Post#21 » by FAH1223 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:03 am

mictic wrote:Man, we need a guy to close quarters. Wall is just terrible at it

Otto or Beal are better options.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Re: Bauru Basket vs Wizards Preseason Game #3 

Post#22 » by J-Ves » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 am

Harrellson can shoot. What do you guys think about cutting Temple and signing Harrellson for the minimum? I think I prefer Temple because of his solid defense and ability to play PG at times, but Harrellson might be the more useful option considering the lack of depth at PF/C for the Wiz.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#23 » by nuposse04 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:11 am

J-Ves wrote:Harrellson can shoot. What do you guys think about cutting Temple and signing Harrellson for the minimum? I think I prefer Temple because of his solid defense and ability to play PG at times, but Harrellson might be the more useful option considering the lack of depth at PF/C for the Wiz.

I'd cut Neal first.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#24 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:16 am

Yeah Harrelson is the sort of player who ends up on the Spurs as a useful back up. Neal used to be that player. Not so much now, looks like.

Harrelson needs to get in a bit better shape, but he makes the right play.
J-Ves
Veteran

Post#25 » by J-Ves » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:17 am

nuposse04 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:Harrellson can shoot. What do you guys think about cutting Temple and signing Harrellson for the minimum? I think I prefer Temple because of his solid defense and ability to play PG at times, but Harrellson might be the more useful option considering the lack of depth at PF/C for the Wiz.

I'd cut Neal first.

Neal's style of play is very frustrating to watch, but he has been a NBA rotation quality player in the past and he has been hitting his 3s in preseason. I think I give him a chance to prove his worth this season.
J-Ves
Veteran

Post#26 » by J-Ves » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:46 am

some notes on the game for those that didn't see it.

Hump went 2/6 from 3. So far in the preseason his 3pt% is .31, good enough to continue the experiment, but he needs to hit them at a slightly higher rate for the shot to be effective.

Gooden continues to be lights out from deep. Look out Hump, it looks like playoff Gooden has carried over to this season.

Porter was efficient again going 5/6 from the field and had a amazing between a defenders legs and 1 play that needs to be seen to be believed. So far this preseason Porter is shooting over 60% from the field, it has looked easy for him.

Josh Harrellson went 3/4 from deep in garbage time. This guy is intriguing, but I don't know if he brings anything to the table besides shooting. If he continues to do well this preseason I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the final roster.

Oubre more or less looks lost out there. He doesn't lack for confidence, but he certainly doesn't seemed relaxed. Don't expect him to get much PT in the regular season with all the wing depth on the roster.

Wall, Beal, Nene, and Gortat were all good as expected against non-NBA competition
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#27 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:58 am

J-Ves wrote:some notes on the game for those that didn't see it.

Hump went 2/6 from 3. So far in the preseason his 3pt% is .31, good enough to continue the experiment, but he needs to hit them at a slightly higher rate for the shot to be effective.

Gooden continues to be lights out from deep. Look out Hump, it looks like playoff Gooden has carried over to this season.

Porter was efficient again going 5/6 from the field and had a amazing between a defenders legs and 1 play that needs to be seen to be believed. So far this preseason Porter is shooting over 60% from the field, it has looked easy for him.

Josh Harrellson went 3/4 from deep in garbage time. This guy is intriguing, but I don't know if he brings anything to the table besides shooting. If he continues to do well this preseason I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the final roster.

Oubre more or less looks lost out there. He doesn't lack for confidence, but he certainly doesn't seemed relaxed. Don't expect him to get much PT in the regular season with all the wing depth on the roster.

Wall, Beal, Nene, and Gortat were all good as expected against non-NBA competition

Hump doesn't trust his role yet, it's all new skill set, looks a show on his 2 dribble slash to the interior with the ball in hand, and when hit in perfect rhythm at the right spot hesitates way too long before the shot goes up, it's not yet instinctual. The shots he did hit looked good. If he has a few successful games trusting the shot he could be alright but that dribble, uh not really.

Agreed on Gooden.

Harrellson boxed out well, made a couple perfect outlet passes that led to scores, caught rebounds just with positioning and anticipation, sets solid screens. He's got a dumptruck of a butt and was slow in transition but went for it anyway, needs a personal trainer kicking his considerable ass.

Oubre had the best seat in the house to watch the game, even when he was on the floor. We need a D-League squad. Kid has all the talent in the world but is starved for experience. Wish we could draft and stash him :D

Porter looks awkward even when he is being effective. But he is efficient and savvy and just plays the effin game. He's a Spurs-type player.

Beal. Eh. I always expect better from him. More. Star status. Playoff Beal year round. He's good, but rarely wows you. I dunno. Hopefully we sign him for a good contract based on whatever the market offers that's less than max, and then he realizes his full potential after.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:05 am

I think they could get a 2nd rounder for Temple - probably from Utah. He proved he belongs in the NBA, so I don't see them cutting his guaranteed contract. But yeah, I think it makes sense to do that - trade Temple for a 2nd rounder in order to open a spot for Harrelson on the team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#29 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:07 am

I like Temple just fine for his role. No point cutting him. Rather have him on this squad if possible. We need outside defenders on this squad until Oubre figures out what he can and cannot do.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:18 am

nuposse04 wrote:

I'd cut Neal first.

That actually might be the smartest thing to do - cut Neal to open a spot for Harrelson.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#31 » by nuposse04 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:38 am

Ruzious wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:

I'd cut Neal first.

That actually might be the smartest thing to do - cut Neal to open a spot for Harrelson.

So now we KNOW it won't happen :P

I'm hoping by midseason maybe we are able to consolidate Neal+Webster into something.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#32 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:10 am

Post#96 » by closg00 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Surprised, didn't know about Harrelson's decent 3-point shooting, that makes him even more attractive. Cut Mack and sign this guy to a small deal.

:wink:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#33 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:15 am

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#34 » by JWizmentality » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:29 am

Why is everyone so down on Neal? He's played decent from what I've seen and he hits 3s. Some of you would rather have Temple?? Christ, did I miss something?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#35 » by DCZards » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:41 am

JWizmentality wrote:Why is everyone so down on Neal? He's played decent from what I've seen and he hits 3s. Some of you would rather have Temple?? Christ, did I miss something?

Agree on Neal. I'm also a little surprised at the negativity toward him. He's been very productive as an off-the-bench scorer this preseason. Guy may not defend or pass well...but he knows how and when to score. I expect Neal to be an important role player for the Zards this season.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#36 » by nuposse04 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:45 am

DCZards wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Why is everyone so down on Neal? He's played decent from what I've seen and he hits 3s. Some of you would rather have Temple?? Christ, did I miss something?

Agree on Neal. I'm also a little surprised at the negativity toward him. He's been very productive as an off-the-bench scorer this preseason. Guy may not defend or pass well...but he knows how and when to score. I expect Neal to be an important role player for the Zards this season.

Gary Neal is the combo guard version of Kevin Seraphin, all he can do score... he has no other redeeming value... why should I want him on the team? Cause he likes to chuck it?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#37 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:55 am

DCZards wrote:

He was pretty awful last season, I assume that's what most are basing their assessment on.

The shots he's making now don't indicate that he'd be good during the season. But there's precedent with journeyman guys coming here and shooting better (look at Sessions, Rasual, etc)
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#38 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 am

nate33 wrote:Weird that Nene started and Gortat off the bench. I wonder if it's a disciplinary action of some sort.

Randy isn't crazy about Marcin Gortat.
Bye bye Beal.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#39 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:00 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:Weird that Nene started and Gortat off the bench. I wonder if it's a disciplinary action of some sort.

Randy isn't crazy about Marcin Gortat.

This was talked about before the game, they wanted to start Nene against the team from his home country (Brazil). Since the game was being broadcast live on Brazilian TV
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#40 » by DCZards » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:31 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
The shots he's making now don't indicate that he'd be good during the season. But there's precedent with journeyman guys coming here and shooting better (look at Sessions, Rasual, etc)

Yeah..and two years ago Webster showed up and had a productive year...and there were a lot of naysayers when he was signed.

Return to Washington Wizards