ImageImageImageImageImage

Roy Hibbert is an all-star and Kwame is a bust? How?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Roy Hibbert is an all-star and Kwame is a bust? How? 

Post#21 » by Nivek » Wed May 7, 2014 8:01 pm

Moooose wrote:Something is definitely wrong with Hibbert but Kwame Brown is just an unfair comparison for him. And I do not think it is a smart argument at all.

I think I have heard on the latest CBS podcast that Hibbert looks hurt, could be the previous reports of nerve damage in one of his arms wherein one of his arms loses strength.

Definitely agree. Notice that the original poster on this is a guy who's posted 7 times. I don't think any of the regulars on this board really believes Hibbert vs. Kwame is a good comparison. I don't think the original poster does either -- probably just trying to be funny.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,186

Post#22 » by Zonkerbl » Wed May 7, 2014 8:37 pm

Nivek wrote:If he was depressed because of the breakup, post-concussion syndrome would likely exacerbate things. Symptoms include psychological stuff such as depressed mood, irritability and anxiety.

Hm. You know, that makes a ton of sense. Hibbert goes out into a loud, brightly lit environment, which is probably uncomfortable to him since he never got a chance to recover from his concussion, feels irritable and anxious...

Huh!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#23 » by Nivek » Wed May 7, 2014 8:46 pm

Might also help explain his criticism of teammates.

Of course, I don't KNOW anything. I'm just looking at it from the outside, and the theory is at least plausible. It's hard to believe that he was a decent basketball player until March 26, and that he abruptly just "forgot" how to play.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Zonkerbl » Wed May 7, 2014 8:53 pm

The one thing that makes me skeptical is, I'm sure other basketball players have suffered concussions before? Well, I guess not to all-stars. But still, wouldn't we have noticed post-concussion blahs in other players?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#25 » by Kanyewest » Wed May 7, 2014 8:58 pm

Nivek wrote:Might also help explain his criticism of teammates.

Of course, I don't KNOW anything. I'm just looking at it from the outside, and the theory is at least plausible. It's hard to believe that he was a decent basketball player until March 26, and that he abruptly just "forgot" how to play.

Hibbert was struggling going into that Miami game.
http://www.indycornrows.com/2014/3/25/5 ... -been-dawg

Hibbert just looks tired and slow footed to me. Maybe he's focused too much on getting bigger rather his quickness.

Nivek
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Nivek » Wed May 7, 2014 9:30 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Nivek wrote:Might also help explain his criticism of teammates.

Hibbert was struggling going into that Miami game.
http://www.indycornrows.com/2014/3/25/5 ... -been-dawg

Hibbert just looks tired and slow footed to me. Maybe he's focused too much on getting bigger rather his quickness.

Good call.

Your post prompted me to look at his game log using my stat, PPA. Basically, his production (aside from the crazy early season fluctuations) peaked at a PPA of 168 on December 10. By January 10, it was down to 142, on February 10: 130, March 11: 115, and by the end of the season: 90. In PPA, 100 = average and higher is better. Hibbert was hemorrhaging production all season long.

It definitely got significantly worse after he elbowed by Lebron. In the 9 games he played after that, 8 rated as negative production, including each of the season's final six games.

Whatever is going on with Hibbert, it looks like a) there's probably been an issue since December, and b) it did get worse after the elbow.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Nivek
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Nivek » Wed May 7, 2014 9:43 pm

Think about this: Hibbert's peak PPA was 168 after 22 games. Just 22 games into the season, he'd already produced 52% of what would end up being his TOTAL production for the season. His PPA after that 22nd game was 60 -- slightly less productive per minute than Vesely was for the Wizards this season.

After that high-water mark, his production hovered around average (100) until the All-Star break. Then it declined steadily until 3/26 after which it fell off a cliff. His PPA after that 3/26 game against the Heat was 108. He lost 18 points over his last 9 games.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Zonkerbl » Wed May 7, 2014 10:09 pm

He was checked for concussion and cleared. How hard are concussions to diagnose? Is it possible the pacers' medical staff blew the diagnosis?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#29 » by AFM » Thu May 8, 2014 12:01 am

He played like trash for a few games immediately before his injury.
It wasnt that.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Nivek » Thu May 8, 2014 1:19 am

So much for post-concussion syndrome.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

JohnBFanatic123
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#31 » by JohnBFanatic123 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:17 am

It looks like he's awakened now. I feel stupid for making this topic now. So he was going through something and it was physically ailing him and he just happened to recover now when he played the Wizards. How very convenient for us.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#32 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Robin Ficker lost the game for us on Sunday
In Rizzo we trust
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,878

Post#33 » by payitforward » Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Robin Ficker lost the game for us on Sunday

He has pre-concussion syndrome, or maybe even pre-trauma stress disorder?

I've never understood how that guy keeps it "pre...." Had seats a few rows behind him a couple of years at the old arena. Made it hard to pay attention to the game.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards