ImageImageImageImageImage

Ernie botched another pick didn't he

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Re: Ernie botched another pick didn't he 

Post#381 » by Kanyewest » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:17 pm

This thread has been a jinx thread for Noel- dude has gotten injured twice to no fault to his own and has had a terrible April so far. Hope he stays healthy.

Then again for the month of April, Porter has looked better. Question remains though if Porter can put these kinds of numbers if he comes off the bench and if he doesn't play with Wall but Sessions.

Noel's April averages - 8.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.3 blocks per game, 1 assist per game, 45% from the field
Porter's April averages - 10.5 ppg , 5.8 rpg, 1 apg, 1.5 turnovers per game, 53% from the field, 40% from 3
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#382 » by gtn130 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:01 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Noel's April averages - 8.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.3 blocks per game, 1 assist per game, 45% from the field
Porter's April averages - 10.5 ppg , 5.8 rpg, 1 apg, 1.5 turnovers per game, 53% from the field, 40% from 3

This is not a valid way of evaluating Noel considering that his single most important skill is rim protection. His points/rebounds are nearly irrelevant in comparison.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#383 » by Kanyewest » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:12 pm

gtn130 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Noel's April averages - 8.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.3 blocks per game, 1 assist per game, 45% from the field

This is not a valid way of evaluating Noel considering that his single most important skill is rim protection. His points/rebounds are nearly irrelevant in comparison.

True, but also saw that 3 of the 4 games this month, the 76ers gave up over 100 points (106, 101, 119) so there hasn't been much defense going on. The only game that the 76ers held an opponent under 100 points was when Noel had left the game after getting injured after playing 11 minutes. Again, this is a small sample size so I understand the sentiment that Porter isn't better than Noel but I just thought it was odd that this stretch happened after the creation of this thread. Ultimately, I still wonder if Porter can keep it up- yes Porter has played well but I've also seen decent games from Kwame Brown and Jan Vesley. The talent with Porter is there but he has to be more aggressive and confident even when his shot isn't falling.

That being said, Philly looks terrible as a team collectively defensively- not just Noel- so he can't possibly make up for all the mistakes. Maybe because they are missing MCW and KJ McDaniels on that end of the court.

BTW on a separate note, I know Philly has some interesting guys of value like Robert Covington but considering that Philly is full of d-league guys it was bound to happen that one of them worked out. Not saying the D-League is not a good way to find players, buPhilly could do a better job of finding talent if they were interested in winning- just seems like they are in for the tank.
gtn130
Analyst

Post#384 » by gtn130 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

True, but also saw that 3 of the 4 games this month, the 76ers gave up over 100 points (106, 101, 119) so there hasn't been much defense going on. The only game that the 76ers held an opponent under 100 points was when Noel had left the game after getting injured after playing 11 minutes. Again, this is a small sample size so I understand the sentiment that Porter isn't better than Noel but I just thought it was odd that this stretch happened after the creation of this thread. Ultimately, I still wonder if Porter can keep it up- yes Porter has played well but I've also seen decent games from Kwame Brown and Jan Vesley. The talent with Porter is there but he has to be more aggressive and confident even when his shot isn't falling.

That being said, Philly looks terrible as a team collectively defensively- not just Noel- so he can't possibly make up for all the mistakes. Maybe because they are missing MCW and KJ McDaniels on that end of the court.

BTW on a separate note, I know Philly has some interesting guys of value like Robert Covington but considering that Philly is full of d-league guys it was bound to happen that one of them worked out. Not saying the D-League is not a good way to find players, buPhilly could do a better job of finding talent if they were interested in winning- just seems like they are in for the tank.

Philly plays at the 7th fastest pace in the league. Their points totals are always going to be fairly high. They're 12th in the league in defensive efficiency, though, and that's while maintaining the least efficient offense in the NBA by a huge margin and the worst turnover ratio. If anything, Philly's numbers on D make Noel look great.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#385 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Lots of teams missed on him - but I would say the best player out of that draft is Gobert
gtn130
Analyst

Post#386 » by gtn130 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:53 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Lots of teams missed on him - but I would say the best player out of that draft is Gobert

Easily the best player. As long as Gobert continues what he's doing, he's a top-10 asset in the league.

Return to Washington Wizards