ImageImageImageImageImage

Who is the better match up for the Wizards Round 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Who is the better match up for the Wizards Round 2 

Post#21 » by Higga » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Even though I don't think the Hawks are that good, I'd still rather face the Nets. That geriatric team can't keep up with our studs and you know Pierce is going to want to kill his old team(not that he wouldn't bring it vs. the Hawks).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#22 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:51 pm

I just want to to watch us continue to play good basketball
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#23 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dobrojim wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It doesn't matter who we face. As the poet Moses Malone would say, fo fo fo fo.

And he can dang close to being dead on target. PHL lost one game that year in the postseason, to MIL.

Bobby Jones, still one of my all time favs.

Yup, George McGinnis (sp?) probably put up better numbers, but I'd take Jones over him 7 days a week.

I cannot read his name without thinking"

"What do you like about big George?"
"Everythang"

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qucApexDils[/youtube]

The entire doc is worth a watch. I wish it was 3 hours long.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#24 » by hands11 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:03 am

Wow. Love out for the playoffs.

Now that helps when we face up with CLE in the ECF

Could we finally get our revenge against LeDouche ?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#25 » by dobrojim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:44 pm

He knows the player tendencies I guess but remember, they changed coaches.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#26 » by Sluggerface » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:05 pm

hands11 wrote:Wow. Love out for the playoffs.

I find it pretty hilarious that people still think Cleveland can win a title this year with Thompson and Mozgov as their only viable frontcourt players.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Sluggerface wrote:

I find it pretty hilarious that people still think Cleveland can win a title this year with Thompson and Mozgov as their only viable frontcourt players.

Their small forward (some guy) is going to move to PF. We'll see if Mike Miller and James Jones can still do enough at the 3. I wouldn't bet the mortgage against them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#28 » by Dat2U » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:55 pm

Sluggerface wrote:

It's called denial.

People can continue to think Mosgov & Thompson are very good players if they want lol.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#29 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Just guessing it is going to be something like this until Smith comes back

PG: Irving, Dellavedova
SG: Shumpert, Miller
SF: Jones, Miller
PF: James, Thompson
C: Mozgov, Thompson

Then

PG: Irving, Dellavedova
SG: Shumpert, Miller
SF: Smith, Jones, Miller
PF: James, Thompson
C: Mozgov, Thompson

They have to go small to have a chance.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#30 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 pm

Regardless, I think they lost their 3rd and 4th best players for the first two games... if they get a split, they will be lucky.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#31 » by J-Ves » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:

It's called denial.

People can continue to think Mosgov & Thompson are very good players if they want lol.

They are "good" in that they are playoff rotation quality players, but TT is an energy big off the bench nothing more, and Mosgov is probably the worst center left in the playoffs. The sad thing is CLE still might make it into the finals on the back of the crappy east, but they will lose in 4 or 5 to the Spurs or the Warriors. Then CLE fans will say things would of been different if they had Love. No they wouldn't, your team doesn't play defense and you traded away your chance at a dynasty when you gave up Wiggins for peanuts.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#32 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:51 am

With the way Hawks keep getting hurt, definitely Atlanta. Millsap, Horford, Teague, Sefalosha...and now Carroll did something to his hand.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#33 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:09 am

The Nets are terrible. They are a slow team that's reliant on making jumpers off the bounce on offense and they aren't physical on defense or the glass despite the fact they are bigger than everyone else. And they can't defend the perimeter at a playoff level. There really is no debate here. We want Brooklyn. They are a bad team and Atlanta is good. Atlanta is tough, they can shoot, defend the perimeter, and they are very smart. A series against Atlanta will be a dogfight and there are certain things that are a lock to happen that scare me: they will force a ton of turnovers and run on us and they will make a million threes. OTOH, we'd sweep Brooklyn.

But if you want Atlanta based on the idea that a much, much tougher test would be good for us, then you'll probably get your wish.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#34 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:25 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:The Nets are terrible. They are a slow team that's reliant on making jumpers off the bounce on offense and they aren't physical on defense or the glass despite the fact they are bigger than everyone else. And they can't defend the perimeter at a playoff level. There really is no debate here. We want Brooklyn. They are a bad team and Atlanta is good. Atlanta is tough, they can shoot, defend the perimeter, and they are very smart. A series against Atlanta will be a dogfight and there are certain things that are a lock to happen that scare me: they will force a ton of turnovers and run on us and they will make a million threes. OTOH, we'd sweep Brooklyn.

But if you want Atlanta based on the idea that a much, much tougher test would be good for us, then you'll probably get your wish.

You're definitely correct on this. I think there are three main reasons why the Nets-Hawks series has been close:

1. The Hawks coasted the last month of the season. They clinched their playoff spot on March 2.
  2. Even with the month-long coast, the Hawks are dinged up -- to varying degrees, the performance of Millsap, Horford, Teague, and Sefalosha have been affected by their health.
  3. The perils of small sample size.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#35 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:03 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:The Nets are terrible. They are a slow team that's reliant on making jumpers off the bounce on offense and they aren't physical on defense or the glass despite the fact they are bigger than everyone else. And they can't defend the perimeter at a playoff level. There really is no debate here. We want Brooklyn. They are a bad team and Atlanta is good. Atlanta is tough, they can shoot, defend the perimeter, and they are very smart. A series against Atlanta will be a dogfight and there are certain things that are a lock to happen that scare me: they will force a ton of turnovers and run on us and they will make a million threes. OTOH, we'd sweep Brooklyn.

You're definitely correct on this. I think there are three main reasons why the Nets-Hawks series has been close:

1. The Hawks coasted the last month of the season. They clinched their playoff spot on March 2.
  2. Even with the month-long coast, the Hawks are dinged up -- to varying degrees, the performance of Millsap, Horford, Teague, and Sefalosha have been affected by their health.
  3. The perils of small sample size.

Yeah, swings in level of execution are so big game to game in the playoffs that you can't trust the sample size of a series to indicate how the team will play next round.

Some things we do know about Atlanta:

- They can shoot threes from all five positions
- They are good at defending the perimeter and clogging passing lanes
- They are very good on the offensive glass
- They are a great fast break offense where they can both score against numbers at the basket AND hit trailing threes from a variety of positions
- And thus, they are extremely good at turning TOs and loose balls and offensive rebounds into points. Probably better than anyone else in the league this year at doing this. When Horford senses an opening, that 50/50 ball WILL end up in his hands and he is going to react faster than everyone else and be at the rim scoring before you figure out what's going on.
- They have good PnR ball handlers
- Korver's ability to reliably hit threes against good defense off high screens is a major source of offense for them. He is surprisingly physical in his ability to get open against tough defense. Does a good job running his man into screens and pushing off of them without getting called and they set a million high screens and back screens for him over the course of a game.

Whether or not we can defend those various sources of offense is the key to the series for us IMO. Have to completely stifle them by being strong with our rebounding. Have to be disciplined and limit turnovers. Have to get back as fast as we can when we do turn it over, and make sure someone is covering the trailers. And we have to find somebody that can stick to Korver, I think Porter in particular is in for an exhausting, challenging series.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#36 » by jmrosenth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:37 pm

I think we need to think bigger. I'm liking our matchup with the Warriors in the finals.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#37 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:45 pm

jmrosenth wrote:I think we need to think bigger. I'm liking our matchup with the Warriors in the finals.

I don't.

I think we should all be rooting for the Grizzlies. We can match up with them.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#38 » by jmrosenth » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm still bitter about the '75 Finals and want revenge.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.

[/quote]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:54 pm

nate33 wrote:
jmrosenth wrote:I think we need to think bigger. I'm liking our matchup with the Warriors in the finals.

I don't.

I think we should all be rooting for the Grizzlies. We can match up with them.

With Conley's face... broken, Nick Calathes is going to have to prove a lot of folks wrong - and he just might.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#40 » by hands11 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Which Otto stepping up and the Wizards trading A Miller for Sessions, the Wizards have gone from

"Old" to "Not Old" just like that. Which is why the worry over them being old was always so over played.

Wall, Beal and Otto as a core is younger then either ATL or BRK's core. Actually, its the youngest core in the playoffs once MIL is gone.. If that happens this series.

Gortat isn't old either. Just mature. He should be good to go well into the 35 range.

So you get PP for hopefully another year, then that age is gone as well.

Plenty of time and opportunity to roll in younger and mid/young aged players over the next couple years. Wall is 24 and will be 25 in Sept. You can start rolling on a young PG behind him to learn now. Beal and Otto are still just 21. :lol:

Otto not a bust.
Wizards not old.
Stage 4 is here.

Keep the rolling rebuild going. We are at the early stages to the Stage 4 with Wall coming into his prime as a WallStar and Beal and Otto soon to follow.

This is the beginning of our window.

For those that missed the ride here... exit using the doors on the left. Reserved seats are up front but mostly filled.
General seating is in the back and there are still seats open.

Return to Washington Wizards