ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread - Part XXVIII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXVIII 

Post#521 » by WallToWall » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:41 am

Any thoughts on getting Sullinger from the Celtics? He could be a good fit. Think the price would be too high?
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#522 » by stevemcqueen1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:49 am

WallToWall wrote:Any thoughts on getting Sullinger from the Celtics? He could be a good fit. Think the price would be too high?

I'd be interested in him. He'd be a terrific third big for us.

But the incentives to get a deal done aren't there. What we'd be willing to offer them would be less than they'd be willing to accept. And with Humphries playing well, and Gooden and Blair not even getting any burn, we don't really need him.

I've always liked Sully though. He's someone I'd be interesting in bringing in down the road. But I think Boston is going to want to hang on to him. He's productive and still very young. A nice role playing big to build with moving forward.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#523 » by deneem4 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:38 pm

payitforward wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Well *that* I'd do!! Especially if it was Seraphin. But, that trade wouldn't work because the salaries don't match. And Blair is too much value for the dollar to let go of easily.

Not that I wouldn't love to trade Nene, deneem -- we agree that he doesn't have much left (despite occasional good shooting games). But I don't see anyone trading for him given his salary and meh play.

As Hands points out, it would be great to have a young, defensive-minded big like Davis (or to have room to develop a guy like Birch).

I jus think were 1 stretch 4 from becoming legit contenders, I dont value ersan that high...but I do feel witb him on the court wall and beal will improve because of a big guy that can stretch the d and open up lanes instead of crows the paint like nene, and hate to say it, gortat

I don't begin to think that!! Not even in the East, let alone contenders for a title. And it wouldn't be Ilyasova whose addition alone made us contenders.

But we've probably talked this subject to death....

we got 2 potential superstars...one who excels at attacking the basket
another who is a pure marksmen...
we don't have 1 big that can consistently stretch out the defense...
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#524 » by WallToWall » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:32 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:
WallToWall wrote:Any thoughts on getting Sullinger from the Celtics? He could be a good fit. Think the price would be too high?

I've always liked Sully though. He's someone I'd be interesting in bringing in down the road. But I think Boston is going to want to hang on to him. He's productive and still very young. A nice role playing big to build with moving forward.

Reason I bring it up is that he can hit the open 3 pointer, and mid range, in addition to rebounding. His D is not half bad either. Perfect for what we need. With the durability of Nene in question, this may be worth investigating.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#525 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:56 am

WallToWall wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:

Reason I bring it up is that he can hit the open 3 pointer, and mid range, in addition to rebounding. His D is not half bad either. Perfect for what we need. With the durability of Nene in question, this may be worth investigating.

I've been to 1-2 games a year for the past few years. Thinking about coming to town for Tuesday's game.

Still never seen Nene play live.
In Rizzo we trust
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#526 » by theboomking » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:52 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:

But the incentives to get a deal done aren't there. What we'd be willing to offer them would be less than they'd be willing to accept. And with Humphries playing well, and Gooden and Blair not even getting any burn, we don't really need him.

I third this idea. Sullinger would be great. I really liked watching him in college. He is a good rebounder and passer and a smart basketball player. I don't think we have the ammo to get him though. The celtics will be hanging on to him.

I also redact my Beal for Drummond idea. Drummond has regressed and Beal looks like he will continue to progress. Beal looks like a better player now, and it appears that that gap may only widen with time.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#527 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:47 pm

deneem4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
I jus think were 1 stretch 4 from becoming legit contenders, I dont value ersan that high...but I do feel witb him on the court wall and beal will improve because of a big guy that can stretch the d and open up lanes instead of crows the paint like nene, and hate to say it, gortat

I don't begin to think that!! Not even in the East, let alone contenders for a title. And it wouldn't be Ilyasova whose addition alone made us contenders.

But we've probably talked this subject to death....

we got 2 potential superstars...one who excels at attacking the basket
another who is a pure marksmen...
we don't have 1 big that can consistently stretch out the defense...

Hey, we often agree, deneem. Your last statement is quite correct.

But... as to having 2 potential superstars (i.e. Wall and Beal I assume), lets get a season of Beal playing at an overall average level for an NBA shooting guard. Then lets talk about his superstar potential -- or even just plain old (non-super) star potential?

Still, sure -- a good stretch forward would make us a better team. Make any team better.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#528 » by hands11 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:02 am

I still don't think a pure stretch is our biggest need right now and have been saying that since last year.

A young athletic rim protector would be far more valuable.

We have the following players who all help stretch the floor.

Beal, Webster, Rasual, Gooden, Paul Peirce and Hump.

Gooden is a S4/S5
Paul is a SF who can play S4
Hump is good out to 15 feet. And in time might add more range.

Webby and Rasual are 3 point shooters

Beal is an all around SG that drives, passes and hit 3s

And when Wall gets the ball playing off ball, he can hit the 3 as well.

We have plenty to stretch the floor and I like that the team is more power then finesse.

What the need is someone they can bring off the bench behind Gortat, Hump, Nene that grabs rebounds and sending back shots.

Other then that, you need a big move. Something like LMA in which Nene is not longer here.

I would be interesting in Okafor and to bring him in I would move Blair.
I would consider moving Nene for KG just to dunk Nenes contract and add rim protection as another option.

But on thing is for sure. We are about to see what we have because Nene is likely out at least 3 games. And the next 3 games will be tough.
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#529 » by deneem4 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:23 am

hands11 wrote:I still don't think a pure stretch is our biggest need right now and have been saying that since last year.

A young athletic rim protector would be far more valuable.

We have the following players who all help stretch the floor.

Beal, Webster, Rasual, Gooden, Paul Peirce and Hump.

Gooden is a S4/S5
Paul is a SF who can play S4
Hump is good out to 15 feet. And in time might add more range.

Webby and Rasual are 3 point shooters

Beal is an all around SG that drives, passes and hit 3s

And when Wall gets the ball playing off ball, he can hit the 3 as well.

We have plenty to stretch the floor and I like that the team is more power then finesse.

What the need is someone they can bring off the bench behind Gortat, Hump, Nene that grabs rebounds and sending back shots.

Other then that, you need a big move. Something like LMA in which Nene is not longer here.

I would be interesting in Okafor and to bring him in I would move Blair.
I would consider moving Nene for KG just to dunk Nenes contract and add rim protection as another option.

But on thing is for sure. We are about to see what we have because Nene is likely out at least 3 games. And the next 3 games will be tough.

but thats thr thing we jus gave gortat a huge contract he literally unmovable and hes a serviceable starter but not with our team...hell work better next to a power house power forward that scores
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#530 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:41 am

deneem4 wrote:but thats thr thing we jus gave gortat a huge contract he literally unmovable and hes a serviceable starter but not with our team...hell work better next to a power house power forward that scores

Ridiculous.

Gortat currently ranks as the 10th best starting center in the league by WS/48 (and he's 12th by PER). He's a modestly above average starting center, which is a lot better than "serviceable".

Of the top 14 starting centers by WS/48, all of them except the two rookie contract guys (Cousins and Valanciunas) are paid more than Gortat. Frankly, with the way the salary cap is expected to balloon, Gortat's contract is going to look better and better.
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#531 » by deneem4 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:04 am

how about a swap of gortat and dj???
maybe throw webby in aswell....

wiz get dj, hawes
clips get gortat, webby, 2nd?

gives a better player to have next to blake and a shooting guard who can stick defense
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#532 » by deneem4 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 am

nate33 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:but thats thr thing we jus gave gortat a huge contract he literally unmovable and hes a serviceable starter but not with our team...hell work better next to a power house power forward that scores

Ridiculous.

Gortat currently ranks as the 10th best starting center in the league by WS/48 (and he's 12th by PER). He's a modestly above average starting center, which is a lot better than "serviceable".

Of the top 14 starting centers by WS/48, all of them except the two rookie contract guys (Cousins and Valanciunas) are paid more than Gortat. Frankly, with the way the salary cap is expected to balloon, Gortat's contract is going to look better and better.

so nene must be a REALLY BIG problem...right? and gortat is thr guy that does everything good but nothing the best
thricethefun
Junior
And1: 46

Post#533 » by thricethefun » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:24 am

deneem4 wrote:how about a swap of gortat and dj???

wiz get dj, hawes

gives a better player to have next to blake and a shooting guard who can stick defense

I would do that in a heartbeat. Not sure about Clippers though.
deneem4
Lead Assistant

Post#534 » by deneem4 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 am

thricethefun wrote:

wiz get dj, hawes

I would do that in a heartbeat. Not sure about Clippers though.

I was playing with a 3 team trade swapping ersan n nene and sending mayo or knight to the clips along with gortat
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#535 » by verbal8 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:17 pm

J-Ves wrote:What about a deal revolving around Rice for Copeland? Copeland has struggled with his shot this year but that's probably because of his increased minutes/usage. He'd come in here to replace Seraphins minutes and would be useful as a stretch 4.The Pacers would get the player with the higher upside.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Why not just deal Seraphin for Copeland? I doubt it makes a huge impact to either team long-term, but it could be helpful to both teams this year. Copeland can't be any worse than Seraphin and gives the Wizards a stretch-4/back-up 3. If Copeland is terrible, the minutes go to Blair/Humphries which is an improvement.

Seraphin gives the Pacers a young big to take a look at. With Scola and West getting up there in years, it could be a long term opportunity if it works out. Given their injury woes, the current season doesn't seem to be the main focus for the Pacers.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#536 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 pm

deneem4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Ridiculous.

so nene must be a REALLY BIG problem...right? and gortat is thr guy that does everything good but nothing the best

I don't understand your point. Who said anything about Nene?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#537 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 pm

theboomking wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:

I third this idea. Sullinger would be great. I really liked watching him in college. He is a good rebounder and passer and a smart basketball player. I don't think we have the ammo to get him though. The celtics will be hanging on to him.

I also redact my Beal for Drummond idea. Drummond has regressed and Beal looks like he will continue to progress. Beal looks like a better player now, and it appears that that gap may only widen with time.

I'd love to have Sullinger. Hey, I can give you a long list of players I'd love to have -- anyone can; goes w/o saying -- but what's the point of this suggestion? The Celts love Sullinger; he's playing 30 minutes a game. Exactly how could we trade for him?

Beal for Drummond won't ever happen, obviously. But Drummond will be a dominating player in the league, I can't see any doubt about that. And, to this point in both their careers, Drummond has been a more effective C than Beal has been a SG.

Hey -- we are talking about a couple of *very* talented young NBA players here! I love Beal, wanted him in the draft, was delighted and relieved (given Ernie) when we picked him. And Drummond was certainly the biggest bargain in that draft at #8.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#538 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:14 pm

wiz get dj, hawes

I like Gortat a lot; always have. Wanted him here when he was first a FA. But, for sure I'd rather have DeAndre Jordan. Another guy I wanted early on. I was sure we could trade down in '08 to get both Batum and Jordan, but that's spilt milk. He's become a tremendous player.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#539 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:23 pm

verbal8 wrote:Why not just deal Seraphin for Copeland? I doubt it makes a huge impact to either team long-term, but it could be helpful to both teams this year. Copeland can't be any worse than Seraphin and gives the Wizards a stretch-4/back-up 3. If Copeland is terrible, the minutes go to Blair/Humphries which is an improvement.

Seraphin gives the Pacers a young big to take a look at. With Scola and West getting up there in years, it could be a long term opportunity if it works out. Given their injury woes, the current season doesn't seem to be the main focus for the Pacers.

I don't like it.

Seraphin has a bit more value on our roster because at least he can fill in at center. Our depth at center is much worse than our depth at PF. Seraphin is the only guy besides Gortat who can protect the rim (I suppose Nene on his spry days). We currently have at least two guys who can play stretch four at least as good as Copeland (Gooden and Pierce), and Humphries can also spread the floor pretty well from midrange.

At this point, the only trade I'd be looking at is one that gets us a waterbug PG like a DJ Augustin or Nate Robinson or Brian Roberts to come off the bench on days when Miller just can't match up defensively. Blair is the guy I'd look to trade. Either that or trade Glen Rice Jr. for a young guy with potential - somebody like Dennis Schroder or Isaiah Canaan.

Right now, the only trade I see that might make sense for both teams would be Blair to Denver for Nate Robinson.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#540 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:26 pm

payitforward wrote:

wiz get dj, hawes

I like Gortat a lot; always have. Wanted him here when he was first a FA. But, for sure I'd rather have DeAndre Jordan. Another guy I wanted early on. I was sure we could trade down in '08 to get both Batum and Jordan, but that's spilt milk. He's become a tremendous player.

The problem with trading for Jordan is that he will be an unrestricted free agent next year and will be looking for a max contract. He's either going to walk or we're going to have to pay him roughly $17M a year. That's a lot of coin for a guy who may not be much better than Gortat (once you get him away from Chris Paul), and it will probably take us out of the Durant sweepstakes.

Return to Washington Wizards