ImageImageImageImageImage

Otto Porter Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#561 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:29 am

I wish b-r did a better job with assigning positions.

When we're talking about where guys rank, it sorta depends on what exercise we're doing. If we're imagining peak ability to play basketball, then yeah -- Beal is a top 15 SG. If we're talking about what he actually has done on the floor to this point in his career -- then he's not top 15. He's not close. And it bears repeating: while aspects of his game have seemed to improve, his overall play hasn't. I've never really looked before, but I certainly can't recall a player who's been so consistent season to season. In this case, "consistency" isn't a compliment.

As for Porter: top 10 SF is fair. In my last update, he ranked 8th -- although he was in a functional tie with 9th, 10th and 11th. I can understand why people who mostly watch games think he's not good. He's low usage, doesn't get tons of rebounds or assists, just doesn't necessarily seem to be doing a whole lot. BUT, he makes his shots, he avoids turnovers, and his defensive impact is good. In some ways, he's like a reverse image of Wall. Wall is all about activity -- he does LOTS of positive things, and LOTS of negatives too. Porter does SOME good things and very few bad.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#562 » by Dark Faze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:52 am

Efficiency isn't everything. It really isn't.

tontoz wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:stepping on toes really?

we were dying for someone to step up offensively in the starting lineup this year

foh

When Wall takes a jumper without passing to anyone, how is someone supposed to "step up"?

And yes the number of shots taken is a big issue on every team. There is only one ball and a lot of big egos.

Really? So Wall doesn't pass now? :lol: That's the excuse?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#563 » by tontoz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:27 am

Dark Faze wrote:Efficiency isn't everything. It really isn't.

tontoz wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:stepping on toes really?

we were dying for someone to step up offensively in the starting lineup this year

foh

When Wall takes a jumper without passing to anyone, how is someone supposed to "step up"?

And yes the number of shots taken is a big issue on every team. There is only one ball and a lot of big egos.

Really? So Wall doesn't pass now? :lol: That's the excuse?

When it comes to actually winning a game there is nothing more important than a team's scoring efficiency.

Since you are obviously drinking and therefore unable to understand my post allow me to clarify. Wall takes too many jumpers without anyone else touching the ball, especially given how badly he shoots them. Hope that helps.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#564 » by Dark Faze » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 am

I'm sorry but Wall isn't stopping anyone from getting buckets if they want them. Not sure what you are smoking.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#565 » by tontoz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I'm sorry but Wall isn't stopping anyone from getting buckets if they want them. Not sure what you are smoking.

How exactly is someone else going to score if Wall comes down and takes a shot without anyone else touching the ball, aside from getting the inevitable offensive rebound?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#566 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:00 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I wish b-r did a better job with assigning positions.

When we're talking about where guys rank, it sorta depends on what exercise we're doing. If we're imagining peak ability to play basketball, then yeah -- Beal is a top 15 SG. If we're talking about what he actually has done on the floor to this point in his career -- then he's not top 15. He's not close. And it bears repeating: while aspects of his game have seemed to improve, his overall play hasn't. I've never really looked before, but I certainly can't recall a player who's been so consistent season to season. In this case, "consistency" isn't a compliment.

As for Porter: top 10 SF is fair. In my last update, he ranked 8th -- although he was in a functional tie with 9th, 10th and 11th. I can understand why people who mostly watch games think he's not good. He's low usage, doesn't get tons of rebounds or assists, just doesn't necessarily seem to be doing a whole lot. BUT, he makes his shots, he avoids turnovers, and his defensive impact is good. In some ways, he's like a reverse image of Wall. Wall is all about activity -- he does LOTS of positive things, and LOTS of negatives too. Porter does SOME good things and very few bad.

Not only is he good, he has a terrific trend line season to season and within this season. I think a top 10 assessment is very reasonable. James, Durant, Leonard group - that is going to be tough. But I could see him in the next group below and trying to squeeze into a top 5 SF.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#567 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:11 pm

This is positive, no wonder Grunfeld wants to trade him...

Code: Select all

Season   Age    MP     PER    TS%    DRB%   AST%   TOV%   STL%   USG%   VORP
2013-14   20   319     6.0   0.405   13.3   4.6    12.7   1.3    15.6   -0.4
2014-15   21   1432   11.6   0.523   11.6   6.8    10.9   1.6    15.1    0.6
2015-16   22   2253   14.5   0.566   14.8   7.9     8.4   2.2    16.2    2.2
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#568 » by krii » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:43 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PROcast/status/752991995749031936[/tweet]

Otto workin' hard ;-)
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#569 » by keynote » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:02 pm

krii wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/PROcast/status/752991995749031936[/tweet]

Otto workin' hard ;-)

Good to see him continuing to work on drills that would help his explosiveness, as well as his lateral mobility and stability. Of course, I'd rather see a clip of him going heavy on deadlifts and squats, then sitting down to a big plate of protein. But that's just me.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#570 » by DCZards » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:40 pm

keynote wrote:
krii wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/PROcast/status/752991995749031936[/tweet]

Otto workin' hard ;-)

Good to see him continuing to work on drills that would help his explosiveness, as well as his lateral mobility and stability. Of course, I'd rather see a clip of him going heavy on deadlifts and squats, then sitting down to a big plate of protein. But that's just me.

I don't doubt that Otto is doing deadlifts, squats, and other weight-bearing exercises as well as what we see him doing here on the beach. (Sand provides significant resistance and also helps build muscle.)

As a G'town fan, I've followed Otto closely for the last 5-6 years. His muscle definition has increased significantly over that period. Not seeing (or expecting) a lot of bulkiness from Porter but given his work ethic I fully expect him to get stronger and stronger physically. I recall Gortat saying a couple of years ago that Otto is the teammate he most often works out with in the weight room.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#571 » by AFM » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Some dudes are just lanky, he needs to hit the juice a little

Ask Lebron for the hook up
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#572 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm

DCZards wrote:I don't doubt that Otto is doing deadlifts, squats, and other weight-bearing exercises as well as what we see him doing here on the beach. (Sand provides significant resistance and also helps build muscle.)

As a G'town fan, I've followed Otto closely for the last 5-6 years. His muscle definition has increased significantly over that period. Not seeing (or expecting) a lot of bulkiness from Porter but given his work ethic I fully expect him to get stronger and stronger physically. I recall Gortat saying a couple of years ago that Otto is the teammate he most often works out with in the weight room.

Agreed. I have no issues whatsoever with Otto Porter. I love the guy. Frankly, he's the best upside hope for the franchise. Four years from now, I think Porter is the most likely player on the roster to be in an All Star game.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#573 » by keynote » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:31 pm

DCZards wrote:I don't doubt that Otto is doing deadlifts, squats, and other weight-bearing exercises as well as what we see him doing here on the beach. (Sand provides significant resistance and also helps build muscle.)

As a G'town fan, I've followed Otto closely for the last 5-6 years. His muscle definition has increased significantly over that period.

I see some results as well -- in his upper body. His legs are still toothpicks. And, he's still couldn't hold position defensively in the post last year.

I like Porter. I'm just impatient, because while I don't doubt the work ethic, I thought he'd be strong enough to defend burly SFs and finish through contact by his third year -- and I've been a little disappointed in his lack of progress. He's already an effective player, but he still has a lot of catching up to do strength-wise. And that lack of strength has done more to prevent him from having the breakout year we're all hoping for than a deficiency in any particular basketball skill.

Increased strength also breeds confidence (something Porter often lacks), so there's that.

Porter will never be a brute force like Melo or Bron, but I hope that this is the year his strength improves to the point that it's not a limiter on his progress.

nate33 wrote:Agreed. I have no issues whatsoever with Otto Porter. I love the guy. Frankly, he's the best upside hope for the franchise. Four years from now, I think Porter is the most likely player on the roster to be in an All Star game.

You're probably right -- but only because Wall will be gone by then. :cry:
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#574 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:37 pm

keynote wrote:
nate33 wrote:Agreed. I have no issues whatsoever with Otto Porter. I love the guy. Frankly, he's the best upside hope for the franchise. Four years from now, I think Porter is the most likely player on the roster to be in an All Star game.

Even if Wall is here, I think Porter is more likely to be an All Star in 2021 than Wall is. I have this nagging feeling that Wall has plateaued physically, and that he'll decline pretty quickly once he loses a step. Imagine Wall without the one-man fast breaks to give him easy points and assists.

Take a look at Rajon Rondo's decline in production once he hit age 27. I think Wall will make it to 28 or 29 without a substantial decline, but when he does decline, it'll be quick.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#575 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Nate - Porter's break out is next year - going to be the best player on the team! Book it...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#576 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:19 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Nate - Porter's break out is next year - going to be the best player on the team! Book it...

I'd really like to see the Wizards ink him to a contract extension right now, at, say, $16M a year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#577 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:21 pm

keynote wrote:

As a G'town fan, I've followed Otto closely for the last 5-6 years. His muscle definition has increased significantly over that period.

I see some results as well -- in his upper body. His legs are still toothpicks. And, he's still couldn't hold position defensively in the post last year.

I like Porter. I'm just impatient, because while I don't doubt the work ethic, I thought he'd be strong enough to defend burly SFs and finish through contact by his third year -- and I've been a little disappointed in his lack of progress. He's already an effective player, but he still has a lot of catching up to do strength-wise. And that lack of strength has done more to prevent him from having the breakout year we're all hoping for than a deficiency in any particular basketball skill.

Increased strength also breeds confidence (something Porter often lacks), so there's that.

Porter will never be a brute force like Melo or Bron, but I hope that this is the year his strength improves to the point that it's not a limiter on his progress.

Yeah, I'm a Porter fan - I'd root for him even if he wasn't on the Wiz - but I don't see him as an all-star - present or future - mainly because of his thin frame - which limits his strength. If he could find a way to add some muscle - so he could get up to 220, I might change my mind - but considering how hard he's apparently worked - with his weight still barely over 200, it's just not likely. I think a guy like Crowder - who's much shorter - has a better chance at being an all-star, because he can physically beat up a guy like Otto.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#578 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
keynote wrote:

Yeah, I'm a Porter fan - I'd root for him even if he wasn't on the Wiz - but I don't see him as an all-star - present or future - mainly because of his thin frame - which limits his strength. If he could find a way to add some muscle - so he could get up to 220, I might change my mind - but considering how hard he's apparently worked - with his weight still barely over 200, it's just not likely. I think a guy like Crowder - who's much shorter - has a better chance at being an all-star, because he can physically beat up a guy like Otto.

Breakout year coming - All Star year - fanatically predicting he will become a top 10 SF in the L. He will be in the next group after James, Leonard, Durant and George.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#579 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:38 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
keynote wrote:I see some results as well -- in his upper body. His legs are still toothpicks. And, he's still couldn't hold position defensively in the post last year.

Breakout year coming - All Star year - fanatically predicting he will become a top 10 SF in the L. He will be in the next group after James, Leonard, Durant and George.

He already did break into the top 10 (or top 11, at least). He is in the next group behind James, Leonard, Durant and George. After those four, it's Carmelo, Crowder, Hayward, Deng, Batum and Ariza. I'd put him in the tail end of that group, possibly ahead of Deng and Ariza, though I suppose Andrew Wiggins is going to break into that group this year as well.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#580 » by tontoz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:51 pm

I'd like to see his rebounding and scoring volume pick up. Other than that I can't complain. he is an easy guy to root for.

I doubt he is going to put on a lot of weight but I think he will be an effective player anyway.

Return to Washington Wizards