The Robert Griffin III story has been revealed

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: The Robert Griffin III story has been revealed 

Post#21 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Well, he did take responsibility for being on board the RG3 trade (which I wasn't). I think he went on to say that

They didn't ask him about specific coaching mistakes. Seems as if he's in the mindset that RG3 wasn't truthful which seems to be true given NFL films recording of him saying that he wasn't going to tell Shanahan/doctors that he was injured during the Seattle game.

Also, I'm not really going to dispute Shanahan's argument that Snyder was a meddling owner. It seems as if Washington has been this way since the times of Norv such as Snyder yelling at Norv after games to put in Jeff George. Certainly, it make sense that Shanahan was not a McNabb guy especially since he took him out with 2 minutes left to go in the game (which was a horrid move IMO).

And given what we've seen from this season, it does appear that RG3 has been uncoachable or simply is not good enough given his knee injury.

Of course, I would have loved to here Shanahan say something along the lines that "In retrospect, the RG3 trade was a mistake- it was too much to give up for one player who was damaged goods. Especially since Washington was comfortable taking other QBs on the board including Tannehill, Wilson, and Cousins". Or even, "It was foolish for me to bench McNabb at that stage of the game, especially since Grossman was not ready for the moment- I also lost a lot of trust from McNabb". Truth is Shanahan is not self aware - which is probably true of most people in the world.

Then again, I see Shanahan in a no win situation here as if he completely blasted the trade, it would sound like he's coming down too hard on RG3. RG3 didn't improve this season. His current coach in Jay Gruden said that he didn't know the plays. And RG3 said again that he lied about his foot injury so that he could return sooner to play again. RG3 right now doesn't appear to be a guy that gets it.

Shanahan might have more credibility if he'd admit that he went along with people because of the money or because he thought he was a good enough coach that he could just coach up whatever he had on the roster. Or, if he'd have stood up to them with the equivalent of: You said I had final say, and I'm exercising it. If you don't like what I'm doing, you can fire me. Or, if he'd re-signed and said: They told me I had final say, and then tried to overrule me. That's not the agreement we had, and I don't think I can do the job I was hired to do without the authority that was promised.

But, Shanahan took the money and went along with whatever other people wanted to do.

Now, I do have some sympathy for him regarding his management of Griffin's health, assuming his version of events was accurate. However, I do think he could/should have put an end to that "all in for week one" stuff if Griffin couldn't fully practice and play in preseason games. That was a recipe for failure, and he really should have known better.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#22 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:25 am

I would want no part of dealing with Robert and The Dan. That must have been an impossible situation to deal with.

Dan won't get out of the way long enough and Robert is a drama queen that doesn't even know the plays.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#23 » by Wizardspride » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:33 am

hands11 wrote:I would want no part of dealing with Robert and The Dan. That must have been an impossible situation to deal with.

Dan won't get out of the way long enough the Robert is a drama queen that doesn't even know the plays.

There's just one problem with Shanny's narrative:

He had complete control. It was written into his contract.

He's spinning....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#24 » by hands11 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
hands11 wrote:I would want no part of dealing with Robert and The Dan. That must have been an impossible situation to deal with.

Dan won't get out of the way long enough the Robert is a drama queen that doesn't even know the plays.

He's spinning....

I'll side with Shanny given the people involved here.

If I had to pick an owner, head coach or QB from that group I would take Shanny.

As for your statement. No employee ever has the trump card over an owner. It only takes an owner sticking there noise in at a few key moments to disrupt the system. And since they hold the ultimate power, they can do a lot of damage in what looks to us to be a very limited him. But that's all we see. They aren't in the forefront.

You wanta pick The Dan.. Go for it. Enjoy.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#25 » by Dat2U » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:44 pm

I refuse to side with a guy that thinks their blameless. Like TSW said, there's multiple sides to every story and we only got Shanahan's.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#26 » by Wizardspride » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:50 pm

hands11 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

He's spinning....

I'll side with Shanny given the people involved here.

If I had to pick an owner, head coach or QB from that group I would take Shanny.

As for your statement. No employee ever has the trump card over an owner. It only takes an owner sticking there noise in at a few key moments to disrupt the system. And since they hold the ultimate power, they can do a lot of damage in what looks to us to be a very limited him. But that's all we see. They aren't in the forefront.

You wanta pick The Dan.. Go for it. Enjoy.

Its not about siding with Snyder.

Its more about knowing Shanny's history of being a control freak and doubting very much that he let Dan/Bruce/Robert run over him.

But if you want to believe Shanny...Go for it. Enjoy.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#27 » by Kanyewest » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Well, he did take responsibility for being on board the RG3 trade (which I wasn't). I think he went on to say that

They didn't ask him about specific coaching mistakes. Seems as if he's in the mindset that RG3 wasn't truthful which seems to be true given NFL films recording of him saying that he wasn't going to tell Shanahan/doctors that he was injured during the Seattle game.

Also, I'm not really going to dispute Shanahan's argument that Snyder was a meddling owner. It seems as if Washington has been this way since the times of Norv such as Snyder yelling at Norv after games to put in Jeff George. Certainly, it make sense that Shanahan was not a McNabb guy especially since he took him out with 2 minutes left to go in the game (which was a horrid move IMO).

And given what we've seen from this season, it does appear that RG3 has been uncoachable or simply is not good enough given his knee injury.

Of course, I would have loved to here Shanahan say something along the lines that "In retrospect, the RG3 trade was a mistake- it was too much to give up for one player who was damaged goods. Especially since Washington was comfortable taking other QBs on the board including Tannehill, Wilson, and Cousins". Or even, "It was foolish for me to bench McNabb at that stage of the game, especially since Grossman was not ready for the moment- I also lost a lot of trust from McNabb". Truth is Shanahan is not self aware - which is probably true of most people in the world.

Then again, I see Shanahan in a no win situation here as if he completely blasted the trade, it would sound like he's coming down too hard on RG3. RG3 didn't improve this season. His current coach in Jay Gruden said that he didn't know the plays. And RG3 said again that he lied about his foot injury so that he could return sooner to play again. RG3 right now doesn't appear to be a guy that gets it.

Shanahan might have more credibility if he'd admit that he went along with people because of the money or because he thought he was a good enough coach that he could just coach up whatever he had on the roster. Or, if he'd have stood up to them with the equivalent of: You said I had final say, and I'm exercising it. If you don't like what I'm doing, you can fire me. Or, if he'd re-signed and said: They told me I had final say, and then tried to overrule me. That's not the agreement we had, and I don't think I can do the job I was hired to do without the authority that was promised.

But, Shanahan took the money and went along with whatever other people wanted to do.

Now, I do have some sympathy for him regarding his management of Griffin's health, assuming his version of events was accurate. However, I do think he could/should have put an end to that "all in for week one" stuff if Griffin couldn't fully practice and play in preseason games. That was a recipe for failure, and he really should have known better.

I think Shanahan knew what he was getting into and that's why he took all the money from that contract. He probably should not have lied to the fans though and said that he had the final say on decisions- (this was probably done as a marketing campaign by the Redskins to say that things have really changed).

Still, the moves did wreak of Snyder especially the McNabb move. And the RG3 trade (who Shanahan seems to take responsibility for although he goes on to say that RG3 put up one of the greatest seasons statistically which somehow redeems the trade)

I think Shanahan was interested in keeping his job and that's why he played RG3. He also mentioned something that Kirk Cousins was injured (was this true? I don't actually remember that). Shanahan essentially got fired for benching RG3 in the last few games. If he had benched RG3 in the beginning of the season, he would have been a dead man walking.

Now, I agree that Shanahan probably should have just stuck to his guns and kept RG3 on the bench. Still Snyder would have fired him and made life miserable for him much like he did for Zorn- (hiring some old guy to call plays and that's just the stuff we know about- I would be interested in a Zorn tell all interview).
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#28 » by W. Unseld » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:57 pm

A. I can't find the link but apparently a group of fans are trying to crowdsource fund a documentary about the Dan Snyder era
B. Agree that Shanny has some weasel and didn't take any responsibility but suspect that most of this is true and Snyder will take extreme measures if you don't do what your told (Mike Nolan and vanilla ice cream; Zorn and the bingo hall offensive play caller)
C. RG3 fully healed would be even better than his rookie year in 2015 with DJax to throw to but does anyone really think that's coming? Absent that he's a guy that may or may not be able to morph into a pocket passer, I'm not holding my breath on that either
D. A lot of scouts/coaches seem to think Cousins could be good. He can definitely get to his 3rd option but Dat killed my optimism b/c I agree the choke factor may be irreversible--still worth another look, he comes cheap this year
E. Colt='s semi-solid C plus guy. I don't love it but I'd prefer it to the political fiasco that RG3 has become (some of which is his fault, much of it is not)
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#29 » by Higga » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Shanahan knew RG3 wouldn't be effective as a pocket passer. He designed an offense to utilize him to his best while allowing him the time it takes to develop, but RG3's ego got in the way and he no longer wanted to run read option. That is when everything fell apart.

Shanny is partly to blame sure but this is more on RG3 and Snyder for empowering another player over the coach.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Wizards