ImageImageImageImageImage

Grunfeld a Great GM. Proves Doubters Wrong

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Grunfeld a Great GM. Proves Doubters Wrong 

Post#621 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 3, 2014 2:22 am

hands11 wrote:...I'm not counting Ves out just yet. I'm giving it two more years to see....

Uh huh.... You think he'll be in the league 2 more years?

You think he'll take a veteran minimum salary next year when he can play in Europe, maybe in or near his home country, for more money?

Or maybe you think teams will be lined up to give him more than that because... why exactly?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#622 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 2:26 am

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:...I'm not counting Ves out just yet. I'm giving it two more years to see....

Uh huh.... You think he'll be in the league 2 more years?

You think he'll take a veteran minimum salary next year when he can play in Europe, maybe in or near his home country, for more money?

Or maybe you think teams will be lined up to give him more than that because... why exactly?

I think he wants to stay in the NBA. But for enough money, he will have to consider going back overseas.

I do think there will be teams that want to sign him in the NBA.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#623 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 3, 2014 2:32 am

milellie111 wrote:
dobrojim wrote:
Nivek wrote:I must be a really crappy fan of the Washington football team. I dislike the team name, and I've viewed the management as incompetent for the most of the last couple decades.

but at least you didn't jump ship and become a Plowboyz fan

ob EG factoid
3rd worst winning % during tenure
45 win peak season

Does that % take into account all of the unfortunate injuries to key players over the years, something that no GM has any control over? Just saying.

That's a 12 year time span. This isn't a case of well, they just had some unfortunate
injuries the last 12 years. 12 years. Seriously.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User

Post#624 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 3:55 am

12 years is not what Ted is looking at. Will Ted take this opportunity to change GMs ? Maybe
I doubt he is looking at 12 years over the time he and EG has worked together.
Besides, were is 12 coming from. He has been with the Wizards 10 seasons, hired in July 2003 that that the 2003 team to the 2013 team.

So is a web site that compares win and losses per GM against each other over time ?

What is his record of the team in 10 seasons ?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#625 » by montestewart » Thu Apr 3, 2014 4:17 am

hands11 wrote:12 years is not what Ted is looking at.

Will Ted take this opportunity to change GMs.. Maybe

But I doubt his focus is what EG does 4-8 years ago vs what he has done with Ted as owner.

So the 12 year talk is pretty pointless in regards to Ted resigning him or not.

So where is a good web site that compares win and loses per GM over time ?

From 2003-04 through 2009-10 season, the Wizard' winning percentage under EG was .420. From 2010-11 onward, Ernie is batting .364. Is that what Terd is looking at?
hands11
Banned User

Post#626 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 4:58 am

montestewart wrote:

But I doubt his focus is what EG does 4-8 years ago vs what he has done with Ted as owner.

From 2003-04 through 2009-10 season, the Wizard' winning percentage under EG was .420. From 2010-11 onward, Ernie is batting .364. Is that what Terd is looking at?

Well lets toss out 2003. He signed July 2003 the year after MJ was fired and the team was kind of a mess. How much you going to put on him to change things in 3 months. Even with MJ they only won 37 games. That first year they got 25 wins. The following year in 2004 the were 45 wins.

From 2004-05 through 2007-08 under EG they were .521
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#627 » by montestewart » Thu Apr 3, 2014 5:47 am

hands11 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Well lets toss out 2003. He signed July 2003 the year after MJ was fired and the team was kind of mess. How much you going to put on him to change things in 3 months. Even with MJ they only won 37 games. That first year they got 25 wins. The following year in 2004 the were 45 wins.

Well, he managed to sign Arenas in that time, although that might have been as attributable to Gilbert's flakiness as anything else. Still, if you take away that first year (which, incidentally, is only the 4th worst season under EG), his winning percentage under Pollin goes up a little. How does that improve how he looks under Terd?

Maybe a good playoff performance can distract me from this for a minute or two. Definitely better than not being in the playoffs. I couldn't take another year of 9th seed. Go Wiz!
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#628 » by Benjammin » Thu Apr 3, 2014 12:48 pm

Ten years, one f~ing playoff series win. How difficult is this?

