Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,111

Re: Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread 

Post#361 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
nate33 wrote:We don't want Hawes on the books past 2016. Whatever value you think Hawes adds to the team next year, it's not worth the cap hit thereafter.

I think that going into 2016 - and with the cap going up substantially, some of these contracts will look like incredible bargains.

We don't need bargains. We need actual cap room. I want Durant (or Horford, or Love). Hawes' contract will significantly impair those goals. It's not worth it for a guy who will a middling 7th-8th man type of player (assuming he's better than the tire fire we've seen in LA). We just won't need Hawes at $6M a year when we'll already have Humphries at $4.6M. If there's a little extra cap room, it should be used on a guy who can fill other holes: either a backup defensive center for Gortat, or one more reliable wing who can backup the 1 and 2, or the 2 and 3.

I would do it... and then trade him the following season when Nene leaves. I don't think his value would go down and he could be easily traded.

Edit: better options could become available... but Nene needs to be paired with a stretch 4 (or traded), IMO.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,909

Post#362 » by payitforward » Wed May 27, 2015 2:46 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Percentages on:
1) PP stays with the Wizards
2) PP goes opts out and goes to another team
3) PP opts in to get traded to another team
4) PP retires

I would think that 1&3 are our best options. Wouldn't mind 3 for Hawes. If Gooden returned it would set our FC.

Gortat/Humphries, Hawes/Nene, Blair/Gooden. Or, replace Gooden with a draft pick. Then we could spend our energy chasing wings.

Not sure what "best" means. At his salary, Pierce was an extraordinary bargain this year -- and that's just productivity! Let alone the fun of having him be a Wizard, and let alone any learn-by-example lessons he imparted.

Now, of course he may decline next season, but I'm not counting on that. And if not, how could it be good to trade him? As to Hawes, I don't see why we would want him at all, definitely not for Paul Pierce.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,111

Post#363 » by dckingsfan » Wed May 27, 2015 2:50 pm

payitforward wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Percentages on:
1) PP stays with the Wizards
2) PP goes opts out and goes to another team
3) PP opts in to get traded to another team
4) PP retires

I would think that 1&3 are our best options. Wouldn't mind 3 for Hawes. If Gooden returned it would set our FC.

Gortat/Humphries, Hawes/Nene, Blair/Gooden. Or, replace Gooden with a draft pick. Then we could spend our energy chasing wings.

Not sure what "best" means. At his salary, Pierce was an extraordinary bargain this year -- and that's just productivity! Let alone the fun of having him be a Wizard, and let alone any learn-by-example lessons he imparted.

Now, of course he may decline next season, but I'm not counting on that. And if not, how could it be good to trade him? As to Hawes, I don't see why we would want him at all, definitely not for Paul Pierce.

Agreed! 1) would be best...
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#364 » by hands11 » Tue Jun 2, 2015 3:04 am

Come back Paul..

You have unfinished business here. Come back and bring a friend.

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,883

Post#365 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jun 5, 2015 10:24 pm

Click to read the rest
http://www.washingto...841433524283747

Paul Pierce sort of sounds like he’s not done with the Wizards quite yet

But Pierce broke his silence this week with an appearance on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio. Pierce told hosts Ben Lyons and Ryan Duffy on “The Players Tribune” show that he’ll be making his decision in the next couple of weeks, but when asked about the end of this season, he sure sounded like a Washington Wizard.

“Man, it was a good run,” Pierce began. “We really have a really good young team, and a couple budding superstars. It was tough. It especially really hurt us when John [Wall] broke his hand. Even though he came back, that really kind of hurt our rhythm, because we [were] playing so well. We felt like we were the better team if we had stayed healthy, but we lost some heartbreaking games.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,452

Post#366 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 5, 2015 11:14 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Click to read the rest

But Pierce broke his silence this week with an appearance on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio. Pierce told hosts Ben Lyons and Ryan Duffy on “The Players Tribune” show that he’ll be making his decision in the next couple of weeks, but when asked about the end of this season, he sure sounded like a Washington Wizard.

“Man, it was a good run,” Pierce began. “We really have a really good young team, and a couple budding superstars. It was tough. It especially really hurt us when John [Wall] broke his hand. Even though he came back, that really kind of hurt our rhythm, because we [were] playing so well. We felt like we were the better team if we had stayed healthy, but we lost some heartbreaking games.

I don't think he's going to stay. The fact is, when you've already accomplished what Paul Pierce has accomplished, you're not going to keep playing unless you really think you're going to win a championship. There's no doubt that we have a good situation for him here where he can be a valuable contributor without having to log heavy minutes, but the Clippers offer an actual shot at a title. We can't offer that.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#367 » by fishercob » Sat Jun 6, 2015 1:15 am

nate33 wrote:

I don't think he's going to stay. The fact is, when you've already accomplished what Paul Pierce has accomplished, you're not going to keep playing unless you really think you're going to win a championship. There's no doubt that we have a good situation for him here where he can be a valuable contributor without having to log heavy minutes, but the Clippers offer an actual shot at a title. We can't offer that.

He may leave, but I disagree with your reasoning. Players like Pierce often keep playing for the love the game, the camaraderie, the joy of mentoring younger players -- lots of reasons. Money too. If Pierce had just wanted to win a title he would have signed with a contender for the minimum last summer.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

Post#368 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jun 6, 2015 5:17 am

nate33 wrote:

After listening to that interview, I come away with the opposite impression.

He had a lot of present tense in that interview. Saying "we have a really good young team" and speaking glowingly of "our budding superstars"

That doesn't sound like a guy who's bolting if he decides to play. I'm sure he still talks to Doc but the Clippers have zero depth on the wings. And only the mini mid level and veteran minimum to get better there.

Plus, he can't play big minutes at the 3 anymore. He's a 25 MPG player in the regular season.
hands11
Banned User

Post#369 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 6, 2015 5:07 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:

He may leave, but I disagree with your reasoning. Players like Pierce often keep playing for the love the game, the camaraderie, the joy of mentoring younger players -- lots of reasons. Money too. If Pierce had just wanted to win a title he would have signed with a contender for the minimum last summer.

Agreed.

There is always talk of players like Paul walking away before they have too but at the end of the day, most usually play until they can't and even while they might take less money, they still want to keep cashing those checks. 5M is 5M. I doubt Paul signs anywhere for vet min like MJ did when he thought he would be part of the Wizards ownership team in the future. KG might do that in MIN though.

Vince Carter is signed two more years at $4,088,019 $4,264,057 and he is 38 as of Jan.
Duncan made $10,361,446 last year and will sign another contract this year. He was 39 as of April
Paul will be 38 in Oct with a player option of $5,543,725 next year.

Expect him to cash that check. He isn't taking less to play.
hands11
Banned User

Post#370 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 6, 2015 5:15 pm

Paul will continue to climb those all time lists that goes to legacy. 20 years from now those HOF players want their names as high as possible. Specially if you don't have 3 rings next to your name.

I expect him to play 2-3 more years in line with his piers Carter, Duncan, KG.

He is 1583 from being a top 10 scorer.

He scored 868 pts in 73 games at 26.2 mins last year so top 10 is in reach for him if he plays it out.

Next year alone should get him past Kevin Garnett, John Havlicek, George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins, Oscar Robertson and he will be in a neck and neck with Duncan until Duncan retires.. Duncan at 25974. Paul at 25899 with Duncan adding 1070 pts last year and Paul adding 868 pts

Also, top 3 in 3 ball made is in reach. He is in a race with Jason Terry 2076 vs Paul 2053
Two more year could also get him top 10 in FTA and top 6 made.

But the all time scoring list is the biggest one to chase.

So the only question is where does he did it not really if.
hands11
Banned User

Post#371 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 6, 2015 5:15 pm

As for titles, well they are really hard to win ( which is why he only has one ) and next year ( injuries with standing ) is going to be even harder then this year. GSW is in year one of their zone. OKC is in their do or die year with KD. SAS was a game away from being 2nd in the West where they would have had a better shot. HOU showed a lot this year and should fill some holes so they are right on the edge. Then their are the Clips.

CLE will come back even stronger and are in year one as well. CHI finally has a new coach and most likely a legit Rose again so they might have a shot.

While I expect a better East next year, the road through the West is still tougher. And again, winning a title is really tough.

So that a lot of what goes into this.

Will he retire ? I doubt it. He is more likely to play until he can't.
Will he take less then he is worth ? I doubt it. Keep cashing those checks.
Will he head West and change teams again for the 3rd time in 3 years ?
Will he head West where the road to a finals is harder ? I don't think he goes to LAC to make less just to be with Doc.

While if he stays here, he continue to climb the stats charts while continuing to leave his legacy through mentoring Wall, Beal and Otto who I believe he believes can take it to another leave. And if he stays in the East he gets to continue to rip out the hearts of TOR fans and duel with LeBron. We should have gotten that WAS vs CLE match up this year. With that Pauls gets to be the big brother in that fight leading his young 3 rising stars. And Kyrie doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy. And Rose has had injury problems. So getting out of the East should still be easier.

Lots of reasons for him to keep playing and lots of reasons to stay where he is at least one more year.

So the other question to that would be, how much will WAS target matching up with CLE, CHI and GSW next year while also targeting 2016 ?

They need to deal with D Green, Barnes, Iggy, Bogut, Festus, LeBron, Tristan, Love, Mozgov.

I think the story of this offseason isn't going to be the draft as much as what they do in FA.
hands11
Banned User

Post#372 » by hands11 » Sun Jun 7, 2015 3:57 am

hands11
Banned User

Post#373 » by hands11 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:15 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYGYurRww-Y[/youtube]
WizWillWin
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#374 » by WizWillWin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Putting Pierce out there as a stretch 4 and starting Otto would be money, and open up the floor for John and Brad
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

Post#376 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:27 pm

If he's smart, he'd stay here and conserve his body for the postseason in the East.

Going to Doc who doesn't even have a true SF on the roster would push his body too much despite the Clippers having CP3 and Blake.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#377 » by keynote » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:07 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jorgeccastillo/status/612393664065703936[/tweet]

? He's not looking for a mult-year deal, so why opt out? He's not going to get more than that from either team that he's rumored to be considering.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#378 » by Earth2Ted » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:10 pm

ESPN saying Pierce is planning on passing on his players option- I'd be pretty surprised if he comes back. My read on body language and just what his hometown, the LA Clippers, and Doc Rivers bring to the table. Doesn't seem like we'll have enough to keep him in DC.

Hopefully the hometown angle will help us with KD next year- I'm a little more optimistic about that than most people here.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,652

Post#379 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:17 pm

There's a reason the Clippers traded Matt Barnes. I'd say there's a slim chance he'll be back. It would be nice to know before the draft though we need frontcourt help whether he returns or not.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,452

Post#380 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:26 pm

FAH1223 wrote:If he's smart, he'd stay here and conserve his body for the postseason in the East.

Going to Doc who doesn't even have a true SF on the roster would push his body too much despite the Clippers having CP3 and Blake.

This is a good point. Also, the Clippers have a better shot at winning a title because they can conceivably win a Finals matchup, but we have a better chance to make it to the Conference Finals because there is only one top notch team in our conference. In DC, Pierce can kick back, play about 15-20 minutes a game for most of the season, take a 5-game break in March, and then ramp it up in February for the playoffs.

Return to Washington Wizards