100%
25%

Total votes: 12

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

What percentage of the teams potential has been reached. Now 

Post#1 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 12:39 am

Lets see what fans that follow the team closely think regarding where they are in team development and upside this year give the roster they have.

I had to consolidate some option because there is a poll limit. Hopefully there are enough brackets to get an accurate reading. If there needs to be more, let me know.

Wall is pretty much breaking out. I can't see a lot more he could do other then being consistent with what he is doing over the last two game.

Beal is still getting settled in but looked like he had his first break out game last game. I think he has another year of development before he reaching his 80-85% zone

Hump is setting in. Loved that production last game. He has been solid.

Gortat has looked great lately. Attacking the rim is the right path for him.

Paul and Miller have found his legs but now has an injured toe.

Raual has been found money. Dude has fit awesomely and is tearing it up.

Nene is out. Webster hasn't played yet. Otto is still just finding his legs. He is at like 40% in my book.

Anyway. Break it down and vote based on the team and where they are regarding what could be their maximum output.
milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Re: What percentage of the teams potential has been reached. 

Post#2 » by milellie111 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:09 am

The team is on the brink of becoming dominant. They have to keep it up and really show some consistency against the better western teams. But they are on the right path now.They are incredibly deep which is a key component to dominant championship teams.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#3 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:15 am

Why is there nothing below 45%?
Why does it skip every other 5% increment?
Where's the 110% option?

Come on hands, you have to give this 100%!

PS: Will another top option scorer come to the team via trade, free agency, or draft? Will a young two-way big come to the team via trade, free agency, or draft? Will EG manage to adequately replace the aging players with younger pieces? Will Wittman figure out how to coach offense?

You seem to be looking for an aggregate (maybe a weighted aggregate) of individual numbers, as opposed to a team number. The team will come a lot closer to its potential with Durant and a young two-way big in the lineup, and a better offensive scheme. Much of Wall's talent still seems wasted. A lot depends on EG and RW (or their replacements).
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#4 » by crackhed » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:36 am

imo the team still lacks that go to guy that can create a high % shot out of nothing when a top tier defensive team locks down. that's what counts in the later rounds of the playoffs. i think beal could become that player, nene in the post is servicable. maybe pierce will be the man. but if john's jumper becomes reliable, wizards will make the ecf
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:54 am

The potential of the older guys isn't getting better. The team chemistry with older players can improve, but there's a limit.

Like monte alluded, Durant and/or a young two-way big added to this lineup could really tap into Wall's potential. Beal fits with Wall perfectly, and so does Gortat. My answer is the right trade could really be a game changer for this team.

As it is, this is a good but certainly not great team. There are other rosters with a lot more athletes. More quickness. More young and improving players. This team doesn't have a single superstar. But they do have a star, many stud veterans, a bunch of kick ass type dudes, and the team plays with a chip.

hands, this team with no changes in the roster is limited by Randy's vision of personnel. He's not going to use Blair or Rice and he's going to stick with older guys because it DEFINITELY has been working. I feel like this roster won't be able to beat elite teams because at the end of the day this team goes no further than Wall iso ball in halfcourt. Pierce is too old to carry them night in night out. Butler won't get star calls. Beal is weak defensively at times and he and Wall are still young. I say this team is 85% as good as it can get, with the chance of regressing.

For them to take really take off Otto Porter needs to go full Nicolas Batum. (Thanks, verbal). More minutes. More shots. Otto is an X factor.

A limiting factor is Seraphin. Randy can't see it but the guy is just not a very good player. He has physical skills, though. He really does.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:33 am

crackhed wrote:imo the team still lacks that go to guy that can create a high % shot out of nothing when a top tier defensive team locks down. that's what counts in the later rounds of the playoffs. i think beal could become that player, nene in the post is servicable. maybe pierce will be the man. but if john's jumper becomes reliable, wizards will make the ecf

This is something that comes up not only on this board, but among fans of other teams watching the Wizards play. As CCJ mentioned, Wall, Beal, and Gortat are all great (and Wall and Beal will likely get better) and the team has a good supporting cast, but it's lacking that alpha clutch scorer. I even think Wall could get a little closer to that, but right now, I see no one.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#7 » by AFM » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:36 am

I'd say around 47% due to my patented YODA analysis. PPA was also used. It's all very technical, PM me for the PDF explaining my in depth analyses.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by montestewart » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:46 am

So one person said 85-90% and the other person said 100%, so between 92.5% and 95%. Good to know this is just about the best they'll ever be, until they turn it up to 11.

PS: I was going to ask what Pecentage of Team Potenial meant, but then I recalled that Goggle is my fiend.

Pecentage: gross tonnage of pecans
Potenial: a kind of potato that grows every two years
hands11
Banned User

Post#9 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 6:45 am

montestewart wrote:Why is there nothing below 45%?
Why does it skip every other 5% increment?
Where's the 110% option?

Come on hands, you have to give this 100%!

PS: Will another top option scorer come to the team via trade, free agency, or draft? Will a young two-way big come to the team via trade, free agency, or draft? Will EG manage to adequately replace the aging players with younger pieces? Will Wittman figure out how to coach offense?

You seem to be looking for an aggregate (maybe a weighted aggregate) of individual numbers, as opposed to a team number. The team will come a lot closer to its potential with Durant and a young two-way big in the lineup, and a better offensive scheme. Much of Wall's talent still seems wasted. A lot depends on EG and RW (or their replacements).

What percentage of the teams potential has been reached. Now

Lets see what fans that follow the team closely think regarding where they are in team development and upside this year given the roster they have.
hands11
Banned User

Post#10 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 6:59 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The potential of the older guys isn't getting better. The team chemistry with older players can improve, but there's a limit.

Like monte alluded, Durant and/or a young two-way big added to this lineup could really tap into Wall's potential. Beal fits with Wall perfectly, and so does Gortat. My answer is the right trade could really be a game changer for this team.

As it is, this is a good but certainly not great team. There are other rosters with a lot more athletes. More quickness. More young and improving players. This team doesn't have a single superstar. But they do have a star, many stud veterans, a bunch of kick ass type dudes, and the team plays with a chip.

hands, this team with no changes in the roster is limited by Randy's vision of personnel. He's not going to use Blair or Rice and he's going to stick with older guys because it DEFINITELY has been working. I feel like this roster won't be able to beat elite teams because at the end of the day this team goes no further than Wall iso ball in halfcourt. Pierce is too old to carry them night in night out. Butler won't get star calls. Beal is weak defensively at times and he and Wall are still young. I say this team is 85% as good as it can get, with the chance of regressing.

For them to take really take off Otto Porter needs to go full Nicolas Batum. (Thanks, verbal). More minutes. More shots. Otto is an X factor.

A limiting factor is Seraphin. Randy can't see it but the guy is just not a very good player. He has physical skills, though. He really does.

How do they match up with these guys

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

Both have young PG/SG combos that are mentioned when best back courts are brought up. GS's clearly has more experience as they are older but in time, Wall and Beal could become elite.

Both have a $12,289,544 vet that comes off the bench.. expecting the Nene does when he returns.

Bigs..Andrew Bogut vs Gortat

Look over the rosters
http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/nam ... e-warriors

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/nam ... on-wizards

With Rasual busting out as the back up SG and Beal starting to hit stride, I think if this team keeps gelling, they could give GS a run for their money. We play them twice this year..

Tue, Feb 24
Mon, Mar 23

Wizards should be in full swing by them. Looking forward to it.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,944

Post#11 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 5, 2014 7:39 am

I say the team is 90% of the potential has been reached with this current roster because-
1.at this point they are in first place in division and conf- 1st place!
2. They are getting all they are going to get out of Wall. If he gets any better I suspect it will be marginally. I believe he is a top 5 point already. who cares what you or I think and how you or I stack rank the top 5 because there are only two point guards that are absolutely better than wall- (curry and Paul). The rest of the top point guards all have their strengths and weaknesses but they are all great. wall is in the league with the other great points in the NBA-
3. As good as wall is, he is our best player and he isn't good enough to lead us to a championship as the best player on the team.
4. I think Wittman is an average coach at best. There are probably 15 coaches better than Wittman. Sometimes it appears like we just need Wittman to not mess it up.
5.the vets are very old- they have experience but it's like we have a athletic young squad and another OLD methodical squad. The old guys are probably going to get "old" fast and it may show on back to back games as the year progresses. which is going to tax the young guys and test wittmans coaching/rotation management. I also worry that the young guys won't mature into truly great players before the old guys are over the hill. This is going to be an interesting! Can we get enough out of young core before our old bench is too old to truly contribute?????

6. Is Beal a allstar? I don't think there is a question anymore on which team has the best backcourt. golden state. I Think or thought Beal had a chance to be the best 2 guard in the league and if he did we would have the best backcourt in the league. Wall isn't curry but has almost as much of a positive impact on the game and Klay is good but isn't Great (imo) so if beal was great we would be overall Better than golden state. My point is we need to see beal grow into our best scorer.

7.at this age Pierce is going to be inconsistent and that's just the way it is.

8. Gortat, nene and the bigs are giving us what we can expect all year. I know nene is hurt- but the fact is that's what we can expect from him 40-60% of the time. Let's just hope he is avialible in the playoffs. Gortat is going to be inconsistent- it depends on the match up. seraphim is what he is. Humpries is playing good- you think he can do better than 20 rebounds???-

9. The wiz are beating the teams they should beat. They are not playing down to the competition or up to their competition. They appear to be playing their game.

10. Otto is the only wildcard. If he gets significantly better we could be significantly better. This would allow Pierce to rest and be ready for playoffs. Which would also allow beal and wall to get more rest over the year by handling the bulk of the bench scoring.
Wizkids12345
Junior
And1: 465

Post#12 » by Wizkids12345 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 1:14 pm

If you're talking about this season I think were at 85%.

For next season, our improvement will come from otto and beal. I think john is what he is right now (around 18-19ppg and around 9 assists per game, which is amazing) and we will continue be more efficient as the years go by ( better ts% and less turnovers).

We still haven't seen a lot of beal settled in and he still could have a breakout 3rd year season like a lot of other players. We will see were he is at as the season goes on.

Otto is the one guy that could breakout next year. He needs to learn to continue to be aggressive while he is on the court at all times. I still think he can get too passive and not attack off closeouts john and brad give him. Time will tell.
Swaggy P is too mainstream now
crackhed
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#13 » by crackhed » Fri Dec 5, 2014 1:46 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:For them to take really take off Otto Porter needs to go full Nicolas Batum. (Thanks, verbal). More minutes. More shots. Otto is an X factor.

Otto is indeed an important factor and let's not forget this is his rookie season. very impressed w/his game - cerebral and able to do many things on the court others don't do due to his unique combination of size, athleticism and touch.

in 2 yrs i think the trio of wall, beal and porter will be legit - especially if john's j becomes legit
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the kind of man I am"
H. Simpson
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#14 » by fishercob » Fri Dec 5, 2014 2:37 pm

math fail.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#15 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 3:11 pm

CobraCommander wrote:I say the team is 90% of the potential has been reached with this current roster because-
2. They are getting all they are going to get out of Wall. If he gets any better I suspect it will be marginally. I believe he is a top 5 point already. who cares what you or I think and how you or I stack rank the top 5 because there are only two point guards that are absolutely better than wall- (curry and Paul). The rest of the top point guards all have their strengths and weaknesses but they are all great. wall is in the league with the other great points in the NBA-
3. As good as wall is, he is our best player and he isn't good enough to lead us to a championship as the best player on the team.
4. I think Wittman is an average coach at best. There are probably 15 coaches better than Wittman. Sometimes it appears like we just need Wittman to not mess it up.
5.the vets are very old- they have experience but it's like we have a athletic young squad and another OLD methodical squad. The old guys are probably going to get "old" fast and it may show on back to back games as the year progresses. which is going to tax the young guys and test wittmans coaching/rotation management. I also worry that the young guys won't mature into truly great players before the old guys are over the hill. This is going to be an interesting! Can we get enough out of young core before our old bench is too old to truly contribute?????

6. Is Beal a allstar? I don't think there is a question anymore on which team has the best backcourt. golden state. I Think or thought Beal had a chance to be the best 2 guard in the league and if he did we would have the best backcourt in the league. Wall isn't curry but has almost as much of a positive impact on the game and Klay is good but isn't Great (imo) so if beal was great we would be overall Better than golden state. My point is we need to see beal grow into our best scorer.

8. Gortat, nene and the bigs are giving us what we can expect all year. I know nene is hurt- but the fact is that's what we can expect from him 40-60% of the time. Let's just hope he is avialible in the playoffs. Gortat is going to be inconsistent- it depends on the match up. seraphim is what he is. Humpries is playing good- you think he can do better than 20 rebounds???-

9. The wiz are beating the teams they should beat. They are not playing down to the competition or up to their competition. They appear to be playing their game.

10. Otto is the only wildcard. If he gets significantly better we could be significantly better. This would allow Pierce to rest and be ready for playoffs. Which would also allow beal and wall to get more rest over the year by handling the bulk of the bench scoring.

I agree with everything except the part about Gortat being inconsistent. I think Gortat is our most consistent player.

Wall is probably at or very near his peak. Beal is really our only hope for significant improvement. Beal is either going to break out this year or he is going to level off and be roughly what he is today: a pretty good, borderline-All Star player but not a franchise player by any stretch. Otto will surely improve some over the next 2 years, but it'll happen as Pierce regresses, so I don't really see much team upside there.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#16 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 3:54 pm

nate33 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:I say the team is 90% of the potential has been reached with this current roster because-

I agree with everything except the part about Gortat being inconsistent. I think Gortat is our most consistent player.

Wall is probably at or very near his peak. Beal is really our only hope for significant improvement. Beal is either going to break out this year or he is going to level off and be roughly what he is today: a pretty good, borderline-All Star player but not a franchise player by any stretch. Otto will surely improve some over the next 2 years, but it'll happen as Pierce regresses, so I don't really see much team upside there.

If Otto improves, you don't think he'll be better than current Pierce? We will be much better when he takes over from Paul.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,944

Post#17 » by CobraCommander » Fri Dec 5, 2014 3:55 pm

nate33 wrote:

Gortat- 5 single digit scoring games--- more than 5 or less than 7 rebound games- - with nene out in those games we need gortat crushing it- either way I love the Polish Hammer! I didn't mean to disrespect the center of the 1st team team in east!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#18 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:22 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:If Otto improves, you don't think he'll be better than current Pierce? We will be much better when he takes over from Paul.

No. I don't.

Current Pierce is still a solid, starting-caliber player - maybe the 15th-20th best SF in the league. I don't think it's likely that Otto will be much better other than being able to log more minutes than Pierce's 27 per game.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#19 » by MJG » Fri Dec 5, 2014 4:30 pm

It's pretty high up there, maybe close to 95%. With no major changes to the current roster, I think improvements of the young will mostly be offset by the decline of the old over the next couple of years. I could go down to the next option if I thought there was a chance of Wittman being fired and replaced with a coach who encourages Wall's strengths rather than his weaknesses, but that's about the best I can do.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#20 » by fishercob » Fri Dec 5, 2014 5:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:If Otto improves, you don't think he'll be better than current Pierce? We will be much better when he takes over from Paul.

No. I don't.

Current Pierce is still a solid, starting-caliber player - maybe the 15th-20th best SF in the league. I don't think it's likely that Otto will be much better other than being able to log more minutes than Pierce's 27 per game.

Porter is 21 and in his first real year of action. He's putting up a WS/48 of .133. Pierce's is .138.

Here's a list of first and second year players, under 22 who have put up a WS/48 between .125 and .140.

When you limit it to just rooks or just 21 year olds, the list gets more impressive. Someone who doesn't qualify for any of those lists is Trevor Ariza, by the way. I think Otto is going to be a very, very good player in 4-5 years -- perhaps sooner. Hell, he's basically as productive as Pierce and Ariza are now per-minute. He needs more PT.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards