Post#101 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Bump for the lazy fish... :clown:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Re: 2014-2015 Depth Chart Thread..... 

Post#102 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:29 pm

With Beal back and Webster on the way, I thought it might be worth it to revisit this thread. This is the rotation I'd like to see in an important game:

Code: Select all

First Quarter            Second Quarter
   2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 |2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
PG Wall--------------------|Miller------Wall--------
SG Beal----------Webster---|----Beal----------------
SF Pierce--------Otto------|------------Webster-----
PF Nene------Humphries-----|------------Pierce------
C  Gortat------------Nene--|--------Gortat----------

Wall plays 36. Beal and Gortat play 34. Pierce, Webster and Humphries play 26. Nene plays 24. Otto plays 22. Miller plays 12.

Pierce plays stretch four down the stretch, but Nene is also available to play PF if we need size. When PIerce is at PF, we have strong rebounders at all other positions. When Nene plays center, we have Humphries at PF to help rebound. Nene is on the floor for most of the minutes that Wall sits.

In less meaningful games, we can give some of Humphries' minutes to Blair, Seraphin or Gooden. Temple gets spot duty as a defensive stopper in the backcourt as necessary.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#103 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:21 pm

doclinkin wrote:Bump for the lazy fish... :clown:

Not lazy, just stupid.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#104 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:32 pm

nate33 wrote:With Beal back and Webster on the way, I thought it might be worth it to revisit this thread. This is the rotation I'd like to see in an important game:

SF Pierce--------Otto------|------------Webster-----

Wall plays 36. Beal and Gortat play 34. Pierce, Webster and Humphries play 26. Nene plays 24. Otto plays 22. Miller plays 12.

Pierce plays stretch four down the stretch, but Nene is also available to play PF if we need size. When PIerce is at PF, we have strong rebounders at all other positions. When Nene plays center, we have Humphries at PF to help rebound. Nene is on the floor for most of the minutes that Wall sits.

In less meaningful games, we can give some of Humphries' minutes to Blair, Seraphin or Gooden. Temple gets spot duty as a defensive stopper in the backcourt as necessary.

You read my mind. I was away from the boards for a few days, and wanted to pose this exact question. I like this alot and particularly appreciate you putting together the gameflow piece -- that's more important than the total minutes.

One minor tweak is I'd like to see Otto getting more of Webster's minutes -- both for Otto's developmental purposes and because I think Webster likely needs to be handled with kid gloves. I wonder if they'll even play him on back to backs (awful pun intended). Also, not sure I love Webster only sitting 4 minutes of game action between stints.

I also see that this setup never has Wall, Beal and Otto on the floor together. Is there a way to address that -- and to combine them with Pierce/Gortat? Perhaps allow sub Beal for Otto at the 10 minute mark of the 2Q, then bring Otto back for Webster 4 minutes later.

Man, I like this team.
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#105 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:00 pm

It's tough to meet all of your wishes. I started with the following goals:

Gortat or Humphries on the floor at all times because we need a glass cleaner to pair with guys like Nene, Seraphin and Pierce who can box out but don't rebound well outside of their space.

Wall or Nene on the floor at all times so we have a primary offensive threat. For the most part, it's either Wall against opposing starters or Nene against opposing backups. I also tried to have Beal in the game when Wall sits because I'm uncomfortable with Miller as the only ball handler. Webster doesn't dribble.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#106 » by fishercob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:14 pm

nate33 wrote:It's tough to meet all of your wishes. I started with the following goals:

Gortat or Humphries on the floor at all times because we need a glass cleaner to pair with guys like Nene, Seraphin and Pierce who can box out but don't rebound well outside of their space.

Wall or Nene on the floor at all times so we have a primary offensive threat. For the most part, it's either Wall against opposing starters or Nene against opposing backups. I also tried to have Beal in the game when Wall sits because I'm uncomfortable with Miller as the only ball handler. Webster doesn't dribble.

What about this?

SF Pierce-------Otto-------|----Webster----Otto-----
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#107 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:18 pm

We could do that. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Porter to play in crunch time over a healthy Webster, at least early in the season. But as the season wears on, maybe Wittman well have the confidence in Otto to go with your rotation.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#108 » by LyricalRico » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Hey, you guys forgot about Temple!

:D
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#109 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:13 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Hey, you guys forgot about Temple!

Are you referring to Assistant Coach Garrett Temple? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#110 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:41 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Hey, you guys forgot about Temple!

Temple arguably shouldn't be playing now. He definitely shouldn't play once Webster gets back.

And I say this as a guy who actually likes Temple. I think Temple is a good guy to have as an 11th or 12th man because he is versatile enough to fill in at 3 positions, and he has a specialty role as a defensive stopper so he can be used on defensive possessions late in games or when we are trying to keep starters out of foul trouble. Also, he has a good attitude and he costs the vet minimum. That's pretty much all you can hope for at the end of your bench.

But that doesn't mean he should be in the regular rotation. He's an emergency guy to plug in when there are injuries or foul trouble.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#111 » by Hypnotizer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 am

fishercob wrote:

What about this?

SF Pierce-------Otto-------|----Webster----Otto-----

I would like to see this:

SF Pierce-------Otto-------|----Pierce-----
PF Humphries---------Nene--|-----------Humphries-------
C  Gortat------------KeSera|--------Gortat----------
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#112 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Why would you want to play Seraphin instead of Nenê? Seraphin has been terrible this season. Just as bad, if not worse, than previous years.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#113 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Speaking of Seraphin and centers who do/do not deserve to be getting minutes... What is Blair's PPA from past seasons?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#114 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Speaking of Seraphin and centers who do/do not deserve to be getting minutes... What is Blair's PPA from past seasons?

Last season it was 97.

However, in my preferred rotation, the backup center minutes would go to Nenê. My PF/C rotation would be Gortat, Humphries, Nenê and Pierce with Gooden and Blair as "next man up" guys.

With Nenê out, I'd probably lean toward Blair as the backup center.

Blair   Seraphin
116     20
145     95
144     22
90      35

Here's what their PPA scores look like during their careers. This season, Blair can't get off the bench. Seraphin's PPA is 17. He's been a net negative "producer" in 7 of the 11 games he's appeared in this season. He's rated above average twice; above replacement level 4 times.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#115 » by Hypnotizer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Nivek wrote:Why would you want to play Seraphin instead of Nenê? Seraphin has been terrible this season. Just as bad, if not worse, than previous years.

I don't like heavy minutes for Nene, so in my starting line-up at PF is Kris. Big Brazilian plays 27 minutes per game and it's still too much for him. I would rather see him playing 15-20 and all games in the season, not just 40-50. And if Nene is a substitute, he needs to play with another bench center: KeSera or Blair.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#116 » by fishercob » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:35 am

nate33 wrote:We could do that. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect Porter to play in crunch time over a healthy Webster, at least early in the season. But as the season wears on, maybe Wittman well have the confidence in Otto to go with your rotation.

Bump for Webster's impending return. It's more interesting and tricky because of how Butler has played himself into the rotation. I don't think Randy can do it because I think he thinks Seraphin's good -- but we have to go small and get most of PP's minutes at the 4.

The other thing I really would love to see is to Otto to get more minutes with the starters. He fits beautifully as a 4th/5th option who can shoot open shots, defend and rebound. Again, Witt never would because he's an old boob, but I'd start him and Pierce at the 4 and bring Hump and Nene off the bench. He'll develop faster playing with the one's.

Nate, whatcha got?
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards