Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: statistical evidence for improved contract yr play 

Post#2 » by Nivek » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 pm

"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#3 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:44 pm

another instance where something that is generally accepted as fact
without question, is quite possibly wrong. I suspected as much.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#4 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks for the link and the question. I've wondered that too, figuring maybe some players push for stats in contract years at the expense of the overall quality of their games.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#5 » by leswizards » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm

I only glimpsed at the paper briefly, but if you look at it, he mentions that the bulk of the literature on the subject has confirmed that there is actually a contract year phenomenon. He just disagrees with the methodology of the previous literature.

Well, I have a huge problem with his methodology, and I don't think his paper proves what he thinks it does. My problem with his methodology is that he uses advanced statistics. Until very recently, players were not using advanced statistics to prove their worth. They were using traditional statistics to prove their worth, and the vast majority of teams were basing their contracts on those traditional statistics. The contract year phenomenon could (and does exist), and his paper would completely miss it because he uses the wrong variables.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#6 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm

leswizards wrote:I only glimpsed at the paper briefly, but if you look at it, he mentions that the bulk of the literature on the subject has confirmed that there is actually a contract year phenomenon. He just disagrees with the methodology of the previous literature.

Well, I have a huge problem with his methodology, and I don't think his paper proves what he thinks it does. My problem with his methodology is that he uses advanced statistics. Until very recently, players were not using advanced statistics to prove their worth. They were using traditional statistics to prove their worth, and the vast majority of teams were basing their contracts on those traditional statistics. The contract year phenomenon could (and does exist), and his paper would completely miss it because he uses the wrong variables.

Haven't read it yet (hard enough reading RealGM on a phone) but I could imagine it going both ways, with some players working harder and improving their overall play along with their advanced stat measures, and others going for more glory stats and showing worse in advanced stats. I could see that being the case even before advanced stats were widely followed. Imagine Unseld constantly calling for the ball in a contract year.

Return to Washington Wizards