Otto Porter

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Otto Porter 

Post#1901 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:44 am

DCZards wrote:
hands11 wrote:But to blame it on Webster ? Dude has only gotten spot mins over the last 5 games and that only happen because Otto was wasn't getting it done. And like 3 Shaqing a fools over a short time period.

Now you can argue, Webster should never be in if you could put Otto in. That would have given Otto a few more minutes, but its not a core of the issue. Actually not even close.

Look at the game log. Otto has played a lot more then people might remember.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2594922/otto-porter-jr

65 games at a 18.1 min average.

Its not like he has been riding the pines all year. The bigger problem was him not having enough impact on the court over multiple games. And he was clanking 3s. No doubt the crap offense doesn't help.

There is a lot to blame on Randy. But its not like Otto hasn't gotten minutes.

Porter’s inconsistency this season doesn’t surprise me…nor does it really disappointment me. As you pointed out, he’s basically a redshirt freshman.

But what has made matters much worse is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason on Randy’s part as to when Porter will get minutes…or when he even gets off the bench at all. I don’t think it’s fair to expect consistent play out of Otto with that kind of inconsistency on the part of the coach.

Witt should be letting Porter play through his clanking of 3s, his Shaqing a fools and what you call his "not having enough impact on the court." Playing regularly is the only way the kid is going to learn and develop and get beyond his mental lapses and other mistakes. It’s not like Webster or Butler have been great options off the bench.

Heck, Otto made more 3s today than Webster has made in the past month.

----
hands11
Banned User

Post#1902 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:50 am

DCZards wrote:
hands11 wrote:But to blame it on Webster ? Dude has only gotten spot mins over the last 5 games and that only happen because Otto was wasn't getting it done. And like 3 Shaqing a fools over a short time period.

Now you can argue, Webster should never be in if you could put Otto in. That would have given Otto a few more minutes, but its not a core of the issue. Actually not even close.

Its not like he has been riding the pines all year. The bigger problem was him not having enough impact on the court over multiple games. And he was clanking 3s. No doubt the crap offense doesn't help.

Porter’s inconsistency this season doesn’t surprise me…nor does it really disappointment me. As you pointed out, he’s basically a redshirt freshman.

But what has made matters much worse is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason on Randy’s part as to when Porter will get minutes…or when he even gets off the bench at all. I don’t think it’s fair to expect consistent play out of Otto with that kind of inconsistency on the part of the coach.

Witt should be letting Porter play through his clanking of 3s, his Shaqing a fools and what you call his "not having enough impact on the court." Playing regularly is the only way the kid is going to learn and develop and get beyond his mental lapses and other mistakes. It’s not like Webster or Butler have been great options off the bench.

Heck, Otto made more 3s today than Webster has made in the past month.

All valid points. I was just reminding people Otto has played more then most might realize. I know it seemed like he played less to me until I looked it up.

Just sharing information.

Hopefully that last game is the start of him getting on a roll. The minutes are there to be taken. That's for sure.

As I said, they need all hands on deck. PP should get it going again eventually but I don't think he has it in him to do it game in and game out. That means they need at least two others they can lean on from Otto, Rasual and Webster.

I sure hope Otto can be someone they can count on. If not, they are in big trouble.

Honestly. At this point... knowing I want Randy gone.. I would rather Otto get big minutes in the playoffs even if it meant them not advancing as far vs them going a game or two farther and him not being a part of it.

This team isn't going to make it with Randy as the HC anyway. And the things they would have needed to install via the offense, its to late to get that rolling now. Its would be a miracle if they could.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1903 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:11 am

The Consiglieri wrote:I would point to bill belichek. This is also one of the reasons I hated the Jay Gruden hire, and loved Gibbs so much too. It's fairly straight forward, great coaches are flexible and adapt their strategic approach and tactics to the talent they have available. There are guys like Walsh, and Mourinho, and Lombardi, and Phil Jackson etc, guys with a system who've won everywhere they've coached. They've earned the right to be stubborn and because they typically stick around long term, or have the ability to quickly rearrange a roster (in soccer you can always loan out guys, or transfer them if they don't fit your system, you're rarely saddled with bad contracts in the way you would be in American sports), and as a result their "system" based approach works.

However, the very best coaches are those coaches that see what they have, and then build a system that fits the talent around them. Bellichek has run a defense first, running patriots team to super bowls, he created an offensive powerhouse in 2007, he created a brand new TE focal point attack in 2010-2012, and then built a more flex based attack in 2014, and flipped the script entirely in early october this past falls.

Think about Gibbs from 1981-1992, there were really three different redskins teams in those years, early on when his pass catching tools were weak, but he had a great offensive line, and elite veteran runner, he built the offense around them and the defensive ability to shut down opponents, when the secondary fell apart in 1983, but Monk was healthy again and Brown was at the peak of his powers, he built his attack around a flexibile 50/50 approach with plenty of passing and running, by '84-'85 the running game collapsed, and the teams performance slowly failed too, however mining the USFL for talent as it collapsed brought in an elite WR in Clark, and perhaps the best #3 in the league in Sanders, so by 1987, he'd put the running game on the back burner again, and asked Jay and Doug to throw the ball a lot more, but he switched again by 1989 when he acquired Riggs, and Byner to play a kind of reshuffled version of Riggins/Rogers, and Kelvin Bryant, utilizing the posse and the tailbacks in equal measure with a deep passing game to utilize Rypiens deep passing game.

Great coaches either have a system that flat out works, or have a fundamental ability to identify the strengths of their players, and create a system that fits that roster best.

The worst coaches are the guys who have their system, and stick to it, regardless of results, even when it doesn't utilize the roster's talent effectively. That's what we've got with regards to Wittman, and Gruden, and Trotz. It's common no doubt, but the great coaches produce results consistently either with their system, or show the flexibility of a Bellichek or Gibbs etc to win with any system.

I think the greatest problem with coaches today is ego: far too many believe in their system far more than in their scouting departments, and as a result, force system's on players that don't fit the rosters talent and skill base at all. Needless to say, that problem is present here today in spades, on all of our teams save the Nationals (not coincidentally, the best run organization, best roster, and most competitive side in D.C. alongside DC United).

Great walk down memory lane. And that one year with Rypiens who was not mobile... just like 7 or 11 sacks all year. That was amazing.

Back to your main point that ties into something I was just writing about. The added benefit of flexing the system to the players is that the players don't feel like fishes out of the water. They get to do what they know they can do. What they are confident in. What they enjoy.

These are the best basketball players. The best of the best. Even the ones we think suck. And most have played the game a while. They developed toward what they were either good at, enjoyed and worked for them. If I am a 3 pt shooter, maybe I have no handles. Don't take my 3 ball from me and ask me to handle the ball. Not saying we can't work on my handles and make them better. But let me do what I do. Or don't freakn pick me. Specially with a high pick. Put me in a position to succeed.

Thats what Gibbs did really well. They had Monk. They throw it to him 100 times on a down and out to the sidelines. That same play was run over and over. You couldn't stop it. Even when they know you were going to do it. Ricky was like lightening. They let him fly on the post. Clark was tough as nails and could run after the catch. They ran drags across the middle.

Coaches are Conductors. They arrange the music. They get everyone in sync. But trumpets are trumpets. Drums are Drums. Gotta knows whats what and when to use it.

Randy's Offense...in Music Form...LOL

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFQLw5_N2o[/youtube]
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1904 » by Kanyewest » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:35 am

That was a great game by Porter- it was encouraging for him but there were a couple things that went his favor (for instance being guarded by Pablo Prigioni). He actually earned respect from the officials and got to the line 7 times, and he hit 2 3 pointers.

Still, it does make sense why he found his way on the end of the bench. He committed several bonehead plays in a row- I believe he made 3 straight appearances in a row on Shaqtin a fool. He was shooting less than 30% from 3 entering the game- and I said in another post - he had only 2 points in his last 32 minutes. And even in Porter's last 3 games where he averaged over 20 minutes per game, Porter was shooting 30% from the field and 0% from 3.

Porter needed to be more aggressive out there like he was today- and he'll have a chance to keep his playing time. Still, I've seen the solid performance by a young Jarvis Hayes or Jan Vesley- so while Porter proved he had a good game today, he needs to do it more consistently. The Wizards go on to play the 76ers (who did play Cleveland close) and the New York Knicks so that could be a good opportunity for Porter to get some more playing time.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1905 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M697btQ449A[/youtube]
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Otto Porter 

Post#1906 » by Induveca » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M697btQ449A[/youtube]

I particularly enjoyed the 4 straight free throw portion of the video.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1907 » by keynote » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Porter is not a great catch and shoot player from 3 - yet. Why not play him in the high post alongside Gooden or Pierce at the 4?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 

Post#1908 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 pm

keynote wrote:Porter is not a great catch and shoot player from 3 - yet. Why not play him in the high post alongside Gooden or Pierce at the 4?

Yes - at crunch time play Porter and Pierce together - with Gortat. Nene's too beat up, at this point.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Re: 

Post#1909 » by DCZards » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:18 pm

keynote wrote:Porter is not a great catch and shoot player from 3 - yet. Why not play him in the high post alongside Gooden or Pierce at the 4?

Porter spent a lot of time in the high post as a Hoya. It was when he was often at his best. Otto's passing from the high post was exceptional and he would regularly knock down that short jumper from around the free throw line when left open. I could see it working out well for the Zards.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1910 » by jivelikenice » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm

A lot of the G'Town guys were good passers in college. J Green and Otto specifically have not had this skillset maximized by their teams.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1911 » by jivelikenice » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 pm

The key to Otto is knocking down jumpers. He was doing a lot of small things well prior to getting benched again but his shot really fell off. He needs to be decisive and ready to shoot when the chances are there....
hands11
Banned User

Post#1912 » by hands11 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 pm

And in time, Otto will be doing what Brewer was doing as well.

Looking forward to Otto off the dribble.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Re: Otto Porter 

Post#1913 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Dat2U wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
But there's something that can happen with a young player... they can get better. It's a concept Wittman doesn't understand.

