ImageImageImageImageImage

Flamewar: US vs Canada

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Re: Official Thread -- Wizards at Raptors (2/27/14) 

Post#21 » by RaptorPride » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 am

Illmatic21 wrote:I saw on Reddit that they cut off Raptors games to show curling and random hockey games.. I feel for basketball fans up there, that's just sad :lol:

its not even that bad if its a hockey game they replace raptors games with curling who the **** even watches curling
Spoiler:

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#22 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:30 am

Actually, no. There weren't Raptors games cut off for curling. The two national sports networks here have more than one channel each, and occasionally Raps games have been moved to an alternate channel in favour of curling because Raptors ball is Toronto centric whereas Curling has a nation wide fan base and does huge numbers.

Just because you're not a fan, doesn't mean it's irrelevant.

Nobody in Canada gives a rat's ass about NASCAR but 300 million rednecks sure do.
Nobody in the USA cares about Soccer or Crickets, but billions of other people do.

Try not to fulfill the stereotype by acting completely closed minded.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#23 » by J-Ves » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:40 am

All hail our Canadian overlords!
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:41 am

J-Ves wrote:All hail our Canadian overlords!

No

Canada never had slavery
Error Afflalo
Rookie
And1: 687

Post#25 » by Error Afflalo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:43 am

Look at these bammas
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#26 » by Illmatic21 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:43 am

CoachD wrote:Actually, no. There weren't Raptors games cut off for curling. The two national sports networks here have more than one channel each, and occasionally Raps games have been moved to an alternate channel in favour of curling because Raptors ball is Toronto centric whereas Curling has a nation wide fan base and does huge numbers.

Nobody in Canada gives a rat's ass about NASCAR but 300 million rednecks sure do.
Nobody in the USA cares about Soccer or Crickets, but billions of other people do.

Calm down buddy, I was sympathizing with the NBA fans in Canada who don't have access to good coverage of their team or the league. I've heard of Canada not having the same ESPN, NBATV coverage and whatnot, for guys who want to follow the NBA that's unfortunate. I've never been to Canada so I could be wrong, I've just seen internet posters from Canada complaining about it.

And your last statement is ironic no? Considering you just referred to ALL 300 million Americans as rednecks earlier in your post. Even more ironic considering that they apparently just bumped a Raptors game for the Daytona 500, which nobody in Canada supposedly cares about :lol: :lol:

Btw NASCAR jokes don't really 'take' on a forum mainly full of DC-area residents. Try the Bobcats or Grizzlies forum maybe?
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#27 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:47 am

CoachD wrote:Actually, no. There weren't Raptors games cut off for curling. The two national sports networks here have more than one channel each, and occasionally Raps games have been moved to an alternate channel in favour of curling because Raptors ball is Toronto centric whereas Curling has a nation wide fan base and does huge numbers.

Perhaps decrying someone supposedly acting a stereotype while at the same time engaging in stereotyping others is not your best effort.

You being a world-liver, non-troller and all that.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:54 am

Fair enough. I should have been more accurate with my number and 50 million.

And, as far as what Canadians have access to ...

TSN and TSN 2
Sportsnet - has 5 channels
as well as the CBC
and several local networks that carry games.

PLUS, we have access to all of the US Networks and cable options (i.e. NBC, TNT etc) NBA TV, RaptorsTV (which is a Raptor centric version of NBATV with a lot of the same programming options), and depending on the cable provider ESPN, ESPN Classic, and more.

Just to provide a little clarity.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#29 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 am

Well I have nothing against Canada. But thanks to you Raps trolls, I now have a very strong stigma against their fans. So if your mission was to get a bunch of Wiz fans to hate you, congratulations guys, you win.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#30 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 am

CoachD wrote:
montestewart wrote:
CoachD wrote:

No

Canada never had slavery

Ha! Every place has had slavery.

You REALLY need to read a history book not published in the US if you believe that

This is Wizardry's new angle.
Huskies_
Banned User
And1: 479

Post#31 » by Huskies_ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:10 am

CoachD wrote:So let me say this...

I'm a Raptor fan but not a troll. The only reason I'm here is because someone posted about this thread on the Raptor board.

I have lived (not just travelled) all over the world, including not far from you guys when I was in Mclean, VA.

After having worked and lived in 6 different countries, I can say without bias, that while they all have their pros and cons - there is no place like Canada. Easily the most progressive, forward thinking nation in the world. There is nothing inferior about Canada - other than the fact that the country is filled with easy going people who would normally never challenge those kinds of statements. If someone wrote "F USA" it would be met with all levels of hate, but looking down your collective noses at a country with a fraction of the debt, free health care for all, the lowest unemployment rate and affordable education is just silly.

This nonsense about "they gave us Drake and Beiber" ... yes, and also a HUGE portion of big and small screen stars and top writers / directors. The entertainment industry in the US is filled with Canadians.

Re: athletes. Canada has been hockey crazy for the last 100 years. All of the best hockey players are still being produced by Canada. Just take a look at the 2014 Olympics.

Canada also has a ton of guys in the NFL and MLB. In basketball, Canada has produced more talent over the last 15 years than ever before - in large part to the Raptor's existence, and increased popularity of the sport.

Wiggins is a top 3 pick this year. Ennis will be an outstanding PG in the league. Bennett was #1. Tristan Thompson #4, Olynik is great prospect. Andrew Nicholson will develop into a solid pro. There are over 130 Canadians currently playing NCAA division 1 basketball.

The fact that the Raptors have only ever had one Canadian on their roster - former All Star, Jaamal Magloire speaks to the way that Canadians see their teams. They couldn't care less where you were born as long as you can play.

If you want to come across as an uneducated clown and spew nonsense about Canada - feel free, but I ask that you at least do some research and don't throw stones if your house is made of glass.

Yes, we have a moron like Rob Ford in office (without any power mind you - he was stripped of it months ago), and you guys had Marion Barry.

AMEN.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#32 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:43 am

CoachD wrote:Yes, we have a moron like Rob Ford in office (without any power mind you - he was stripped of it months ago), and you guys had Marion Barry.

Come on, Bucko, read a book that wasn't published in the U.S. The Federal government stripped DC of power from the starting gate. The mayor of this town is a glorified figurehead, like a ward boss in a small industrial town in the 1950s. Without any true power, all that's left is small scale bribery and a little demagoguery. I know DC's just a dink town in another country, but come on…I know that Canada had slavery, how come you don't know that DC citizens (unlike citizens in the 50 states) have no representation in the U.S. Congress?
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#33 » by Matty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:53 am

nuposse04 wrote:
Matty wrote:
dlts20 wrote:lets face it. The Raps are playing damn near perfect bball right now. I think I hear them talk about Indy alot but they kinda remind me more of a poor man's Spurs.

With that being said, they are not unbeatable. This game reminds me of the one I watched last week when Chicago went in there and beat them. We can do that too (if Witt doesnt screw it up)

Chicago beat us because they were playing a very physical game from the start, and even then it came down to the wire where Derozan had a shot to win in the last 10 seconds, except he got blocked by Butler.

You guys are no Chicago. And the only way you're gonna win this game is if your offense is on point, especially in the first half.

Chicago is fairly easy for us to handle IMO. We struggle with athletic bigs which you guys have. Chicago has bruisers, and one high energy skilled guy in Noah. I'd love to face CHI in the playoffs tbh, but the raptors.....eh unless our bigs actually playing with the same energy your guys do... :/

I also expect CHI to break down very soon. They aren't deep, their best players aren't "young" and I'm still baffled ya'll lost to them.

You guys have a great player in lowry and very good players across the board, I don't see how ya'll don't roll roughshot over the east.

Lastly, why no massive gains by Val? I was checkin out his advance stats and while good for someone his age, I was expecting so see slightly more production, or does barely any offense get called for him?

PS **** Canada :P

Jonas' struggles have been well documented this season. He doesn't have the same "jump" he possessed in his rookie year. Most Raptor fans on Real GM think its because of the weight gain, but for his slim size, he should be gaining more to compete with the big centers in this league.

During the start of games, the starters try to feed him the ball down low but the problem is he can't establish his position there, and when he finally does get the ball, he's already too far away from the post and that's usually a turnover waiting to happen. I'm not too worried though. He's a 21 year old foreign big man in his 2nd year, averaging 10 and 9. That's OK production. Not what we were expecting but you can't fault him.

Chicago is not going to free fall. They are fighting tooth and nail for that final home court seed. That's really the only team we're worried about jumping over us. They have very limited offense but they wins games by grinding it out and trust me, that's not a team you wanna face in the playoffs. There is nothing more valuable in the post-season than study defense and playoff experience, and they have BOTH. If anything, you guys have a better shot against us. We're just as inexperienced as you guys.

oh and I'm not a huge hockey fan, and I don't feel the need to insult your country, but I heard "American tears" was the hottest drink downtown

Cheers.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#34 » by Mister Ze » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:44 am

Was expecting a debate between Wizards and Raptors- stumbled across Canada vs USA.

As an unbiased person whose visited over a dozen major US cities and lives in Toronto, America is better to live in if you're slightly above middle-class or richer. Canada is better overall for people who are middle-class or poorer because of the various benefits.

We tax the rich here to maintain some economic inequality, you guys don't (Which could be beneficial to some of you) and as a result your middle class is starting to fade.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#35 » by dlts20 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:50 am

to be fair to the Americans here, I thinnk most of it was a joke as far as the Country stuff goes
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#36 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:13 am

Worse game thread ever.

How about you guy talk about the history about US and Canada and sling your insults via PM or something.

And for the TOR fans, how about coming to a basic understanding that this is a Wizards board. There is a Raptors board. They are separate things.

If I go to post in the TOR board it would probably be complimenting the team or a player or to provide some insight on a player they added that we had. I doubt anyone over there would be interesting in much more then that.
steveholt
Junior
And1: 275

Post#37 » by steveholt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:58 am

Wow Raptors fans are a bunch of pussies for real crying and whining about Canada, love us respect us tell us we are relevant looool. this canadian inferiority complex is ridiculous. Go back to your own board you pussies.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#38 » by BruceO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am

I was wondering how the game thread was eight pages long already. Now it makes sense. Everyone's too serious its only basketball. I also like raps fans. My sister is in to onto. The Raptors aren't dicks like cavs and heat fans as well. And pretty sure all the Canada comments for the most part start out as just jokes
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#39 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 pm

BruceO wrote:I was wondering how the game thread was eight pages long already. Now it makes sense. Everyone's too serious its only basketball. I also like raps fans. My sister is in to onto. The Raptors aren't dicks like cavs and heat fans as well. And pretty sure all the Canada comments for the most part start out as just jokes

I went a little overboard with the carpet nuke thing, but I was mostly reacting to the rather pompous trolls that came in here uninstigated.

Toronto is a world class city, their mayor certainly isn't but I doubt any of us harbor any REAL animosity to Canada.

Except Beiber and Drake, they can go contract ebola.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#40 » by BruceO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
BruceO wrote:I was wondering how the game thread was eight pages long already. Now it makes sense. Everyone's too serious its only basketball. I also like raps fans. My sister is in to onto. The Raptors aren't dicks like cavs and heat fans as well. And pretty sure all the Canada comments for the most part start out as just jokes

I went a little overboard with the carpet nuke thing, but I was mostly reacting to the rather pompous trolls that came in here uninstigated.

Toronto is a world class city, their mayor certainly isn't but I doubt any of us harbor any REAL animosity to Canada.

Except Beiber and Drake, they can go contract ebola.

I just read the thread and those Mexicans in sweaters were trolling. I like most raptor fans. I hope these guys aren't representative because I hope they haven't for the most part turned arrogant (remember how cav fans were) when they are winning

Return to Washington Wizards