ImageImageImageImageImage

Otto Porter Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#601 » by Dark Faze » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm

Yeah, and if Kelly plays the 3 in those moments then we literally don't have a backup SF unless we use a spot on House or Eddie.

Ernie didn't seem to think about basketball at all when he made his off-season acquisitions. We needed a 3rd PG but shouldn't have traded for one. Only needed one of Smith or Nicholson. Pretty much a disaster. We don't have a third SF on the roster right now.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#602 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:34 am

The more minutes Otto gets the better. The problem will be who replaces him at 3 when he plays the 4. I guess it can be Satoransky, but we don't actually know that Sato can play productively in the NBA -- any position. Is Oubre really ready to fill in? Does Beal move to the three w/ Sato at the 2?

Can't plug one hole with the plug from another.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#603 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 1, 2016 12:35 am

No Porter Extension?

Storyline: Otto Porter Free Agency
David Aldridge
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#604 » by AFM » Tue Nov 1, 2016 12:39 am

Somewhere, PIF is pouring himself the last drops of wine from his bottle, and smoking a doobie
Soundtrack: "out in da streets, dry call it murdaaaa...Welcome to jam rock..."
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#605 » by dckingsfan » Tue Nov 1, 2016 12:47 am

It really is quite pathetic - really.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#606 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 1, 2016 1:59 am

AFM wrote:Somewhere, PIF is pouring himself the last drops of wine from his bottle, and smoking a doobie

It's all about one thing -- fire Ernie Grunfeld. It's amazing he has a job, really. If someone like me who's been watching the NBA with some attention for 40+ years now but still is just a fan, if someone like me can recognize, as he makes them, how utterly pointless how totally stupid Ernie's moves are, how can this guy still be employed? I just don't understand it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#607 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 1, 2016 2:05 am

payitforward wrote:
AFM wrote:Somewhere, PIF is pouring himself the last drops of wine from his bottle, and smoking a doobie

It's all about one thing -- fire Ernie Grunfeld. It's amazing he has a job, really. If someone like me who's been watching the NBA with some attention for 40+ years now but still is just a fan, if someone like me can recognize, as he makes them, how utterly pointless how totally stupid Ernie's moves are, how can this guy still be employed? I just don't understand it.

Leonsis doesn't recognize how utterly pointless and totally stupid Ernie's moves are. Or maybe they just have some sort of toxic codependency involving a donkey, the Wizards, and a pool filled with Jello. Either answer seems plausible.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#608 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 1, 2016 2:35 am

We're back to a point I've made about a jillion times, which nobody is willing to wrap their minds around:

Ted Leonsis is not the owner of the Washington Wizards. He and a bunch of (minority) partners own a company called Monumental Sports. One of Monumental's products is the Wizards. Another is the Capitals. Another is the arena. Etc. etc. etc.

As long as Monumental Sports does well, Ted does well. The Wizards' record is only relevant if a bad record causes Monumental's revenue to decline. So far that hasn't happened.

Hence, Ted has no reason whatsoever to care whether we win 30 games or 40 games or 50 games. What's that to him? Business is good. All is right with the world.

The idea that Ted cares if we contend for a title, that he's any kind of fan at all, is ridiculous. It's incomprehensible to me that anyone can think that. It's childish.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#609 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:48 am

PIF, I don't really think anyone's struggling with that one, but I think you answered your own question.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#610 » by BigA » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:58 am

payitforward wrote:We're back to a point I've made about a jillion times, which nobody is willing to wrap their minds around:

Ted Leonsis is not the owner of the Washington Wizards. He and a bunch of (minority) partners own a company called Monumental Sports. One of Monumental's products is the Wizards. Another is the Capitals. Another is the arena. Etc. etc. etc.

As long as Monumental Sports does well, Ted does well. The Wizards' record is only relevant if a bad record causes Monumental's revenue to decline. So far that hasn't happened.

Hence, Ted has no reason whatsoever to care whether we win 30 games or 40 games or 50 games. What's that to him? Business is good. All is right with the world.

The idea that Ted cares if we contend for a title, that he's any kind of fan at all, is ridiculous. It's incomprehensible to me that anyone can think that. It's childish.

Sure, and that's a reason for Ted to be complacent.

But wouldn't Monumental Sports make lots more money if the Wizards were good?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#611 » by Dat2U » Tue Nov 1, 2016 5:59 am

BigA wrote:
payitforward wrote:We're back to a point I've made about a jillion times, which nobody is willing to wrap their minds around:

Sure, and that's a reason for Ted to be complacent.

But wouldn't Monumental Sports make lots more money if the Wizards were good?

Ted seems more interested in building Monumental into an entertainment/media conglomerate. The recent MSN/CSN deal being evidence to this. He's gotten a piece of the Comcast pie, becoming an equity partner while CSN will help support MSN by offering a subscription service offering craptastic offerings such as Mystics games, Arena Football League games (the same league which is on the verge of collapse) and NDBL offerings (I guess Teddy may be purchasing an NBDL affiliate soon?). CSN continues to get exclusive rights to Caps/Wizards games.

The actual performance of these franchises seems of little consequence to Leonsis. As long as there's the appearance of trying and being somewhat competitive, Leonsis is content with status quo as far as the Wizards are concerned. The Caps situation seems much better though. They are a legitimate contender year in and year out, despite the consistent failures in the playoffs. Maybe Leonsis feels that as long as one of his prized possessions is doing well then it doesn't matter because the Caps/Wiz are a package deal.

However the Wizards situation is pretty bad. The Wizards are much more of an event where interest greatly depends on the opponent that's playing and the home team is simply regarded as chopped liver. Sadly it's not much difference from the Susan O'Malley days. Attendance is partially attributed to corporate season tickets and a built-in crowd due to proximity to where many people work. But these people aren't your typical die hard fans. The die hard's are largely dispirited folk who either have given up season tickets or are slowly dying inside from 30+ years of absolute ineptitude. The younger generation of dc basketball fans have little interest in a team that they see as a laughing stock. You can't chase the 8th seed forever. Not one meaningful, hope filled run where you can say, hey, this team has a chance to go places. Maybe even compete for a title. There's been zero thoughts about legitimately competing since 1979. The Wizards have basically lost 2 generations of DC area fans who have been partially replaced by corporate suits and transplants to the area that prefer the Lakers, Celtics & any other NBA team of note.

Leonsis doesn't seem to realize that having a really good basketball team would increase his USP and make Monumental far more valuable than it is right now... that it would also help his fledgling network if people were actually interested in the Wizards related content they air. But right now, Leonsis is too busy being a entrepreneur, philanthropist, film-maker, etc to really give it much thought. He empowered Ernie to follow his plan, Ernie communicates with him and gives high quality excuses for why the Wizards are still mediocre and Leonsis seems to buy it lock, stock & barrel. Keep in mind, Leonsis was a long-time high level AOL exec. Meaning he was there for the rise... and the steep decline...so his ability to map out a long term plan or execute one should be in question. But his ability to make excuses or assign blame is top notch.

Maybe disaster is needed. A painful 28-54 type of season. But that seems unlikely unless there's another significant injury. In which case Ernie as another great excuse to give. More realistic though is that Ernie panics and makes a deal for a veteran scorer if we get off to a bad start. Say what you want about Ernie, when he panics, he quickly responds. Even if it means setting the franchise back a little further... for him 42-40 is well worth it, because it's enough to keep Leonsis placated and for Ernie to keep his job.
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#612 » by krii » Tue Nov 1, 2016 11:05 am

Jesus, seriously? Otto is good and is about to be great. I don't see that much of a potential in KOubre as a lot of your guys (IMO he is too raw. Pure athleticism without BBIQ and with limited skill set).
Otto in a system like GSW or SAS would be massive. I won't be surprised if he sign with Spurs and become an all star.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#613 » by Dark Faze » Tue Nov 1, 2016 1:16 pm

Well signing the new head coach was pretty much the death knell for Ernie. His time is coming for sure if we underperform, as there aren't any scape goats left.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#614 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 1, 2016 1:47 pm

krii wrote:Jesus, seriously? Otto is good and is about to be great. I don't see that much of a potential in KOubre as a lot of your guys (IMO he is too raw. Pure athleticism without BBIQ and with limited skill set).
Otto in a system like GSW or SAS would be massive. I won't be surprised if he sign with Spurs and become an all star.

Thing is - even gaining a few lbs - he's not strong even at the 3 - and he can't really hold his own over the long haul with guys like Leonard and George (I'm not even going to mention Lebron.). He's more like Green of San Ant - but Green's a better defender and ball-handler. And he's not a guy who's shown he can create for himself or for others. He's a good player I'm happy to have, but there are obvious limitations, imo. Before PIF jumps on me, pointing out Otto's limitations doesn't mean I think he's not a good player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#615 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 1, 2016 2:48 pm

montestewart wrote:PIF, I don't really think anyone's struggling with that one, but I think you answered your own question.

Great! But... what was my question?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#616 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 1, 2016 2:58 pm

Dat2U wrote:
BigA wrote:...But wouldn't Monumental Sports make lots more money if the Wizards were good?...

Ted seems more interested in building Monumental into an entertainment/media conglomerate...

Bingo. And that's where the payoff is for him, so he's right: why shift focus?

Ted Leonsis doesn't have a lot of attention to give to the Wizards -- just one among many products/marketing vehicles. So far the team hasn't fallen off a cliff to become a Nets/Philly/Sac'to style disaster, there's not a lot of dissension in the Wizards staff, it's been possible to find little marketing pops (e.g. hiring Brooks), and none of the Wizards-related revenue streams seem to be suffering.

Are fans grumbling? Sure -- but you know fans: they always grumble. And what do they know anyway? They grumble but they open their pockets & give us their $$.

Hence, no worries over in that direction, i.e. "Ernie's doing a good job."
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#617 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:08 pm

payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:PIF, I don't really think anyone's struggling with that one, but I think you answered your own question.

Great! But... what was my question?

I know, so long ago. Let me dig through the archives.

payitforward wrote:if someone like me can recognize, as he makes them, how utterly pointless how totally stupid Ernie's moves are, how can this guy still be employed? I just don't understand it.

payitforward wrote:Ted has no reason whatsoever to care whether we win 30 games or 40 games or 50 games. What's that to him? Business is good. All is right with the world.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#618 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:40 pm

Fwiw, I think it's next offseason that the fans will start revolting. Otto's gonna be an RFA, and they can keep him, but there will be big offers for him, and I don't see the front office being willing to pay Beal money for him - especially after blowing chunks of money on backup centers last offseason. Watch them trade their first rounder for a veteran okay forward. Fans are going to finally get pissed. Even the local media will stop excusing them! Only after that will Ted do something and hire a GM to actually run the organization.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#619 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:Fwiw, I think it's next offseason that the fans will start revolting. Otto's gonna be an RFA, and they can keep him, but there will be big offers for him, and I don't see the front office being willing to pay Beal money for him - especially after blowing chunks of money on backup centers last offseason. Watch them trade their first rounder for a veteran okay forward. Fans are going to finally get pissed. Even the local media will stop excusing them! Only after that will Ted do something and hire a GM to actually run the organization.

And then he'll be flabbergasted that we don't all suddenly flock back in droves, so fickle we.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#620 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 1, 2016 4:05 pm

wait, there's a plan?

what is the plan supposed to accomplish?
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards