ImageImageImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

thinker07
Junior
And1: 75

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#561 » by thinker07 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Kelly Oubre should IMO play maximum D-League minutes for at least 20 games. Let him try everything his mind can conceive on the court in D-League

Terrance Jones, Robert Covington, and others have benefited from playing DLeague ball. It makes more sense to me that playing is better than languishing on an NBA bench.

Oubre should be creative and not turned into a spot duty role player. Let him grow his game organically from the minor league on up.

I really doubt they'll send him to the D-League considering the new D-League assignment rules. I don't think the Wiz could even control what team he would play on and they aren't going to risk sending him to some random team and coaching staff.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#562 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:29 pm

plus he can help some now and learn more, even if he doesn't always get solid rotation minutes,
just by being around the big boys than he would in the D-league.

While he may not have team defensive chops, he appears to be a pretty good (or better)
one on one defender already.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,022

Post#563 » by dckingsfan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:51 pm

I think with Temple, Anderson, Dudley and Webster out with injuries that Oubre is going to get some minutes early in the season. I think he will be part of the 10 man rotation, no?

PG: Wall, Sessions, Temple (hamstring)
SG: Beal, Neal, Anderson (ankle), Webster (hip)
SF: Porter, Oubre, Dudley (back)
PF: Humphries, Gooden
C: Gortat, Nene, Blair
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#564 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I think with Temple, Anderson, Dudley and Webster out with injuries that Oubre is going to get some minutes early in the season. I think he will be part of the 10 man rotation, no?

Dudley will be back by the start of the regular season. Looks like Oubre and Blair will be the 11th and 12th men.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#565 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:06 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think with Temple, Anderson, Dudley and Webster out with injuries that Oubre is going to get some minutes early in the season. I think he will be part of the 10 man rotation, no?

Dudley will be back by the start of the regular season. Looks like Oubre and Blair will be the 11th and 12th men.

Dudley will be back, but won't he have to be eased into the rotation because he hasn't played any games and who-knows if he is feeling 100%.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#566 » by Kanyewest » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:20 pm

closg00 wrote:Dudley will be back, but won't he have to be eased into the rotation because he hasn't played any games and who-knows if he is feeling 100%.

Jared Dudley is supposed to return this week. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/dudley-could-make-his-return-this-week-for-the-wizards/2015/10/19/fb72482a-76b2-11e5-b9c1-f03c48c96ac2_story.html

I suppose we will see if he's close to 100%.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,022

Post#567 » by dckingsfan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:41 pm

closg00 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Dudley will be back, but won't he have to be eased into the rotation because he hasn't played any games and who-knows if he is feeling 100%.

Agreed, hopefully they will give Dudley a bit more time to heal - that would be my guess anyway. That moves Oubre to 10 by my count... which is some PT in a normal Wittman rotation.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#568 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:28 pm

thinker07 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Kelly Oubre should IMO play maximum D-League minutes for at least 20 games. Let him try everything his mind can conceive on the court in D-League

Terrance Jones, Robert Covington, and others have benefited from playing DLeague ball. It makes more sense to me that playing is better than languishing on an NBA bench.

Oubre should be creative and not turned into a spot duty role player. Let him grow his game organically from the minor league on up.

I really doubt they'll send him to the D-League considering the new D-League assignment rules. I don't think the Wiz could even control what team he would play on and they aren't going to risk sending him to some random team and coaching staff.

Right. Makes sense.

What's the point of the D-League?
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Kelly Oubre 

Post#569 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:30 pm

dobrojim wrote:plus he can help some now and learn more, even if he doesn't always get solid rotation minutes,

While he may not have team defensive chops, he appears to be a pretty good (or better)

He's ready defensively and physically at 19. He's seeming like at the very least a Bruce Bowen kinda chippy guy.

If he can defend SG and not turn the ball over; Beal has some competition.
Bye bye Beal.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#570 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
dobrojim wrote:plus he can help some now and learn more, even if he doesn't always get solid rotation minutes,

He's ready defensively and physically at 19. He's seeming like at the very least a Bruce Bowen kinda chippy guy.

If he can defend SG and not turn the ball over; Beal has some competition.

His on ball defense is pretty good. I don't think he is good at rotating on D yet but we should see improvement by years end if he is afforded spot minutes. He has a lot of nerves to work through on his shot. I feel like he pump fakes into more difficult ones when his first few shot attempts don't fall. Its fine if he misses, would just like him to not build the habit of taking bad shots. Confidence is key, which is why burying him on the bench worries me :/
RealGM

Post#571 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:59 pm

I still think he needs to play, regardless of D league lack of oversight, in the minor league a while instead of languishing on an NBA bench.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#572 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Playtime is good, but playtime against lessor competition can allow you to get away with bad habits.
And it's really hard to break bad habits.

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#573 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Yeah Oubre is the last guy who should be going down to the D-League.

He needs to be around the team as much as possible, playing for some crappy D-League coach, with selfish players, could distract him from what the Wiz need him to learn.

If he's around the team for a few months and just isn't picking up new things or progressing at all in practice, then maybe I could see sending him down. But it doesn't seem like that's the case, from what we've heard.
RealGM

Kelly Oubre 

Post#574 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Crappy D League coach?

You likely have a former NBA player who's an aspiring head coach. That or a successful coach trying to coach higher up.

Joerger was a D League coach.

Selfish players? No. Stat padding gets you called up but they do track efficiency and monitor winning teams and team players.
Bye bye Beal.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#575 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:41 am

Kid definitely looked a long way from prime time tonight. Gonna take a while.
In Rizzo we trust
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#576 » by Sluggerface » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Kid definitely looked a long way from prime time tonight. Gonna take a while.

It is what it is. If he played in the rotation right now you're mostly going to see clunkers, with him putting up a stellar game, like the 16 points on 4 shots performance, where the shots clicking, he's getting fouled, getting steals, and you understand why he was drafted. "3 & D" sounds like the simplest position to play in the league, but in reality, it's one of the hardest.

One thing I have liked is that he's at least trying to create some semblance of an off-ball game. That's something Glen Rice Jr. could never do.

All in all though, I don't think his preseason has been as bad as it seems. He hasn't turned the ball over. He's passing the ball. He's been getting steals/free throws at a high rate. Ultimately, he's just shooting 7% from three. That's pretty much the nail in how he's performed so far.
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#577 » by krii » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:45 am

Sluggerface wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Kid definitely looked a long way from prime time tonight. Gonna take a while.

It is what it is. If he played in the rotation right now you're mostly going to see clunkers, with him putting up a stellar game, like the 16 points on 4 shots performance, where the shots clicking, he's getting fouled, getting steals, and you understand why he was drafted. "3 & D" sounds like the simplest position to play in the league, but in reality, it's one of the hardest.

One thing I have liked is that he's at least trying to create some semblance of an off-ball game. That's something Glen Rice Jr. could never do.

All in all though, I don't think his preseason has been as bad as it seems. He hasn't turned the ball over. He's passing the ball. He's been getting steals/free throws at a high rate. Ultimately, he's just shooting 7% from three. That's pretty much the nail in how he's performed so far.

All those 3's from yesterday were not bad. It just a matter of time when they will fall :-)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#578 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Sluggerface wrote:"3 & D" sounds like the simplest position to play in the league, but in reality, it's one of the hardest.

Nah. 3&D is still the simplest position to play. But any position in the NBA is going to have a significant learning curve. There is just so much more strategy and help responsibility on defense.

I think, for the most part, Oubre's issue is that he's still thinking too much. He just needs to relax and play. He's looked kinda bad in the preseason, but I think he's going to be fine by mid-season once everything becomes routine. The bottom line is that he definitely belongs out there from a physical standpoint. Once he gets confidence in his shot, he'll be a useful role player. It's going to take a while for him to develop a right hand before he can do much else.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#579 » by dobrojim » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 pm

nate33 wrote:
Sluggerface wrote:"3 & D" sounds like the simplest position to play in the league, but in reality, it's one of the hardest.

Nah. 3&D is still the simplest position to play. But any position in the NBA is going to have a significant learning curve. There is just so much more strategy and help responsibility on defense.

I think, for the most part, Oubre's issue is that he's still thinking too much. He just needs to relax and play. He's looked kinda bad in the preseason, but I think he's going to be fine by mid-season once everything becomes routine. The bottom line is that he definitely belongs out there from a physical standpoint. Once he gets confidence in his shot, he'll be a useful role player. It's going to take a while for him to develop a right hand before he can do much else.

which
1. is to be expected, he's 19
2. also to be expected that the game will slow down for him as he learns what to expect on the floor.

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#580 » by Dark Faze » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:59 pm

No D-league. Practice with the team will help him and watching the game, watching film with the team.

When he's in games offensively his job isn't even hard. Just shoot if open and pass if not. He shouldn't put the ball on the ground because he's not ready for that yet--and it shows. He's in a perfect situation to develop. He's going to have three guys who can get shots up and dominate the ball in Nene, Sessions and Neal. Just play defense, run in transition and only take the easy shots.

It was much much harder for Porter--who was an off the ball--system oriented player playing alongside Eric Maynor and nobody else that could create or run an offense.

Return to Washington Wizards