I would never play Webster over anybody. I just don't get the love for Otto. He shows no inclination that he wants to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket. He's still very thin and at least Tashaun Prince can consistently make jumpers. Not giving up just not impressed that he's more than 15 minute per game role player.

If Otto did a whole bunch of dribbling he'd probably piss the coaching staff off because that's not what he's being asked to do. They want him to stand on the wing and be a spot up shooter. Not sure why you'd draft someone with the 3rd pick if that was their intent but sometimes I wonder does any one in the coaching staff or front office actually pays attention to player's strengths and weaknesses and how their actually being used.

I'm confident had we drafted Noel we'd be questioning his development too. I'm not even sure Noel doesn't get stuck behind Seraphin in the rotation due to the coaching staff overvaluing Seraphin's post game.

That is precisely what is wrong with the coaching staff. They don't appreciate and differentiate individual players and their skill sets.

This staff tries to jam round pegs into square holes. There is a system and the players damn well better conform to it or like Dejuan Blair they will never play.

Also, there is a pecking order of starters or preferred players independent of matchups. Nene and Gortat got killed vs the Pacers, even after the Hawks almost eliminated the Pacers by spreading them out.

The one word I think that best describes the coaching staff is inflexible.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Re: Otto Porter 

Post#1914 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 pm

hands11 wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:Valid point, I'm sure the drafting has been wretched as expected, but what might have happened to Seraphin, Beal, or Porter, if they'd been drafted by San Antonio, or Golden State, or Houston, or OKC etc? Like the Snyder-Redskins, this organization has an awful stench of incompetence about it, and it's very hard to root out that kind of issue effectively. It's also one of the reasons why I always felt guys like Aaron Rodgers, who inexplicably fall on draft day, should often be happy. Being drafted by a quality organization sets you up for a great 2nd, and 3rd contract, being drafted by a bad organization can derail your entire career, or set you up for a bad second contract based on poor performance early on.

Porter, like Beal, is not playing his way to a nice second contract, and how much of that is on the organization, and how much is on the player is very much open to interpretation. I'm hard pressed to imagine there were many situations that could have been worse for Porter to end up in unfortunately. Didn't think that at the time, but I also didn't realize what we do w/regards to Webster, or the veterans only hack coach we'd go all in with.

DAT and You are on point.

Does anyone pay attention to what these players actually do well when they draft them ? That should apply to everyone Randy has coached.

But to blame it on Webster ? Dude has only gotten spot mins over the last 5 games and that only happen because Otto was wasn't getting it done. And like 3 Shaqing a fools over a short time period.

Opposite of what the players do well is what does the team sorely lack.

Do the Wizards know how slow and lacking in explosive finishing players they are?
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1915 » by Higga » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:53 pm

We just suck at player development. Always have. Porter on a team like the Hawks or Warriors is probably a solid contributor.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#1916 » by dckingsfan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

Still counting on the breakout next season

Code: Select all

Season   Age    WS/48   VORP   ORtg   DRtg
2013-14   20   -0.006   -0.4    86    107
2014-15   21    0.090    0.4   104    104
2015-16   22    0.174    1.4   122    101
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1917 » by Higga » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:19 pm

Porter played well last night. Yeah I know only Philly, but he should continue to get a lot more burn. At worst we need to see what we have in him going into next year because Pierce looks completely done.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1918 » by queridiculo » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:24 pm

Porter has played mostly well when he's gotten an opportunity to play. With Webster being the next option Porter earning DNPs is an absolute travesty.

Imho the Wizards will need Porter if they want to have a prayer at advancing to round two.

If Wittman was smart he'd shelve Pierce for the remainder of the season and gave Porter all the minutes he can handle.

The same goes for Nene. Sit him down, and let Humphries get back in a rhythm.

Would like to see nothing more than to shut up those cocky Bulls fans yet again.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1919 » by DCZards » Thu Apr 2, 2015 4:17 pm

queridiculo wrote:Porter has played mostly well when he's gotten an opportunity to play. With Webster being the next option Porter earning DNPs is an absolute travesty.

Imho the Wizards will need Porter if they want to have a prayer at advancing to round two.

If Wittman was smart he'd shelve Pierce for the remainder of the season and gave Porter all the minutes he can handle.

Would like to see nothing more than to shut up those cocky Bulls fans yet again.

If the Zards are locked into the 5th spot, as they appear to be, I'm all for resting Pierce and Nene. I'd also rest Wall, Beal or Marcin for some games... or limit them to 20-25 minutes a game.

It's a shame that the Zards are now forced to essentially give Porter a crash course here at the end of the season. It would have made much more sense to give the kid steady minutes throughout the season and live with the consequences of his up-and-down play...instead of jerking him around from game to game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1920 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 2, 2015 4:22 pm

queridiculo wrote:Porter has played mostly well when he's gotten an opportunity to play. With Webster being the next option Porter earning DNPs is an absolute travesty.

This.

The next 8 games are a perfect opportunity to get Porter a ton of pressure-free minutes against teams mailing it in. It should help build his confidence. Meanwhile, Pierce and Nene can rest and get their bodies right. Bring Pierce back in for the last 2 games of the season so they can start to get their rhythm back.

Return to Washington Wizards