ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers want Sam Casell working on deal

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Re: Clippers want Sam Casell working on deal 

Post#81 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 6, 2014 12:18 am

I agree with dandridge 10. Maybe we won't take as many mid-range jumpers with Cassell gone. I think it's a mistake to assume he is a great coach that we lost out on or that he was even a good assistant. In fact I tend to believe he's somewhat stunted the development of both of Wall & Beal with the over reliance on mid-range jumpers. I think Cassell had Wall & Beal play too much like Cassell and not enough to their own strengths.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#82 » by gambitx777 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:46 pm

If there any hope that Harrington takes Cassell's spot. That way we can keep him around and bring in another young PG?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#83 » by dckingsfan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:58 pm

Dat2U wrote:I agree with dandridge 10. Maybe we won't take as many mid-range jumpers with Cassell gone. I think it's a mistake to assume he is a great coach that we lost out on or that he was even a good assistant. In fact I tend to believe he's somewhat stunted the development of both of Wall & Beal with the over reliance on mid-range jumpers. I think Cassell had Wall & Beal play too much like Cassell and not enough to their own strengths.

Violent agreement - if this means that Wittman adds a Newman equivalent on the offensive side - it is probably a blessing in disguise.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#84 » by queridiculo » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:51 pm

The Wizards aren't going to pay a top assistant on that side of the ball, but who knows, maybe they'll pry Unseld Jr. away from the Magic. Would seem like a #soWizards hiring.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#85 » by dckingsfan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:52 pm

queridiculo wrote:The Wizards aren't going to pay a top assistant on that side of the ball, but who knows, maybe they'll pry Unseld Jr. away from the Magic. Would seem like a #soWizards hiring.

You might be right, but why wouldn't they?
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#86 » by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:59 pm

Yeeeeeehawwwwww, Sam's replacement is a guy named Roy Rogers?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2154 ... y%20rogers

Former Nets assistant and seems to be a defensive guy given that he was a PF and coached under Lawrence Frank.
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#87 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 6, 2014 9:49 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Yeeeeeehawwwwww, Sam's replacement is a guy named Roy Rogers?

Former Nets assistant and seems to be a defensive guy given that he was a PF and coached under Lawrence Frank.

I actually remember watching him play for Alabama and thinking he's a very poor man's Juwan Howard. He did not exceed expectations as a player - is the nicest way to put it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#88 » by keynote » Wed Aug 6, 2014 10:09 pm

Coach Rogers might be the right guy to get John Wall to slow down.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#89 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 6, 2014 11:54 pm

Dunno. Roy Rogers was pretty quick on Trigger.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#90 » by JWizmentality » Thu Aug 7, 2014 12:07 am

Who? I am disappoint.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,893

Post#91 » by TGW » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:04 am

JWizmentality wrote:Who? I am disappoint.

Why? You don't like the burger fixings bar? :crazy:
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#92 » by BruceO » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:28 am

apparently he's a good big man coach. I wouldn't judge a players ability to coach based on their playing ability cause most of them sucked. case in point Michael ruffin was coaching someone good recently and I cracked up about it. Can't remember who.

but apparently Roy rogers is pretty coveted ( especially their burgers) if his coaching stints are any indication and the development was his work I think it speaks volumes that he was there during Andre Drummonds development, Greg Monroe, Brook Lopez and again for Mason plumlee.

only person i think can benefit from this move is primarily seraphin
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#93 » by AFM » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:36 am

Nivek is salty they didn't hire him

I can roll with Mr Rogers. Take me to dat neighborhood, i'll be your neighbor baby boy

hashtag long twos hashtag realgm wizboard twerk team hashtag we in here
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#94 » by BruceO » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:43 pm

AFM wrote:Nivek is salty they didn't hire him

I can roll with Mr Rogers. Take me to dat neighborhood, i'll be your neighbor baby boy

hashtag long twos hashtag realgm wizboard twerk team hashtag we in here

I'll quote you, just so you can get a notification
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#95 » by mohammed10 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:58 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Yeeeeeehawwwwww, Sam's replacement is a guy named Roy Rogers?

I dunno. His fast food restaurant chain hasn't done so well. Was Ernie hoping for an extra order of fries? I question this move.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by mohammed10 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:08 pm

OK, so I just checked on this Rogers character...

Apparently, he has two locations in Leesburg, a ton more in Frederick, some in Manassas, and northern Montgomery County.

mohammed10
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by mohammed10 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:10 pm

TGW wrote:
Why? You don't like the burger fixings bar? :crazy:

Makes me want to saunter over there with a Double R burger right now...mmmm

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#98 » by JWizmentality » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:23 pm

I dunno, the last three moves tell me that Ernie has broken out of his leg irons and escaped the basement...and whoever was running the ship before that has skipped town.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#99 » by Dat2U » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:03 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I agree with dandridge 10. Maybe we won't take as many mid-range jumpers with Cassell gone. I think it's a mistake to assume he is a great coach that we lost out on or that he was even a good assistant. In fact I tend to believe he's somewhat stunted the development of both of Wall & Beal with the over reliance on mid-range jumpers. I think Cassell had Wall & Beal play too much like Cassell and not enough to their own strengths.

Violent agreement - if this means that Wittman adds a Newman equivalent on the offensive side - it is probably a blessing in disguise.

To co-sign my point.

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2014/08/sam ... zards.html

“These my guards,” Cassell would say about John Wall and Bradley Beal. He would often play one-on-one games with various Wizards players after practice—part schooling, part just good basketball fun. TAI has filmed Cassell’s court escapades versus the likes of John Wall, JaVale McGee, and Nick Young.

It would be safe to say that Cassell had a profound impact on the development of both Wall and Beal, perhaps even more so with Beal, even though he’s not a point guard like Sam was. Wall’s not a point guard like Sam was, either.

Flip Saunders used to laugh, almost scoff, when asked what John Wall could take from the game of Sam Cassell. Flip before the 2011-12, lockout-shortened season (Wall’s second in the NBA):

“Sam does a good job because he has good knowledge as far as played the position. One thing that’s a little bit different is that Sam played a lot different than these guys. And sometimes you have to talk to Sam because the things he wants them to do, as far as shoot mid-range shots and those type of things, that’s not what their game is. Sam’s speed has definitely never been close to those guys. So that’s one thing we gotta watch out for a little bit. But he’s got a good knowledge of what to look for.”

Of course, Wall and Beal then became a couple of the NBA’s high-volume chuckers from the midrange, averaging 6.4 and 7.1 attempts per game respectively last season, ranked 10th and sixth-most in the league. Wall and Beal also respectively shot 36.6 and 37.1 percent from midrange—the worst two percentages amongst the top 10 in attempts.

Even Flip recognized it early on, but after Flip left... it's apparent that Cassell's influence was huge... maybe to the detriment of Wall & Beal as they've both become overly reliant on a skill that isn't their strength.

Return to Washington Wizards