ImageImageImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#701 » by AFM » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:09 pm

He's shooting the three better than Beal EVER has in any season. Small sample size of course. But if he plays out, we can totally let Beal walk.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: RE: Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#702 » by Tricky_Kid » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:18 pm

AFM wrote:He's shooting the three better than Beal EVER has in any season. Small sample size of course. But if he plays out, we can totally let Beal walk.

We should sell Beal cause this guy is never healthy. I only hope noone max him.

Wysłane z mojego LG-P880 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#703 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:25 pm

AFM wrote:He's shooting the three better than Beal EVER has in any season. Small sample size of course. But if he plays out, we can totally let Beal walk.

He's also shooting the three better than Porter probably ever will. Tbh Otto has work to do in order to earn a starting spot longterm.. Oubre is starting to look better at the 3-spot next to Wall, than anyone else on the team.

Oubre is coming in and doing what Porter was supposed to be doing at SF. If Otto comes back and continues missing WIDE open threes, we have to question the longterm fit of playing Wall with a wing who can't shoot.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#704 » by J-Ves » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

He's also shooting the three better than Porter probably ever will. Tbh Otto has work to do in order to earn a starting spot longterm.. Oubre is starting to look better at the 3-spot next to Wall, than anyone else on the team.

Oubre is coming in and doing what Porter was supposed to be doing at SF. If Otto comes back and continues missing WIDE open threes, we have to question the longterm fit of playing Wall with a wing who can't shoot.

I have full confidence that Porter will one day be a good 3 point shooter, and when that happens he will be the perfect complement to Wall. When that actually happens is anyone's guess. In the meantime, I hope KO keeps knocking down his shots, he has been a pleasant surprise.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#705 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:36 pm

It's a little too early to get carried away about Kelly Oubre. We're still in small sample size theater, and there isn't a scouting report out on him. Based on how he has shot during college, Summer League, and preseason, I find it hard to believe that he is suddenly a 40+% 3-point shooter.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#706 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:19 pm

J-Ves wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

I have full confidence that Porter will one day be a good 3 point shooter, and when that happens he will be the perfect complement to Wall. When that actually happens is anyone's guess. In the meantime, I hope KO keeps knocking down his shots, he has been a pleasant surprise.

I want to be optimistic about that as well, but honestly.. idk. Wall is a rising superstar and our franchise cornerstone, he needs to be surrounded by athletic players who can space the floor and slash. That's KOs game, he either shoots the three, or uses his athleticism to attack the closeout and get into the paint.

Otto is weirdly stuck in between. He can't really beat defenders off the dribble consistently, but his range doesn't quite extend out to the 3pt line. His favorite shot is the long midrange 2 - which, unless your name is Dirk Nowitzki is simply not an efficient/valuable shot.

I'm also concerned about Otto's defense, Wiz perimeter D is terrible and Porter is one of the biggest culprits. Per Sportsvu he's been our third worst perimeter defender after Sessions and Humphries, allowing players to shoot 6.8% fg higher than their average. Smaller players seem to be too quick for him, whereas players at his position and down seem to be too strong for him.

Length alone doesn't make a good perimeter defender, you also need quickness and strength. Oubre actually has even more length than Porter (7'2 wingspan to 7'1), but also much better footspeed, and already has a more solid NBA physique even as a 19yo rookie. Otto has frustrated many fans and even teammates, like Pierce by his lack of aggression. Kelly's main problem is actually being TOO aggressive on both ends. I would rather take an aggressive, athletic player and teach him to slow down than vice versa.

This isn't to bash Otto, but it's hard not to see how natural KO looks and not anticipate him becoming the team's best SF down the line.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#707 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:He's also shooting the three better than Porter probably ever will. Tbh Otto has work to do in order to earn a starting spot longterm.. Oubre is starting to look better at the 3-spot next to Wall, than anyone else on the team.

I want to be optimistic about that as well, but honestly.. idk. Wall is a rising superstar and our franchise cornerstone, he needs to be surrounded by athletic players who can space the floor and slash. That's KOs game, he either shoots the three, or uses his athleticism to attack the closeout and get into the paint.

Otto is weirdly stuck in between. He can't really beat defenders off the dribble consistently, but his range doesn't quite extend out to the 3pt line. His favorite shot is the long midrange 2 - which, unless your name is Dirk Nowitzki is simply not an efficient/valuable shot.

I'm also concerned about Otto's defense, Wiz perimeter D is terrible and Porter is one of the biggest culprits. Per Sportsvu he's been our third worst perimeter defender after Sessions and Humphries, allowing players to shoot 6.8% fg higher than their average. Smaller players seem to be too quick for him, whereas players at his position and down seem to be too strong for him.

Length alone doesn't make a good perimeter defender, you also need quickness and strength. Oubre actually has even more length than Porter (7'2 wingspan to 7'1), but also much better footspeed, and already has a more solid NBA physique even as a 19yo rookie. Otto has frustrated many fans and even teammates, like Pierce by his lack of aggression. Kelly's main problem is actually being TOO aggressive on both ends. I would rather take an aggressive, athletic player and teach him to slow down than vice versa.

This isn't to bash Otto, but it's hard not to see how natural KO looks and not anticipate him becoming the team's best SF down the line.

I see how you don't have a problem laying in on Porter, but constantly defend Beal. If Oubre should replace anyone, it should be Beal (who's demanding a MAX contract!)
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#708 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:52 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:I see how you don't have a problem laying in on Porter, but constantly defend Beal. If Oubre should replace anyone, it should be Beal (who's demanding a MAX contract!)

Laying into him? I've been one of Porter's biggest defenders on here, even when most posters were declaring him a bust and saying Noel should have been the pick.

DC has a rising superstar in John Wall, the franchise needs to build around JW with athletic talents who can space the floor, and generally hold their own on both ends. If you look at any of my posts from the offseason, I was 100% hopeful that Otto would be able to do those things - but he doesn't quite look the part so far. It's not 'laying into him' it's an honest assessment of what he's shown as an NBA starter. Some of his limitations can definitely be improved upon, but there are admittedly still a lot of question marks as to whether he can improve on others.

I still believe in Otto, but to my eye it looks like there's a more talented SF on this roster who may eventually be a better fit next to Wall. But it's still very early, who knows what any of our young players could develop into.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#709 » by DCZards » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:03 am

It's absolutely true that Otto does not have Oubre's athleticism and that Porter has not shown that he can knock down the three with any consistency. Otto's strengths are his high bball IQ and his natural feel for the game, which often leads to him being in the right place at the right time. Those are attributes (or skills) that should not be taken for granted. They can often be more important than great athleticism or foot speed.

In today's NBA, there's a place for what Oubre brings to the table as well as what Porter does well.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#710 » by AFM » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:39 am

You are right of course.
Is there a reason we can't play Oubre and Porter together?
I'd much rather punt on Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#711 » by nate33 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:02 am

AFM wrote:You are right of course.

Yeah. This is where I'm at too. It's nice to be enthusiastic about Oubre, but I've got no problems with Porter either. His 3P shooting has been down so far this year, but it'll come around. We've seen him go extended stretches with competent 3P shooting in the past, so I'm pretty confident that he has the ability. And I like the rest of his game a lot. Ignore his last two games when he was playing hurt, and he has an ORtg of 106 and TS% of .540. He's fine.

Also, for whatever reason, Porter is perceived as a meh player. Nobody is going to be offering him max money when his rookie deal expires.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#712 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:28 am

AFM wrote:You are right of course.

Wiz have three young wing players - two of them can shoot threes and will defend their position reasonably well, while Otto is good at a lot of other stuff but he's struggling with those particular things.

Wall is never going to be Steph Curry, this team is building around an elite drive-and-kick/PnR pg who needs floor spacing to operate at full bore. He's always thrived with elite shooters on the wing from Martell, to Ariza, to Pierce who were all reliably around ~40% from deep. Otto is shooting 27% 3pt this season and 29.7% for his career - that needs to change, because a sub-30% 3pt shooter next to John simply isn't going to pay dividends. Right now, Otto's defender usually helps off of him to defend Wall's penetration, he needs to at least get up to 35% 3pt or higher for the scouting reports to change.

Funny thing is, I've been to games and seen Otto shoot in warmups and he seemingly hits everything. You would think he's an elite shooter just from watching him, the ball doesn't even touch the net. But for whatever reason he just can't find the range in games.

There's still quite a bit of time.. but I think the writing is on the wall that Porter, at some point, needs to prove his ability to shoot to be a longterm starter/core player on this team. Not saying he has to shoot like prime Ariza when he was here, but at least get to the point where he's not guarded like a non-shooter from behind the arc.
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#713 » by Sluggerface » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:42 pm

nate33 wrote:It's a little too early to get carried away about Kelly Oubre. We're still in small sample size theater, and there isn't a scouting report out on him. Based on how he has shot during college, Summer League, and preseason, I find it hard to believe that he is suddenly a 40+% 3-point shooter.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. He has textbook shooting form for today's 3-point heavy landscape. He aligns his hips perfectly to the basket, stays loose, sweeps to the basket, holds his follow through firmly, and most importantly, believes hes going to knock down any shot he puts up, and he can given his length, size, and the speed of his release.

He may not average 40% for the rest of the season, but he's far and away a better shooter than Porter.
JonBones
Junior
And1: 332

Post#714 » by JonBones » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:39 pm

I knew this guy was gonna be legit. I was hoping for him to become a Raptor. Hopefully he keeps this up and develops a more rounded game. I do think he should stick at SG rather than SF though.
SizzlinSimms
Junior
And1: 55

Post#715 » by SizzlinSimms » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:26 am

I haven't been able to see the last couple Wizards games, and while I've heard good things about Oubre and it seems like he has good upside, I've also heard he at times looks lost on offense, especially with the ball in his hand and then passed off to Wall for a bailout with the clock winding down. Obviously he's a rookie and this will adjust over playing time and becoming comfortable, but curious if that's so.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#716 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Why do people keep describing Oubre as 19? He's 20 years old.

Very gifted, tremendous athlete, shooting the 3 well right now. Definitely a good defender already. Oubre has a big upside, and he had a great outing against the Nets last night.

But there's no point in crowing or even in drawing conclusions. So far so good -- and that's good enough! Especially for a guy Ernie picks.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#717 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:39 pm

payitforward wrote:Why do people keep describing Oubre as 19? He's 20 years old.

Very gifted, tremendous athlete, shooting the 3 well right now. Definitely a good defender already. Oubre has a big upside, and he had a great outing against the Nets last night.

But there's no point in crowing or even in drawing conclusions. So far so good -- and that's good enough! Especially for a guy Ernie picks.

Well, he turned 20 two weeks ago. Sorry, I didn't have his birthday notification pop up on my calander.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#718 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:30 pm

Just wanted to get a snapshot of his progress so far, in case things change dramatically:

15 points and 7 boards per 36 with good efficiency. He's shooting 43% from the 3-point line on 5 attempts per 36. That's pretty darn good for a guy who just turned 20. In 4 games as a starter, he has an ORtg of 145 and a TS% of .800!

When Otto gets fully healthy, I would like to see Oubre play some minutes at SG. From what I've seen so far, Oubre's length and lateral quickness is good enough to stay in front of 2-guards, and he wouldn't have the same problems he has at SF dealing with guys much stronger than him. Having Wall, Oubre, Porter and Dudley out there together would allow them to switch on every screen not involving the center. Porter could handle the secondary ball-handler duties, allowing Oubre to play the SF's role on offense.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#719 » by popper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:29 pm

The more I read this thread the more certain I am that Beal needs to be traded before the deadline. With Oubre, Eddie and hopefully Santo next year we should be fine at SG. Wall and Anderson can play SG as well I think. As others have noted, some kind of deal for Portis would be ideal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#720 » by tontoz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:54 pm

popper wrote:The more I read this thread the more certain I am that Beal needs to be traded before the deadline. With Oubre, Eddie and hopefully Santo next year we should be fine at SG. Wall and Anderson can play SG as well I think. As others have noted, some kind of deal for Portis would be ideal.

I am all for trading Beal at the deadline. At the least we should be able to get a 1st round pick for him which i would be fine with.

The only thing Beal has done well offensively over his career is make 3s. I see no reason to believe that KO can't replace much of Beal's 3 point shooting while getting more rebounds and not wasting as many possessions.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards