ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#41 » by Higga » Tue May 26, 2015 1:29 pm

I hate the first day back after a long weekend. Spent a nice three days and nights in Ocean City though.

Hoo ray for the start of summer.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#42 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue May 26, 2015 8:41 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NzcBZSo2QI[/youtube]

Talk about lack of street smarts. Those yups ought to be ashamed of themselves.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggHr7uH6Iw[/youtube]

That's what you get for eating outside and leaving your pocketbook unattended.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrWQgZzsd0[/youtube]

This reminds me of Times Square back in the 1980s.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Gutsybug, that was one of the best posts I have ever seen on this board. I recommend it as an HOF post!

One of my sons is also 15 years old. I've been posting on this board since he (and you) were 1 year olds. The good news is I wasn't posting all the time. I have another son who's 13. :)

Montestewart is correct. Your timing is impeccable. This is a good time to be a Wizards fan. I was your age or thereabouts when Elvin, Wes, Bobby D, and others were in their heydey. Those days were great, but there were 25-35 pretty crappy years in between.

Back in the day there was no live streaming video. Games came on local tv. Computers were called mainframes. The Commodore Vic 20 was the first personal computer that I ever heard of, and it was primative. Access to basketball was much simpler. James Brown (he does US football) was one of the local color commentators. Marty Aranoff (big time stats guy) was a local guy IIRC. Things were simple. I am amazed at how technology has evolved the past 40 years...

The Bullets had players one time come to my school when I was 15. (Friendly HS, Larry Wright and Roger Phegley...or was it Tom Kropp?). That was exciting! Those guys on our blacktop...

Good for you that you chose a team over Lebron! :)

The Wizards are anything but boring. I've got the best feeling about OUR TEAM moving forward that I've had since way back then. Gutsybug, keep stealing those live streams...errr, I mean watch as oft as you can! The Wizards are a good team to follow. Wall, Beal, and Porter have a good chance at success for years to come.

Enjoy your years ahead of you, Gutsybug!

Use your writing and other gifts well and do associate with nothing but good people who are about positivity and moving forward in life. Also, keep playing basketball, no matter where or if you go to college for academics only.

Larry Wright was one of my all-time favorite old Bullets - right behind Kevin Porter. I still remember when they had 2 first rounders and picked Roger Phegley and big Dave Corzine in the same draft.

Welcome aboard, Gutsybug - great post.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Re: Re: 

Post#44 » by penbeast0 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:Larry Wright was one of my all-time favorite old Bullets - right behind Kevin Porter. I still remember when they had 2 first rounders and picked Roger Phegley and big Dave Corzine in the same draft.

IF I remember it right, we actually gave up a 1st rounder (unprotected) the next year for a 2nd rounder to pick Phegley who never amounted to anything. I remember it because I was screaming at my radio when Ken Beatrice (another blast from the past for any hardcore DC sports nerd) announced it.

OF course, I bitched when the Redskins dealt a 1st the next year for a 2nd to pick a guy named Russ Grimm too. But I think it worked a lot less often in basketball. And also a welcome to Gutsybug; it's been a long dry spell in Washington. Hopefully you are coming aboard in an era of hope and contending.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Re: Re: 

Post#45 » by montestewart » Wed May 27, 2015 3:13 am

penbeast0 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Larry Wright was one of my all-time favorite old Bullets - right behind Kevin Porter. I still remember when they had 2 first rounders and picked Roger Phegley and big Dave Corzine in the same draft.

IF I remember it right, we actually gave up a 1st rounder (unprotected) the next year for a 2nd rounder to pick Phegley who never amounted to anything. I remember it because I was screaming at my radio when Ken Beatrice (another blast from the past for any hardcore DC sports nerd) announced it.

OF course, I bitched when the Redskins dealt a 1st the next year for a 2nd to pick a guy named Russ Grimm too. But I think it worked a lot less often in basketball. And also a welcome to Gutsybug; it's been a long dry spell in Washington. Hopefully you are coming aboard in an era of hope and contending.

Phegley was a 1st (#14) and was the Bullets' own pick. Corzine (#18) they got in trade. I was upset as well when they picked Phegley, because in my system at the time, a name like Phegley couldn't possibly be attached to a decent basketball player. You perhaps had more secure reasons to object. Phegley . . . sounds like a pharmacist's assistant in a Dickens novel. "Phegley, fetch the tincture of Pennyroyal."

PS: Wright exploded for 43 points (forty-something) in his second year, the championship year. Forget the opponent but I think it was a loss.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#46 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2015 3:32 am

penbeast0 wrote:

I remember "4-3-2 WMAL".

Beatrice was awesome.
penbeast0

Post#47 » by penbeast0 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:08 am

Mixing up Phegley with someone else then. Sorry.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
RealGM

Re: Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#48 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2015 10:50 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Mixing up Phegley with someone else then. Sorry.
I did, too. Tom Kropp was the player along with Larry Wright.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I remember Kropp. Not a real talented player (to be kind) with a haircut to match his name. In comparison, Phegley was Clyde Drexler (who we should have drafted instead of Jeff Malone).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu May 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Wall should have included this boombox in the above picture of himself to complete his ripoff 1980s look.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Higga » Mon Jun 1, 2015 8:40 pm

Wall making me wanna go to Vegas, but our planned yearly trip isn't till Colombus Day Weekend. Argh! :(
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Jun 2, 2015 6:44 pm

Speaking of the 1980s, 30 years later and all of the electronic gadgets above are still bad ass.
Especially the computer chess. :D
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 551

Re: 

Post#53 » by daSwami » Wed Jun 3, 2015 3:19 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Gutsybug, that was one of the best posts I have ever seen on this board. I recommend it as an HOF post!

One of my sons is also 15 years old. I've been posting on this board since he (and you) were 1 year olds. The good news is I wasn't posting all the time. I have another son who's 13. :)

Montestewart is correct. Your timing is impeccable. This is a good time to be a Wizards fan. I was your age or thereabouts when Elvin, Wes, Bobby D, and others were in their heydey. Those days were great, but there were 25-35 pretty crappy years in between.

Back in the day there was no live streaming video. Games came on local tv. Computers were called mainframes. The Commodore Vic 20 was the first personal computer that I ever heard of, and it was primative. Access to basketball was much simpler. James Brown (he does US football) was one of the local color commentators. Marty Aranoff (big time stats guy) was a local guy IIRC. Things were simple. I am amazed at how technology has evolved the past 40 years...

The Bullets had players one time come to my school when I was 15. (Friendly HS, Larry Wright and Roger Phegley...or was it Tom Kropp?). That was exciting! Those guys on our blacktop...

The Wizards are anything but boring. I've got the best feeling about OUR TEAM moving forward that I've had since way back then. Gutsybug, keep stealing those live streams...errr, I mean watch as oft as you can! The Wizards are a good team to follow. Wall, Beal, and Porter have a good chance at success for years to come.

Use your writing and other gifts well and do associate with nothing but good people who are about positivity and moving forward in life. Also, keep playing basketball, no matter where or if you go to college for academics only.

I believe the "Statistician Extraordinairre" is still local - lives in Bethesda, works at NIH, although he may be retired by now (I know he's had some health issues). Weird bit of trivia only an old-head Bullets fan would care about - I heard that he and Robin Ficker were nextdoor neighbors.
:banghead:
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 551

Post#54 » by daSwami » Wed Jun 3, 2015 3:24 pm

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:Image

Speaking of the 1980s, 30 years later and all of the electronic gadgets above are still bad ass.
Especially the computer chess. :D

Whoa, flashback - Santa brought me that Atomic Arcade pinball machine in Christmas of '80 (back when he was real and worked at Springfield Mall. I saw the guy, sat on his lap even).
:banghead:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:39 pm

Springfield Mall in the 1980s.
Lots of non shopping related activities were taking place over there.
penbeast0

Post#56 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:22 pm

They were just Congressmen "taking a wide stance."
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:42 am

daSwami wrote:

I believe the "Statistician Extraordinairre" is still local - lives in Bethesda, works at NIH, although he may be retired by now (I know he's had some health issues). Weird bit of trivia only an old-head Bullets fan would care about - I heard that he and Robin Ficker were nextdoor neighbors.

Wow! No kidding ...

Those two being so heavily vested into the local NBA team and also being neighbors is both extraordinary and riveting. Pun intended. :)
RealGM

Post#58 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:49 am

Coincidences in life.... So, I'm on the set as an extra in a movie being filmed in Hawaii and what do I see? A gentleman involved in the production wearing a black t-shirt that says "Chocolate City" :)

His shirt had the very same logo that I use for my icon. He knew even more about the great George Clintonthan I do.

Really enjoyed talking with him in between the shooting and his work with the crew. Meeting him and others associated with the movie was really fun!

(In 2016, look for the back of my head when this film is released. :) )

As if that weren't enough of a coincidence the night I finished my work as an extra, when I got home there was a movie on TCM in which the premise was all about making a movie. Extras, directors, cast, crew, and the exact same process I witnessed.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Higga » Thu Jun 4, 2015 6:19 pm

What's the deal with this weather...can't tell if its June or January. :(

Entourage movie comes out this weekend...I loved the TV show but I can't see the movie being anything but terrible. Rottentomatoes has it at 32% too...
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#60 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 8:10 pm

Higga wrote:What's the deal with this weather...can't tell if its June or January. :(

Entourage movie comes out this weekend...I loved the TV show but I can't see the movie being anything but terrible. Rottentomatoes has it at 32% too...

The way this summer is going we'll have snow in September. Not sure how correct accuweather is, but it looks like it's going to be in the mid to high 80s for the rest of the month. Which is fine by me, back sweat is no joke.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Wizards