ImageImageImageImageImage

Verizon Center Crowd...NBA's Worst Sixth Man???

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Re: Verizon Center Crowd...NBA's Worst Sixth Man??? 

Post#181 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:51 pm

P'Oed wrote:Wish I wasn't on my phone so it'd make it easier to post the links, but expert Wiz reporter J Michael was reportedly on the radio blaming the fanbase for swinging and missing in free agency. He attributed the theory to a quote from John Wall. I tweeted at him essentially accusing him of kicking a fan base that hasn't had anything to cheer for for 40 years while they're down and his response was:

"ya those east semifinals teams gave no one anything to cheer for. nothing.."

:roll:

J. Michael is a world class prick. He's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the organization. I think he fails to realize who his audience is. The same people he's bashing. I could see this coming back to bite him in ass.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#182 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:52 pm

:lol: Stolen!
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#183 » by P'Oed » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:
P'Oed wrote:Wish I wasn't on my phone so it'd make it easier to post the links, but expert Wiz reporter J Michael was reportedly on the radio blaming the fanbase for swinging and missing in free agency. He attributed the theory to a quote from John Wall. I tweeted at him essentially accusing him of kicking a fan base that hasn't had anything to cheer for for 40 years while they're down and his response was:

"ya those east semifinals teams gave no one anything to cheer for. nothing.."

:roll:

J. Michael is a world class prick. He's nothing more than a mouthpiece for the organization. I think he fails to realize who his audience is. The same people he's bashing. I could see this coming back to bite him in ass.

It's so transparent and obvious he's their mouthpiece that it's laughable. An article like that about fans being a problem is one thing; the timing of it is another. You're really going to do this now? When the fanbase is already pissed? I hope he gets a lot of flack for it. He even brought up the whole "Free chicken sandwiches being the loudest part of a game" thing. F off.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#184 » by AFM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 pm

J Michael is such a loser. I call him and his sidekick idiot, whose name I haven't bothered to learn, Dumb and Dumber.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#185 » by montestewart » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:35 pm

What a cheap little clip joint canary, hiding behind a management shill to float his stupid theory of why the Wizards are a laughing stock, and hoping they can spin those two 2nd round appearances, in an historically weak Eastern conference, as justification for their "the future is now" premature ejaculation. So far this is pretty much playing out the way everyone but hands and millie predicted. It's like that movie where the architect predicts the tunnel will collapse and no one listens, then the tunnel collapses and they all blame the architect. Can't remember the name of the movie, so I maybe I just made it up. But the point stands!
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#186 » by AFM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:42 pm

How is it that people dump on Trump's appearance but no one has mentioned Terd's beta carotene spray tan?
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#188 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed Jul 6, 2016 1:57 am

Most fan bases are fickle. The problem is our fan base is too small. We simply don't have enough die hards and homers to drown out the casual fans who only show up for games as a social event.

The NBA has more frontrunner fans than any other league. It's going to be tough to grow our fanbase without becoming a frontrunner.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#189 » by montestewart » Wed Jul 6, 2016 2:52 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Most fan bases are fickle. The problem is our fan base is too small. We simply don't have enough die hards and homers to drown out the casual fans who only show up for games as a social event.

The NBA has more frontrunner fans than any other league. It's going to be tough to grow our fanbase without becoming a frontrunner.

Well, they tried to capitalize on that NBA title. Not sure what went wrong.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#190 » by BigA » Thu Jul 7, 2016 3:04 am

So, we've been over some of this ground about Washington having crappy fans and what it means a number of times. I'm trying to think through what the implications are and have a couple thoughts and questions:

Other places clearly have "better" fans that are more enthusiastic and supportive even when their team isn't that good (e.g. Toronto), but are DC fans uniquely crappy or even worse than average?

I only have personal knowledge of a few other places and examples, such as the Detroit Lions, where the continued fan support for a franchise that has been poorly run for over fifty years is pretty astonishing. Is that the standard that needs to be met for a fanbase to be considered good or excellent?

Is it an issue of all DC fans being crappy or just Wizards fans?

The Redskins have had some problems in recent years with season ticket holders selling their seats to opposing fans, but Redskins fans have also come back strong whenever they've been given half a reason to. The Caps have a strong core group of fans, and even with the annual playoff flameouts they have been able to grow their fan base. Likewise with the Nationals, they have built a solid fan base, and the attendance statistics bears that out (attendance is higher than the O's, with at a significantly higher average ticket price).

The Wizards started to build momentum during the Arenas years and again during the two seasons prior to this past one, and this momentum has stalled out when the progress of the team stalled out. Even at their worst attendance for the Wizards hasn't been noticeably lower than for other bad teams in comparable markets.

What is the responsibility of the team for crappy or alienated fans?

People cite the fact that people cheer for the Chick Fil A promotion more than the team, but this is a promotion that the team itself has run for a number of years. If they think it's embarrassing they could stop running it.

Also, from personal experience and from posts on this board, the team has really squeezed plan holders over the past few years to the point where it makes more sense to buy individual games from a value standpoint. Perhaps not the most loyalty-inspiring move.

With the Pollins, you had the feeling that you were dealing with a not-very-well run family business. With Ted, I have more of a feeling of being held upside down by my ankles and having the change shaken out of my pockets.

Another thing, Kief the Spleef headlined the Wizards Summer Fest that went on tonight. Is it my imagination, or do the Nats, Caps, and Skins have higher profile players attending these sorts of events?

So what? What difference does it make and what can be done?

Durant left a place that supposedly has pretty good fan support. Horford was at least willing to consider the Wizards, but how important was the fan support issue vs. other factors? It's not clear to me that the quality of the fans makes more than a marginal difference. Even if it did, what's the answer? Move to Baltimore?

I come back to the conclusion that the "crappy fan" explanation for the team's woes is just an excuse that the management and even some of the players use to evade responsibility. Sorry for the long, rambling post.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,971

Post#191 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:41 am

I expect it to be lit tomorrow
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#192 » by dlts20 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 am

Yeah and I don't get it. I understand it's the playoffs but it's literally a morgue in the regular season. Meanwhile Im in okc most of the time and it's like the playoffs every game compared to the Wiz. We usually show out for the playoffs though. Sucks because I wish I was back home to go. Tickets cost a million dollars more for a Thunder playoff game compared to the Wizeven though the cost of living is less
gravytrain24
Bench Warmer
And1: 312

Post#193 » by gravytrain24 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:45 am

Me and a friend got all-inclusive tickets for the game tomorrow night, so if things start to go bad early we can at least drink until the end of the 3rd quarter. The wiz will feed of the playoff crowd, it seems like they always do. How many home games has this edition of the wizards lost in the playoffs?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,976

Post#194 » by DCZards » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:08 am

dlts20 wrote:Yeah and I don't get it. I understand it's the playoffs but it's literally a morgue in the regular season. Meanwhile Im in okc most of the time and it's like the playoffs every game compared to the Wiz. We usually show out for the playoffs though. Sucks because I wish I was back home to go. Tickets cost a million dollars more for a Thunder playoff game compared to the Wizeven though the cost of living is less

Isn't it a little unfair to compare DC and OKC? OKC has no NHL hockey, no MLB baseball and no NFL football. So it makes sense that fans there would be passionate about the one pro team it has. Who else is there for pro sports fans in OKC to root for and spend money on.

I wouldn't call Cap One Arena "a morgue in the regular season." I went to around 35 games this season and I can assure you that there were many nights when the joint was jumpin'. I do agree that Zards fans are not loud and rowdy night in and night out like, say, the Philly and Boston fans.

Return to Washington Wizards