ImageImageImageImageImage

Open Roster spot : 2015 in-season free agency thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Re: Open Roster spot : 2015 in-season free agency thread 

Post#141 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:For a midseason pickup that they might actually end up needing in the playoffs, I think it makes sense to get a veteran over a D League guy. They can - and have - done worse than Bynum. At 32, he's practically a kid compared to some of EG's acquisitions.

We don't need more old guys, we need players who can play!
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,188

Post#142 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:30 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
AFM wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Veteran. Plus, they got "nos" from Gary Payton and John Stockton.

How has Bynum rated in your stuff? Specifically how much of an upgrade over miller?
I remember last year he always went off on us

Not very well. His career best PPA was a 68, which he did in back-to-back seasons -- 2008-09 and 2009-2010. He followed that up with a 67 in 2010-11. Last season, he posted a 50. So, his career peak is solidly below what Miller has done this season.

In other words, no upgrade at all. Probably not even over Temple at this point. Just a guy.

Damn.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,166

Post#143 » by AFM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:44 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
AFM wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Veteran. Plus, they got "nos" from Gary Payton and John Stockton.

How has Bynum rated in your stuff? Specifically how much of an upgrade over miller?

Not very well. His career best PPA was a 68, which he did in back-to-back seasons -- 2008-09 and 2009-2010. He followed that up with a 67 in 2010-11. Last season, he posted a 50. So, his career peak is solidly below what Miller has done this season.

In other words, no upgrade at all. Probably not even over Temple at this point. Just a guy.

Yeesh, thats surprising.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,223

Post#144 » by MikeTheKid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Bryce Cotton please................
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#145 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 pm

AFM wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
AFM wrote:How has Bynum rated in your stuff? Specifically how much of an upgrade over miller?

Yeesh, thats surprising.

Well, not all that surprising. He's a career 28% shooter from 3pt range. His best percentage was last season -- .323. And he's a career .465 2pt shooter. He gets assists at a decent rate, but is a turnover machine. And he fouls a lot for a guard. He never reached average in offensive efficiency, even for a single season. His PER seems to be fattened by the efficiency flaw that rewards players for shooting the ball more often so long as they make ~30%.

Strengths? Pretty good free throw shooter.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,534

Post#146 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Will Bynum....................... WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not Tim Frazier, not David Stockton, not Bryce Cotton, not Seth Curry. . . . . But Will ****ING Bynum..............

Of course not.

This front office doesn't care in developing young players. It's quite obvious.

EG's pattern for running this team is very predictable - look around for "value" vets, it requires the least amount of effort.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#147 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:13 pm

closg00 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Will Bynum....................... WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not Tim Frazier, not David Stockton, not Bryce Cotton, not Seth Curry. . . . . But Will ****ING Bynum..............

Of course not.

This front office doesn't care in developing young players. It's quite obvious.

EG's pattern for running this team is very predictable - look around for "value" vets, it requires the least amount of effort.

Not that I'm much of a Grunfeld defender, but...in his defense, signing value vets has been a better strategy the past few years than the previous one of identifying and developing young players.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,534

Post#148 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Feint praise TSW but I guess you're right. Cross your fingers on FA signings cause look at how he uses draft assets.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,365

Post#149 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:40 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
AFM wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:

Yeesh, thats surprising.

Well, not all that surprising. He's a career 28% shooter from 3pt range. His best percentage was last season -- .323. And he's a career .465 2pt shooter. He gets assists at a decent rate, but is a turnover machine. And he fouls a lot for a guard. He never reached average in offensive efficiency, even for a single season. His PER seems to be fattened by the efficiency flaw that rewards players for shooting the ball more often so long as they make ~30%.

Bummer. I didn't realize he was such a bad 3-point shooter. I was lukewarm about the idea when I first heard it. Now I'm not.

I'd like a Will Bynum type of player (small, quick, skilled), but preferably someone much better than Bynum himself.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#150 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 pm

If Bynum was worth having, he would be on a NBA team and not 32 years old playing in China. Bring in a young guy, what are you afraid of, 10 day contract give him minutes and see what he's got, if he plays well you sign him for 3 years 900K and at worst you have a guy waiting to be cut for pocket change and at best you have a productive bench player for almost nothing. Not a 32 year old whos going nowhere! We have enough vet's, we now need talent, I don't care about the age, we need talent and Will Bynum is a scrub. his China number look nice by nba standards or D league standards, but in china, his number are barley average. 50% of the guys in China would not be able to make a division 3 college team. The rest are guys who could not even hack in in the D league let alone the NBA and a small percentage of them are NBA cast off's or young prospects waiting for a chance.

Will Bynum putting up average China guard numbers is nothing worth writing home about.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#151 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:10 pm

C'mon, Bynum is the Jordan of China.

Well, it sounded better than saying he's the Chinese Yao Ming.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,166

Post#152 » by AFM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:
AFM wrote:Yeesh, thats surprising.

Bummer. I didn't realize he was such a bad 3-point shooter. I was lukewarm about the idea when I first heard it. Now I'm not.

I'd like a Will Bynum type of player (small, quick, skilled), but preferably someone much better than Bynum himself.

Nate Robinson?
Why are we not looking at him...
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Post#153 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 pm

It's late January and the season is more than half over. At this point, the Zards are not looking to fill that last roster spot with a young guy they can "develop." The team is shopping for a proven talent who can step in and contribute the rest of the season and into the playoffs. Whether that guy is Allen, Bynum, Nate Robinson or someone else is an open question, but there's no doubt it's the right strategy for a team hoping to make some noise in the postseason.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#154 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:49 pm

gambitx777 wrote:If Bynum was worth having, he would be on a NBA team and not 32 years old playing in China. Bring in a young guy, what are you afraid of, 10 day contract give him minutes and see what he's got, if he plays well you sign him for 3 years 900K and at worst you have a guy waiting to be cut for pocket change and at best you have a productive bench player for almost nothing. Not a 32 year old whos going nowhere! We have enough vet's, we now need talent, I don't care about the age, we need talent and Will Bynum is a scrub. his China number look nice by nba standards or D league standards, but in china, his number are barley average. 50% of the guys in China would not be able to make a division 3 college team. The rest are guys who could not even hack in in the D league let alone the NBA and a small percentage of them are NBA cast off's or young prospects waiting for a chance.

Will Bynum putting up average China guard numbers is nothing worth writing home about.

We have one roster spot left this season, I would much rather pick up a proven guard who will help us in the playoffs than an unproven kid who's going to screw up in big games.

We probably should have kept Clarkson and cut Gooden in training camp but that's not relevant right now. Currently this team needs an established guy like Nate, Farmar, etc. Both of those guys have championship/finals experience.

EG is 'getting warmer' but Bynum is not the guy. Basically someone like him but who can shoot threes is what we need.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#155 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:50 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:If Bynum was worth having, he would be on a NBA team and not 32 years old playing in China. Bring in a young guy, what are you afraid of, 10 day contract give him minutes and see what he's got, if he plays well you sign him for 3 years 900K and at worst you have a guy waiting to be cut for pocket change and at best you have a productive bench player for almost nothing. Not a 32 year old whos going nowhere! We have enough vet's, we now need talent, I don't care about the age, we need talent and Will Bynum is a scrub. his China number look nice by nba standards or D league standards, but in china, his number are barley average. 50% of the guys in China would not be able to make a division 3 college team. The rest are guys who could not even hack in in the D league let alone the NBA and a small percentage of them are NBA cast off's or young prospects waiting for a chance.

We have one roster spot left this season, I would much rather pick up a proven guard who will help us in the playoffs than an unproven kid who's going to screw up in big games.

We probably should have kept Clarkson and cut Gooden in training camp but that's not relevant right now. Currently this team needs an established guy like Nate, Farmar, etc. Both of those guys have championship/finals experience.

EG is 'getting warmer' but Bynum is not the guy. Basically someone like him but who can shoot threes is what we need.

I would rather have older low miles Pablo Prigioni for a 2nd

5 Teams Who Should Trade for New York Knicks' Pablo Prigioni
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2342 ... oni/page/5

They have use 2nd out of 5 teams.

The WIzards have a trade exception it can use to take in Prigioni's salary and has second-round picks to offer, starting in 2016.

Cleveland Cavaliers
Washington Wizards
Detroit Pistons
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks

Though only a year younger than Miller, Prigioni's age hasn't begun to show in his play, taking on significant roles in each of his three NBA years, and his shooting clips have only dipped a bit this season playing with significantly lesser teammates.

t's been two years since Prigioni had the opportunity to appear in the postseason, but in 2013 he was one of the most reliable Knicks over their 11 games. He shot 43 percent from behind the arc, and New York was a whopping 19.9 points per 100 plays better with him on the floor.

Prigioni may be four years older than the second-oldest Knick, but his average on-court speed of 4.5 miles an hour is the fastest on the club, according to SportVU player-tracking technology.

His anticipation, particularly in the backcourt—where he’s made an art of pickpocketing opponents on inbound plays—has led to a team-high 3.4% steal rate this season.

The space created by his screens, and by his passing, help explain how the Knicks, in this train wreck of a season, have managed to score 114 points per 100 plays—a rate that would easily lead the league—when Prigioni and Anthony are on the court together,

Among the 46 duos that have played at least 200 minutes for the Knicks, Prigioni and Anthony’s +7.8 point differential is the highest.

Prigioni would presumably help bring out the best of center Andre Drummond in the pick-and-roll, as he's struggling from the field this year. ...... Well how about PnR with Gortat ?

Adding a player who thrives off the ball. Could play him at SG as well with Wall.

For a team looking to finally find its groove offensively, adding a player with Prigioni's intangibles—vision, ball-moving, screen setting—would be worth the minimal cost.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#156 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 am

hands11 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

The WIzards have a trade exception it can use to take in Prigioni's salary and has second-round picks to offer, starting in 2016.

Cleveland Cavaliers
Washington Wizards
Detroit Pistons
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks

Though only a year younger than Miller, Prigioni's age hasn't begun to show in his play, taking on significant roles in each of his three NBA years, and his shooting clips have only dipped a bit this season playing with significantly lesser teammates.

t's been two years since Prigioni had the opportunity to appear in the postseason, but in 2013 he was one of the most reliable Knicks over their 11 games. He shot 43 percent from behind the arc, and New York was a whopping 19.9 points per 100 plays better with him on the floor.

Prigioni may be four years older than the second-oldest Knick, but his average on-court speed of 4.5 miles an hour is the fastest on the club, according to SportVU player-tracking technology.

His anticipation, particularly in the backcourt—where he’s made an art of pickpocketing opponents on inbound plays—has led to a team-high 3.4% steal rate this season.

The space created by his screens, and by his passing, help explain how the Knicks, in this train wreck of a season, have managed to score 114 points per 100 plays—a rate that would easily lead the league—when Prigioni and Anthony are on the court together,

Among the 46 duos that have played at least 200 minutes for the Knicks, Prigioni and Anthony’s +7.8 point differential is the highest.

Prigioni would presumably help bring out the best of center Andre Drummond in the pick-and-roll, as he's struggling from the field this year. ...... Well how about PnR with Gortat ?

Adding a player who thrives off the ball. Could play him at SG as well with Wall.

For a team looking to finally find its groove offensively, adding a player with Prigioni's intangibles—vision, ball-moving, screen setting—would be worth the minimal cost.

Prigioni is too slow, better than Miller but he's another slow methodical guy who doesn't push the pace.

Mo Williams, Nate, Jameer Nelson, Farmar - simple. Any quick combo guard who can shoot threes
hands11
Banned User

Post#157 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 am

Wizardspride wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/jorgeccastillo/status/555899329161228288[/tweet]

Yeah, well when we were interested two years ago he gave us the cold shoulder and held out for what he though was a better team.

That's how we ended up with Fart.

Screw Nate.

Never wanted him here anyway.

Sorry dude. But I hear the Lakers, MIN, PHI, ORL and NY might have openings.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#158 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 am

Well Bynum has his flaws. at least he still has jets. We have nobody to push the ball when Wall sits and Bynum would at least fit that role. This is all mere speculation but the good news is that at least the front office realizes that the 2nd unit is not getting it done and Miller is the main problem. And it's not that Andre is a terrible player. He's just too slow for our pace.
hands11
Banned User

Post#159 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
hands11 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:We have one roster spot left this season, I would much rather pick up a proven guard who will help us in the playoffs than an unproven kid who's going to screw up in big games.

Cleveland Cavaliers
Washington Wizards
Detroit Pistons
Miami Heat
Milwaukee Bucks

Prigioni is too slow, better than Miller but he's another slow methodical guy who doesn't push the pace.

Mo Williams, Nate, Jameer Nelson, Farmar - simple. Any quick combo guard who can shoot threes

Prigioni is a active player. He isn't slow. He is actually quick with good instincts on steal and a good teammate that share the ball and shoot the 3 well.

average speed
Prigioni 4.5 same as a Jodie Meeks, Jose Juan Barea, Kirk Hinrich. Danny Green. Zeller, Patrick Beverley. Aaron Gordon
His distance traveled per 48 is 3.6 which is good.

All those players a listed top 20-25 in the league for average speed. They have motors.

Mo Williams 4.0
Jameer Nelson 4.3
Farmar 4.3
Nate ??

Bradley Beal 4.4
Otto Porter 4.4
Kyle Korver 4.3

Next :wink:

Granted. Just a piece of data for average pace. Wall for example is 4.0. Clearly he is fast but he does walk the ball up a lot.

This was an interesting find... Blair 3.6 ranked 5th from last
hands11
Banned User

Post#160 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:45 am

80sballboy wrote:Well Bynum has his flaws. at least he still has jets. We have nobody to push the ball when Wall sits and Bynum would at least fit that role. This is all mere speculation but the good news is that at least the front office realizes that the 2nd unit is not getting it done and Miller is the main problem. And it's not that Andre is a terrible player. He's just too slow for our pace.

I think it clear they realize it.

They have been in rumor for Nelson as well .. right ?

Something is way more likely to happen then nothing. Its why the let Glen go.

Trading deadline is coming up soon.

As for Bynum.. didn't they say March before his is available ? That kind of far down the road. Sounds like a last resort.

Sounds more like smoke signals.

Return to Washington Wizards