ImageImageImageImageImage

We have a ticket to the second round don't we

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Re: We have a ticket to the second round don't we 

Post#21 » by Dat2U » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:22 pm

I don't think the Wizards are all that great either. They are basically the same team as last year, with an improved Wall. But the rest of the East outside of the Hawks & the Cavs leaves a lot to be desired. Chicago does not scare me. Toronto absolutely does not scare me. Toronto is the absolute definition of a pretender. Their post defense leaves a lot to be desired. Valanciunas is one of the poorer starting defensive bigs in the league. Wall would truly go Wall-Star against Toronto IMO.

Much like last year, I think we are arguably the third best team in the East. That's not giving credit to the Wizards, that's saying that it doesn't take much to be the 3rd best team in the East right now. We've got John Wall. He's arguably the 2nd best player in the entire East after LeBron. Add steady grizzled vets like Pierce, Nene & Gortat and that should be enough to get us to the 2nd round against weak competition.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#22 » by tontoz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:42 pm

noworriesinmd wrote:I LOVE this board, but it is made up of the most schizophrenic fans EVER!!!!

One month ago the house was burning down....now we have the personnel to get to the Finals!!!
WTF...it all depends on match-ups.

We'll be lucky to get to the second round. We don't play Toronto well.
If we make it to the second round....we'll last at most 5 games before we are bounced (We can't beet ATL, CLE, CHI) in a 7 game series.

I predicted we'd win ~47 games and be 5th in the conference. Looks like this is close to were they will land.
This team has A LOT of work to do via the FO before we can be optimistic in the second season.

Geez.....FANatics

Who is saying we can go the finals?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#23 » by gtn130 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:06 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Nope.

Derrick Rose will cook Wall.

Pau Gasol >>>>>>> Boozee

Jimmy Butler could go off.

Wiz can't guard Mirotic either.

Bulls win in 6 games easily.

Wizards need to play the Raptors so that the Wiz get embarrassed and swept since Wittman never beats Toronto.

A 2nd round appearance would be terrible. We need to suck in the playoffs to make Leonsis wake the f*** up!

lol I agree the Bulls will beat us, but Rose has been a negative for them all year. No chance he "cooks" Wall since Wall is 10x the player Rose is right now. The only good game(s) Rose has had involve him unsustainably draining tons of low % jumpers. The guy does not have his athleticism back yet, and if he plays the way he has been for the bulk of the year, the Bulls are better off without him imo.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#24 » by Dat2U » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:17 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Nope.

Derrick Rose will cook Wall.

Pau Gasol >>>>>>> Boozee

Jimmy Butler could go off.

Wiz can't guard Mirotic either.

Bulls win in 6 games easily.

Wizards need to play the Raptors so that the Wiz get embarrassed and swept since Wittman never beats Toronto.

A 2nd round appearance would be terrible. We need to suck in the playoffs to make Leonsis wake the f*** up!

I would love Witt to get fired but there's zero chance the Wiz get embarrassed by the Raps. I could see a scenario where we flop badly and lose a tough but close series in 6 or 7. But that's the worst case scenario IMO. Raps aren't any better than we are. They may be more explosive offensively but their defense is porous. They have coaching issues similar to us. They have their own set of problems that Raps fans will tell you about. Kyle Lowry, who started the season off like gangbusters, hasn't been the same player and has been battling back spasms. The door is wide open for the Wizards to line up a 2nd round matchup against Atlanta.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#25 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:19 am

tontoz wrote:
noworriesinmd wrote:I LOVE this board, but it is made up of the most schizophrenic fans EVER!!!!

One month ago the house was burning down....now we have the personnel to get to the Finals!!!

If we make it to the second round....we'll last at most 5 games before we are bounced (We can't beet ATL, CLE, CHI) in a 7 game series.

I predicted we'd win ~47 games and be 5th in the conference. Looks like this is close to were they will land.
This team has A LOT of work to do via the FO before we can be optimistic in the second season.

Geez.....FANatics

Who is saying we can go the finals?

first page CCJ
tontoz
RealGM

Post#26 » by tontoz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:42 pm

noworriesinmd wrote:
first page CCJ

LOL that should be self explanatory.
Joe_Wiz
Senior
And1: 5

Post#27 » by Joe_Wiz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:07 pm

The biggest question in my mind is what we'll see out of Pierce and Nene. Will they look like well-rested, savvy veterans who know how to play in the playoffs, or will they look like they're done? Another key question is how many minutes Wall will sit (and whether we can stay in the game during that time). And will the team be focused and clicking like they were in the recent win at Memphis (and like they often were before the All Star break) or . . . not.

I'm not at all confident that they'll pull it together, but they COULD rock.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Post#28 » by jacoby1us » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:17 pm

It will be a good series, Washington has the best chance of competing with us due to the front court problems that you all present to our team. I really would prefer to play Milwaukee in the first round.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#29 » by nuposse04 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:29 pm

jacoby1us wrote:It will be a good series, Washington has the best chance of competing with us due to the front court problems that you all present to our team. I really would prefer to play Milwaukee in the first round.

truthfully I want you guys to get the 3 seed as well. I want you guys to upset the cavs if possible (would require old Rose to resurface for 3 games tho).

I still think ATL will win the conference however.
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#30 » by jacoby1us » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:43 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:It will be a good series, Washington has the best chance of competing with us due to the front court problems that you all present to our team. I really would prefer to play Milwaukee in the first round.

truthfully I want you guys to get the 3 seed as well. I want you guys to upset the cavs if possible (would require old Rose to resurface for 3 games tho).

I am hoping the Pacers can sneak in and take that 8th seed, possibly upset the Hawks. That would be great, either the rejuvenated Nets or Pacers will give the Hawks a run for their money in the post season.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#31 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:27 pm

nuposse04 wrote:

I'm surprised by how many people assume Cleveland will just waltz past Atlanta in a 7-game series.

If you give Budenholzer 7 games vs that Cavs team, the Hawks are going to come out on top. They'll get worked over in the Finals (vs the Spurs probably) but I still have them coming out of the East. They're more balanced on both sides of the ball than Cleveland with better coaching and gameplanning. And I have a sneaking suspicion that Kevin Love will be Casper the Ghost when the playoff lights are on.
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#32 » by jacoby1us » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:

I'm surprised by how many people assume Cleveland will just waltz past Atlanta in a 7-game series.

If you give Budenholzer 7 games vs that Cavs team, the Hawks are going to come out on top. They'll get worked over in the Finals (vs the Spurs probably) but I still have them coming out of the East. They're more balanced on both sides of the ball than Cleveland with better coaching and gameplanning. And I have a sneaking suspicion that Kevin Love will be Casper the Ghost when the playoff lights are on.

Kevin Love is casper the friendly ghost right now on defense. (lol)
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#33 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:01 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:

Kevin Love is casper the friendly ghost right now on defense. (lol)

Lol exactly.. the Hawks will find a way to attack Love every single time in PnRs using his man. As long as Millsap is fine, he's beasted on Cleveland every time they've played. Thompson isn't able to step out an guard him either.

Smart coaching and clever gameplanning will beat an egotistical super team every time.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Re: We have a ticket to the second round don't we 

Post#34 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:33 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:

Geez.....FANatics

+1. I am not buying anything from this latest win streak. The Memphis game was a positive but the rest of the wins came against horrible teams. I am not automatically going to forget the second half of this season where we have basically played below .500 ball despite being relatively healthy.

I think the Wizards match up better with Chicago but I can easily see the Bulls dismantling us in the playoffs, especially since they will be even hungrier after last year.

I plan on selling all my tickets for the first round. If they make it to the second round, I'll become interested again.

I am convinced another coach could have these same players at 50 wins and a three seed.
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: We have a ticket to the second round don't we 

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
dandridge 10 wrote:

Geez.....FANatics

+1. I am not buying anything from this latest win streak. The Memphis game was a positive but the rest of the wins came against horrible teams. I am not automatically going to forget the second half of this season where we have basically played below .500 ball despite being relatively healthy.

I think the Wizards match up better with Chicago but I can easily see the Bulls dismantling us in the playoffs, especially since they will be even hungrier after last year.

I plan on selling all my tickets for the first round. If they make it to the second round, I'll become interested again.

I am convinced another coach could have these same players at 50 wins and a three seed.

They beat Memphis.

They changed lineups against Brooklyn. Wittman is a dolt at times. He has his pecking order and refuses to stick with the obvious Gooden and Porter starting lineup.

He's a fool to not like Gortat more.

Resting Wall with Deron Williams on fire and a chance at 3rd was a dubious decision at best.
RealGM

Post#36 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:43 pm

tontoz wrote:
noworriesinmd wrote:
first page CCJ

LOL that should be self explanatory.

Try reading the entire post, which neither of you quoted

Or, laugh smugly. I'm good either way.

AFM wrote:yall is so negative doe we gotta ticket to da finals baby

Honestly, I think the Wizards have personnel to get to the finals.

The guard situation is suddenly better. The floor spacing is better. Nene and Pierce are both rested. Washington has a lot of bigs to give fouls. There is depth at every position. The Wizards can now take enough threes to match opponents.

I don't think Washington will do great in the playoffs but there is more than enough talent that if Washington should be a 3 seed anything is possible.

For the record, never said they would. Qualified it with a big if. Said personnel, not coaching. And basically tontoz was piling on and noworriesinmd falsely accused.

Character matters to some but others are who they are.

I agree with AFM. Most are being too negative. I was hoping they would string wins going into the playoffs
tontoz
RealGM

Post#37 » by tontoz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Try reading the entire post, which neither of you quoted

CCJ, i just didn't to see if you actually said that so that is my bad. But i still think your post is a reach.

We both predicted the team to win 42 games and finish 7th in the east. We weren't that far off. I think we both underestimated Pierce. Plus the team had good luck/health on their side.

But i don't see how this team has the personnel to get past Atlanta/Cleveland in a series regardless of coaching. Other than Wall they have a few good role players and a weak bench. We simply don't have the talent to match up with the top 2 teams. I don't think we could even handle Indy in a series.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#38 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:36 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:

Geez.....FANatics

The Randy obvious low hanging fruit blunders to account for at least 6 more wins was documented along the way. Yes...50 win was min this team should have done even accounting for Randism.

And for the record folks, CCJ isn't just posting that number because its what he projected before the season because he projected a good bit lower then that. Which for me, makes his current take less tethered to accusations of bios.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#39 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:44 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:

They beat Memphis.

They changed lineups against Brooklyn. Wittman is a dolt at times. He has his pecking order and refuses to stick with the obvious Gooden and Porter starting lineup.

He's a fool to not like Gortat more.

Resting Wall with Deron Williams on fire and a chance at 3rd was a dubious decision at best.

Hey.. EFJ didn't like Haywood. Its a tradition here.

\
RealGM

Post#40 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:02 pm

tontoz wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Try reading the entire post, which neither of you quoted

CCJ, i just didn't to see if you actually said that so that is my bad. But i still think your post is a reach.

We both predicted the team to win 42 games and finish 7th in the east. We weren't that far off. I think we both underestimated Pierce. Plus the team had good luck/health on their side.

But i don't see how this team has the personnel to get past Atlanta/Cleveland in a series regardless of coaching. Other than Wall they have a few good role players and a weak bench. We simply don't have the talent to match up with the top 2 teams. I don't think we could even handle Indy in a series.

Apology accepted. :)

Yes, my post was a reach.

I thought Randy Wittman might actually stick with what was working. I was wrong.

Return to Washington Wizards