ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
64%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
24%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003 AND WASHINGTON HAS THE THIRD WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE IN THAT SPAN)
12%

Total votes: 89

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2) 

Post#1261 » by dckingsfan » Tue Feb 3, 2015 2:53 pm

Millie must be posting again :)
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1262 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:45 am

Horrible system
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1263 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:56 am

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld getting fired?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvtFqbeyD4[/youtube]
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2) 

Post#1264 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:43 am

Enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1265 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:04 pm

Definitely a tough stretch, no doubt about it. Clearly the backcourt needs help. Very interested to see what Ernie can do at the deadline with some decent sized expirings (Miller, Seraphin).
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1266 » by tontoz » Fri Feb 6, 2015 4:43 pm

Two 1st round picks in 2011 arent in the NBA now. Eric Maynor isn't in the NBA but is still getting paid thanks to EG. Webster was paid the full MLE even though we already had Ariza/Porter and had needs elsewhere.

Not surprising that our bench is lame.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#1267 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sat Feb 7, 2015 8:32 pm

From an outsiders perspective, I can see what EG is going for. This is his third contending team he's built. He knows, like Phil Jackson always said, "You win with men". It looks like he's built the team with two VERY dynamic backcourt mates and has done his best to surround them with tough veterans, especially up front. Everyone squanders picks. The draft is a crap shoot. All in all, the team is stronger now than when he took over and somewhat flexible for the future.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: 

Post#1268 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 7, 2015 8:52 pm

wesleybullsfan wrote:From an outsiders perspective, I can see what EG is going for. This is his third contending team he's built. He knows, like Phil Jackson always said, "You win with men". It looks like he's built the team with two VERY dynamic backcourt mates and has done his best to surround them with tough veterans, especially up front. Everyone squanders picks. The draft is a crap shoot. All in all, the team is stronger now than when he took over and somewhat flexible for the future.

Good stuff. Visit anytime! :D
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1269 » by dckingsfan » Sun Feb 8, 2015 10:19 pm

closg00 wrote:Enough!!

Cosign this powerful post!
closg00
RealGM

Post#1270 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:03 pm

But what do the Wizards need, exactly? Point guard John Wall, the franchise cornerstone, offered his take Tuesday.

“I think somebody, another guy that can create off the bench,” Wall said. “A guy that can create and put the ball on the floor and make plays for others.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... ster-spot/

Guys on a message board have been saying the same thing for the last 2-3 years. The only reason for not having this^ type of player on the team, is the incompetence of the General Manager.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1271 » by Dat2U » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 pm

closg00 wrote:
But what do the Wizards need, exactly? Point guard John Wall, the franchise cornerstone, offered his take Tuesday.

“I think somebody, another guy that can create off the bench,” Wall said. “A guy that can create and put the ball on the floor and make plays for others.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... ster-spot/

Guys on a message board have been saying the same thing for the last 2-3 years. The only reason for not having this^ type of player on the team, is the incompetence of the General Manager.

The best offensive teams have a 2nd ballhandler that can run with the starting unit. However Flip's (er Witt's) offense is PG centric offense where the PG is the sole dominant ball-handler and the SG/SFs are interchangable spot up shooters so they're would have to be some adjustments/tweels made to allow for a 2nd ballhandler. I'm not so certain Witt is willing to make those adjustments.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Re: 

Post#1272 » by payitforward » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:26 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
wesleybullsfan wrote:From an outsiders perspective, I can see what EG is going for. This is his third contending team he's built. He knows, like Phil Jackson always said, "You win with men". It looks like he's built the team with two VERY dynamic backcourt mates and has done his best to surround them with tough veterans, especially up front. Everyone squanders picks. The draft is a crap shoot. All in all, the team is stronger now than when he took over and somewhat flexible for the future.

Visit any time, sure. Good stuff? Not really.

"I can see what EG is going for." -- Anyone can see what he's going for. Who cares? Why don't you tell me what he's achieved.

"You win with men." -- I.e. "tough veterans." Great, but there's a little problem: what have we won? Nothing. What are we likely to win while we have those "tough veterans" (all on short-term contracts)? Nothing.

"dynamic backcourt" -- yes, he lucked into a #1 pick and lost into a #3 picks. He got 2 good guys with those picks.

"Everyone squanders picks. The draft is a crap shoot." -- Umm... didn't you just laud him for his 2 great draft picks (our dynamic backcourt)? But, if it's "a crap shoot" then he just got lucky, right? Or else, if those were smart picks and he gets credit for them, why then he has to take responsibility for ALL his picks (and for throwing away picks too). Right?

Oh, and can you name one GM who ever got less out of more draft assets than Ernie got in 2011?

