Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#1161 » by dobrojim » Thu Jun 8, 2023 4:35 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
dobrojim wrote:It’s comical how many people misuse the saying
“I could NOT care less” when they say the opposite
“I could care less”.

I know it’s just bad habit but do they really understand
so little about the meaning of words?

I don't see the big deal. Irregardless of how they say it, you still know what they're talking about.

Just getting back to this

I see what you done (just to show I can also use 'bad' language)
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#1162 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:33 pm

Of all the players who's draft rights are owned by NBA teams. Fun fact only 15 players are under 25 and we own rights to the youngest who is 19.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1163 » by montestewart » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:34 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Of all the players who's draft rights are owned by NBA teams Fun fact only 15 players are under 25 and we own the youngest 19

I’m not a doctor, but …
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1164 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:50 pm

I wonder ? How many DC sports figured do y'all think Mia Khalifa has taken down lol. I'm already seeing the memes about Jordan Poole.

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1165 » by montestewart » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:46 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I wonder ? How many DC sports figured do y'all think Mia Khalifa has taken down lol. I'm already seeing the memes about Jordan Poole.

My guess is zero. Self abuse alone can't kill a sports career. It has to be in combination with something else, like kryptonite.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1166 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:12 am

montestewart wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I wonder ? How many DC sports figured do y'all think Mia Khalifa has taken down lol. I'm already seeing the memes about Jordan Poole.

My guess is zero. Self abuse alone can't kill a sports career. It has to be in combination with something else, like kryptonite.
I mean slept with lol not like destroyed the career of lol.

I meant how many DC sports players has she slept with she's at tons of games and always reps the merch. Mostly for teds teams..... I wonder if she's banging Ted.

9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 839

Post#1167 » by 9 and 20 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:33 pm

Random thought on the youtube vortex I was just sucked in to - I watched this video again and it's crazy that just a couple of months ago, this dude was totally secure in his job and happy with the work he did here. It took about 5 minutes for Winger to burn it to the ground.

Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#1168 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 12:08 pm

Random thought -

;t=259s

Chris Webber is the third greatest player for this franchise in the past 40 years.

Gil - Wall - C-Webb. Beal and MJ round out the top 5.

If Webber stuck around, him and Juwan Howard would have been something, at least as good as the Kings in the mid-late 90's.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#1169 » by The Consiglieri » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:Ex Zard Rex Chapman always seems to have something cool on his Twitter account.

Read on Twitter

Did you guys hear him on Abe Pollin in Smartless? Curious if anyone posted about this, couldn't find anything so I'll throw it here. Did a nice job of smashing the cheap, embarrassing stupidity of how the Bullets were run when he was there (along with Charlotte) in promoting his new podcast on incompetent sports team owners and other stories. He's on the Danny McBride episode, talks about Pollin at the 1 hour and 7 minute mark.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/danny-mcbride/id1521578868?i=1000619953905
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,365

Post#1170 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:04 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Random thought -

;t=259s

Chris Webber is the third greatest player for this franchise in the past 40 years.

If Webber stuck around, him and Juwan Howard would have been something, at least as good as the Kings in the mid-late 90's.

Beal was easily the greater Wizard than Webber.

Webber had 1 All-Star season and 0 All-NBA seasons in 4 years as a Wizard.

Beal had 1 All-NBA season and 3 All-Star seasons in 11 years as a Wizard. (Beal should have had 4 All-Star seasons. He was snubbed in 2019-20, because he had a crazy hot streak that took place after All-Star voting. He actually finished 2nd among Eastern Conf. guards in All-NBA voting that season.)

The Wizards version of Webber had lots of exciting potential, but he wasn't yet a great player. He wasn't the same guy who emerged in Sacramento. (And frankly, Sacramento Webber was a little overrated too.) The Webber-led Wizards peaked at 44 wins in a weak East with a pretty stacked team (Strickland, Howard, Cheaney).
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,339

Post#1171 » by dobrojim » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:34 pm

Losing to oh-fer on the road Denver at home in a playoff race they eventually missed
by one game (iirc) is symbolic of his time here. Great potential but still searching
on how to harness it.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#1172 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:59 pm

Beal lived long enough to become the villain.

Based on numbers alone, Webber doesn't rank. But when you look at what might have been, that's what puts him in the pantheon. If Beal were traded before he became a boat anchor, he might rate the same. But no, he became the boat anchor.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1173 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:47 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Random thought -

MJ probably hurt the franchise more than he helped it. He was mediocre as an actual player, on ridiculous usage, with all the personality flaws of pre-Phil Jackson Chicago on display. He may have destroyed the confidence of the future of the franchise, #1 pick Kwame Brown, did trade Rip Hamilton for one of his similarly aging out Tarheel buddies, and put back what might have been a rebuild. On the plus side, he did sell tickets like no one the franchise has had before or since and a money infusion never hurts.

I'd take Butler, Jamison, Ruland, even Brendan Haywood over MJ as a franchise GOAT candidate. Beal easily over Webber too with Webber's immaturity and me first attitude cutting into his on court value. BB was a bit of a whiner but, more like Juwan Howard, was a professional when he was here even though his contract seriously hurt the franchise.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#1174 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:34 pm

Greatest DC basketball achievement in the last 40 years was this video.

daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 554

Post#1175 » by daSwami » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:38 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
MJ probably hurt the franchise more than he helped it. He was mediocre as an actual player, on ridiculous usage, with all the personality flaws of pre-Phil Jackson Chicago on display. He may have destroyed the confidence of the future of the franchise, #1 pick Kwame Brown, did trade Rip Hamilton for one of his similarly aging out Tarheel buddies, and put back what might have been a rebuild. On the plus side, he did sell tickets like no one the franchise has had before or since and a money infusion never hurts.

I'd take Butler, Jamison, Ruland, even Brendan Haywood over MJ as a franchise GOAT candidate. Beal easily over Webber too with Webber's immaturity and me first attitude cutting into his on court value. BB was a bit of a whiner but, more like Juwan Howard, was a professional when he was here even though his contract seriously hurt the franchise.

I agree with all of this. As a Wiz fan, the best part of the MJ-era was the hype surrounding HIM. (and Mariah Carey's jersey/dress.)
:banghead:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,357

Post#1176 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 pm

9 and 20 wrote:Beal lived long enough to become the villain.

Based on numbers alone, Webber doesn't rank. But when you look at what might have been, that's what puts him in the pantheon. If Beal were traded before he became a boat anchor, he might rate the same. But no, he became the boat anchor.

Webber also lived long enough to become the villain. I remember the fanbase wanting him out the same way as Beal. That was a pretty depressing day for me when that trade happened.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,006

Post#1177 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:09 am

Webber had a shoulder issue that lingered. Also, there was the weed bust.

All he did was put it all together for Sacramento after the stupidest trade before this Chris Paul trade.
Bye bye Beal.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#1178 » by The Consiglieri » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:36 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:Beal lived long enough to become the villain.

Webber also lived long enough to become the villain. I remember the fanbase wanting him out the same way as Beal. That was a pretty depressing day for me when that trade happened.

Didn't find this board until nearly a decade later though I was on a redskins board at the time. I'd like to think the entire fan base rightly understood that the decisions made following the '98 season were the stupidest, most moronic decisions in the history of the Pollin era, and was one of the worst trades in the history of the NBA, bar none. I mean, it was blatantly obvious at the time. I was in the bay area, was around for Run TMC, and everyone over there knew Mitch Richmond was done just like the handful of Sacramento fans did. Classic back to back young and big for old and small trades in '96 and '98 with Wallace and Webber and were taken to the cleaners BIG TIME in both cases.

It really is, so so so so freaking embarrassing to be a fan of this team. I remember growing up in the bay, and it was the same there, die hard hard core Oakland basketball fans, saddled with a totally incompetent team and F.O. for decades that could not get out of its own ways, but eventually, they figured it out. Not so for us, just more suffering, endless suffering.
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#1179 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:47 am

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2023/7/28/23810940/top-12-washington-wizards-basketball-reference

Top 12 Wiz of all time, according to Win Shares:

Wes Unseld — 110.1
Elvin Hayes — 80.0
Walt Bellamy — 57.0
Bradley Beal — 52.2
Greg Ballard — 48.6
John Wall — 44.3
Gilbert Arenas — 41.5
Antawn Jamison — 41.4
Jack Marin — 41.3
Phil Chenier — 39.3
Gus Johnson — 36.0
Brendan Haywood — 35.8

Some of these guys are before my time. If I'm looking at guys from the past few decades, using my arbitrary metric of my favorite players, I'd do

Arenas
Wall
Beal
Webber
Butler
Strickland
Jamison
Nene
Westbrook
Pierce
Haywood
Muresan
Stackhouse
Rip
MJ

Maybe leaving out a few guys. If we'd do the all 'what might have been' team, I'd include Ben Wallace and Googs.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,377

Post#1180 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:26 am

Hibachi
Muresan
Tuff Juice
Stef Curry in my mind since I demanded he be the pick instead of trading it
Cwebb
Ish Smith because he’s a good dude
Chris Whitney because he played with two sprained ankles when Rod Strickland was out due to menopause or something. Sprained feelings.
Brendan Haywood because he actually played defense on that team.
Muggsy Bogues though I never saw him play for the Bullets.
John Wall sometimes but also Russell Westbrook because against my will he made that year fun to watch.
Jordan Chaos Agent Poole, Tyus Stones, and Bilal BCool Coulibaly because as a fan of this team hope and projecting into the future are the thing that makes it possible to enjoy.

Runner up: all the pick swaps we got from Phoenix.

Return to Washington Wizards