ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards agree to terms with Eric Maynor

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Re: Wizards agree to terms with Eric Maynor 

Post#321 » by jivelikenice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:29 am

What can you do now? Realistically this could force your hands into cutting Singleton and signing another pg. id also start deactivating him with the hope that enough DNPs forces him to opt out. Wishful thinking!
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#322 » by verbal8 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm

jivelikenice wrote:What can you do now? Realistically this could force your hands into cutting Singleton and signing another pg. id also start deactivating him with the hope that enough DNPs forces him to opt out. Wishful thinking!

I think there is little to no chance of him opting out. Maybe a small chance of him taking a buy out next season, but that is about it.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#323 » by pcbothwel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:26 pm

And a 22y/o Darius Morris was just let go..damn

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ida01.html
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,537

Post#324 » by closg00 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:44 pm

miller31time wrote:I'm legitimately curious to pick the brain of Ernie Grunfeld.

What made him choose Maynor?
What did Maynor do to make him think he could play professional basketball?
What did Maynor do to make him think we had to lock him up for 2 YEARS?
When did Maynor do this mystical/theoretical impressive play?
Why would he sign him to more than the veteran's minimum?
Why would he sign him on the first day of free agency?

I must know the answers to these questions!

Look at Grunfeld's history, he is impatient and he panics.

I have used this quote often, it applies to his FA signings also.

Grunfeld added that it wasn't necessary to wait and see which player fell to the team at No. 5. "We knew who was going to be at the five spot and we felt that these players were going to help us a lot more than anybody we would've gotten in the draft," Grunfeld said. "A lot of times what happens, when you wait on situations, the other team might get better offers along the way. Then the trade might go away. We felt good about this."
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#325 » by jivelikenice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:53 pm

verbal8 wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:What can you do now? Realistically this could force your hands into cutting Singleton and signing another pg. id also start deactivating him with the hope that enough DNPs forces him to opt out. Wishful thinking!

I think there is little to no chance of him opting out. Maybe a small chance of him taking a buy out next season, but that is about it.

Agree. For him to opt out you'd have to mkae him miserable, but in al likelihood his agent would try to workout a buyout instead.

At this point though I think the team should immediately cut Singleton and pick up Morris.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,980

Post#326 » by DCZards » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 pm

TGW wrote:
DCZards wrote:
rockymac52 wrote: That's the only upside I've found though so far. And even then, while it'd be nice if Maynor is capable of playing alongside Wall, that doesn't solve our issue of a real backup PG to run the offense for those 12 MPG or so that Wall's on the bench.

I expect Maynor to be very capable of being that backup PG who can run the offense when Wall is on the bench.

Well Msynor hasn't met your expectations, I'm sure. Dude is pretty useless.

You are absolutely right, TGW, Maynor has not even met my modest expectations.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,537

Post#327 » by closg00 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 1:44 pm

*Bump* Just to recall the collective wisdom of the board. Wiz RealGm board > Ernie Grunfeld.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#328 » by tontoz » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:53 pm

Looking through this thread i am a little surprised how much support there was for this move. Obviously certain posters support every move EG makes so you can't take the seriously.

But obviously a lot of us could see this signing for what it was.

TGW wrote:Pointless signing. This does nothing to improve the team, and Price had a higher PER than Maynor last season. AT BEST, this is a lateral move, and a typical Ernie Grunfeld signing.

Dat2U wrote:I hate to be the one to say it, because I seem to always say it, but terrible signing.

The guy is simply not very good. No other way to put it. We've officially downgraded from A.J. Price. :nonono:

Upper Decker wrote:I'm going on record, I hate the signing. I think Maynor's trash. He's the Chris Singleton of NBA PG's. AJ Price is a better option.

sfam wrote:Exactly. The MLE or some serious trades should be contemplated for backup PG. I certainly wish Eric Maynor to do well, but this is pretty uninspiring.

miller31time wrote:
Agreed. We have the money to sign a better player, so why this guy? Hell, AJ Price (who actually knows the system) seems like a better option.

I don't get it.

rockymac52 wrote:I hate to be this pessimistic and negative about a backup PG signing, but I really do not like this signing. I think AJ Price was, is, and will continue to be better than Eric Maynor. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure we could have signed AJ Price on a 1 year deal for less money.

Jay81 wrote:Awful awful move. Why do we constantly sign terrible free agents

FAH1223 wrote:If Wall gets injured, atleast we will be bad again and can enter the tank wars

closg00 wrote:
+1 Very typical Grunfeld signing. Rather than seeing if Nate Wolters might be the next Steve Nash, he signs someone coming off an injury. Ernie loves those guys for some reason. Just hope he's better than Price.

Ed Wood wrote:Evenin'. The pessimist in me wants to clarify that (speaking for myself) the disappointment that accompanies a move like this isn't a matter of believing that it torpedoed the team's future prospects or that an alternative could have elevated them, it's that these things so often seem to amount to the team making moves that don't have any real chance of making a difference nor demonstrating any apparent interest or flair in maximizing its return in marginal situations like this one.

I'm sure this isn't totally fair but the moves and the players that seem to annually fill out the roster makes me feel that the team adopts that same "back up point, does it matter all that much what we have there?" mentality and the result is players who make it very clear it doesn't.

Not every move has to dazzle, but I don't want the team to feel that way. Frankly, when Hilton Armstrong and Darius Songaila are players you slot into your rotation you have failed to convince me that you don't just not give a ****.

tontoz wrote:

After the draft the biggest need on the roster was a quality backup for Wall. EG addresses this need with Eric Maynor on the 1st day of free agency while other much better options are unsigned.

Scrubs like Maynor can be signed a month or more down the road. What is the hurry to sign him now?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#329 » by mohammed10 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 3:56 pm

tontoz wrote:Looking through this thread i am a little surprised how much support there was for this move. Obviously certain posters support every move EG makes so you can't take the seriously.

TGW wrote:Pointless signing. This does nothing to improve the team, and Price had a higher PER than Maynor last season. AT BEST, this is a lateral move, and a typical Ernie Grunfeld signing.

Dat2U wrote:I hate to be the one to say it, because I seem to always say it, but terrible signing.

The guy is simply not very good. No other way to put it. We've officially downgraded from A.J. Price. :nonono:

Upper Decker wrote:I'm going on record, I hate the signing. I think Maynor's trash. He's the Chris Singleton of NBA PG's. AJ Price is a better option.

sfam wrote:Exactly. The MLE or some serious trades should be contemplated for backup PG. I certainly wish Eric Maynor to do well, but this is pretty uninspiring.

miller31time wrote:
Agreed. We have the money to sign a better player, so why this guy? Hell, AJ Price (who actually knows the system) seems like a better option.

I don't get it.

rockymac52 wrote:I hate to be this pessimistic and negative about a backup PG signing, but I really do not like this signing. I think AJ Price was, is, and will continue to be better than Eric Maynor. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure we could have signed AJ Price on a 1 year deal for less money.

FAH1223 wrote:If Wall gets injured, atleast we will be bad again and can enter the tank wars

closg00 wrote:
+1 Very typical Grunfeld signing. Rather than seeing if Nate Wolters might be the next Steve Nash, he signs someone coming off an injury. Ernie loves those guys for some reason. Just hope he's better than Price.

Ed Wood wrote:Evenin'. The pessimist in me wants to clarify that (speaking for myself) the disappointment that accompanies a move like this isn't a matter of believing that it torpedoed the team's future prospects or that an alternative could have elevated them, it's that these things so often seem to amount to the team making moves that don't have any real chance of making a difference nor demonstrating any apparent interest or flair in maximizing its return in marginal situations like this one.

I'm sure this isn't totally fair but the moves and the players that seem to annually fill out the roster makes me feel that the team adopts that same "back up point, does it matter all that much what we have there?" mentality and the result is players who make it very clear it doesn't.

Not every move has to dazzle, but I don't want the team to feel that way. Frankly, when Hilton Armstrong and Darius Songaila are players you slot into your rotation you have failed to convince me that you don't just not give a ****.

tontoz wrote:

After the draft the biggest need on the roster was a quality backup for Wall. EG addresses this need with Eric Maynor on the 1st day of free agency while other much better options are unsigned.

Scrubs like Maynor can be signed a month or more down the road. What is the hurry to sign him now?

Woah...Jay (aka - Ji) nailed it

:lol:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#330 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:06 pm

tontoz wrote:Looking through this thread i am a little surprised how much support there was for this move. Obviously certain posters support every move EG makes so you can't take the seriously.

miller31time wrote:

I don't get it.

closg00 wrote:

tontoz wrote:

Adding mine from page 3-4 where these came from.

No Beno ? :dontknow:

Oh well, heres to pulling for Eric Maynor

and

Maybe he feels that after the Webster come back and Okafor recovering, he is on a roll with underated injured players.

But yeah, very EG move. Specially the 2nd year player option.

So was the Glen Rice signing.

Man loves to roll the dice on underdog players. Could have just drafted Pierre Jackson instead.

-- on the same page 4 you also missed CCJ responding to Nate..

Dat2U wrote:Now I wish we had gotten a PG in the 2nd round (Jackson or Wolters) so they could have potentially stolen the backup PG job from Maynor.

CCJ wrote: They did draft a PG, in fact, Nate Wolters. This signing wasn't necessary if not for the trade to get Rice, Jr. . -
hands11
Banned User

Post#331 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:41 pm

Almost none of the regulars poster liked this move... The only support or moderate support I found in the early pages was.

JWizmentality
Nice, dodged the Nate Robinson bullet.

Doclinkin
Alright. But for the ACL injury I liked the kid. Was pulling for him. I think my metaphysics thread liked him :clown:

80sballboy
Was going to be a very good backup and solid starter before ACL injury. Not sure about this move. Not a great long-range shooter before or after the knee injury. Though to correct myself, I see his numbers at Portland were pretty good. Being a fan of the CAA, (not A10), happy to see another conference guy on the Wizards.

truwizfan4evr
I think he can hold his own at the back up point guard spot a very decent signing.

WizBiz
I like this signing on a personal level, as I attended VCU the same time he did and watched his collegiate heroics firsthand. However, he has been shaky since he tore his ACL. Hopefully he can put his recent struggles behind him and become a nice contributor for the Wiz.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#332 » by JWizmentality » Sun Feb 9, 2014 4:59 pm

As much as I don't like Nate Robinson, I would gladly take him over Fart. I thought, guy can't possibly be that bad....oh how wrong I was.
hands11
Banned User

Post#333 » by hands11 » Sun Feb 9, 2014 5:22 pm

JWizmentality wrote:As much as I don't like Nate Robinson, I would gladly take him over Fart. I thought, guy can't possibly be that bad....oh how wrong I was.

I never thought Nate was giving any serious consideration to come here and besides, he is hurt. Out for the year with ... wait for it... an ACL injury.

The only real option I saw for the Wizards were:

Crawford: If they hadn't traded him they could have done what Boston did.
Price: They already tried that and wanted an upgrade - I called for the same most of the session
Mack: Again. See above

Darren Collison: Best option, but he wasn't coming here. Went to LAC for 1.9M with PO 2nd year.
Beno: I felt we had a legit chance to get him. That's who I wanted. He signed in NY for 1 yr 1.3M
Maynor: He could run an offense but man his floater game looked terrible. Also coming off ACL

Here are the NBA ref numbers.
http://bkref.com/tiny/FMZCn

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... beno-udrih

Spin: Udrih was reported to have requested a trade on Jan. 20, and there's a chance his recent absence could be related. Still, there isn't much reason to speculate at this point, as Raymond Felton has been healthy of late, making Udrih a non-option even if he returns to the lineup.

Looks like someone is going to get Beno. NY doesn't seem to want him.

Singleton for Beno ?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#334 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:14 am

Jay81 wrote:someone like andre miller might of been as cheap and a good mentor for John Wall

Ji in July!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
MarcoPolo
Rookie
And1: 183

Post#335 » by MarcoPolo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:37 am

Maynor yesterday vs Bucks
16 mins 0/4 FG 1rb 2as 3TO........................ and huge+/- of -29

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#336 » by mohammed10 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:04 am

MarcoPolo wrote:Maynor yesterday vs Bucks
16 mins 0/4 FG 1rb 2as 3TO........................ and huge+/- of -29

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:o

Epic
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#337 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:11 pm

The Sixers acquired him to tank. He is doing EXACTLY what he was brought in to do.

With us, he was fart. With them, he is a fine Camembert.
In Rizzo we trust
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#338 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:57 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:The Sixers acquired him to tank. He is doing EXACTLY what he was brought in to do.

With us, he was fart. With them, he is a fine Camembert.

The Sixers stopped even *pretending* to be trying to win basketball games.

They better watch out for Karma. When you tank so hard that it's shameful, you end up getting passed over in the lottery.

:nonono:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#339 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:09 pm

Ah yes. But will that change now that the Godfather is no longer calling the shots?
In Rizzo we trust
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#340 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Ah yes. But will that change now that the Godfather is no longer calling the shots?

If I see that little kid on stage representing Cleveland this upcoming draft, then I know something fishy will be afoot.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda

Return to Washington Wizards