"The team is stronger now than when he took over..." -- Ernie has been here for 12 years, and the best you can say for him is that? How good has the team ever been w/ him as GM? What's our very very best results in that loooong stretch of work?

Answer: our best has not been all that good. And we haven't achieved that "best" level very often either.

IOW, the "good stuff" of your post is right up there with "the good stuff" of Ernie's tenure as GM.

Still, as I've also written many times, Ernie has managed to get us to where we are respectable. We even won a playoff round (in his dozen years we've done that twice -- wow!).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#1273 » by WesleyExChiFan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 am

payitforward wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Visit any time, sure. Good stuff? Not really.

"I can see what EG is going for." -- Anyone can see what he's going for. Who cares? Why don't you tell me what he's achieved.

"You win with men." -- I.e. "tough veterans." Great, but there's a little problem: what have we won? Nothing. What are we likely to win while we have those "tough veterans" (all on short-term contracts)? Nothing.

"dynamic backcourt" -- yes, he lucked into a #1 pick and lost into a #3 picks. He got 2 good guys with those picks.

"Everyone squanders picks. The draft is a crap shoot." -- Umm... didn't you just laud him for his 2 great draft picks (our dynamic backcourt)? But, if it's "a crap shoot" then he just got lucky, right? Or else, if those were smart picks and he gets credit for them, why then he has to take responsibility for ALL his picks (and for throwing away picks too). Right?

Oh, and can you name one GM who ever got less out of more draft assets than Ernie got in 2011?

"The team is stronger now than when he took over..." -- Ernie has been here for 12 years, and the best you can say for him is that? How good has the team ever been w/ him as GM? What's our very very best results in that loooong stretch of work?

Answer: our best has not been all that good. And we haven't achieved that "best" level very often either.

IOW, the "good stuff" of your post is right up there with "the good stuff" of Ernie's tenure as GM.

Still, as I've also written many times, Ernie has managed to get us to where we are respectable. We even won a playoff round (in his dozen years we've done that twice -- wow!).

Duncan
Lebron
Lebron
Dirk
Kobe
Kobe
Garnett
Duncan
Wade
Duncan
Pistons
Kobe

Over the last 12 years, the above players have been the lynchpins of their teams. We can get into semantics about who was Finals MVP or who was "really" the most important player, but the fact remains, out of the those years, since Grunfeld got hired, 11 out of the 12 championship teams have had a top 10 (arguably) all time player on their roster. Kobe, Duncan, Dirk and Wade were all drafted by their teams. Garnett and Lebron came in the off-seasons. Unless Grunfeld had missed out on a historic talent in the draft, then I'd say he's done an okay job. Wiz are positioned as well as they can be to get the next historic player (Durant). Until then, you're putting a respectable, competitive team on the floor. It's not David Kahn running the show over there. It COULD be worse.

Also, Grunfeld didn't injure Arenas, who could have been very special. That was a big setback for the organization. Chicago is dealing with a similar issue now and the future is very uncertain.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1274 » by dckingsfan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:01 am

wesleybullsfan wrote:It COULD be worse.

By far the best and most comprehensive statement about Checkers on this board.

I cosign this most powerful post :)
closg00
RealGM

Post#1275 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Post#1485 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:16 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... -Of-Season

Suns-Sign-Leandro-Barbosa-For-Remainder-Of-Season

Well done EG. Well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Add him to the list of players we had that could have helped that we don't have for no good reason.

I've been following Barbosa, he's been pretty solid for GSW
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3731/gamelog/
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1276 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:39 pm

closg00 wrote:
Post#1485 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:16 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... -Of-Season

Suns-Sign-Leandro-Barbosa-For-Remainder-Of-Season

Well done EG. Well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Add him to the list of players we had that could have helped that we don't have for no good reason.

I've been following Barbosa, he's been pretty solid for GSW
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3731/gamelog/

In my last PPA update (another one coming today or tomorrow), Barbosa had an 82. Pretty solid for a reserve.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1277 » by closg00 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:42 am

*Bump* For equal time. On EG constructed teams, only the coach gets fired while he remains coated in teflon.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1278 » by AFM » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:45 am

Teflon Grundle. Sounds good.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1279 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:06 am

The 'Stache hole
In Rizzo we trust
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,893

Post#1280 » by TGW » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:11 am

LyricalRico wrote:Definitely a tough stretch, no doubt about it. Clearly the backcourt needs help. Very interested to see what Ernie can do at the deadline with some decent sized expirings (Miller, Seraphin).

Yes, the addition of superstar point guard Ramon Sessions is indeed, interesting. And not in a good way. More in the "wtf is Ernie smoking" way.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards