ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards - A good or bad Free Agent Destination?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Is Washington a good place to play pro hoops?

Yes! It's the DMV
44%
No! It's Ted and Ernie's fault
56%

Total votes: 16

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Re: Wizards - A good or bad Free Agent Destination? 

Post#61 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:32 pm

verbal8 wrote:A poor play-offs and Bosh leaving would be a blow to the Heat, but I think they have enough assets to be able to recover and remain a contender. Why would LeBron leave that? Especially if the rumored big name destinations - New York, Lakers, Cavs are in terrible shape.

Cleveland? Cleveland is only a "big-name destination" because Lebron played there previously and there are rumors he might return. But, in reality, wherever Lebron goes if he leaves Miami will immediately become a big name destination.

Is there any doubt that Lebron recognizes that the city of Washington, DC has far more prestige and glamour than Cleveland.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#62 » by Upper Decker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Drew Gooden signed here so obviously DC is a destination. He even think's Washington is a championship contender...

Drew Gooden:
To be honest, it seems it’s only a handful of teams that seem like they want to win a championship...and the Washington Wizards is one that wants to win. I think that’s why they added me for depth, going into the playoffs.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#63 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:54 pm

DCZards wrote:
verbal8 wrote:A poor play-offs and Bosh leaving would be a blow to the Heat, but I think they have enough assets to be able to recover and remain a contender. Why would LeBron leave that? Especially if the rumored big name destinations - New York, Lakers, Cavs are in terrible shape.

Cleveland? Cleveland is only a "big-name destination" because Lebron played there previously and there are rumors he might return. But, in reality, wherever Lebron goes if he leaves Miami will immediately become a big name destination.

Is there any doubt that Lebron recognizes that the city of Washington, DC has far more prestige and glamour than Cleveland.

I guess I should have just stuck with rumored if I was including Cleveland :)
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#64 » by Upper Decker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 pm

I think there are several tiers for free agency destinations (all things "$$" being equal):

1) Premier destinations:
LA Lakers, NY Knicks, Miami, Houston

2) A great place, a great life, strong team environment:
GSW, Phoenix, LA Clippers, Dallas, Chicago, Brooklyn, Orlando, Portland

3) Location's not the greatest, but the team is a winner/strong organization:
Indiana, OKC, San Antonio, Denver, Boston, Memphis

4) Not the best, but can do much worse:
New Orleans, Toronto, Sacramento, Atlanta, Washington, Utah

5) I'm just happy to be in the NBA:
Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Charlotte, Minnesota, Philadelphia

As such, Washington is roughly the 19th-24th best free agent destination.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#65 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Upper Decker wrote:I think there are several tiers for free agency destinations (all things "$$" being equal):

1) Premier destinations:

19-24? You're kidding right. Washington, DC is easily in category #2 as far as great place, great life. If it lacks anything it's the strong team environment. Let's not forget that we're talking about mostly young African-American males. I can assure you that most of them would much rather live and hangout in the DMV than places like Portland or Phoenix.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#66 » by Dat2U » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:20 pm

DCZards wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:I think there are several tiers for free agency destinations (all things "$$" being equal):

1) Premier destinations:

19-24? You're kidding right. Washington, DC is easily in category #2 as far as great place, great life. If it lacks anything it's the strong team environment.

Until we have a strong respected presence in the front office, I don't think big free agents look at the Wizards seriously. DC is a great city. But people can separate the city from the Wizards. The Wizards have a wretched history and reputation and fact is, Ted never really cleaned house, so part of that bad name is still associated with the organization.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#67 » by Nivek » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Upper Decker wrote:Drew Gooden signed here so obviously DC is a destination. He even think's Washington is a championship contender...

Drew Gooden:
To be honest, it seems it’s only a handful of teams that seem like they want to win a championship...and the Washington Wizards is one that wants to win. I think that’s why they added me for depth, going into the playoffs.

Man, that quote from Gooden really concerns me. He thinks the Wizards want to win a championship?

W
T
F
?
?
?

:crazy:
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#68 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 pm

I think the Zards want to win a championship...as do every team and player. The question is whether they have the talent to do it. But that's different from "wanting" to win a championship.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#69 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:

1) Premier destinations:

19-24? You're kidding right. Washington, DC is easily in category #2 as far as great place, great life. If it lacks anything it's the strong team environment.

Until we have a strong respected presence in the front office, I don't think big free agents look at the Wizards seriously. DC is a great city. But people can separate the city from the Wizards. The Wizards have a wretched history and reputation and fact is, Ted never really cleaned house, so part of that bad name is still associated with the organization.

So why is Orlando in the 2nd tier? Central Florida is a dump. DC is a top 10 market, and a top 10 city, maybe even top 5. Just ignore the management aspect, and the team. The poster was saying market, DC is in the 2nd tier.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#70 » by Dat2U » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:

So why is Orlando in the 2nd tier? Central Florida is a dump. DC is a top 10 market, and a top 10 city, maybe even top 5. Just ignore the management aspect, and the team. The poster was saying market, DC is in the 2nd tier.

Orlando at one time was able to sign both Tracy McGrady & Grant Hill. So no, you can't just look at the city or market. You can't ignore the management aspect. No one ever thought of Miami as a basketball destination until Pat Riley got there.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Orlando at one time was able to sign both Tracy McGrady & Grant Hill. So no, you can't just look at the city or market. You can't ignore the management aspect. No one ever thought of Miami as a basketball destination until Pat Riley got there.

That was over a decade ago.

Miami is Miami. Lack of a state income tax also plays role, you get to keep a little bit more of your money. Weather, women, etc.

If $ were equal, I don't think a player would sign w/Detroit over DC, factoring everything in, but that's just me. Now if Miami or LAX were in the mix...yeah I'd take my talents to South Beach. But it's asinine to put DC in a 4th tier. Come on now...Dat I know you don't like the GM/Owner aspect of the team, but put the haterade down. DC is DC bro, chocolate city...
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#72 » by Nivek » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Miami is Miami.

Are you sure? Sources told me Miami was actually Dubuque.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Nivek wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Miami is Miami.

Are you sure? Sources told me Miami was actually Dubuque.

:)
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#74 » by barelyawake » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:23 pm

Since history and management play into this (and they certainly do), doesn't having Wall, Beal and a bunch of cap also play into it? Doesn't having a pass first point who is an Allstar help draw those hoping to receive a pass?

If the question is about the city and not the team, then DC as a city is easily a top ten destination for young millionaires. Without a doubt. It's close to top five, actually (since Vegas doesn't have a team). But, once you start factoring in basketball related items, you must also factor in our team (and how far we could go with a true star big -- since that is whom we are hoping to attract). In two years, if we get a bench, our city and backcourt will draw big free agents (if management doesn't screw up our cap).
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#75 » by fishercob » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Andre Miller recruited to Wizards by Al Harrington and Nene

Andre Miller has been with the Wizards just a week, but it seems that his journey here began much earlier this month after a text conversation with Al Harrington.

“I texted Al Harrington a few weeks before this all happened and he was like: ‘Dre, you should try and get moved here. It’s a good organization,’” Miller told Grant and Danny on 106.7 The Fan on Wednesday.

This certainly doesn't trump money. But that said, it's a good thing that young and old guys alike (John and Al) are happy here and are trying to recruit their buddies.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#76 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:50 pm

DC is an overrated destination.
Stop thinking otherwise.
Local boy Dan even left DC recently for warmer weather and sunny beaches.

Current local temperature in DC. 32
Current local temperature in LA. 74

Where would YOU rather live during the 8-9 month long NBA basketball season if you were a young NBA player?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:53 pm

barelyawake wrote:If the question is about the city and not the team, then DC as a city is easily a top ten destination for young millionaires. Without a doubt. It's close to top five, actually (since Vegas doesn't have a team).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for making me laugh. :lol:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Lets also not forget black men love latin women.
The latin women in the DC area do not look like this.
They do in Miami, LA & NYC though.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#79 » by barelyawake » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Wes, are you always so drunk and old? Absolutely no one has compared DC to LA, Miami or New York. But notice, you didn't compare the weather for Chicago or New York to LA.

Keep projecting that a young millionaire has the same wants as a relic from the 1970s looking at 40 year old prom pics.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#80 » by fishercob » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:29 pm

barely, you can't blame a guy for wanting to rock and roll all night and party evuh-ree-day!

Wes is like a 45 year-old Wooderson.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards