Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXVII 

Post#1921 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 10:09 pm

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Leuer plays for the Grizzlies; he's been a tremendous bargain, is under contract, and I can't imagine they're looking to trade him.

But you bring up something interesting re: Houston. I don't know who you're thinking of on the Rockets -- but Greg Smith is an unrestricted FA, I believe, and (unless he's injured...?) he would be a fantastic guy to pick up.

Smith is a year+ younger than Seraphin, about the same size, and a waaaay better player. His workout videos on DR showed him to be a very talented player, and he put up very good numbers for Houston (making me wonder why he's unrestricted now). He went undrafted in 2011, and I had my fingers crossed we'd pick him up after the draft (but... no such luck, alas).

This is the kind of guy that we'll blink twice and see him on the Spurs roster next year! I'd rather have him here.

Well, as I said, we have trade acceptations, Jon does not get much playing time there. He could very well be traded for some cash or future considerations, seeing that they have stokes now.

As for Huston, Donatas Motiejunas fell out of favor in the playoff's and it's at the very least possible that we could pull him away if they are trying to dump cap room.

TBH, I'd be more interested in Smith! :) Still... those are pretty good ideas. Motiejunas especially.

edit -- I mean Leuer especially....

I agree on Leuer. Although, has a lot of promise and could be a good piece. Best case, we could grab both of them! but, that's just a dream.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#1922 » by gesa2 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 10:40 pm

I think the Rockets cut Smith, and he was picked up by the Bulls

Sent from my HTC One using RealGM Forums mobile app
(edited to remove cell phone fat finger mistakes)
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1923 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jul 6, 2014 12:46 am

gesa2 wrote:I think the Rockets cut Smith, and he was picked up by the Bulls

Yep, looks like he's got a contract with Chicago for the upcoming season and will be FA next summer.

But his deal is small enough that we can absorb him with one of our TPE's if the Bulls needed to dump him to maximize cap space.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1924 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 6, 2014 2:05 am

LyricalRico wrote:

Yep, looks like he's got a contract with Chicago for the upcoming season and will be FA next summer.

But his deal is small enough that we can absorb him with one of our TPE's if the Bulls needed to dump him to maximize cap space.

Even after amnestying Boozer, they still have enough problems that they will need a bunch of cheap players to fill out the roster. Greg Smith is both good and also very cheap. Hard to see him as leaving any time this season.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1925 » by verbal8 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 2:39 am

LyricalRico wrote:

He is on a vet minimum salary, so the most they can save in cap space dealing him is 500K. Also they can trade him to any team. I expect if they did really need that 500K in cap room, they would offer him for 2nd rounder.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1926 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 6, 2014 12:37 pm

verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

He is on a vet minimum salary, so the most they can save in cap space dealing him is 500K. Also they can trade him to any team. I expect if they did really need that 500K in cap room, they would offer him for 2nd rounder.

I'd trade a R2 pick for him, but I can't see it happening. They need to have a bunch of inexpensive players just to get to the league minimum roster. Trading him makes that harder not easier.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1927 » by verbal8 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 1:27 pm

payitforward wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

I'd trade a R2 pick for him, but I can't see it happening. They need to have a bunch of inexpensive players just to get to the league minimum roster. Trading him makes that harder not easier.

I agree it rarely make sense to dump minimum salary players to free up cap space, especially one as promising as Greg Smith. I honestly think if it came down to it, the free agent would probably prefer slightly less salary and a decent player in the rotation. If they wanted to be really slick, they could buy him out for $100K to $200K and then resign him after they signed the big free agent. However they run the risk(especially in this free agent market) of him signing elsewhere.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1928 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jul 6, 2014 2:28 pm

verbal8 wrote: If they wanted to be really slick, they could buy him out for $100K to $200K and then resign him after they signed the big free agent. However they run the risk(especially in this free agent market) of him signing elsewhere.

Nah, he wouldn't clear waivers for them to resign him.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#1929 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:16 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:I personally would like a sign and trade of Ariza for Jamal Crawford and a pick. Crawford is old but is the scoring punch we need off the bench.

Now that's an interesting idea. The problem would be that LAC already lost Collison, so they'd have no backup guards after that deal.

Maybe expand it to Ariza+Miller for Crawford+Dudley?

That would be a great deal for us. Miller is just what they need off the bench and Ariza would start for them.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1930 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:25 am

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:I personally would like a sign and trade of Ariza for Jamal Crawford and a pick. Crawford is old but is the scoring punch we need off the bench.

Now that's an interesting idea. The problem would be that LAC already lost Collison, so they'd have no backup guards after that deal.

That would be a great deal for us. Miller is just what they need off the bench and Ariza would start for them.

Good deal, but who then would back up Wall? Miller's maybe Wall's best backup since he got here.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1931 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:30 am

montestewart wrote:
TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Good deal, but who then would back up Wall? Miller's maybe Wall's best backup since he got here.

LAC just signed Farmar, so at this point it would just be Ariza S&T for Crawford+Dudley. That let's us keep Miller, but doesn't fill as many needs for the Clippers.

Depends on how badly LAC wants to upgrade at SF. I'm guessing not enough to part with Crawford. Unless we found them another backup SG.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1932 » by montestewart » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:57 am

LyricalRico wrote:LAC just signed Farmar, so at this point it would just be Ariza S&T for Crawford+Dudley. That let's us keep Miller, but doesn't fill as many needs for the Clippers.

Depends on how badly LAC wants to upgrade at SF. I'm guessing not enough to part with Crawford. Unless we found them another backup SG.

Temple? GRJ could go, but I was kind of hoping to see if he could develop here.

I don't see Miller here after next year (maybe not anywhere). I hope future PG depth is a priority. A Hinrich-like combo guard and spot starter would be nice. I remember people here (including me) hoping they might sign Dragic for MLE-type money. Ha!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#1933 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 7, 2014 4:27 am

I think we need rice if we let Ariza go, Plus with web out we really need rice. I don't think they are letting go of Crawford, and imo dudley is not worth it.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1934 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jul 7, 2014 2:41 pm

The Cavaliers need to unload more contracts and have made 2013 first-round pick Sergey Karasev, among others, available in deals, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-lebron ... 39828.html

We could absorb him with our larger TPE to compete for minutes behind Beal. I'd at least offer a couple 2nds.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#1935 » by TGW » Mon Jul 7, 2014 2:50 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
The Cavaliers need to unload more contracts and have made 2013 first-round pick Sergey Karasev, among others, available in deals, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-lebron ... 39828.html

We could absorb him with our larger TPE to compete for minutes behind Beal. I'd at least offer a couple 2nds.

He's terrible. Rather give Burton a chance.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1936 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jul 7, 2014 6:28 pm

nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Someone asked in one of these threads about Wiz TPE's. Looks like we have two:

$1.25M (expires 10/27/14)
$2M (expires 2/20/15)

http://data.shamsports.com/content/page ... washington

FWIW, TPE's can't be combined and they can't be added to a player as outgoing salary. Basically, we can only use them to trade for guys on really small contracts (vet minimum contracts, for the most part). They're too small to be all that useful. The best case scenario is that a team needs to shave an extra million of salary in order to make a deal work out, and they send a minimum salary vet to us (plus cash to pay his salary) in exchange for our TPE.

Does the player have to make less than 2M, or does it work the same as normal trades for non tax teams (I.E. 150%)?
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1937 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Jul 7, 2014 7:35 pm

If LeBron really does go back to Cleveland, any interest in an Ariza-for-Thompson S&T? I'm not crazy about Thompson, but he is a young big who could still have room for development.

It seems LeBron is tired of having to be the do-everything defender as well as having to carry the entire offensive load. If he's willing to be primarily a PF / combo Forward, the Cavs might look pretty scary with a lineup of Irving / Wiggins / Ariza / James / Varejao with Waiters, Bennet, and Zeller on the bench.

Ariza for Thompson balances our roster better, and does the same for the Cavs, assuming they want to wait out Bennett, since there wouldn't be enough minutes at PF for Thompson AND Bennett, with LeBron taking many of those minutes for himself.

I hate the idea of helping to give LeBron a new dynasty, but if the trade helps the Wiz I think you have to consider it.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1938 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jul 7, 2014 7:45 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:If LeBron really does go back to Cleveland, any interest in an Ariza-for-Thompson S&T? I'm not crazy about Thompson, but he is a young big who could still have room for development.

It seems LeBron is tired of having to be the do-everything defender as well as having to carry the entire offensive load. If he's willing to be primarily a PF / combo Forward, the Cavs might look pretty scary with a lineup of Irving / Wiggins / Ariza / James / Varejao with Waiters, Bennet, and Zeller on the bench.

Ariza for Thompson balances our roster better, and does the same for the Cavs, assuming they want to wait out Bennett, since there wouldn't be enough minutes at PF for Thompson AND Bennett, with LeBron taking many of those minutes for himself.

I hate the idea of helping to give LeBron a new dynasty, but if the trade helps the Wiz I think you have to consider it.

Based on their cap situation, it would actually have to be more than Thompson by my calculations. They're already having to dump Jack just to be able to sign LeBron, so to also pay Ariza what he wants, it would have to be a S&T for Thompson plus something else.

Maybe we add Waiters? Heck, I'd take Thompson+Waiters+Jack+pick, and then flip Jack to BKN for Thornton's expring while also shopping Waiters for another pick. Essentially getting multiple picks in return for Ariza would soften the blow of facilitating Ariza getting to Cleveland IMO.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1939 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Jul 7, 2014 7:55 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Severn Hoos wrote:If LeBron really does go back to Cleveland, any interest in an Ariza-for-Thompson S&T? I'm not crazy about Thompson, but he is a young big who could still have room for development.

Based on their cap situation, it would actually have to be more than Thompson by my calculations. They're already having to dump Jack just to be able to sign LeBron, so to also pay Ariza what he wants, it would have to be a S&T for Thompson plus something else.

Maybe we add Waiters? Heck, I'd take Thompson+Waiters+Jack+pick, and then flip Jack to BKN for Thornton's expring while also shopping Waiters for another pick. Essentially getting multiple picks in return for Ariza would soften the blow of facilitating Ariza getting to Cleveland IMO.

Yeah, I figured it would have to be more than just Thompson to match the salary Ariza would be looking for, but if they do the LeBron deal first (assuming they dump Jack), then they'd be over the cap and it could be a straight S&T for Ariza, where they don't need to clear cap space, just have the salaries line up. In that case, adding just enough to get to the 150% rule would probably do it.

I did think about proposing Thompson + Waiters, but figured that would be too much for the Cavs to give up (although if LeBron specifically said he wanted Ariza on the team...), plus I'm not a huge fan of Waiters either. I think those two guys - Thompson and Waiters - were pretty significant misses for the #4 pick in the draft, but that's another thread.

If we went all in like you're describing, then yes I could see it working out, especially if it means another pick. After all, those picks might be what it takes to make a trade work down the road (like Love).
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#1940 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 7, 2014 10:10 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Someone asked in one of these threads about Wiz TPE's. Looks like we have two:

$1.25M (expires 10/27/14)
$2M (expires 2/20/15)

http://data.shamsports.com/content/page ... washington

FWIW, TPE's can't be combined and they can't be added to a player as outgoing salary. Basically, we can only use them to trade for guys on really small contracts (vet minimum contracts, for the most part). They're too small to be all that useful. The best case scenario is that a team needs to shave an extra million of salary in order to make a deal work out, and they send a minimum salary vet to us (plus cash to pay his salary) in exchange for our TPE.

Does the player have to make less than 2M, or does it work the same as normal trades for non tax teams (I.E. 150%)?

No. The 150% rule can't be applied to TPE's.

Return to Washington Wizards