ImageImageImageImageImage

Flamewar: US vs Canada

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Official Thread -- Wizards at Raptors (2/27/14) 

Post#41 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:53 pm

CoachD wrote:So let me say this...

I'm a Raptor fan but not a troll. The only reason I'm here is because someone posted about this thread on the Raptor board.

I have lived (not just travelled) all over the world, including not far from you guys when I was in Mclean, VA.

After having worked and lived in 6 different countries, I can say without bias, that while they all have their pros and cons - there is no place like Canada. Easily the most progressive, forward thinking nation in the world. There is nothing inferior about Canada - other than the fact that the country is filled with easy going people who would normally never challenge those kinds of statements. If someone wrote "F USA" it would be met with all levels of hate, but looking down your collective noses at a country with a fraction of the debt, free health care for all, the lowest unemployment rate and affordable education is just silly.

This nonsense about "they gave us Drake and Beiber" ... yes, and also a HUGE portion of big and small screen stars and top writers / directors. The entertainment industry in the US is filled with Canadians.

Re: athletes. Canada has been hockey crazy for the last 100 years. All of the best hockey players are still being produced by Canada. Just take a look at the 2014 Olympics.

Canada also has a ton of guys in the NFL and MLB. In basketball, Canada has produced more talent over the last 15 years than ever before - in large part to the Raptor's existence, and increased popularity of the sport.

Wiggins is a top 3 pick this year. Ennis will be an outstanding PG in the league. Bennett was #1. Tristan Thompson #4, Olynik is great prospect. Andrew Nicholson will develop into a solid pro. There are over 130 Canadians currently playing NCAA division 1 basketball.

The fact that the Raptors have only ever had one Canadian on their roster - former All Star, Jaamal Magloire speaks to the way that Canadians see their teams. They couldn't care less where you were born as long as you can play.

If you want to come across as an uneducated clown and spew nonsense about Canada - feel free, but I ask that you at least do some research and don't throw stones if your house is made of glass.

Yes, we have a moron like Rob Ford in office (without any power mind you - he was stripped of it months ago), and you guys had Marion Barry.

Nice response, Coach D.

While staying with relatives in Detroit, I had the opportunity to visit Windsor, Ontario. It was quite a contrast--very clean streets and well maintained homes and landscaping.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#42 » by AFM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
CoachD wrote:So let me say this...

I'm a Raptor fan but not a troll. The only reason I'm here is because someone posted about this thread on the Raptor board.

I have lived (not just travelled) all over the world, including not far from you guys when I was in Mclean, VA.

After having worked and lived in 6 different countries, I can say without bias, that while they all have their pros and cons - there is no place like Canada. Easily the most progressive, forward thinking nation in the world. There is nothing inferior about Canada - other than the fact that the country is filled with easy going people who would normally never challenge those kinds of statements. If someone wrote "F USA" it would be met with all levels of hate, but looking down your collective noses at a country with a fraction of the debt, free health care for all, the lowest unemployment rate and affordable education is just silly.

This nonsense about "they gave us Drake and Beiber" ... yes, and also a HUGE portion of big and small screen stars and top writers / directors. The entertainment industry in the US is filled with Canadians.

Re: athletes. Canada has been hockey crazy for the last 100 years. All of the best hockey players are still being produced by Canada. Just take a look at the 2014 Olympics.

Canada also has a ton of guys in the NFL and MLB. In basketball, Canada has produced more talent over the last 15 years than ever before - in large part to the Raptor's existence, and increased popularity of the sport.

Wiggins is a top 3 pick this year. Ennis will be an outstanding PG in the league. Bennett was #1. Tristan Thompson #4, Olynik is great prospect. Andrew Nicholson will develop into a solid pro. There are over 130 Canadians currently playing NCAA division 1 basketball.

The fact that the Raptors have only ever had one Canadian on their roster - former All Star, Jaamal Magloire speaks to the way that Canadians see their teams. They couldn't care less where you were born as long as you can play.

If you want to come across as an uneducated clown and spew nonsense about Canada - feel free, but I ask that you at least do some research and don't throw stones if your house is made of glass.

Yes, we have a moron like Rob Ford in office (without any power mind you - he was stripped of it months ago), and you guys had Marion Barry.

Nice response, Coach D.

While staying with relatives in Detroit, I had the opportunity to visit Windsor, Ontario. It was quite a contrast--very clean streets and well maintained homes and landscaping.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

I live in the Detroit area. I think that says more about Detroit than it does about Canada.

Anyway, WTF happened here? I go to bed and this thread comes back ruined. Can't these **** go to their own board? I'd like to discuss the Wizards, not whether Canada ever had slavery on not (hint, it did).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#43 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Always the same with those clowns. What an embarrassment you are to the rest of the Raptors fans that don't have to constantly reach out for validation.

Sad.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#44 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:18 pm

Matty wrote:oh and I'm not a huge hockey fan, and I don't feel the need to insult your country, but I heard "American tears" was the hottest drink downtown

Don't let it get out that you aren't a huge hockey fan in Canada, they might deport you.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#45 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:While staying with relatives in Detroit, I had the opportunity to visit Windsor, Ontario. It was quite a contrast--very clean streets and well maintained homes and landscaping.

Not to mention the famous Witown sound and its contribution to the history of soul

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#46 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm

montestewart wrote:
CoachD wrote:Yes, we have a moron like Rob Ford in office (without any power mind you - he was stripped of it months ago), and you guys had Marion Barry.

Come on, Bucko, read a book that wasn't published in the U.S. The Federal government stripped DC of power from the starting gate. The mayor of this town is a glorified figurehead, like a ward boss in a small industrial town in the 1950s. Without any true power, all that's left is small scale bribery and a little demagoguery. I know DC's just a dink town in another country, but come on…I know that Canada had slavery, how come you don't know that DC citizens (unlike citizens in the 50 states) have no representation in the U.S. Congress?

my point is, that's all Ford has been for months. A figurehead without any power at all. That being said, he is actually running the city with shocking efficiency and had done a great job on the budget.

And regarding slavery -- there are documented cases of slave owners in northern regions - with the latest known instance being in 1832. At that time, this land was under British rule and Canada didn't exist. Canada formed in 1867. No slavery.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#47 » by Nivek » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Slavery in what now comprises Canada existed until 1833, when slavery was officially abolished. Some slaves were of African descent, but most were aboriginal (typically called panis, likely a corruption of Pawnee). Slavery within Canada's current geography was practised primarily by Aboriginal groups. While there was never any significant Canadian trade in African slaves, native nations frequently enslaved their rivals and a very modest number (sometimes none in a number of years) were purchased by colonial administrators (rarely by settlers) until 1833, when the slave trade was abolished across the British Empire.

A few thousand[citation needed] African slaves were forcibly brought as chattel by Europeans to New France, Acadia and the later British North America (see chattel slavery) during the 17th century. They were house servants and farm workers. There were no large-scale plantations in Canada, and therefore no large-scale plantation slave work forces of the sort that existed in most European colonies in the southerly Americas, from Virginia to the West Indies to Brazil.

Because early Canada's role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade was so minor, the history of slavery in Canada is often overshadowed by the more tumultuous slavery practised elsewhere in the Americas - most famously in the American South, and infamously in the colonial Caribbean. Afua Cooper states that slavery is, "Canada's best kept secret, locked within the National closet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Canada
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:59 pm

For the record, I love the DC area, and really enjoyed my time in VA.

One thing that you guys should understand is this ... Canadians ARE more sensitive to the "Eff Canada" comments because there is an overwhelming lack of knowledge about this great country. Most of what Americans say to slag Canada is rumor, conjecture or just plain false.

Kids in American schools don't take "Canadian History" but "US History" is offered as an elective at the high school level - and every university program has it as well.

In addition to all of the Canadian media, we also get the US media - so Canadians are very well educated as it pertains to most things USA. Most Canadians have, at some point, visited the United States - whereas a recent article I read on a flight said that over 78% of Americans have never ventured outside their home state.

There's a sketch comedy show up here that did these hilarious on-the-street interviews a few years ago where they went into bordering states and interviewed US residents, asking questions about Canada.

People in Detroit, NY, Portland etc were signing petitions to "prevent Canadian President John Poutine from killing all the wild polar bears in Toronto. Poutine apparently wanted all of the polar bears contained because they were destroying people's igloos".

They didn't interview homeless drunks either. They were talking to corporate folks and well spoken blue collars. Stuff like this makes Canadians face palm and say "Seriously? Are you guys that ignorant about us?"
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Re: Flamewar: US vs Canada 

Post#49 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:10 pm

LOL -- this thread is good idea, Nate. (I type these words before you've moved all the posts here.)
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#50 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:10 pm

CoachD wrote:In addition to all of the Canadian media, we also get the US media - so Canadians are very well educated as it pertains to most things USA. Most Canadians have, at some point, visited the United States - whereas a recent article I read on a flight said that over 78% of Americans have never ventured outside their home state.

I find this figure very hard to believe.

This would indicate 57% staying in the same state as a place to live:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2008/12/ ... clnk&gl=us
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#51 » by montestewart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:30 pm

CoachD wrote:
montestewart wrote:
CoachD wrote:Yes, we have a moron like Rob Ford in office (without any power mind you - he was stripped of it months ago), and you guys had Marion Barry.

Come on, Bucko, read a book that wasn't published in the U.S. The Federal government stripped DC of power from the starting gate. The mayor of this town is a glorified figurehead, like a ward boss in a small industrial town in the 1950s. Without any true power, all that's left is small scale bribery and a little demagoguery. I know DC's just a dink town in another country, but come on…I know that Canada had slavery, how come you don't know that DC citizens (unlike citizens in the 50 states) have no representation in the U.S. Congress?

my point is, that's all Ford has been for months. A figurehead without any power at all. That being said, he is actually running the city with shocking efficiency and had done a great job on the budget.

And regarding slavery -- there are documented cases of slave owners in northern regions - with the latest known instance being in 1832. At that time, this land was under British rule and Canada didn't exist. Canada formed in 1867. No slavery.

Maynor: 0 turnovers
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#52 » by fishercob » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 pm

I am a lover of comedy. Therefore I am lover of Canada.

Dan Akroyd, Seth Rogen, Leslie Nielsen, Martin Short, Jim Carrey, John Candy, Norm McDonald, Phil Hartman, Will Arnett, Mike Meyers, Eugene Levy, Catherine O'hara, Samantha Bee, Michael Cera, Lorne Michaels...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#53 » by Upper Decker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Canada is like your attic. Most of the time you forget that it's up there, and usually its a pain and the ass just to get there (customs / pulling out the ladder), but once you're up there you realize there's actually a bunch of cool stuff.
SwaggyB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,595

Post#54 » by SwaggyB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:10 pm

Can't we all just get along!?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#55 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:58 pm

CoachD wrote:There's a sketch comedy show up here that did these hilarious on-the-street interviews a few years ago where they went into bordering states and interviewed US residents, asking questions about Canada.

People in Detroit, NY, Portland etc were signing petitions to "prevent Canadian President John Poutine from killing all the wild polar bears in Toronto. Poutine apparently wanted all of the polar bears contained because they were destroying people's igloos".

They didn't interview homeless drunks either. They were talking to corporate folks and well spoken blue collars. Stuff like this makes Canadians face palm and say "Seriously? Are you guys that ignorant about us?"

To be fair, it's not ignorance about just Canada.
Bullets -> Wizards
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#56 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:05 pm

steveholt wrote:Wow Raptors fans are a bunch of pussies for real crying and whining about Canada, love us respect us tell us we are relevant looool. this canadian inferiority complex is ridiculous. Go back to your own board you pussies.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:23 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
CoachD wrote:There's a sketch comedy show up here that did these hilarious on-the-street interviews a few years ago where they went into bordering states and interviewed US residents, asking questions about Canada.

To be fair, it's not ignorance about just Canada.

Agreed...

I can ALMOST understand having limited knowledge about countries on the other side of the globe... but your closest neighbors?

Especially for people who live in states that border Canada ... It seems ridiculous to all of us.

"preventing Canadian President John Poutine from killing all the wild polar bears in Toronto. Poutine apparently wanted all of the polar bears contained because they were destroying people's igloos".

There are like 4 major errors with that line, and out of 200 americans interviewed, only a handful found an issue with it.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#58 » by AFM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm sure they showed all the educated people who knew it was nonsense. Being a sketch comedy show and all.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#59 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:28 pm

You should see how many women Jimmy Kimmel tricked to sign a petition to end women's suffrage.

Last week was College Jeopardy and one of the questions was essentially "How many provinces does Canada have?" and the kids didn't even bother to buzz in, much less get it wrong. Needless to say the look of exasperation on the Canadian Trebek was in full bloom. To be fair though, half the country aren't provinces so it's a bit of a curveball.
Bullets -> Wizards
CoachD
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by CoachD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:29 pm

AFM wrote:I'm sure they showed all the educated people who knew it was nonsense. Being a sketch comedy show and all.

They were trying to DESPERATELY to find people who got it.
Even if you're right ... the fact that they could find almost 200 people who were clueless says a lot ... even if 200 others were smart enough to know

Return to Washington Wizards