Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Gilbert Arenas is my fav Wizard now 

Post#21 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:25 pm

montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
montestewart wrote:Years ago, I was at a party, and saw a couple I hadn't seen in a few years. I said, "I haven't seen you all in a coon's age," I suppose trying to be folksy (or not). They were a mixed race couple. It was an awkward moment.

It's sometimes complicated balancing respect for others' feelings with sincerity of thought, but that goes for everything, not just race. Recently I was hanging with some friends, and I was the only white there, and the subject of using "African American" versus "black" came up (one of them, fifteen-years of age, had been discussing it in class). I said I use black because it's one syllable versus six, and I'm lazy. It got the desired response.

I think of myself as a (big) black man. African American is too PC. It is used to describe people in America who appear to be from Africa whether either of those are correct. Here in Hawaii I see plenty Samoans or people from Fiji or even an occasional really dart Filipino that would be called African American on sight if they were in the DC Area. They look as black as most African Americans.

I don't think you're lazy for saying black, but then again consider me as the source of that opinion. :lol:

The lazy (inertia, set in my ways, etc) part was mostly a joke. It's more that African American is a narrow and often too precise term. I frequently hear awkward sentences when referring to Africans in the USA (as residents, students, etc), African-Europeans, persons of unknown origin, and the term also excludes people with dark skin (from South Asia, the South Pacific, etc.) that also suffer color based discrimination. I think black is a pretty broadly useful term.

Someday I'll make it to Hawaii, and I'll judge for myself.

Whenever you do make it to the island of Oahu, look me up. I feel like the mayor with the number of different types of people who I know all over the island. I'd love to treat you to coffee on the North Shore or offer you my opinions on the local cuisine and entertainment.

Just be sure to let me know when you're in town, monte. We can talk story.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:12 pm

noworriesinmd wrote:I agree, I hate this PC culture. If you are a racist or ignorant you should be able to express your feelings.

They are able to. What irritates me is when people (not you or anyone else in this thread) use the PC excuse to say hateful things and not expect anyone to react negatively to what they said. It goes both ways - as does basic respect for people. Sometimes people do go overboard being PC, but very often, calling out someone for being PC is a way to try to get away with being disrespectful (at best) to someone else - and justify being an arse.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#23 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Knighthonor wrote:I disagree. Sharpton is a Boule. He deserves every negative remark Gil gave him.

And I disagree with this line of thinking entirely. Whatever category you think Sharpton belongs in, he doesn't "deserve" to have a racist, derogatory slur thrown his way. You may disagree with him (I do on an awful lot of what he says/does). You may dislike him. You may not respect him. That's all fine. But, a racist slur doesn't address anything substantive about anything Sharpton has done or said. It's an expression of contempt based on his ethnic identity -- nothing more.

Crime is an issue, but Black on Black crime is propaganda. There is no such thing as Black on Black Crime.
It's just Crime. White on White crime is higher than Black on Black crime, yet we never hear a word about that.

Black on Black crime is propaganda to demonize black people with a stereotype that we are savage criminals that deserve to be locked away as slaves. Read the 13th amendment which freed the slaves. Notice the part about slavery ending unless considered a criminal. That exception is the reason behind the mass propaganda image damage that we see in the media when fox and Boule members like Sharpton promote that nonsense as if its something unique to Black People.

That media propaganda against Black People, is the same tactic the Nazi used against Jewish people in WW2 era to justify genocide of Jews. United States was one of the Nazi supporters, which we hide in US history classes. Same mindset and same tactics. Propaganda to demonize a group of people's global image to justify Eugenics and Genocidal cleaning of Black People, which we know America has been involved in. In fact, the Nazi got their Anti-Semitism from the United States' ideals. European Jews were seen as enemies of the White Supremacy nation of The Nazis because of their Negro Mulatto background. The Nazi considered a Jew to be a European+Negro. Racial Genocide of black people went that deep that they would even kill Black decedents that LOOK WHITE. So imagine what they did to Black people that can't pass for white. I would be here for hours explaining that. I will leave it at this. Gilbert was spot on for calling a Coon Boule like Sharpton out for taking advantage of more black people that are in a emotional position to be taken advantage of. He been a informant and spy in the black community since the start.

People like him shouldn't be cosigned by black people.

I agree with a lot of this, but it's irrelevant to the issue of whether or not Sharpton "deserved" to have a racist slur used against him, and/or whether Arenas should be praised for using the slur.

To the issues you've raised, I used the term because Arenas did -- he was making arguments about black-on-black crime, and I thought his use of the slur undercut his own points. Your point here is much better than mine: that the whole issue of "black-on-black" crime is a phony one. Reality is that crimes generally occur where people live, and the reality is that blacks tend to live near blacks, whites tend to live near other whites, and so on. So, the entire issue is a distraction. Plus, crime rates have been falling since the 90s.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:46 pm

barelyawake wrote:Sharpton is a liar and a fraud, who can barely speak English. I'm certain that he has threatened protest and legal action should his terrible show ever get cancelled.

I have very little interest in defending Sharpton, but I've heard him preach. As in, we went to a church in DC to see a friend who'd taken a job as music minister there, and Sharpton was the guest preacher. The guy can definitely speak English. Quite well.

