Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Wizards interested in Luol Deng 

Post#21 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:59 am

payitforward wrote:Ok, I have to ask:

Rico -- do you think we should pursue and sign Deng? Come on now. Yes or no?

But keep this in mind: if you say "yes" and Ernie doesn't pursue him -- I'm going to remind you! Ditto if you say "no" and he does.

I'm going to get you to disagree with an Ernie move if I have to keep trying until the next decade! Yes, I am -- so... watch out! :wink:

:lol:

Hey, I've said for a while that the last Blatche extension was a mistake. How's that? LOL

Deng's not a great fit, even as a plan B in case Ariza walks. Wouldn't blame the team for at least talking to him, though. Never hurts to keep the options open!
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#22 » by queridiculo » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:59 am

Another starter that's guaranteed to miss 20 games a season, sure why not.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#23 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:45 am

LyricalRico wrote:
payitforward wrote:Ok, I have to ask:

Rico -- do you think we should pursue and sign Deng? Come on now. Yes or no?

But keep this in mind: if you say "yes" and Ernie doesn't pursue him -- I'm going to remind you! Ditto if you say "no" and he does.

I'm going to get you to disagree with an Ernie move if I have to keep trying until the next decade! Yes, I am -- so... watch out! :wink:

:lol:

Hey, I've said for a while that the last Blatche extension was a mistake. How's that? LOL

Deng's not a great fit, even as a plan B in case Ariza walks. Wouldn't blame the team for at least talking to him, though. Never hurts to keep the options open!

If a Ariza walks, wouldn't the best option be to roll with Porter? If not, wouldn't you agree that Ernie is just masking another f*ck up? :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#24 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:00 am

We're not going after Deng. It's either pure bunk or a smokescreen.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#25 » by popper » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:11 am

nate33 wrote:We're not going after Deng. It's either pure bunk or a smokescreen.

Agreed. Not going to happen unless EG has lost his mind completely. My god, we spent a high pick on Porter and now he needs to play. Sign a vet. minimum backup SF and lets roll with that.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#26 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:48 am

Deng is the backup plan if Ariza doesn't work out

Though keeping Ariza remains the Wizards’ preferred option after his resurgent season, the team has reached out to other potential replacements. Washington contacted the representatives of Cleveland free agent forward and two-time all-star Luol Deng to express interest, according to person with knowledge of the situation. Deng could be out of the Wizards’ price range since he rejected a three-year, $30 million extension from Chicago before getting dealt to the Cavaliers last season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... place-yet/
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#27 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:52 am

Kanyewest wrote:Deng is the backup plan if Ariza doesn't work out

Though keeping Ariza remains the Wizards’ preferred option after his resurgent season, the team has reached out to other potential replacements. Washington contacted the representatives of Cleveland free agent forward and two-time all-star Luol Deng to express interest, according to person with knowledge of the situation. Deng could be out of the Wizards’ price range since he rejected a three-year, $30 million extension from Chicago before getting dealt to the Cavaliers last season.

I'm with Nate on this. It's just a bargaining chip. With Gortat, we didn't have much leverage but with Ariza, we can point to the plethora of available small forwards on the market and say "either you re-sign with us for a reasonable price or we'll have to move on with someone else....like former All-Star Luol Deng."
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#28 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 2, 2014 7:46 am

miller31time wrote:

I'm with Nate on this. It's just a bargaining chip. With Gortat, we didn't have much leverage but with Ariza, we can point to the plethora of available small forwards on the market and say "either you re-sign with us for a reasonable price or we'll have to move on with someone else....like former All-Star Luol Deng."

And y'all said Ernie was a bad negotiator...

:D
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#29 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 2, 2014 8:59 am

Lol, there's no chance at Deng, anyone including Ariza & his agent can see right through that. EG basically telling Otto to kick rocks right now though.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#30 » by JWizmentality » Wed Jul 2, 2014 10:38 am

A good negotiator has an end game. What's Ernie's if Ariza says f*ck you and we can't afford Deng?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#31 » by hands11 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 10:56 am

Hypnotizer wrote:
hands11 wrote:I would like to see a press clipping associating us to interest in PP.

In addition to the Clippers, free agent Paul Pierce has been contacted by the Bulls, Grizzlies, Mavericks and Trail Blazers.

Presumably the Nets have also contacted him about returning to Brooklyn, but it's tough to gauge Pierce's interest after a postseason disappointment and the messy departure of coach Jason Kidd. There's a good chance Pierce will wait to see where other key free agents sign before choosing where to spend one of the final years of his NBA career.

I'm afraid my friend, we don't have enough cap space left to do so.

PP is a 36 year old UFA who while be 37 when the season starts who has at least one ring.

How much do you think he would cost ?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 2, 2014 11:52 am

How is Deng even a slight possibility? The Wiz are over the cap. They can't give him over the MLE.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#33 » by Hypnotizer » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:09 pm

hands11 wrote:
PP is a 36 year old UFA who while be 37 when the season starts who has at least one ring.

As much as someone wants to pay. I don't know, really. It was $15,333,334 last season in BKN, so I expect something between $8-10M in a franchise not called Nets.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#34 » by verbal8 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:48 pm

Hypnotizer wrote:
hands11 wrote:

As much as someone wants to pay. I don't know, really. It was $15,333,334 last season in BKN, so I expect something between $8-10M in a franchise not called Nets.

Yeah I think it is either a 2 year MLE deal or a 1 year $7/$8 million deal. I think both LA teams are in play, but I think the Clippers would have the inside track.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#35 » by queridiculo » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:

How is Deng even a slight possibility? The Wiz are over the cap. They can't give him over the MLE.

I was under the impression that the Wizards would have around $8 million of cap space when/if they renounce Ariza.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#36 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jul 2, 2014 2:56 pm

If you lose Ariza and can't get Deng, roll with Porter as your starter and GRJR backing him up while Webster recovers.

Why not? I bet Porter will be fine and all this hand wringing for nothing.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#37 » by gtn130 » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:39 pm

miller31time wrote:I'm with Nate on this. It's just a bargaining chip. With Gortat, we didn't have much leverage but with Ariza, we can point to the plethora of available small forwards on the market and say "either you re-sign with us for a reasonable price or we'll have to move on with someone else....like former All-Star Luol Deng."

Let's not pretend Ariza doesn't have all the leverage. Apparently LAC and Miami are very interested in his services, and I'm sure he'd love to play for either of them for a variety of reasons. IMO the only way he resigns with us is if we give him a much longer, more lucrative contract than anyone else is offering, and even then there's a decent chance he'd rather stay home and play for LAC with CP3 and Blake Griffin OR play for rings with LBJ.

If he resigns with us, it seems unlikely it will be a good deal for the Wizards.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#38 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:42 pm

gtn130 wrote:
miller31time wrote:I'm with Nate on this. It's just a bargaining chip. With Gortat, we didn't have much leverage but with Ariza, we can point to the plethora of available small forwards on the market and say "either you re-sign with us for a reasonable price or we'll have to move on with someone else....like former All-Star Luol Deng."

Let's not pretend Ariza doesn't have all the leverage. Apparently LAC and Miami are very interested in his services, and I'm sure he'd love to play for either of them for a variety of reasons. IMO the only way he resigns with us is if we give him a much longer, more lucrative contract than anyone else is offering, and even then there's a decent chance he'd rather stay home and play for LAC with CP3 and Blake Griffin OR play for rings with LBJ.

If he resigns with us, it seems unlikely it will be a good deal for the Wizards.

That's fine. I refuse to give a huge contract to Ariza when we have Porter waiting in the wings. If Ariza wants to re-sign for a reasonable deal, great. If not, so be it.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#39 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't understand what's going on here.

Either Porter is not a complete bust, in which case EG has all the leverage he needs without pretending to be interested in Deng.

Or Porter is a bust, in which case EG should no longer be employed.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,916

Post#40 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:55 pm

My observation is that the 2 guard and small forward position have melded into the same position if the 3 can shoot, put the ball on the court, and defend both positions- with that said- we haveWebster porter and hopefully Ariza - deng seems like an expensive oft injured good defender with a limited jump shot. I would develop porter before bringing another guy that can take minutes away from porter.

Get us a power forward or another big man of any sort, A back up point guard, some courage for walls jumpshot, a better coach and we will take a step towards the finals this year-

Return to Washington Wizards