Wall and Beal cut from Team USA

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Wall and Beal cut from Team USA 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:08 pm

Although I should be sad that their desire to represent their country was thwarted, I have to be a bit happy that our injury risk dropped a bit, especially after the disaster for Paul George.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Re: Wall and Beal cut from Team USA 

Post#2 » by cammac » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:18 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Although I should be sad that their desire to represent their country was thwarted, I have to be a bit happy that our injury risk dropped a bit, especially after the disaster for Paul George.

Raptor Fan
Wall should not have been cut he is a better PG than Lillard and definitely Irving neither have any semblance of defense.
Irving at best is 6th best PG in the East Wall/Lowry,Teague , 80% Rose, 80% Rondo
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,210

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:39 pm

Yeah, not surprised on Beal as he's young, but Wall's a better player than Kyrie. If they wanted the shooting, why not just invite another SG with a good handle? Whatever, it is what it is though, and no injury worries for you guys. Also wanted to say sorry if I've ever come across negatively in any of the gen board threads, I don't mean to, there have just been a lot of OKC bash threads going on and I've tired of them, so trying to debate free agency in 2 years is another topic I'm not really wanting to post about, but end up getting sucked in to. Sorry, you guys seem pretty cool over here, and as I've said there most Thunder fans respect the Wizards. As a peace offering...

Spoiler:
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#4 » by queridiculo » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:46 pm

Wall is not a coach rat face guy, no surprise there.

In light of the Paul George injury it seems like a blessing in disguise, and who knows, maybe it'll give Wall in particular extra incentive to tighten up his game.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#5 » by montestewart » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:53 pm

bondom34 wrote:Yeah, not surprised on Beal as he's young, but Wall's a better player than Kyrie. If they wanted the shooting, why not just invite another SG with a good handle? Whatever, it is what it is though, and no injury worries for you guys. Also wanted to say sorry if I've ever come across negatively in any of the gen board threads, I don't mean to, there have just been a lot of OKC bash threads going on and I've tired of them, so trying to debate free agency in 2 years is another topic I'm not really wanting to post about, but end up getting sucked in to. Sorry, you guys seem pretty cool over here, and as I've said there most Thunder fans respect the Wizards. As a peace offering...

Spoiler:

An outlandish dream like signing Durant is a passable short term opiate. Maybe it actually happens, but I hope they have a backup plan.

PS: Nothing personal re OK. My grandfather was from there and I've spent time all over the state, including seeing the annual Cow Chip Throw in Beaver, surely one of the Seven Wonders of Oklahoma.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,210

Post#6 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:03 pm

montestewart wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Yeah, not surprised on Beal as he's young, but Wall's a better player than Kyrie. If they wanted the shooting, why not just invite another SG with a good handle? Whatever, it is what it is though, and no injury worries for you guys. Also wanted to say sorry if I've ever come across negatively in any of the gen board threads, I don't mean to, there have just been a lot of OKC bash threads going on and I've tired of them, so trying to debate free agency in 2 years is another topic I'm not really wanting to post about, but end up getting sucked in to. Sorry, you guys seem pretty cool over here, and as I've said there most Thunder fans respect the Wizards. As a peace offering...

Spoiler:

An outlandish dream like signing Durant is a passable short term opiate. Maybe it actually happens, but I hope they have a backup plan.

PS: Nothing personal re OK. My grandfather was from there and I've spent time all over the state, including seeing the annual Cow Chip Throw in Beaver, surely one of the Seven Wonders of Oklahoma.

:lol:

To those of you who don't know my little secret.....I became a Thunder fan because of KD, now I'm actually a bigger Westbrook fan but KD and Russ are my two favorite players, I've always had players I followed, then liked the team they were on in the NBA, but have come to like the Thunder organization now after following it for a few years. I've never actually been to Oklahoma...I live in Richmond :P .
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by montestewart » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:20 pm

bondom34 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Spoiler:

To those of you who don't know my little secret.....I became a Thunder fan because of KD, now I'm actually a bigger Westbrook fan but KD and Russ are my two favorite players, I've always had players I followed, then liked the team they were on in the NBA, but have come to like the Thunder organization now after following it for a few years. I've never actually been to Oklahoma…I live in Richmond :P .

Well, when you finally get there, make sure giant praying hands are on the agenda.

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#8 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:27 pm

I took a business trip to OKC a few years back. Even though it was brutal cold (and I had to brave those glass-shard tornadoes barelyawake described so poignantly), I had a good time. The town is Thunder crazy. Which makes sense considering the amount of time they have to spend inside anti-tornado bunkers.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by montestewart » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:43 pm

Nivek wrote:I took a business trip to OKC a few years back. Even though it was brutal cold (and I had to brave those glass-shard tornadoes barelyawake described so poignantly), I had a good time. The town is Thunder crazy. Which makes sense considering the amount of time they have to spend inside anti-tornado bunkers.

Glass-shard tornadoes in Oklahoma are called breezes.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#10 » by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:45 pm

Wait, so is there a second round of cuts coming?
Bullets -> Wizards
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#11 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 8:49 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Wait, so is there a second round of cuts coming?

Yes, they still have 16 players on the roster and that needs to be whittled down to 12.

Most likely Lillard, Hayward, and a few others will be cut in the coming days.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#12 » by pancakes3 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 9:01 pm

Seems needlessly disrespectful to have 2 rounds of cuts.

I'd think (from a nonbiased, non-bitter standpoint) that Irving, Plumlee, Korver, and 1 of Parsons/Faried/Hayward would be cut.
Bullets -> Wizards
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#13 » by Nivek » Wed Aug 6, 2014 9:04 pm

montestewart wrote:
Nivek wrote:I took a business trip to OKC a few years back. Even though it was brutal cold (and I had to brave those glass-shard tornadoes barelyawake described so poignantly), I had a good time. The town is Thunder crazy. Which makes sense considering the amount of time they have to spend inside anti-tornado bunkers.

Glass-shard tornadoes in Oklahoma are called breezes.

This is true. I was trying to use the vocabulary commonly used by the civilized world -- to better communicate conditions on the ground in OKC. Well, in the air too.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 6, 2014 9:36 pm

bondom34 wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Spoiler:

To those of you who don't know my little secret.....I became a Thunder fan because of KD, now I'm actually a bigger Westbrook fan but KD and Russ are my two favorite players, I've always had players I followed, then liked the team they were on in the NBA, but have come to like the Thunder organization now after following it for a few years. I've never actually been to Oklahoma...I live in Richmond :P .

I can identify with that. And speaking of Oklahoma, when I was a little kid (a long time ago), the first football player I paid attention to was Greg Pruitt, the running back for Oklahoma. And because of that, I became a Sooners fan and a year or 2 later - a Cleveland Browns fan when he joined the Browns. To this day, I'm still a bit of a Sooners fan (and have also never been to Oklahoma) - and I hate the Ravens for stealing the Browns - have no interest at all in the current Browns.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#15 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Wed Aug 6, 2014 11:27 pm

I'd have a sigh of relief if I'm a Washington fan. Now you guys have a healthy backcourt who might come out hungry after being cut from a team. Let them use this as a motivation.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#16 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:18 am

Wall and Beal don't have anyone with Team USA to fight for them. If Calipari or Donovan were on that staff, they would have made it. Kyrie & Rose, you can at least make a case for. But **** Mason Plumlee got kept coming off the select team. That tells you what you need to know about this process.

Wall's kind of been in the cold from Day One of his career in terms of his national brand. He made the mistake of signing that first deal with Reebok and basically spent the first four years of his career playing in the dark.
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#17 » by cdouglas » Thu Aug 7, 2014 12:56 pm

SanDavid wrote:I'd have a sigh of relief if I'm a Washington fan. Now you guys have a healthy backcourt who might come out hungry after being cut from a team. Let them use this as a motivation.

I AGREE!!
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#18 » by sfam » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:42 pm

SanDavid wrote:I'd have a sigh of relief if I'm a Washington fan. Now you guys have a healthy backcourt who might come out hungry after being cut from a team. Let them use this as a motivation.

Exactly. This could be the best possible outcome. No more stress fractures late in the season (hopefully) and fraternal motivation that they both were dissed.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#19 » by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:48 pm

sfam wrote:

Exactly. This could be the best possible outcome. No more stress fractures late in the season (hopefully) and fraternal motivation that they both were dissed.

Well.. the BEST possibly outcome is that they shine on the world stage and win gold, guaranteeing a return bid for the 2016 Olympics AND getting through the NBA season injury-free but I do agree with the overall sentiment that missing the cut is generally of insignificant consequence.
Bullets -> Wizards
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#20 » by barelyawake » Thu Aug 7, 2014 7:51 pm

The show that is making Oklahoma famous is "Street Outlaws." Every episode, one of the drivers explains how he spent his children's college fund on his car that he is about to blow-up by racing it down the worst roads in America -- because the citizenry keep voting in politicians who won't fund basic services and keep giving tax cuts to companies who are polluting the state so badly 90% of it is becoming a disaster zone with poisoned drinking water.

Yep. That's Oklahoma in a nutshell. That mixed with Footloose Puritanism.

Return to Washington Wizards