The true civil rights leader of our time is DeGrasse Tyson.

I like this line of thinking.

That said, Fox News has been editing everything that Sharpton has said about this incident to spin it as if Sharpton was inciting violence (and he was doing the exact opposite). The hit job they are doing on him is a thousand times worse than anything Sharpton has ever done.

This too.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:This is a great debate!

Al Sharpton is polarizing. You either love him or you hate him. I found myself getting upset with Al Sharpton representing the family of the young man who was IMO murdered by St. Louis police.

Sharpton has become the voice of many inner city folks who feel disenfranchised. I don't like Al's knack for making situations that are already bad enough into powder kegs of emotions between races. I hate Al Sharpton becomes the story. Also, he has not IMO helped the families of Trayvon Martin or Tawana Brawley win their overall goal of justice.

Having said that I see Al Sharpton as a more moderate presence of late. He has toned up physically, and toned down his rhetoric somewhat since he got his national talk show.

As for what Gil said, I love it!

Just to mess with Kevin and others, who are right about the offensive racial epithet. That word though offensive certainly gets Gil's FEELINGS out.

I am not mad at Gil. :)

What's so wonderful about Arenas expressing his feelings in this way? Not every expression of "feelings" is a good one. There are MANY ways for people to express their feelings without resorting to the use of racist slurs.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Nivek
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am disappointed with political correctness. I wish people could use racist terms when they really are racist or when they truly want to be foul. Dont be subtle. When I watch Turner Classic Movies and I see Mickey Rooney dancing in black face I could choose to be offended. But I learned to laugh at how times have changed.

I agree with your disappointment about political correctness, but I don't think this is a case of that. Political correctness gets to the absurd when the chosen term is a false euphemism -- calling someone "differently abled" when they have a physical or mental handicap. No, Johnny is not "differently abled" because he's paralyzed and can't use his legs -- he has a physical handicap. It really is okay to say that.

In this case, Arenas didn't describe Sharpton literally. He used a racist slur with the intention of demeaning and offending. That's not a "political correctness" violation -- it's just being insulting and offensive.

The name Redskins is kinda similar to Coons, if you really think about hard enough.

I say don't think about it laugh about it.

I didn't have to think hard about it at all. I think I may have used that example exactly when I wrote a piece about why the team should change its name.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#27 » by Higga » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:00 pm

I'll always love Gil, as much of a knucklehead as he is. Part of what makes him so endearing is his willingness to say whatever is on his mind and just not give an F about nothin.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Nivek » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
montestewart wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am disappointed with political correctness. I wish people could use racist terms that they really are racist. When I watch Turner classic movies and I see Mickey Rooney dancing in black face I could choose to be offended.

The name Redskins is kinda similar to Coons, if you really think about hard enough.

I say don't think about it laugh about it.

Years ago, I was at a party, and saw a couple I hadn't seen in a few years. I said, "I haven't seen you all in a coon's age," I suppose trying to be folksy (or not). They were a mixed race couple. It was an awkward moment.

It's sometimes complicated balancing respect for others' feelings with sincerity of thought, but that goes for everything, not just race. Recently I was hanging with some friends, and I was the only white there, and the subject of using "African American" versus "black" came up (one of them, fifteen-years of age, had been discussing it in class). I said I use black because it's one syllable versus six, and I'm lazy. It got the desired response.

I think of myself as a (big) black man. African American is too PC. It is used to describe people in America who appear to be from Africa whether either of those are correct. Here in Hawaii I see plenty Samoans or people from Fiji or even an occasional really dart Filipino that would be called African American on sight if they were in the DC Area. They look as black as most African Americans.

I don't think you're lazy for saying black, but then again consider me as the source of that opinion. :lol:

I agree with you on the term "African American." I've seen it get totally absurd -- where an African friend was called "African American." Umm, no -- he's African. Or, perhaps even South African.

But, the racial categories we have in this country are total nonsense. My kids' schools are a great example. Their elementary school was listed as being 87% white. Except, represented at the school were 43 nationalities. Not ethnic backgrounds, but kids who were actually from those countries -- many of them who didn't speak English as their first language (or at all at first, for some). The school was incredibly diverse, except to the bean counters.

My son's high school has drawn LOADS of criticism for not being diverse. The official numbers say the school is roughly 60% Asian and another 34% white. But, walk around the school and there is every color of skin and hair, every shape of eye, every shape of body. To criticize this school for its lack of diversity is preposterous. Walk around the school, talk to the kids -- it's about as diverse as its possible to get. And, it's been a tremendous experience for my son.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#29 » by barelyawake » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 am

Kev, I'm quite sure Sharpton can deliver a speech. However, having watched him on TV for years, often I have noted that he is entirely unable to read a teleprompter with multisylabic words (and seemingly unable to distinguish when he has said something in error). His grammar isn't street, it's kindergarten. He is often unable to grasp complex arguments, and he often resorts to infantile platitudes. Btw, his inability to pronounce ten cent words or formulate intricate thoughts has nothing to do with his race... at all. As I said, I consider Tyson a master of both -- so much so, I believe he will become a hero who helps shape a generation.

I will say one thing, however. Sharpton is usually on the right side of the issues -- as he is with this one.

Return to Washington Wizards