ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Paul Pierce "Like A Boss" Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Re: The Official Paul Pierce "Like A Boss" Thread. 

Post#181 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I am starting to wonder if Wall is just out of touch with reality. He keeps talking big and then laying eggs on the court. A guy who wet the bed in the playoffs should be talking about what he needs to improve on, not telling us how great he is.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#182 » by Dat2U » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:55 pm

tontoz wrote:I am starting to wonder if Wall is just out of touch with reality. He keeps talking big and then laying eggs on the court. A guy who wet the bed in the playoffs should be talking about what he needs to improve on, not telling us how great he is.

Aren't 99% of all multi-million dollar athletes out of touch with reality? IMO you need a massive ego & a healthy dose of overconfidence to be successful among a group of alpha males who are the best athletes in the world.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#183 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Dat2U wrote:
tontoz wrote:I am starting to wonder if Wall is just out of touch with reality. He keeps talking big and then laying eggs on the court. A guy who wet the bed in the playoffs should be talking about what he needs to improve on, not telling us how great he is.

Aren't 99% of all multi-million dollar athletes out of touch with reality? IMO you need a massive ego & a healthy dose of overconfidence to be successful among a group of alpha males who are the best athletes in the world.

No. They have the talent to play in the NBA so that is their reality. If i believed that then i would be out of touch with reality.

But when JR Smith says he is the best 3 point shooter ever, he is out of touch with reality. When Josh Smith continues to believe he can shoot despite years of evidence to the contrary, he is out of touch with reality. Wall calling himself the best pg in the league, as he did publicly last year, was a sign that he is out of touch with reality.

Wall has been talking this mess for 2 years and hasn't come even remotely close to backing it up. Great players are more concerned with their performace than telling everyone how great they are. Wall talks a bigger game than Chris Paul but then gets lit up night after night, throwing the ball away and launching bricks. Time to back it up or stfu.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#184 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Overall, JW has had a pretty good start to this season. Yes, he's had some stinker games but he's also had some 30pt, 10 plus assist games, and I like to think he's also trying to take better care of the ball...meaning fewer turnovers.

I don't worry too much about him talking about being the top PG. It's "talk" and apparently one of the ways he gets himself pumped up. I said in the Mavs game thread that Wall definitely has some mental maturing to do as far as his on court play is concerned. I'm more concerned about that than what he says about himself or what he says to the media.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#185 » by FAH1223 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:34 pm

he's had a couple bad nights defensively

but he's played well enough to win offensively, I've been impressed by some guys with his control of the floor.

Shot selection is slowly starting to suck again though
tontoz
RealGM

Post#186 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:34 pm

What worries me is that Wall might see himself as a go to scorer, which is what MVPs usually are. He isn't that good of a scorer. He takes too many shots and doesn't shoot well. If he sees himself as a MVP type player that means is probably going to continue to take too many bad shots.

What he does best is set up other guys to score.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#187 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
exculpatory wrote:^^^^^
Paul is correct.

John is a great talent who needs to further grow up. His final shot was immature and just plain dumb. Paul or BB should have taken it.

:nod:

Wall talks a lot about being "the head of the snake" but he still makes too many mistakes and bad decisions to be considered a star IMO. Really interested to see how Pierce helps Wall in particular grow over the course of the season.

Paul can clearly help him with that.

What I wonder though is this. When Wall got here is was clearly all about him as the franchise player and building the team around him. And they have. But now Beal is in range and going into year 3. You have a HOFer in Paul. Solid vets in Nene, Gortat, Hump.

At what point does that old language no longer serve the team and it changes to something more like Curry and Klay have. GS is no longer Curry's team. Its him and Klay on pretty equal footing. I guess that happens over the course of this year and when Beal get that big contract.

You can see Beal's confidence and maturity growing all the time. So is his game. His handles are better. So is creating his own shot. Remember when he used to get blocked. You don't see that do often. That drive right into Tyson last game was a MONSTER move. He can even finish at the rim.

And did you hear the fans give it up for him when he got on the floor.

Might be good to hear Wall verbalize this at some point and step back the language about how he is the head of the snake. This snake is becoming more of a Medusa. And that's what you want if you want to have a great team. I guess someone is always the name. You say SAS and you think TD. But that is a total team winning there. I think GS, I think Curry and Klay.

I think that get to what Tonto is saying. Wall needs to understand what he does best and let others do what they do best. And its not even that I have a problem with him taking a last 3. Its just don't do it on a night you are off and with 18 seconds on the shot clock. Not when a 3 isn't needed and not when you are better at driving and dishing.

He had a Big Ball Crawford moment. LOL
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#188 » by exculpatory » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:42 am

Paraphrased from the POTG thread:

Truth was simply brilliant. Told ya there would still be occasional TRUTH MONSTER games - even at age 37. On the second night of a back to back, in only 28 freaking minutes, 25 on 8-16 & 4-5 from 3 & 10Rs qualifies as a " mini-monster game."

Anyone still worried about his 3-4 game slump shooting from 3? LOL.

PS Paul needs 5 points VS Atlanta on Tuesday to pass Jerry West & become the 17th leading scorer in freaking NBA history!

Paul also was very audibly verbal leading the comeback. Kicked ass & took names - including Wall. He is becoming the leader of this team in ONLY 12 mother freaking games.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#189 » by JWizmentality » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:51 am

Like a Boss

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BulletsForever/status/536367269715410945[/tweet]
jeffsays
Rookie
And1: 150

Post#190 » by jeffsays » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 am

All hail the truth!

Sent from my SM-G900P using RealGM Forums mobile app
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#191 » by cdouglas » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:08 pm

I love what Pierce brings to this team. You can see that Wall , Beal and Otter are having fun playing alongside an All Star like Pierce. Pierce idoesn't have this huge ego with the bigger than the coach attitude. He respects and makes the coach's job so much easier. I notice the Cavs Kyrlie and Waiters aren't having as much fun with Lebron as Wall and Beal with Pierce. There appears to be a lot of tension and it doesn't help the situation when the star player disrespects the Coach. Bosh lt it be known that the team is having more fun without Lebron. This post isn't about Lebron but what kind of leadership and the effect Pierce brings to a team.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#192 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:34 pm

cdouglas wrote:I love what Pierce brings to this team. You can see that Wall , Beal and Otter are having fun playing alongside an All Star like Pierce. Pierce idoesn't have this huge ego with the bigger than the coach attitude. He respects and makes the coach's job so much easier. I notice the Cavs Kyrlie and Waiters aren't having as much fun with Lebron as Wall and Beal with Pierce. There appears to be a lot of tension and it doesn't help the situation when the star player disrespects the Coach. Bosh lt it be known that the team is having more fun without Lebron. This post isn't about Lebron but what kind of leadership and the effect Pierce brings to a team.

Tiddlywinks, Scrabble, basketball, cribbage...

I can't think of any game that wouldn't be more fun to play without LeBron.
In Rizzo we trust
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#193 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:35 pm

cdouglas wrote:I love what Pierce brings to this team. You can see that Wall , Beal and Otter are having fun playing alongside an All Star like Pierce. Pierce idoesn't have this huge ego with the bigger than the coach attitude. He respects and makes the coach's job so much easier. I notice the Cavs Kyrlie and Waiters aren't having as much fun with Lebron as Wall and Beal with Pierce. There appears to be a lot of tension and it doesn't help the situation when the star player disrespects the Coach. Bosh lt it be known that the team is having more fun without Lebron. This post isn't about Lebron but what kind of leadership and the effect Pierce brings to a team.

The Truth is so what the doctor ordered for this team regarding leadership.

He can both provide mentorship and cover for Wall at the same time.

He is both the true leader and letting Wall be a leader. He is doing it and setting the bar higher and showing Wall and others the way.

I value that as much or more then what he did on the court last night. But him doing what he did last night just makes the message more powerful because he showed he can still bring it. And we got to see him at some S4 which just gives the team more options. Nene out. Not Otto. No problem.

He is the one that with Randy can get Wall and Beal to the next level. It was a great addition and a great boost to Wall and Beals confident that HE SELECTED THE WIZARDS.

Adding Hump was another great move. And Rasual is working out great. The team is getting deep but still more work to do.

He could have gone lots of places. Its a great honor that he believes in this organization and its young stars so much so they be dedicated his final years, breath, sweat, etc that he wanted to devote that to this team. Like he said, other FA will want to come here. This is a great place to land.

Make no mistake about it. This is stage 4. The TRUTH IS CHASING A TITLE. And so its this team. If you listen, that is what they are saying. They have their goals set high. What does the Truth say ?

" Its wide open. Why not us ? "
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#194 » by exculpatory » Sat Dec 6, 2014 4:20 pm

Cut & pasted from my most recent post on the Celtics board because this stuff belongs here also. Sunday 12/7/2014 is Paul's ONLY visit to Boston this season:

1. Needing only 24 more points, Paul will pass Reggie Miller tomorrow or Monday IRONICALLY VS the Boston freaking Celtics to become the #16 All Time Scorer in NBA history.

2. By the end of this season, he will pass Alex English & catch KG to become #14.

3. By the end of the final & 18th season of his magnificent/illustrious, first ballot HOF career in the spring of 2016 at age 38 1/2, IF he stays healthy, he will pass HONDO (but, sadly, NOT AS A CAREER CELTIC), Nique, Oscar & possibly Hakeem & retire as the TENTH mother **** leading scorer in the history of the mother **** NBA with close to 27 THOUSAND mother **** points.

4. Less well known is the fact that he will ALSO retire with more than 2000 3 point shots made (3 point FG% = 37%) trailing ONLY Ray & Reggie (who will never be passed).

At least, he is playing out his last 2 seasons in the DC area where I can see him play in person as often as I want to after a 25 minute ride on the Metro. You guys realize that Paul chose to finish his career in DC only because I live here - LOL.

The Wizards are a VERY VERY good & deep team with a real chance to compete in the EC finals VS the Cavs, the Bulls or the Raps (currently 13-5) - Wall is a truly spectacular talent, Beal is blossoming into prime Ray Allen, Gortat, Nene & Kris Humphries are an EXCELLENT trio of Bigs, Otto Porter has enormous potential, Rasul Butler is playing out of his mind, & they have a TON of quality vet back-ups like Gooden & Dre Miller.

As far as Paul (at age 37) is concerned during the first 18 games of the season (actually 17 because he was ejected during the first half in 1 game):

1. He is a VITALLY important cog in the Wizards' wheel & a big reason that their record is 13-5. Paul brings the mentorship, moxie, swag, arrogance, & supreme confidence that only a former Super Star, first ballot HOFER can bring. He can & does aggressively get in their faces when they **** up - even the young leaders of the team - Wall & Beal. And they are listening & learning from him every single **** day. He is also teaching them how to close out games as UNDENIABLY & INDISPUTABLY one of the clutchest closers of his generation.

2. With regard to his personal performance on 37 year old legs during the first 18 games, there is good news & not so good news:

On the one hand, he has played a very hard nosed, very unselfish 26 minutes per game averaging 4.9R, 2.3A, 0.6 steals, 0.5 blocks & ONLY 1 TO per game with a PER of about 16. He has played VERY good D in general & actually TOTALLY shut down Kobe on 12/3/14,in the second half - after Kobe had gone off for 20 in the first half VS other defenders.

On the other hand, playing only 26 minutes per game & taking only 10 FGAs per game on 37+ year old legs: 12.5 PPG on 41%, 30%, TS% 54%. He has been scoring mostly going to the hoop & on short Js & at the FT line. His 3 ball has been WAY off & VERY inconsistent. He has mixed in 6/18 games where he scored 15 or greater points (including a 25-10 vintage Truth masterpiece) with a bunch of clunker games where his J - especially his 3-ball was simply not there. (Last season at age 36 in BK, playing only 28 minutes per game & taking only 9 FGAs per game: 13.5 PPG on 45%, 37% & TS% 60%. Indeed, he & JJ led BK to an enormous turnaround after a terrible start. Between 12/1/2013 & the end of the regular season (after his fractured shooting hand had healed as of 12/1/2013), Paul's numbers were off the mother **** charts - 47-48% overall & FORTY freaking % from 3). All that said, when all is said & done, I will wager ANYONE that he will finish this season shooting AT LEAST 45-46% overall & AT LEAST 37-39% from 3.

Last year, it almost brought me to tears watching Paul's tribute & listening to 20K people scream, yell & applaud endlessly. I have watched the You Tube many times since then & shared it with the 3 most important people in my life - my 2 twentysomething drama queen girls & my current GF. On Sunday, there will be a very prolonged ovation - but no ceremony - it will not be the same as last January. However, I for one will be very very emotional. I hope he gives the fans of Boston (most of whom will ALWAYS love him & appreciate what he did for the Boston **** Celtics for 15 seasons) a Truth-like performance.

God Bless, Paul!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

The Official Paul Pierce "Like A Boss" Thread. 

Post#195 » by Induveca » Sat Dec 6, 2014 8:18 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if you were currently stalking Pierce. :)
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#196 » by dobrojim » Sat Dec 6, 2014 8:40 pm

Paul is working out just fine for us and not because he is putting up awesome numbers.
He just works.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Re: The Official Paul Pierce 

Post#197 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Dec 6, 2014 9:40 pm

Induveca wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if you were currently stalking Pierce. :)

okay, this is really funny.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#198 » by exculpatory » Sat Dec 6, 2014 10:26 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
Induveca wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if you were currently stalking Pierce. :)

okay, this is really funny.

Not funny to me. Immature.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,763

Post#199 » by KamikazeK » Sat Dec 6, 2014 10:32 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Like a Boss

What they didn't tell you in that picture is that the fan was a Celtics fan.. :lol:
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#200 » by JWizmentality » Sat Dec 6, 2014 11:00 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Like a Boss

What they didn't tell you in that picture is that the fan was a Celtics fan.. :lol:

Yeah, we knew that. Let us know when she is released so we can put extra security around the arena. :lol:

....dem psycho b*tch eyes tho :eek2:

Return to Washington Wizards