very next play is watching Pierce. He's not involved in either play yet he does a fist pump both times. Really supporting guys and just happy for the team to win. You can also tell out their that Wall really looks up to him and is still a bit in awe. He gets excited every single time he feeds PP with an assist, especially on the corner 3 like he use to do Ariza. I like our team chemistry and how guys are happy to play together
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1679 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 pm

Anyone buy JW's shoes? They look sweet, and 10 years ago, I def would have bought them.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1680 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

I think the problem with Wall's game is NOT that he doesn't shoot enough jumpers. It's that he settles for 18 to 20 foot jumper rather than penetrating to the basket. He's one of the best in the game at penetrating - with a legit great combo of strength, length, and athleticisim. Do the thing you're really good at a lot more. The thing you're really good at isn't shooting 18 to 20 foot jumpers.

I understand that penetrating takes more wear and tear on the body, so maybe you pick your spots, but come crunch time in a close game you need to do what's best for the team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards