Bradley Beal - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,952

Re: Bradley Beal - Part II 

Post#881 » by CobraCommander » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Congrats beal! Now turn it down and get some rest- we got big plans for you next year. We want 24-5-4-2&1.5

Why the heck would he turn it down!?! He's our best chance to start recruiting KD since Wall won't be there.

Also I doubt Beal will be on the final roster that goes to Spain. They're too loaded already. It's more about him getting the mini-camp practice experience and learning from the coaches.

Fair points (that you will see that I reluctantly agree with in my other post this morning- I'm on airplane wifi with nothing to do but read the board) but I'm still nervous about Beal and his legs. Those "freak" stress issues worry me- the fewer minutes he plays the happier I'll be--- till the season starts-
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#882 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

He'll likely just be participating in drills and some scrimmages. Don't think we have anything to worry about
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#883 » by Darko Miliminutes » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 pm

There's a chance he makes it. If he defends very well, at this camp, there's a real chance. This kinda ball requires shooters. Between him and Klay. Only edge Klay has is slight, and it's on D. Beal offers a bit more on offense.

Why in the world would anybody not want Beal playing with these guys? Playing with this team, and these top shelf talents, have been great for everyone that's played. I very much hope he can make the team! Coin-flip, if he can impress on D.
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#884 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:29 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... ng-7-30-14

Beal on the upcoming season and Paul Peirce choosing to play with him and John and what an honor it is

He throw out some props to Otto and Glen for a great summer camp. They need to keep up their confidence and bring it to the regular season.

Kevin Durant, Rose, Curry, Derozan, Plumlee, Lillard, Irving, Harden, Cousins.. comment on Wall and Beal.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... al-7-30-14

Sound like Wall and Beal are making friends and gaining respect.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#885 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:04 pm

nate33 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNxXe24o_SA[/youtube]
I love the dunk at 1:45. It really took me by surprise that he decided to throw it down on Pierce. Beal has sneaky athleticism.

And now they are teammates :D
hands11
Banned User

Post#886 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Do we have a good Rex / bad Rex thing going on here.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/8/21 ... s-analysis

The long two has been discussed here before and Bradly is clearly one of the players that needs to clean this up.

Love the SA reference they made. Good news is its seems like with better team offense, maturity and with SFs in PP and Otto that can dribble drive and two new post options, we should get more closer shots and more 3 balls.

Beal in year 2 is not a finished product. And while it has been said the offense was designed for the long two, Randy has replied to that question in the past saying he isn't telling them to take that shot over driving or the 3 ball.

The team has its work cut out but I like there chances to improve in this area because of maturity and roster chances.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#887 » by Hidden Eye » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm

hands11 wrote:Do we have a good Rex / bad Rex thing going on here.

This long two have been discussed here before and Bradly is clearly one of the players that needs to clean this up.

Love the SA reference they made. Good news is its seems like with better team offense, maturity and with SFs in PP and Otto that can dribble drive and two new post options, we should get more closer shots and more 3 balls.

Beal is year 2 is not a finished product. And while it has been said the offense was designed for the long two, Randy has replied to that question in the past saying he isn't telling them to take that shot over driving or the 3 ball.

The team has its work cut out but I like there chances to improve in this area because of maturity and roster chances.

If the Wizards ever get a second playmaker the shot distribution would be better but not sure if there is gonna be somebody to fill that role next season..
hands11
Banned User

Post#888 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Hidden Eye wrote:
hands11 wrote:Do we have a good Rex / bad Rex thing going on here.

This long two have been discussed here before and Bradly is clearly one of the players that needs to clean this up.

Beal is year 2 is not a finished product. And while it has been said the offense was designed for the long two, Randy has replied to that question in the past saying he isn't telling them to take that shot over driving or the 3 ball.

If the Wizards ever get a second playmaker the shot distribution would be better but not sure if there is gonna be somebody to fill that role next season..

I look forward to seeing how the extra ball handling changes the dynamics of the offense and forces defencse to adjust that hopefully opens things up for Wall to drive and Beal to catch and shoot more threes. Wall was forced to handle the ball way to much. Beal tried to help but he wasn't any kind of elite ball handler. And he was just a 2nd year player. I see Beal needing another two full years to develop into that Wade/Ray Allen combo would be his projected max peak.

Longer term, you really want an elite do it all type at SG/SF or SF or SF/PF or PF/C

Kevin fits into one of those categories... either SF/SG or SF/PF depending on how he continues to develop. Over the next two years, I hope he becomes an elite defender because thats the player you want if you are going to win a title. And if he doesn't come here, we either need to find that player or Beal or Otto will need to turn into it.

As is, this team need Beal and Otto to develop more then they need Wall to develop.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#889 » by dckingsfan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:57 am

I agree with most of this:
http://hoopshabit.com/2014/07/28/washin ... selection/

Although I would say that some of that has to do with how the offense was run.

But this doesn't go into the defensive end - and with Ariza gone, Beal has to step up and guard the best wing on the other team - that can't be PP.

It would be great if he could make the jump on both sides of the ball - but I think that is hoping for more than is possible unless he plays reduced minutes.
hands11
Banned User

Post#890 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:20 am

dckingsfan wrote:I agree with most of this:
http://hoopshabit.com/2014/07/28/washin ... selection/

Although I would say that some of that has to do with how the offense was run.

But this doesn't go into the defensive end - and with Ariza gone, Beal has to step up and guard the best wing on the other team - that can't be PP.

It would be great if he could make the jump on both sides of the ball - but I think that is hoping for more than is possible unless he plays reduced minutes.

Beal and Wall both need to step up their defense, but I don't think TA leaving falls on them. I think it falls more on PP, Otto and Glen. And personally, I think they will be up to the task.

When you look at this team via RPM ( real plus/minus) they have a really solid team.

Gortat is 4.12 is 3rd for centers.
Nene is 2.13 is 14th for PFs
PP 2.50 is 11th for SFs TA was 0.94
Wall 2.22 is 18th for PGs with defense being the thing holding him back at -0.44 DRPM
Miller 2.09 is 19th for PGs so he makes for a nice back up PG. Nice balance of offense and defense.
Beal -0.53 is 30th for SGs with -0.61 for ORPM. He needs to step up he offense and defense.

Hump is -1.68 with his offense holding him back. -2.32 ORPM vs 0.64 DRPM
Blair is -1.89 with his offense at -2.09 ORPM vs 0.20 DRPM
Gooden is -2.02 with his offense at -0.55 vs -1.47 DRPM

Trevor Booker was -3.34 with his offense -0.44 and his defense a not surprising -2.90
Chris Singleton was -3.35 with his offense -5.04 and his defense 1.69
So they upgraded the bench with Hump and Blair.

Having 3 player top 10 range for the starters is a good place to start but Wall and Beal need to step it up.

By comparisons, SAS had

Parker 13th and P Mills 8th
Manu Ginobili 1st and Danny Green 3rd
Kawhi Leonard 7th
Tim Duncan 3rd with Matt Bonner 13th and Boris Diaw 18th
Tiago Splitter 9th Jeff Ayres 32nd

By the same standard, you want to see a team that might surprise ? Work you way through the positions for GS. CHI is up there as well. If these number are a good predictor, look for DAL to make some noise. Their only weakness is PG but they looking great everywhere else.

If I didn't know better, I would swear SA uses RPM as a key stat. Every position is top 10 except Parker is 13th. And at SG they are 1st and 3rd. And Bonner is 13th with Diaw 18th. Even their depth ranks well.

If this team is going to make a leap, my concern isn't PP. He was a good replacement for TA. Where its going to have to come from is.. Wall, Beal and Otto mostly and from Glen some. And for me, I would beat on those players getting better. Specially with how Beal ended the season and how Otto looked is spot minutes to end the year and over the summer.

Wall and Beal have to get into the top 12 range. If they can do that, look out. For Otto, I would be happy with top 30 at SF.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#891 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Not sure RPM would be the best indicator for your argument. I won't try to explain why since it has already been written quite well here:

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2014/4/9/5 ... -minus-rpm
hands11
Banned User

Post#892 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:02 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Not sure RPM would be the best indicator for your argument. I won't try to explain why since it has already been written quite well here:

http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2014/4/9/5 ... -minus-rpm

Thanks for the post.

That is a good example of where it might report false numbers but that would seem more rare and applied to players with less minutes.

As the article states, Carlisle is a good coach who matches up the rotation properly. What he is doing is what I wanted to see Randy do earlier in the year. Instead of rotation to a junk 2nd unit, sprinkle them in with starters.

I would think that harder to be the case with a player playing starter minutes.

Plus is does break is down into ORPM and DRPM and most of Crowders value is coming on the DRPM side.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#893 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:23 pm

So, to consolidate your argument - to make a large jump.

1) Wall and Beal need to make large strides
2) Porter needs to make a big jump (and to some extent Rice)
3) PP is a fine replacement for TA (little or no drop-off)

I don't buy 3. I sure hope 1&2 happen - that is certainly the limiting factor for this team - developing our young players.
hands11
Banned User

Post#894 » by hands11 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 am

dckingsfan wrote:So, to consolidate your argument - to make a large jump.

1) Wall and Beal need to make large strides
2) Porter needs to make a big jump (and to some extent Rice)
3) PP is a fine replacement for TA (little or no drop-off)

I don't buy 3. I sure hope 1&2 happen - that is certainly the limiting factor for this team - developing our young players.

2) Porter needs to register the numbers that equal the skills I believe he already has.
3) The sum total of their additions will out perform what they lost. PP is a legit addition. He will get open 3 looks. He adds dribble drive, clutch shooting, leadership, pump fakes and fouls for FTAs.

The biggest improvement for the team needs to come from Beal starting the year like he ended it and Wall taking the next step in efficiency and defense. And bring back the drive that he did less last year. But doing it in a way that allows him to make it through the season.

I'm not worried about PP, Otto, Hump or D Blair and what they bring. I see that as a talent upgrade on its face. Specially when you add Glen R Jr as a strong body perimeter defender and driver.

Given all that. Its Beals year 3. And that is when good talented players usually make the leap.

He was interesting year 1
He was goodish year two but elite in the playoffs.
This year he need to be elite during the season. No longer a player that is getting there but a player that is there. If he can pull that off at 21, then look out.

Wall 23, Beal 21, Otto 21 has a great team of vets around them that should allow them to develop into elite players. Not vets that over power them, but vets that can contribute and support their development while entering the fight with them. Thats how a SAS does it. You grow great players. Duncan had D Rob. Parker was grown around get vets. And so they are doing Leonard.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#895 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:18 pm

Just came across this on youtube, Beal at the Goodman

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z30IOeKuh-Q[/youtube]

Not much to take from that little video, but it looks like he's been working on his postgame and handles
hands11
Banned User

Post#896 » by hands11 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 1:08 am

^^^

How does it compare with this stuff. Someone you know posted it on the general board.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BvUgBrXgCw[/youtube]
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#897 » by Dark Faze » Wed Sep 3, 2014 4:32 pm

Only thing I need to happen is for Porter to show out. If the Durant thing doesn't work out then consolidating the Pierce/Web/Nene contracts into a strong starting PF will be a decent plan B.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#898 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Sep 3, 2014 8:47 pm

hands11 wrote:^^^

How does it compare with this stuff. Someone you know posted it on the general board.

Like I said it's hard to compare with a random pickup game.

But one thing I know is that Beal got a lot better, skillwise, between his rookie and soph seasons. His stats weren't great because he took on a bigger role and received more defensive attention, but individually he was a clearly better player.

If he continues to follow that same trend, I expect him to showcase even better ballhandling ability next season, and a post game which he was starting to show in the playoffs. I also think his defense will be improved, we knew he was solid on that end already and there were positive reports from Team USA camp about his defense.
hands11
Banned User

Post#899 » by hands11 » Thu Sep 4, 2014 2:30 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
hands11 wrote:^^^

Like I said it's hard to compare with a random pickup game.

But one thing I know is that Beal got a lot better, skillwise, between his rookie and soph seasons. His stats weren't great because he took on a bigger role and received more defensive attention, but individually he was a clearly better player.

If he continues to follow that same trend, I expect him to showcase even better ballhandling ability next season, and a post game which he was starting to show in the playoffs. I also think his defense will be improved, we knew he was solid on that end already and there were positive reports from Team USA camp about his defense.

I wasn't busting your chops. More like giving you props.

It was a good video to see some of the ball handling moves he added. Working his man on direction and then going to other. He did get better though it was painful at time to watch. A highlight real shows the good stuff.

Really looking forward to seeing his game next year. Its only year 3. He is ony 21. He hasn't peaked yet. He has at least two more years of working on his base game just so we can see what he might look like longer term. Let pray he stays healthy.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#900 » by BruceO » Thu Sep 4, 2014 10:22 am

people should repeatedly ask him about the possibility of ray allen joining dc and the wizards having reached out to him. I know beal is a fan and wants to do the second movie. His reaction would be excitement and that might coax ray into coming if hes not scared of pierce.
don't think he'll add much but I want him to mentor beal for the year

Return to Washington Wizards