Sent from my XT1080 using RealGM Forums mobile app
hands11
Banned User

Post#629 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 1:33 pm

montestewart wrote:
hands11 wrote:
montestewart wrote:From 2003-04 through 2009-10 season, the Wizard' winning percentage under EG was .420. From 2010-11 onward, Ernie is batting .364. Is that what Terd is looking at?

Well lets toss out 2003. He signed July 2003 the year after MJ was fired and the team was kind of mess. How much you going to put on him to change things in 3 months. Even with MJ they only won 37 games. That first year they got 25 wins. The following year in 2004 the were 45 wins.

Well, he managed to sign Arenas in that time, although that might have been as attributable to Gilbert's flakiness as anything else. Still, if you take away that first year (which, incidentally, is only the 4th worst season under EG), his winning percentage under Pollin goes up a little. How does that improve how he looks under Terd?

Maybe a good playoff performance can distract me from this for a minute or two. Definitely better than not being in the playoffs. I couldn't take another year of 9th seed. Go Wiz!

Yeah, the playoffs are going to hopefully be enjoyable.

And its fun watching them when they play like they did last night.

Wall came out looking awesome.
Gortat is a player that it's easy to cheer for. He really has brought something solid to this team.
Beal was quietly extremely efficient and wasn't forcing things.
TA starting raining 3's and cutting.
Booker was on and even hit one from range.

And we got a peek at our #3 pick and he looked pretty good.

Glad they are in the playoff and glad they did it playing the way they did last night. Thats reenforces the idea that playing that way is the way to play. Wall was setting everyone up early and going inside. He looked awesome. Then he mixed in his own scoring. Exactly what he should be doing.

And now Nene will be returning. And hell, Randy is even starting to call proper time time outs.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#630 » by Knighthonor » Thu Apr 3, 2014 2:51 pm

hands11 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Yeah, the playoffs are going to hopefully be enjoyable.

And its fun watching them when they play like they did last night.

Wall came out looking awesome.
Gortat is a player that it's easy to cheer for. He really has brought something solid to this team.
Beal was quietly extremely efficient and wasn't forcing things.
TA starting raining 3's and cutting.
Booker was on and even hit one from range.

And we got a peek at our #3 pick and he looked pretty good.

Glad they are in the playoff and glad they did it playing the way they did last night. Thats reenforces the idea that playing that way is the way to play. Wall was setting everyone up early and going inside. He looked awesome. Then he mixed in his own scoring. Exactly what he should be doing.

And now Nene will be returning. And hell, Randy is even starting to call proper time time outs.
I agree. I like miller as well. The Wizards have a bench people

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#631 » by dobrojim » Thu Apr 3, 2014 5:21 pm

Miller is really good in half court offense with a lot of his effectiveness coming
from when he posts up or backs his defender down. What he isn't so great at is
defending. We'll have to see how this nets out when the playoffs start. Will defenses
adapt to what he can do offensively better or worse than our defense will mask
his Jamison like ability to stay in front of his man. Miller's intangibles are nice.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#632 » by dckingsfan » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:05 pm

Benjammin wrote:Ten years, one f~ing playoff series win. How difficult is this?

More difficult to obfuscate. But don't underestimate the obfuscators :) - they are a very clever bunch!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#633 » by Kanyewest » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:26 pm

milellie111 wrote:Doubt if ANY team would fire it's GM after making the playoffs.

it happens. Blazers moved on from Kevin Pritchard after a 50 win season. The Nuggets let Masai walk.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#634 » by queridiculo » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:38 pm

This abortion of a thread needs to die already.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#635 » by Kanyewest » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:38 pm

New Orleans has 1. (4 different GMs)
New York has 1. (3 different GMs)
Philadelphia has 1. (5 different GMs)
Milwaulkee has 0. (2 different GMs)
Charlotte has 0. (3 different GMs)
Portland has 0 (7 different GMs)
Sacramento has 0. (2 different GMs)
Toronto has 0. (4 different GMs)
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#636 » by noworriesinmd » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:50 pm

Kanyewest wrote:

New Orleans has 1. (4 different GMs)
New York has 1. (3 different GMs)
Philadelphia has 1. (5 different GMs)
Milwaulkee has 0. (2 different GMs)
Charlotte has 0. (3 different GMs)
Portland has 0 (7 different GMs)
Sacramento has 0. (2 different GMs)
Toronto has 0. (4 different GMs)

Washington has 1 (1 top 26 GM)
hands11
Banned User

Post#637 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 9:04 pm

dobrojim wrote:Miller is really good in half court offense with a lot of his effectiveness coming
from when he posts up or backs his defender down. What he isn't so great at is
defending. We'll have to see how this nets out when the playoffs start. Will defenses
adapt to what he can do offensively better or worse than our defense will mask
his Jamison like ability to stay in front of his man. Miller's intangibles are nice.

Will other teams adjust to his post up game ? Kind of hard to do that when he can hit cutters like the can. And when you combine his solid build and the way he can work angles, keeping him from getting close to the basket tough. Plus that quick outlet pass for easy buckets is almost impossible to stop. And watch how he dribbles up court. He takes these short methodical step and moves at a pace just quick enough that he can kick in a burst at any moment. He can give you that start/stop and start again. Never moving fast but enough to leverage his body around you can once he has the angle, he is strong enough in his lower core to keep it. He just has vet smarts about how he is moving out there. Old man game you to death.

On defense ? Yeah he can he slow but he is also vet savvy. When he is about to foul, he commits to the foul. There is no touch foul about it. He takes some risks and if they work, he steals the ball and seriously bothers the player he is defending running time of the clock and delaying the offense. Not sure if he has a long reach or not, but it appears like he does.
hands11
Banned User

Post#638 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 9:06 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
milellie111 wrote:Doubt if ANY team would fire it's GM after making the playoffs.

it happens. Blazers moved on from Kevin Pritchard after a 50 win season. The Nuggets let Masai walk.

Six playoff teams coaches were replaced last offseason.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#639 » by montestewart » Fri Apr 4, 2014 2:03 am

hands11 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

Six playoff of team coachs were replaced last offseason.

But usually the teams that let a coach or GM walk even when the team is in the playoffs can claim some justification: the team took a step back or appears to be flatlining, or maybe there is some internal discord going on. The Wizards are on the ascent, and even though some feel that the ascent may be fleeting and they could flatline or even (worst case scenario) nosedive, it's the ascent they are trying to sell.

For fans who have had to live through all this crap, that's not a hard sell, even if you have to suspend a little logic, Canning EG or Witt in the middle of that would seem to undermine that message a little, although a bold owner would probably make that move and sell it if he could get better. Just how did Leonsis rocket so high in the rankings anyway?
hands11
Banned User

Post#640 » by hands11 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 3:59 am

montestewart wrote:
hands11 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

Six playoff of team coachs were replaced last offseason.

But usually the teams that let a coach or GM walk even when the team is in the playoffs can claim some justification: the team took a step back or appears to be flatlining, or maybe there is some internal discord going on. The Wizards are on the ascent, and even though some feel that the ascent may be fleeting and they could flatline or even (worst case scenario) nosedive, it's the ascent they are trying to sell.

For fans who have had to live through all this crap, that's not a hard sell, even if you have to suspend a little logic, Canning EG or Witt in the middle of that would seem to undermine that message a little, although a bold owner would probably make that move and sell it if he could get better. Just how did Leonsis rocket so high in the rankings anyway?

Don't read me posting a fact as me saying they won't resign Randy and or EG.

I was just saying what happened last year.

But your take on it from a business stand point is true. Is it easier to sell fans on Randy and the team making progress vs a new coach ? Maybe. Maybe not. They would depend on who that new coach is.

I have posted this link several times. Here it is again.
http://isportsweb.com/2013/06/13/head-coach-please/

When you read this article, it amazing.

Denver Nuggets- (57-25) (2nd in the Northwest)- George Karl was named the NBA Coach of the Year in 2013, only to find himself looking for a job less than a month later.

Los Angeles Clippers-56-26 (1st in the Pacific)- Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro had to deal with in Los Angeles. Del Negro led the Clippers to the best season in the franchise’s 43-year history. The Clippers notched a franchise-record 17-game winning streak, including a perfect 16–0 mark in December. They won a franchise-record 56 games, their first 50-win season ever, as well as their first Pacific Division title. The title was clinched after defeating the Lakers on April 7, which also completed a season sweep of their crosstown rivals, 4–0.

Memphis Grizzlies- 56-26 (2nd in the Southwest)- Having the best record in franchise history, taking the team to three straight playoff appearances, and a trip to the 2012-2013 Western Conference Finals

Return to Washington Wizards